Can Salvation be lost?

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Okay @Bible Highlighter I will try to get around to answering what you've posted ITT.

Thank you.
Anyways, sorry for my delay in my reply.
Over the past few days, I was busy creating a chronology or apologetic on reconciling supposed discrepancies in the Resurrection Accounts. I finally was able to post my work on that yesterday in this thread here:

The Resurrection Gospel Accounts Reconciled!

Bible Highlighter said:
…why else would Paul tell us to work out our salvation with fear and trembling?
You said:
Okay, but we are also told that those who fear have not been made perfect (complete) in Love. I don't see this verse as suggesting that we retain a state of constant anxiety about our salvation. I believe God desires us to grow into an assurance of our salvation (maturity), and that is what this verse is telling us to do. To come to the realization of our new lives as born-again believers. To see our position in Christ more clearly. To affirm God's good will usward. To encourage a contrite spirit. To get rid of anything that holds us back from the realization that God has saved us in Christ. And to serve as a guideline or roadmap as we undergo sanctification.

Why all the trembling if it is not talking about fear in Philippians 2:12?

Proverbs 16:6 says, “…by the fear of the LORD men depart from evil.”

Point of example: Jesus said, “But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart. And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell. And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.” (Matthew 5:28-30).

I believe that fear of the Lord leads to obedience to God’s Word. When a believer is obeying God, they have nothing to fear from Him anymore. For how do you employ the concept of perfecting love so as to cast out fear? According to the Bible, it is by keeping His Word.

But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him. He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.” (1 John 2:5-6).

Also, while God has saved us (Past tense) by His grace, that does not mean we are forgiven of future sin, or that we can sin and still be saved or not worry about how grievous sin can destroy our souls spiritually. The Bible teaches in many places about this truth that one has to bury their head in the sand on it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Bible Highlighter said:
We are told:

“...We are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end.” (Hebrews 3:13-14).

"Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life." (Jude 1:21).

"...be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life." (Revelation 2:10).

We are told to:

1. Continue in the grace of God (Acts of the Apostles 13:43).

2. Continue in the faith (Acts of the Apostles 14:22) (Colossians 1:23).

3. Continue in his goodness, otherwise we can be cut off (just like the Jews were cut off) (Romans 11:21-22).

How do these truths plainly written God’s Word line up with your belief?
Simply put, the true Christian will continue in all these.

But that’s not how these verses are written. They are not written in way so as to support what you are saying here.

For example: Hebrews 3:13-14 if it was written in the way you prefer, would say, “We are made partakers of Christ because we have believed and accepted Christ. So there is no need to hold to being confident and steadfast to the end because you are changed by God by your one time decision in accepting Christ.”

Is that what Hebrews 3:13-14 says? No. Of course not.
It says we are made partakers of Christ…. IF….we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast until the end. It is a conditional statement. We are only made partakers with Christ IF…. IF…. IF (you do a particular thing that the Bible tells you to do).

Also, we are told to keep ourselves in the love of God. Is not keeping yourself in the love of God a salvation issue? Paul says that if any man loves not God he is accursed. Also, Jude 1:21 says we are to look for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ. Why look continually for his mercy if we already have it?

Why does Revelation 2:10 say be thou faithful unto death and I will give you the crown of life?

James 1:12 says, “Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.”

Sounds to me like James is saying that I have to endure temptation against certain sins, and pass the test on that in this life in order to receive the crown of life. Which is promised to whom? To those who love Him (Jesus). How do we love Jesus? By keeping His commandments for Jesus said if you love me, keep my commandments (John 14:15).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I believe in Synergism too. Only I believe it leads to sanctification, not salvation. Salvation is of the Lord.

Psalms 3:8
Psalms 37:39
Psalms 62:1
Jonah 2:9

Salvation is of the Lord. This is true. But in Synergism, we have to cooperate with God’s will and instruction by His Word for Him to move in our life. If we go against His Word, and or teach salvation cannot be lost (When the Bible says it can), then we will treat sin as if it is no more dangerous than a fluffy kitten when certain sins that are not repented of can destroy a believer spiritually. Yes, salvation is of the Lord, but we have to play ball on His terms for Him to save us by His grace, and by His working in us as a part of the Sanctification Process.

