Washington
✟260,525.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Satan’s kingdom will not stand, so from Matthew 12:26 it would appear that Satan can cast out Satan. Also Matthew 7:22 has many that cast out devils in thy name and yet Jesus never knew them. However in Mark 9:38-41 the person who cast out devils seems to be for Jesus even though he didn’t follow Jesus.

So I think Satan can cast out Satan but would like to know what others think. Are there any other scriptures that should be considered or any verses that show Satan cannot cast out Satan?

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Satan’s kingdom will not stand, so from Matthew 12:26 it would appear that Satan can cast out Satan. Also Matthew 7:22 has many that cast out devils in thy name and yet Jesus never knew them. However in Mark 9:38-41 the person who cast out devils seems to be for Jesus even though he didn’t follow Jesus.

So I think Satan can cast out Satan but would like to know what others think. Are there any other scriptures that should be considered or any verses that show Satan cannot cast out Satan?
Jesus certainly implies that Satan casting out Satan would be purposeless and counter to his (Satan's) goals.

Matthew 12:26 If Satan drives out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then can his kingdom stand?

Understanding the context in which Jesus speaks here, the phrase "casting out Satan" connotes Satan being forced to cede power and authority. This is entirely counter to Satan's goals, which is to increase his power and authority.

Satan's kingdom will not stand ... because Jesus is casting him out.

In Matthew 7, those that approach Jesus only CLAIM to have done His works, including the casting out of demons. I am surprised to find that so many who read this passage find it difficult to discern that those with whom Jesus has had no relationship (i.e. "I never knew you") ... are quite apt to be liars ... or to be deceived themselves.

Finally, I would say that he who John reports had been casting out demons ... was casting them out in Jesus' authority, ... although he was not a part of Jesus' immediate following at that time (i.e. one of the twelve).

I think that the immediate lesson from this scene from Jesus' earthly ministry teaches us that all who have unity with Jesus ... may not, in fact, be part of our group (think "denomination").

This idea is further evidenced in the early ministry of Paul. Quite soon after the restoring of his sight after his conversion on the road to Damascus, Paul took to preaching in the synagogues ... though he had yet to meet with the Apostles (that would come later). He was sort of a "lone ranger". The upshot of this is that Paul had to be rescued from the wrath of the Jews by the church ... and then sent off to be schooled in the ways of the existing church leadership.

After doing so for 3 years, only then did Paul meet with the Apostles ...

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

One only need to watch an extreme deliverance ministry to question its authenticity. Be blessed.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟825,826.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Jesus called Peter "satan", so was Peter literally satan or just doing what pleased satan?

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus called Peter "satan", so was Peter literally satan or just doing what pleased satan?
Satan literally translates to "adversary".

Obviously Peter was not literally Satan (i.e. the Adversary), ... although Jesus could have been saying that Peter was, in that moment, an "adversary" to the plan of God.

I interpret the passage as Jesus speaking the spirit of Satan (either literally ... or manifesting in the disciple Peter) ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

grafted branch

Site Supporter
Feb 21, 2019
Washington
✟260,525.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus certainly implies that Satan casting out Satan would be purposeless and counter to his (Satan's) goals.

Matthew 12:26 If Satan drives out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then can his kingdom stand?

Understanding the context in which Jesus speaks here, the phrase "casting out Satan" connotes Satan being forced to cede power and authority. This is entirely counter to Satan's goals, which is to increase his power and authority.

Satan's kingdom will not stand ... because Jesus is casting him out.

In Matthew 7, those that approach Jesus only CLAIM to have done His works, including the casting out of demons. I am surprised to find that so many who read this passage find it difficult to discern that those with whom Jesus has had no relationship (i.e. "I never knew you") ... are quite apt to be liars ... or to be deceived themselves.

Finally, I would say that he who John reports had been casting out demons ... was casting them out in Jesus' authority, ... although he was not a part of Jesus' immediate following at that time (i.e. one of the twelve).

I think that the immediate lesson from this scene from Jesus' earthly ministry teaches us that all who have unity with Jesus ... may not, in fact, be part of our group (think "denomination").

This idea is further evidenced in the early ministry of Paul. Quite soon after the restoring of his sight after his conversion on the road to Damascus, Paul took to preaching in the synagogues ... though he had yet to meet with the Apostles (that would come later). He was sort of a "lone ranger". The upshot of this is that Paul had to be rescued from the wrath of the Jews by the church ... and then sent off to be schooled in the ways of the existing church leadership.

After doing so for 3 years, only then did Paul meet with the Apostles ...
Thanks for your thoughts on this. 2 Thessalonians 2:9-10 has the statement “with all deceivableness of unrighteousness”. Since the good cop/bad cop scenario is a type of deception, it would seem logical that Satan would use it. So if Satan can cast out Satan wouldn’t this be a great deception to those who think it’s not possible?

