Can someone explain how believing in Climate Change makes you not a Christian?

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was recently told I am not a Christian because I believe climate change is a real thing. When I asked to explain why, they said that climate change is fake and part of the devil's plan to trick Christians. I was really confused by this. I know some of my friends on here don't believe it's real, and that's ok of course. We all have our views. But I am asking what the devil has to do with climate change being fake and what that even has to do with being a Christian. I can't seem to get any answers as to why exactly.

Only thing I can even guess is maybe fear? But that wouldn't make much sense since those into conspiracies seem to be in constant fear of everything being some secret thing that is after them or out to change the world.

So again, not here to debate if climate change is real or not, but how one fails to be a Christian is they think its real.

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟174,237.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Believing/denying climate change has as much to do with being a real Christian as taking/refusing a vaccine: nothing at all.

If you would like some advice it is this: use the Bible to measure whether you are a Christian or not. Any other method or criterion is a fallacy. And according to the Bible you are a true Christian if you believe in the death, burial and bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,194.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was recently told I am not a Christian because I believe climate change is a real thing. When I asked to explain why, they said that climate change is fake and part of the devil's plan to trick Christians. I was really confused by this. I know some of my friends on here don't believe it's real, and that's ok of course. We all have our views. But I am asking what the devil has to do with climate change being fake and what that even has to do with being a Christian. I can't seem to get any answers as to why exactly.

Only thing I can even guess is maybe fear? But that wouldn't make much sense since those into conspiracies seem to be in constant fear of everything being some secret thing that is after them or out to change the world.

So again, not here to debate if climate change is real or not, but how one fails to be a Christian is they think its real.

I can't answer that. There's nothing in the scriptures that says climate can't change, so it would seem to me to be a neutral issue Christian-wise.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

That's an example of someone allowing their political or social beliefs to influence their religious beliefs. It's fairly common in the United States. The issue of climate change is more or less a political hot button in the US. Some people -primarily American protestants- fall on one side of the climate change issue as a political matter and adopt their political positions as part of their religious beliefs. It gets more and more muddled as you sort through all of the ins and outs of the political beliefs and oftentimes politics conflicts with religion.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

A Christian would believe that climate change is actually happening but since God is in control of all things they would believe that it is at least the permissive will of God. Christians blame satan for all things evil. I think this might be the basis for their statements. I do not agree with their statement condemning you, that was wrong and unchristian. Hope this explains or at least answers your question.

Upvote 0

ElCamino

Dec 27, 2021
Culiacan
✟49,889.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

It's just people who mix politics with faith. They will also say you're not a Christian (or a real one) if you happen to disagree politically with them on other things.

I wouldn't take them seriously. You'll never get answers from them because they simply don't have them. They just repeat bits and memes they get from their echo chambers.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,319.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was recently told I am not a Christian because I believe climate change is a real thing.

That's incorrect.

When I asked to explain why, they said that climate change is fake and part of the devil's plan to trick Christians.

That's their opinion.
Climate change has nothing to do with the cross, believing that Jesus was raised from the dead and calling him Lord and Saviour.

But I am asking what the devil has to do with climate change being fake and what that even has to do with being a Christian.

Nothing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
SOME believers think climate change is fake b/c God wouldn’t allow Earth to change. So they think if you believe in climate change, it means you’re doubting / don’t believe in God. I think that’s silly b/c we know climate has changed throughout history.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Climate change is real!

What the cause of climate change is debatable and from what I've been reading
and hearing from scientists, man is not the main culprit.

Sure, we need to clean up our act, but obviously, doing away with
fossil fuels currently are leading us into a disaster.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I'm guessing it's just another tactic to distinguish those who fear the left.
Blessings

Upvote 0

Matt5

Jun 12, 2019
Zürich
✟133,488.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Climate change is not really about climate change. It's about something else - equality.

Equality: equality within nations (diversity, inclusivity, equality, equal stuff for all - communism) and equality between nations (immigration, globalization and climate change wealth redistribution.)