1 Corinthians 15:1-4 is the gospel.

2 Thessalonians 2:14 tells us there is a call of the gospel.

This gospel call is mentioned in verse 13.
The gospel call is… God has chosen you to salvation through Sanctification of the Spirit, and a belief of the truth (2 Thessalonians 2:13).

So Sanctification of the Spirit is a part of salvation (after we are saved by the gospel and or His grace).
Only God can work in us to live a holy and sanctified life. So that is why salvation is of the Lord.
God saves in both His grace, and Sanctification. But this whole process is cooperative. Synergistic. We are not forced against our will to be a certain way just because we made a one time decision in accepting Christ. Yes, being born again does change us. We will have a new heart with new desires, but we have to of our own free will choose the Lord each day and choose to walk in the Spirit by His Word. Believers have to also have to fight the good fight of faith, and lay hold on eternal life (1 Timothy 6:12).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
@Bible Highlighter

I'm curious as to what you think about Romans 10:1-5

These are verses that remind me of you a little bit.

First, Romans 9-11 is written to the unbelieving Jew who were under the 613 Laws of Moses, and who rejected their Messiah (Jesus) and His grace. So this is talking about how the Jews needed to be initially saved by His grace. Romans 10:1-5 is not talking about the Sanctification Process as a part of God’s plan of salvation after we are saved by His grace. The Jews made salvation primarily about Law ALONE Salvationism and or Jewish nationalism with little to no grace. This is why Jesus condemned those who trusted solely in their own righteousness (and condemned others) in “the Parable of the Tax Collector and the Pharisee” because they needed to accept God’s grace as part of being initially and foundationally saved (See: Luke 18:9-14).

Second, you have to realize that there was a certain sect of Jews who wanted Christians to be saved by first being circumcised and or by keeping the whole of the Law of Moses. For this heresy was addressed at the Jerusalem Council.

1. Acts of the Apostles 15:1 says, “And certain men which came down from Judaea taught the brethren, and said, Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved.”

2. Acts of the Apostles 15:5 says, But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.”

3. Acts of the Apostles 15:24 says, “Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:”

This is why Paul spoke against Law and works in the way that he did in the book of Romans, Galatians, and Corinthians. He was fighting against the heresy of what I call: "Circumcision Salvationism." This was a false belief that said you had to be circumcised in order to be initially saved. For if a person made circumcision the entrance gate and foundation of their salvation, they would be making a law or work the foundation of their salvation instead of being saved by God’s grace and mercy by Jesus Christ, and in believing the gospel in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4. This is why Paul spoke about the Law and works in a negative light. Anyways, Paul clearly condemns “Circumcision Salvationism” in Galatians 5:2, and he alludes to it being a problem in other verses. Just check out the following verses for yourself.

1. Galatians 2:3 says, “But neither Titus, who was with me, being a Greek, was compelled to be circumcised:”

2. Galatians 5:2 says, “Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.”

3. Galatians 5:6 says, “For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.”

4. Galatians 6:15 (NLT) says, “It doesn't matter whether we have been circumcised or not. What counts is whether we have been transformed into a new creation.”

5. 1 Corinthians 7:18-19 says, 18 For instance, a man who was circumcised before he became a believer should not try to reverse it. And the man who was uncircumcised when he became a believer should not be circumcised now. (NLT) 19 “Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but what matters is the keeping of the commandments of God.” (NASB)

6. Romans 2:28-29 says, “For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh: But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.”

7. Romans 3:1 says, “What advantage then hath the Jew? or what profit is there of circumcision?”

8. Romans 4:9-12 says, ”9 “Cometh this blessedness then upon the circumcision only, or upon the uncircumcision also? for we say that faith was reckoned to Abraham for righteousness. 10 How was it then reckoned? when he was in circumcision, or in uncircumcision? Not in circumcision, but in uncircumcision. 11 And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had yet being uncircumcised: that he might be the father of all them that believe, though they be not circumcised; that righteousness might be imputed unto them also: 12 And the father of circumcision to them who are not of the circumcision only, but who also walk in the steps of that faith of our father Abraham, which he had being yet uncircumcised.”

