• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Can sociopaths find Jesus?

Mar 20, 2012
Way out in the Arizona desert
✟15,345.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That's a powerful story DB. I'd love to know what happens to him. I suspect there is a jail cell with his name on it and then he'll get to know Sheriff Joe. I do have one issue with your post, however:

Thank Jesus he had to move to Arizona.

I LIVE IN ARIZONA!

Upvote 0
D

dbcsf

That's a powerful story DB. I'd love to know what happens to him. I suspect there is a jail cell with his name on it and then he'll get to know Sheriff Joe. I do have one issue with your post, however:

I LIVE IN ARIZONA!

I used to live in Arizona also, love Sheriff Joe. He does a heck of a lot of law enforcement with very little money compared to others. I am sure this other one will meet up with the Sheriff sooner or later.

I knew this kid and his family back when I was a kid, long time ago. His mom was divorced, wanted to do whatever she could for her kids. I give her credit for trying. She got him (all of her kids actually, but primarily him) into our church's youth group and the Boy Scout Troop our church sponsored. He got kicked out of both eventually.

While he was in scouting and youth grouping I was one of the older kids who had to deal with him.

Having experienced this kind of evil, I will never be friends with anyone like him again. I really wish our youth group and scout leaders could have prevented him from joining in the first place, in retrospect.

The only time he messed with me personally was on the first camp out we both attended. We were camping in an area where there were other kids (not from our scout troop) riding dirt bikes. He talked a kid into letting him ride one. After showing off for a few minutes he intentionally ran me over, pretty much just to see what would happen, I think. I was not hurt too bad, and I managed to tackle him off the bike after he hit me. Then I lost my temper for a minute or two. I was a larger, tougher kid, so he did not mess with me after our first run in.

The younger kids suffered when there were no adults or older scouts around to protect them. I spent a whole lot of my time protecting younger kids and complaining to adult leaders for a few months, then he was gone.

I heard stuff about him from other family members from time to time after he left these organizations. It was all bad. He was in and out of jail a lot. Generally caused a lot of pain for a whole lot of people. He got two young teenage girls pregnant who I knew personally, and others which I heard about from his family. Tons of crazy stories, usually involving violence, drugs, sex, anything illegal and especially anything which caused pain to his family or anyone around him.

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2012
✟15,345.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I believe it. I met him a couple times. He used to go to the St. Geinero (sp?) festival in Peoria near my house. He had a booth and anyone could go up and talk to him. He's a bully, plain and simple. There's no two ways about it. But he was a bully at the right time, in the right place, running for the right office. Phoenix is on the cutting edge of crime. The drugs cross the Arizona border and the homeboys from LA run interference for them. It's big league crime and you need someone who isn't afraid of the consequences to stop them. And someone with the audacity to keep them behind bars at any cost to teach them consequences.

Joe started out poorly funded but these days whatever Joe wants he gets. Tent City is still a fact of life but the need for it has long since passed. He keeps it around as a form of punishment. Everyone knows it and everyone loves him for it. Every ballot measure to increase funding for law enforcement and prisons passes so long as he supports it--every one. However he does think he's above the law and the Justice Department will eventually shut him down.

Upvote 0
D

dbcsf

I believe it. I met him a couple times. He used to go to the St. Geinero (sp?) festival in Peoria near my house. He had a booth and anyone could go up and talk to him. He's a bully, plain and simple. There's no two ways about it. But he was a bully at the right time, in the right place, running for the right office. Phoenix is on the cutting edge of crime. The drugs cross the Arizona border and the homeboys from LA run interference for them. It's big league crime and you need someone who isn't afraid of the consequences to stop them. And someone with the audacity to keep them behind bars at any cost to teach them consequences.

Joe started out poorly funded but these days whatever Joe wants he gets. Tent City is still a fact of life but the need for it has long since passed. He keeps it around as a form of punishment. Everyone knows it and everyone loves him for it. Every ballot measure to increase funding for law enforcement and prisons passes so long as he supports it--every one. However he does think he's above the law and the Justice Department will eventually shut him down.

Times have changed. I was there when they started tent city. I remember when he stayed a night in one of the tents with the prisoners - probably for publicity, lol.

I lived in a ghetto back then, 46th street and Broadway at the Tempe/Phx border. We had crime problems. I called Phoenix Police regularly for about a year. Their first question was always, "is it ok if we send the officer to your door first to talk with you directly"? The idea was to intimidate me so I would not call the cops by identifying me as the neighborhood snitch when the cop came to my door. If I said no, they would never come by. I always said yes, I was a single guy with no kids, so what the heck.

Anyway, I got sick of constantly calling the cops and not getting any results. One cop told me bluntly, "they have to live somewhere". He was implying that it was ok to treat my neighborhood differently than the Biltmore area, or Scottsdale, or anyplace nice, like all these criminals had to live in my neighborhood and I should just get used to it because we were poor.

So, I called up Sheriff Joe's office and complained to his people about all the crime. He had both undercover officers there along with some marked units in under a week. Two weeks later Phoenix police sends in their anti-gang squad. They did not want Joe to get all the credit, I guess.

Anyway, in two weeks our neighborhood had all kinds of police/sheriff/undercover/helicopter/drug dog you name it kind of action. The drug pushers moved, the gang kids laid low, the crime went down, a bunch of bad actors got arrested and all of us law abiding folks were very happy. It is surprising how many nice, law abiding people actually live in poor neighborhoods. Yes, he bullied the bad guys with a passion. His boys were very tenacious and antagonistic. The Phoenix police bullied some too. It was a competition for a little while.

So, I guess I can forgive his "Broadway" image and his bullying. He helped my neighborhood back when we really needed it.

He is 80 yrs old now isn't he? Probably retire before too long I would think?

Reactions: Cactus Jack
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2012
✟15,345.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
He is 80 yrs old now isn't he? Probably retire before too long I would think?

Retire? Not a chance. He took full retirement from law enforcement before he even got to AZ. He's doing this for fun.

Oh, and that stay in Tent City? It was for his DWI.

Upvote 0

Tirgithin

May 4, 2013
✟7,885.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I agree with Spunkn. Before you take on a relationship it is better to work out your issues first. It would not be a healthy relationship if both you and a potential boyfriend are coming in with baggage and instability.

Having said that, sociopaths lack empathy and know how to conform, say and do what is socially acceptable. They can function well enough for none of us to notice. However, because they do not feel like we do, like feeling sorry, guilt, compassion, etc., I would personally not continue the relationship. You wouldn’t know when he is lying or not. They are very manipulative. And if something is not to his liking, he can become unpredictable. Would you really want a unhealthy relationship in which you will likely end up being used and traumatized by?

He will act based on what he wants, regardless of the consequences for others. Lack of empathy and all. Selfish. They are wired differently and look at things from a different perspective, their own. They live life by their own set of “rules”.

I would not take the risk. I find it curious that you would even consider it, if you have read about sociopaths. You can't change him. You will get hurt in some way (emotionally, etc.). And having issues yourself, the last thing you should do, is involve yourself with someone with issues himself and most of all, who might exploit you. And it is unwise to continue the relationship while being uncertain if God would create a miracle. Yes, it would take a miracle because these people are born like this.

It is better to be safe than sorry.

Upvote 0