Note: I’m thinking in terms of the beast and false prophet in Revelations.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
2 Thessalonians 2:9-10 has the statement “with all deceivableness of unrighteousness”. Since the good cop/bad cop scenario is a type of deception, it would seem logical that Satan would use it. So if Satan can cast out Satan wouldn’t this be a great deception to those who think it’s not possible?
But if he's REALLY going to do this, ... he would have to give up some degree of power, at least temporarily.

Do we ever see the truly evil do such a thing ?

Upvote 0

grafted branch

Site Supporter
Feb 21, 2019
Washington
✟260,525.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But if he's REALLY going to do this, ... he would have to give up some degree of power, at least temporarily.

Do we ever see the truly evil do such a thing ?
Well we have situations like Daniel 7:23 where the 4th beast devours the whole world and Revelation 17:16 where the 10 horns that were upon the beast hate the harlot and make her desolate.

So I think there are examples of evil against evil which results in one of the 2 evils losing power.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well we have situations like Daniel 7:23 where the 4th beast devours the whole world and Revelation 17:16 where the 10 horns that were upon the beast hate the harlot and make her desolate.

So I think there are examples of evil against evil which results in one of the 2 evils losing power.
So ... what you are citing is evil forces/powers fighting between themselves ?

Yes unity and cooperation is not a particularly strong feature of evil. But that's not Satan casting out Satan. That is more Satan displacing Satan. The difference is that, in the end, Satan is really still in control. When Satan is cast out, ... his control is vanquished.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,260.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Sometimes Satan finds it expedient to reshuffle his controlling powers to create a deceptive effect.

Example.

Person with cancer goes to a Shinto Temple for healing.

Prayer and ritual is performed and the individual comes out symptom free.

What is not seen is the transfer of disorder from the physical to the mental or spiritual part of the person - physical symptoms sorted - spiritual bondage more severe.

Only God can heal creatively - Satan can only adjust disorder to suit his purposes.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

I get the sense from the passages that Jesus asked a question to call to question the logic of those questioning him. He even said, those who cast out demons are qualified to judge, but those book theologians were not.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Doesn't Satan cast out Satan just by being Satan? Evil, by its very nature, is destructive. Destruction cannot persist forever. Satan is hating it.

Upvote 0

grafted branch

Site Supporter
Feb 21, 2019
Washington
✟260,525.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So ... what you are citing is evil forces/powers fighting between themselves ?
Yes.

In Revelation 13:2 the beast is given the power, seat, and authority of the dragon (Satan). In Revelation 13:11-12 another beast (false prophet) speaks as a dragon and exercises all the power of the first beast.

So here we have 2 beasts that both have the same power (Satan’s power).

In Revelation 13:13-14 the false prophet maketh fire come down from heaven and it is this miracle that deceives them that dwell on the earth. The obvious connection here is to Elijah calling fire down from heaven, with the main difference being the false prophet makes it come down while Elijah calls it down.

So in 2 Kings 1:12 the fire comes down and consumes the 50 men. I think we can only speculate on what exactly happens when the false prophet makes fire come down from heaven; but if this miracle is somewhat similar to what Elijah did then I think this could be a case of Satan casting out Satan. Also since Satan is transformed into an angel of light, this transformation could entail him casting himself out.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In Revelation 13:13-14 the false prophet maketh fire come down from heaven and it is this miracle that deceives them that dwell on the earth. The obvious connection here is to Elijah calling fire down from heaven, with the main difference being the false prophet makes it come down while Elijah calls it down.
The false prophet making fire come down from heaven ... is not a casting out of Satan.

Upvote 0

grafted branch

Site Supporter
Feb 21, 2019
Washington
✟260,525.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The false prophet making fire come down from heaven ... is not a casting out of Satan.
In Luke 10:17-18 after the 70 returned saying even the Devils were subject unto them, Jesus said he beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In Luke 10:17-18 after the 70 returned saying even the Devils were subject unto them, Jesus said he beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.
You're mixing up the cause and effect.

Jesus saw Satan lose power ... both initially when Satan was originally cast out from heaven ... AND as a result of Jesus' disciples casting him out of the lives of the people they ministered to ...

Upvote 0

grafted branch

Site Supporter
Feb 21, 2019
Washington
✟260,525.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You're mixing up the cause and effect.

Jesus saw Satan lose power ... both initially when Satan was originally cast out from heaven ... AND as a result of Jesus' disciples casting him out of the lives of the people they ministered to ...
So I’m in agreement with you here, Satan losing power is to be associated with fire or lightning coming from heaven.

I don’t think lightning coming from heaven causes Satan to be cast out or lose power, else every time we have a weather event that includes lightning a person could argue that Satan was cast out.

Notice the 1st beast in Revelation 13:5 was given power to continue 42 months and in Revelation 13:4 that power was given to him by the dragon. Would you agree that when this power left the 1st beast that it could be referred to as fire coming down from heaven?

Upvote 0