Circumcision was a part of the 613 Laws of Moses and not the many commands given to us by Jesus Christ and His followers under His New Covenant teachings.

Paul is not teaching Belief Alone-ism for salvation. Paul is condemning “Works ALONE Salvationism” (with many thinking they had to be circumcised in order to be initially saved instead of having faith in Jesus Christ as a part of being initially and foundationally saved). Paul was not teaching how future sin is forgiven us whereby it would naturally lead a person to turn God’s grace into a license for immorality (See: Jude 1:4). For in Romans 10:1-5, Paul is expressing how the unbelieving Jews need to be initially saved by His grace by accepting Jesus as their Messiah and believing the gospel in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4, and seeking forgiveness of their sins with the Lord Jesus. They needed to be INITALLY SAVED by God’s grace. That is what Paul is saying. The Jews were under the false belief system of Works ALONE Salvationism (Which is something I don’t believe). Paul even basically says that a person can deny God by being reprobate unto every good work (See: Titus 1:16). So this is proof in the pudding we do need to have the good work of the Lord moving through us as a part of salvation (Philippians 2:12-13). For why would the unprofitable servant be cast into outer darkness? What was the point of the parable? To show how there is a saved body of believers who will just do the work because they made a one time decision for Christ? Surely not. Read the parable of the Talents again in Matthew 25:14-30. Salvation is not Belief Alone-ism anymore than Salvation is Works Alone-ism. Both are wrong extremes. Paul condemned Works Alone-ism (Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 4:3-5, Titus 3:5), and James condemned Belief Alone-ism (See: James 2:17, James 2:24).

Think. The Bible ends in the last chapter with saying,

“Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.” (Revelation 22:14-15).

Side Note:

Now, I have ran into a select few Christians here on the forums (Note: It was maybe like 2 or 3 of them) who believe that you have to do works in order to access the saving grace of God. This to me is Works ALONE Salvationism that Paul condemned. I see this as wrong because I believe that we must be initially saved by God’s grace and mercy (without the deeds of the Law).

God's Grace Through Faith in Jesus Christ as the Savior
(Initial Salvation, and or Foundational Salvation).
(The 1st synergistic work of GOD done in a believer).
Being saved by God's grace through faith in Jesus as ones Savior is the entrance gate to salvation, and it is the foundation of our salvation (by faith) upon which we stand. Being saved by God's grace is believing the gospel (Which is the power of God unto salvation to everyone who believes it - Romans 1:16). According to 1 Corinthians 15:1-4: The gospel is you believing that Jesus Christ died for your sins, He was buried, and He had risen again three days later for your salvation (Note: Do not let anyone sell you on another gospel besides this one). Depending on a person’s access or exposure to the Word: Being saved by God's grace will also generally include receiving Jesus as your Savior (John 1:12), and calling upon the name of the Lord (i.e. confessing with your mouth the words: “Lord Jesus” or similar equivalent - Romans 10:9) as a part of seeking forgiveness of your sins with Him by way of prayer (Romans 10:13) (Luke 15:18-21) (Luke 18:9-14). This process of salvation is without the deeds of the Law or works because it is based upon God’s mercy and grace and His redemptive work. As a result: One is born again spiritually (Note: Born again by the Spirit, and born again by water (i.e. the Scriptures - Romans 10:17, 1 Peter 1:23)). A person is foundationally or ultimately saved by God’s grace because if they happen to sin on rare occasion in their Christian walk, they do not do a good work to absolve that sin, but they confess of their sins to Jesus in order to be forgiven of that sin (1 John 1:9) (1 John 2:1) (Hebrews 4:16) (For verses on being saved by God's grace, see: Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 4:1-6, Titus 3:4-7, 1 Corinthians 15:1-4, Luke 18:9-14, Romans 5:1-2).

For a more comprehensive picture of salvation, check out this thread here:

The Four Aspects of Salvation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
@Bible Highlighter

I'm curious as to what you think about Romans 10:1-5

These are verses that remind me of you a little bit.