This helps to form the religion of equality, aka Church of Woke.

You can believe in climate change and still be a Christian, but the Church of Woke looms in the background.

Upvote 0

cankosker

May 15, 2022
Karlsruhe
✟15,621.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually, some passages from the Revelation can be interpreted as climate change being prophesized. At least Revelation 8:7 (forest fires), Revelation 8:12(the sun diminishing, which can trigger another climate change), Revelation 16:8 (scorching sun) and 16:12 (Euphrates drying).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Roymond

Feb 1, 2022
Oregon
✟7,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Single
Believing/denying climate change has as much to do with being a real Christian as taking/refusing a vaccine: nothing at all.

If you would like some advice it is this: use the Bible to measure whether you are a Christian or not. Any other method or criterion is a fallacy. And according to the Bible you are a true Christian if you believe in the death, burial and bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.

Actually it has less to do with believing/denying climate change because getting a vaccine qualifies as showing love for your neighbor.

Upvote 0

maxwaldo

Aug 6, 2022
Conde
✟8,020.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I think you mean not just climate change but man made climate change. According to the scriptures man and Christians even more have a resposibility to take care of the creation, being good stewards for the creation as mentioned not only in Genesis.
Having a big SUV running in a parking lot just to keep the AC working while shopping is simply an abuse of Gods creation. The US is the worlds largest producer of CO2, which leads to global warming. Anybody who denies this simply denies factual, scientifically proven, knowledge. To minimalize the human impact on climate serves only one purpose which is to maintain the dependency on oil and to maintain the cash flow into the coffers of the oil conglomerates, car manufacturers (although most of them have recognized they need to eliminate the combustion engine for reasons mentioned above) and simply supporting the laziness of the industry and consumers alike to adapt to new CO2 reducing/elimination technologies.
My advise: do not argue with climate change deniers, they are the victims of fake news, not you. You can not win this argument. Follow the scripture, be a good steward of Gods creation, and do your part in helping reducing CO2.

• Agree
Reactions: Roymond
Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2022
Upland, CA
✟16,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Please don't be concerned with the opinions of obviously misguided Christians, they are letting their (usually) rightist politics seep into their Christianity. However I would ask what role does your belief in climate change play in your life? Whatever your believe about a social, political, or environmental matter, it must play a subordinate role to your faith in Jesus Christ. Many climate alarmist are letting their (usually) leftist politics seep into their Christianity, if indeed they have any.

For what it's worth, I will state my belief that deniers and alarmist are both in error. Climate change has been happening throughout history, and human activity is responsible for a portion of it, though I doubt that portion is even a majority, but it is significant. Draconian solutions are very likely to have very adverse side effects, what is needed is a well considered gradual weening our society away from fossils fuels and the gradual embrace of green energy, which of necessity must include nuclear power if we are to avoid a catastrophic drop in standard of living/quality of life.

I can debate the matter all day, perhaps I'm right, perhaps it's more dire than I think, perhaps even less. But it's merely my human opinion, I have no guidance from God on which view is correct. What I believe is that I am a sinner and Jesus Christ is my Savior. If you share that belief as I am rather sure you do, you have grasped the central fact of reality, and issues such as climate change, however serious they be, are trivial in comparison. Be true to Christ and you will never be taken from Him, no matter what the misguided may say.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Cody J Dunbar

Cody-Gregory
Oct 19, 2022
Harrisburg, PA
✟13,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I was recently told I am not a Christian because I believe climate change is a real thing. When I asked to explain why, they said that climate change is fake and part of the devil's plan to trick Christians.

That is absurd, you can use neither option to measure if you are a Christian or not. If you don't have to interact with this person regularly, I would say don't be bothered by it. If you do, then it could be a bit of a prickly situation. I, too, have dealt with people who fuse their ideas into their religious ideologies. It isn't fun.

• Agree
Reactions: Roymond
Upvote 0