Romans 10:1-5 is condemning “Law ALONE Salvationism” (without God’s grace) because the Jew needed to be initially saved by the grace that comes from Jesus Christ.

But we also cannot toss out the words of Jesus, either. For Jesus agreed with the Lawyer that to love God and to love your neighbor is a part of inheriting eternal life (Luke 10:25-28). These are the two greatest commandments (Mark 12:28-31). This truth is taught even at the end of Revelation 22:14-15 in that we have keep His commandments as part of having the right to the tree of life. For we know sinners (or those who justify sin) will be outside the gates.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
@Bible Highlighter

The hope of my salvation does not rest in my ability to repent. It rests solely in the finished work of Christ.

So tell me, am I wrong in that?

Yes. Try re-reading Matthew 3:2, Luke 13:3, Acts of the Apostles 2:38, Acts of the Apostles 3:19, and Matthew 12:41, cf. Jonah 3:6-10.

God commands all men to repent (Acts of the Apostles 17:30).

Side Note:

Repentance is seeking forgiveness of one’s sins with the Lord with the intention you will not commit that sin again. Check out the following thread:

My Biblical Case For Repentance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Then I am relying on my works for salvation. That is not the gospel.

It is not the gospel. The gospel is 1 Corinthians 15:1-4. Believers are initially and foundationally saved by God’s grace (Which includes the gospel in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4, seeking forgiveness with the Lord Jesus, and receiving Him as one’s Savior). Also, I am not advocating “Works ALONE Salvationism” (Which Paul condemned). Works ALONE Salvationism would mean there in no grace.

Living holy, putting away sin, doing good works is a part of the Sanctification of the Spirit (after we are saved by God’s grace). Try re-reading 2 Thessalonians 2:13-14.

It says the call of the gospel is….

God has chosen you to salvation through Sanctification of the Spirit and a belief of the truth.

2 Thessalonians 2:13 is not the gospel, but it is the call of the gospel. This verse is saying Sanctification is for salvation. Also see Romans 8:13 and Titus 1:16. Also see the parable of the talents in Matthew 25:14-30. Why is the unprofitable servant cast into outer darkness?

Side Note:

Also, your not addressing the verses I posted on the necessity of repentance involving salvation. Jesus told people basically to repent or perish. Not sure why you think His words do not apply for us as believers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟753,613.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Also, your not addressing the verses I posted on the necessity of repentance involving salvation. Jesus told people basically to repent or perish. Not sure why you think His words do not apply for us as believers

Yes, Jesus wants us to repent. But He also said this before the New Testament of salvation by faith was ushered in by His atoning death. He was speaking to those under the law.

What about all the verses about salvation by faith alone? Don't act like they aren't numerous in the Bible:

1 John 5:13
John 5:24
John 1:12-13
Acts of the Apostles 16:30-31
Romans 1:16
Romans 10:9
Romans 10:5
Romans 3:27-28
Romans 3:19-20
Galatians 2:20-21
Galatians 2:16
Galatians 3:12
Ephesians 1:13-14
Titus 3:4-7
Ephesians 2:8-9
Romans 4:2
Romans 4:5

Last edited:
Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟753,613.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The thing is BH, if I'm wrong there is no downside. All glory goes to God.

But if you're wrong, you get to stand in front of the Lord and plead your case as to how well you followed the Law and why you deserve to be in heaven.

I wouldn't want to be in your position.

Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟344,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

But if you're wrong, you get to stand in front of the Lord and plead your case as to how well you followed the Law and why you deserve to be in heaven.

No if we teach something and we are wrong we are sinning and will be held accountable unless we repent.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, Jesus wants us to repent. But He also said this before the New Testament of salvation by faith was ushered in by His atoning death. He was speaking to those under the law.

What about all the verses about salvation by faith alone? Don't act like they aren't numerous in the Bible:

1 John 5:13
John 5:24
John 1:12-13
Acts of the Apostles 16:30-31
Romans 1:16
Romans 10:9
Romans 10:5
Romans 3:27-28
Romans 3:19-20
Galatians 2:20-21
Galatians 2:16
Galatians 3:12
Ephesians 1:13-14
Titus 3:4-7
Ephesians 2:8-9
Romans 4:2
Romans 4:5

All these verses are 100% true. But these verses are talking about Initial Salvation or Foundational Salvation (i.e. Being saved by God’s grace), and not the Sanctification Process (or the next phase or step in the Salvation Process).
You need to realize that Paul is condemning “Works ALONE Salvationism” (that did not include being saved initially by God’s grace through faith in the gospel and Christ as one’s Savior). Notice how Paul refers to how they have been saved (past tense). This refers to a specific aspect of salvation, and it is not referring to other aspects of salvation.

Actually, when I read the Scriptures, I see 4 different aspects of salvation described.

#1. Provisional Atonement (not "Limited Atonement").
(A 100% Work of God alone that can only be applied personally to an individual's life via by being saved by God's grace and Sanctification).
This is Jesus paying the price for the sins of the entire world so as to offer mankind the free gift of salvation (if they so choose to accept it); Note: Christ's resurrection (to give us a new body not tainted by sin one day), and the ascension to the Father (after Christ telling Mary not to touch Him), and his entering the holy temple by his blood (to be our Heavenly High Priest) is also included in the Provisional Atonement, too. (For Provisional Atonement verses, see: John 1:29, 1 John 2:2, 1 Timothy 2:6, 2 Corinthians 5:19, Romans 5:6-8.) (Note: The best way to describe the Provisional Atonement is like a man who paid the price to pay off your debts by his handing you a check to be debt free; But it is up to you to receive the check, deposit it into your checking account, and pay off those you are in debt to; It's a gift, but like all good gifts in life, you have to receive the gift and use it properly to be of any benefit). Jesus provided an atonement, but it is up to us to receive it to personally apply to our lives by having a proper faith. Men will remain as sinners if they reject the Provisional Atonement of Jesus Christ. Jesus provided a provisional atonement (salvation) in dealing with sin as a way of escape for mankind to be saved through accepting Him (Who is the gift).

#2. God's Grace Through Faith in Jesus Christ as the Savior
(Initial Salvation, and or Foundational Salvation).
(The 1st synergistic work of GOD done in a believer).
Being saved by God's grace through faith in Jesus as ones Savior is the entrance gate to salvation, and it is the foundation of our salvation (by faith) upon which we stand. Being saved by God's grace is believing the gospel (Which is the power of God unto salvation to everyone who believes it - Romans 1:16). According to 1 Corinthians 15:1-4: The gospel is you believing that Jesus Christ died for your sins, He was buried, and He had risen again three days later for your salvation (Note: Do not let anyone sell you on another gospel besides this one). Depending on a person’s access or exposure to the Word: Being saved by God's grace will also generally include receiving Jesus as your Savior (John 1:12), and calling upon the name of the Lord (i.e. confessing with your mouth the words: “Lord Jesus” or similar equivalent - Romans 10:9) as a part of seeking forgiveness of your sins with Him by way of prayer (Romans 10:13) (Luke 15:18-21) (Luke 18:9-14). This process of salvation is without the deeds of the Law or works because it is based upon God’s mercy and grace and His redemptive work. As a result: One is born again spiritually (Note: Born again by the Spirit, and born again by water (i.e. the Scriptures - Romans 10:17, 1 Peter 1:23)). A person is foundationally or ultimately saved by God’s grace because if they happen to sin on rare occasion in their Christian walk, they do not do a good work to absolve that sin, but they confess of their sins to Jesus in order to be forgiven of that sin (1 John 1:9) (1 John 2:1) (Hebrews 4:16) (For verses on being saved by God's grace, see: Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 4:1-6, Titus 3:4-7, 1 Corinthians 15:1-4, Luke 18:9-14, Romans 5:1-2).

#3. Sanctification of the Spirit to Live a Holy Life
(The Next Step or Phase in the Salvation Process).
(The 2nd synergistic work of God done in a believer).
Sanctification of the Spirit to Live a Holy Life is the next step or phase in Salvation for a believer who lives out their faith; This is the work of God moving in a believer's life so as to help them to live holy, and to do good works and to put away the lusts of the flesh. These good works are the works of God done through the believer, and so all boasting or praise is given to the Lord. Therefore, there is no boasting in one's own work because they are ultimately the works of God done through the believer. A believer today who obeys the Lord looks to the commands of Jesus and His followers within the New Testament primarily. For believers today are not under the 613 Laws of Moses as a whole package deal (even though certain laws have carried over into the New Testament). Basically all ceremonial laws and judicial laws in the Old Testament no longer apply. For example: Believers do not have to keep the Saturday Sabbath, circumcision, dietary laws, animal sacrifices, holy days, etc.; However, believers must keep God's Moral Laws like: Do not murder, do not steal, do not covet, do not lie, do commit adultery, etc.; Two of the greatest commands that we should focus on daily is to love God and love our neighbor which is more fully described in Mark 12:29-31. We need to worship or adore the Lord our God, preach the gospel, help the poor, love the brethren, love our enemies, and live holy lives, etc. (For Sanctification verses, see: James 2:24, James 2:17-18, Titus 1:16, Hebrews 5:9, 2 Thessalonians 2:13, Hebrews 12:14, Romans 8:1 (KJV), 1 Corinthians 16:22, Romans 8:13, etc.).

#4. Glorification (The Future Salvation of the Truly Faithful Believer).
(A 100% Work of God alone that can only be applied personally to an individual's life via by being saved by God's grace and by properly applying the Sanctification of the Spirit to Live a Holy Life).
Glorification is when God takes the believer home to be with Him in His kingdom and He gives Him a new resurrected body that is not tainted by sin. This process of salvation (in being taken home) is a by product automatically for those believers who properly apply God's grace through faith in Christ, and Sanctification to their lives (For Glorification verses, see: 1 Peter 5:4, 1 Peter 1:4, 1 Corinthians 15:51-57, 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17, Romans 13:11, Philippians 3:20-21, Hebrews 9:28).

Conclusion:

God's grace, and then Sanctification is what we as believers need to be focused on. For if we are saved by His grace, and sanctified (which is only made possible by the Provisional Atonement), then we will be glorified.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Actually, the reverse is true. If I am right (and I am willing to bet my life on it), many believers who taught Belief Alone-ism (possibly not all) are teaching a license for immorality on some level (Whether they want that to happen or not) because if I tell a child that they are saved by a belief alone in Jesus and it is in nothing they do (and I never see them again), they could turn out to be the next George Sodini or Kenneth Nally (Turning God’s grace into a license to sin).

Check out this article here to learn more about them.

O.S.A.S. – THE WATCHMAN'S CRY

You said:

Question #1. What Law was Paul talking about?
Question #2. Is that Law still in effect?
Question #3. Is Paul talking about how he is without Law of any kind entirely?

Answer #1. When Paul speaks negatively of the Law and works in generic terms, he is not referring to the exclusive new commands given to us by Jesus (or all laws in general), but he is referring to the 613 Laws of Moses (Which no longer exists as a covenant contract because it was given to Israel and the temple veil was torn from top to bottom). Believers are not lawless. They are under a New Covenant with New Commands.

Answer #2. The Old Law (The 613 Laws of Moses) are no longer in effect as a whole or contract. Granted, certain laws have been repeated out of the Old Law and have carried over into the New Testament or New Covenant; Laws that have continued are laws like: Do not murder, do not steal, do not covet (Which is fulfilled when we love our neighbor - Romans 13:8-10). Christians do not have to keep any ceremonial laws or judicial laws from the Old Testament. Meaning, we do not have to keep the Saturday Sabbath, circumcision, dietary laws, and animal sacrifices. We also do not have to stone people according to the Old Law if they break certain laws within the Law of Moses. These laws were for Israel, and they are no more as a contract.

Answer #3. Is Paul saying we are without Law of any kind entirely? No. Most certainly not. Paul says,

“To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ, ) that I might gain them that are without law.” (1 Corinthians 9:21).​

Anyways, if certain believers (not all of them) are wrong about Belief Alone-ism, they could be leading others to treat God’s grace as a license to sin instead of teaching they have to live holy as a part of salvation (According to the Bible). For…

After we are saved by God's grace,
God’s works (done through us) are also required as a part of the Salvation Process:

(Here are a List of Verses):

#1. “Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only." (James 2:24).

#2. "Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.” (James 2:17-18).

#3. "They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate." (Titus 1:16).

#4. "If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; He is proud, knowing nothing," (1 Timothy 6:3-4).

Supplemental verse:

"...God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble." (James 4:6).​

#5. "And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him." (Hebrews 5:9).

#6. "Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord" (Hebrews 12:14).

#7. “...God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth” (2 Thessalonians 2:13).

Supplemental verses:

(a) “That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.” (2 Thessalonians 2:12).

(b) “...and hath given us everlasting consolation and good hope through grace, Comfort your hearts, and establish you in every good word and work.” (2 Thessalonians 2:16-17).​

#8. “There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.” (Romans 8:1).

Supplemental verse:

“For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.” (Romans 8:13).​

#9. "If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema [accursed] Maranatha."(1 Corinthians 16:22).

Supplemental verses:

(a) "If ye love me, keep my commandments." (John 14:15).

(b) “If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.” (John 15:10).​

#10. ”And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life? He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou? And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself. And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.” (Luke 10:25-28).

#11. “...if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.” (Matthew 19:17-19).

#12. "And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me." (Matthew 10:38). ”If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it. For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? (Matthew 16:24-26).

#13. "...No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God." (Luke 9:62) (cf. Luke 8:11-15, 1 Corinthians 4:15).

#14. "But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath, Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile; But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile: For there is no respect of persons with God." (Romans 2:8-11).

Supplemental verses:

(a) "Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls." (James 1:21).

(b) “Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.” (James 1:12).

(c) "For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved." (John 3:20).​

#15. “And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.” (John 5:29).

#16. ”And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.” (Revelation 22:12-15).

#17. “For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee. Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.” (Romans 11:21-22).

#18. “Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.” (Philippians 2:12-13).

#19. ”Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.” (Matthew 25:34-40).
“Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.” (Matthew 25:41-46).

#20. ”His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.” (Matthew 25:21).
”And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” (Matthew 25:30).

#21. “In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.” (1 John 3:10).

#22. “He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God” (John 8:47).

#23. “But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.” (1 John 1:7) (cf. 1 John 2:9-11).

#24. “For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 5:20).

#25. “Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock. And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.” (Matthew 7:24-27).

#26. “Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.” (Matthew 7:21).

Supplementary verse:

“For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication” (1 Thessalonians 4:3).​

#27. “And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet [Jesus], shall be destroyed from among the people.” (Acts of the Apostles 3:23).

#28. “I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.’ (John 15:5-6).

Supplementary verses:

(a) “Bring forth therefore fruits befitting for repentance” (Matthew 3:8).

(b) “And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.” (Matthew 3:10).​

#29. “And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear? Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls to him in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator.” (1 Peter 4:18-19).

#30. “For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.” (Galatians 6:8-9).

#30. “Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.” (Titus 2:14).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I wouldn’t want to be in your position because you have to ignore many words by our Lord Jesus Christ.

Jesus said that if we do not receive His words, those words will judge us on the last day (See: John 12:48).

Matthew 13:41-42 says,
“The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity; And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.”

Not sure you understood what this passage said.
But it is saying that the Son of man (JESUS) will send forth his angels and they will gather out of HIS KINGDOM them who do iniquity (sin), and they will be cast into the furnace of fire (i.e. the Lake of Fire) where there is wailing and gnashing of teeth.

In other words, any believer who does sin or iniquity (i.e. they think they can sin and still be saved because they have a belief in Jesus) will be gathered out of HIS KINGDOM (Christ’s Kingdom) and they will be thrown into the the Lake of Fire by Christ’s angels.

Now, see. That’s a dangerous position I don’t want to be in.
To justify sin is what Belief Alone-ism leads to in my experience with many I encountered.
Don’t believe me? Just check out this thread here:

Prove your case biblically that believers can willfully sin and still be saved while doing so.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

You fail to understand that God’s grace teaches us to deny ungodliness and that we should live righteously, and godly in this present world (Titus 2:11-12). Does your version of grace teach that? Well, if holy living is optional or just an occasional thing but not a requirement for salvation, then we can turn God’s grace into a license for immorality (Jude 1:4).

God’s grace reigns through righteousness (Romans 5:21).

The reason why Christ gave Himself for us was for the purpose in that He might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of the water of the Word (Scripture) so that He might present to Himself a church that is holy, and without blemish. For it is written…

“…even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.”
(Ephesians 5:25-27).

So there is no version of grace where it leads to ungodliness.

“And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;” (Hebrews 5:9).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Many who hold to Belief Alone-ism think that Jesus and Paul taught differently on the topic of sin and salvation.

While we are initially and ultimately saved by God's grace through faith in Christ, the Bible also teaches that works of faith, & holy living (Sanctification) also play a part in the salvation process. For both Jesus and Paul taught and or implied that works play a part in eternal life.

#1. Both Jesus and Paul essentially say you can deny God by one's works.

For Jesus said,
"And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity" (Matthew 7:23).

Jesus said,
"And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth" (Matthew 25:30).

Paul said,
"They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate." (Titus 1:16).​

#2. Both Jesus and Paul essentially say you need to drink of (walk in) the Spirit as a part of everlasting life.

Jesus said,
"But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life." (John 4:14).

Jesus said,
"He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water." (John 7:38).

John said this of Jesus's words,
"(But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)" (John 7:39).

Paul said,
“...God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth” (2 Thessalonians 2:13).

Paul said,
“For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.” (Romans 8:13).

Paul said,
“There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.” (Romans 8:1).​

#3. Both Jesus and Paul say that the judgment involves those being condemned or punished in the afterlife for doing evil vs. doing good leading to glory or life as a part of God's kingdom.

Jesus said,
"And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Paul said,
"But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath, Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile; But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile: For there is no respect of persons with God." (Romans 2:8-11).

Paul said,
19 "Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God." (Galatians 5:19-21).​

#4. Both Jesus and Paul taught that we have to continue to abide in the good works of the Lord or we will be cut off and or burned in the fire.

Jesus said,
4 "Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned" (John 15:4-6).

Paul said,
“For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee. Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.” (Romans 11:21-22).​

#5. Both Jesus and Paul essentially say that the fear of the Lord is a part of salvation.

Jesus said,
"Fear not them who can kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear Him (The Lord, i.e. Jesus) who is able to destroy both soul and body in Gehenna (i.e. the Lake of Fire) (‭‭Matthew‬ ‭10:28‬).

Paul said,
"...work out your own salvation with fear and trembling." (Philippians 2:12).​

#6. Both Jesus and Paul taught that laboring for the right kind of food relates to everlasting life.

Jesus says,
"Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you..." (John 6:29).

Jesus says,
"My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work." (John 4:34).

Paul said,
“...And having become servants of God, ye have your fruit unto holiness and the end, everlasting life.” (Romans 6:22).​

#7. Both Jesus and Paul spoke of a time in the last days of where false prophets shall arise who are faithless and who do not love (i.e. they will have a form of godliness).

Jesus said,
"Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?" (Luke 18:8).

Jesus said,
"And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold." (Matthew 24:12).

Jesus said,
"And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many" (Matthew 24:11).

Paul said,
1 "This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,
7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
8 Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.
9 But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as theirs also was."
(2 Timothy 3:1-9).

Side Note:

Please take note that James says he will show you his faith by his works (James 2:18). So the faithless that Jesus talks about are those who are fruitless or those who do not have any truly good works. 2 Timothy 3:1-9 is also a revealing passage, as well. Basically it is saying what you are not supposed to be like. For this passage describes those who have a form of godliness and they are lovers of pleasure more than lovers of God. This means that a Belief Alone Type Gospel (that leads to one not being concerned about sin or not treating it as seriously) is simply not true. For the moment I tell someone that all they need to do to be saved is to believe in Jesus and nothing else, they are going to not be concerned with living holy (because they do not think it is necessary to enter God's Kingdom).

Upvote 0