✟19,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This sounds like solipsism.

For any possible evidence that external reality exists, a what-if explanation is conceivable. However, as with many similar philosophical questions, it's not a question of which alternative is utterly unassailable and logically or evidentially airtight; it's not a question of whether we can prove beyond any doubt that external reality exists, but rather which alternative is more probable and makes more sense: That you are all that exists and that everything that you experience is the product of your own mind, or whether the objects of your perception exist independently and outside your own mind.

1. It is most intuitive that external reality exists -- this is what most people (I know that this sort of begs the question, but "most people" probably includes you) assume. It's most likely that you spent most of your life assuming that everything else was independent of you.

2. If everything was based on your imagination, then it's most likely that it would conform to your expectations -- there would be no unexpected experiences, or events that seem to be beyond your control, because everything that happened would be (pre)determined by you.

3. Emotions and similar mental states like empathy and altruism are highly unlikely if their subjects do not really exist. Why would you have empathy for someone who is the product of your own imagination?

4. There is simply no good reason to believe that everything else is a product of your imagination. While it's conceivable, there is no compelling evidence for this idea, merely the possibility.

5. What would "the world" be like if it was truly a product of your imagination? I suspect that it wouldn't be much like the world that you or I experience. For example, I suspect that it would not be a first-person experience in which you were apparently equal in ontology, power, intelligence, and all other attributes to everyone else around you. I would expect to have a much more obviously privileged status if I were the maker of my own reality. Even if I chose to imagine or pretend that I was in a world that was like the one I am in now for a time, I would expect to have at least some awareness of that fact.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟649,449.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Hard question if reality only exist by our own consciousness, than how do you know we not dreaming and having a lucid dream within a dream within a dream and so on and so forth if reality truly exist than this consciousness should also have its very own awareness of its own dont you think, or theres a reason this reality is the true one and we not living in a dream? Are we awake within a dream or are our consciousness always existed without our existence?

I do not understand the question but if it has something to do the world of souls,

Though I cannot for the moment remember his name,

a high water mark as far as names go.

When he was eight years old and was asked how old he was,

he would reply, "sixty".

This because he was confident that he shared the same soul as

Samuel the Prophet.

Samuel died at the age of fifty two,

52+8=60.

But then I have no idea if it has anything to do your question.

Just a thought that came.

• Informative
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

dóxatotheó

Orthodox Church Familia
May 12, 2021
South Carolina
✟17,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This sounds like solipsism.

For any possible evidence that external reality exists, a what-if explanation is conceivable. However, as with many similar philosophical questions, it's not a question of which alternative is utterly unassailable and logically or evidentially airtight; it's not a question of whether we can prove beyond any doubt that external reality exists, but rather which alternative is more probable and makes more sense: That you are all that exists and that everything that you experience is the product of your own mind, or whether the objects of your perception exist independently and outside your own mind.

1. It is most intuitive that external reality exists -- this is what most people (I know that this sort of begs the question, but "most people" probably includes you) assume. It's most likely that you spent most of your life assuming that everything else was independent of you.

2. If everything was based on your imagination, then it's most likely that it would conform to your expectations -- there would be no unexpected experiences, or events that seem to be beyond your control, because everything that happened would be (pre)determined by you.

3. Emotions and similar mental states like empathy and altruism are highly unlikely if their subjects do not really exist. Why would you have empathy for someone who is the product of your own imagination?

4. There is simply no good reason to believe that everything else is a product of your imagination. While it's conceivable, there is no compelling evidence for this idea, merely the possibility.

5. What would "the world" be like if it was truly a product of your imagination? I suspect that it wouldn't be much like the world that you or I experience. For example, I suspect that it would not be a first-person experience in which you were apparently equal in ontology, power, intelligence, and all other attributes to everyone else around you. I would expect to have a much more obviously privileged status if I were the maker of my own reality. Even if I chose to imagine or pretend that I was in a world that was like the one I am in now for a time, I would expect to have at least some awareness of that fact.
this question basically seems to question life without a diety and if its possible and solipsism is a similar view in this discussion if I think about it now not what im questioning though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,518.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
That you are all that exists and that everything that you experience is the product of your own mind, or whether the objects of your perception exist independently and outside your own mind.
We are extensions of God used to experience the creation we are part of and He is physically not. So it is not our own mind but His.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hard question if reality only exist by our own consciousness, than how do you know we not dreaming and having a lucid dream within a dream within a dream and so on and so forth if reality truly exist than this consciousness should also have its very own awareness of its own dont you think, or theres a reason this reality is the true one and we not living in a dream? Are we awake within a dream or are our consciousness always existed without our existence?
Hi dóxatotheó, did you find any posts useful to think on it from another angle, and get stimulated to see any new aspects from the thread?

Upvote 0

angelsaroundme

Mar 4, 2020
Georgia
✟140,726.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I believe some use this as a potential answer for the existence of evil. If everything is a dream than it has no genuine reality, so like in a regular dream where bad things might happen, the events have no permanence. You can lose your arm but it's still there when you wake up. It's an interesting idea. Sadly we have no way to prove whether we are in a dream, if the universe is God's dream, etc. Well, not without doing something stupid.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Denial of concrete reality is related to avoidance of accountability and judgement.
I wonder how the movie "Matrix" affects people's thinking in this area?

I had an interesting thought about my Burmese cat. He spends most of his days and nights sleeping, and has a few minutes of actual consciousness each day. So, from his perspective, life must pass pretty quickly and seems pretty short. From our perspective, he might live as long as 16 to 17 years, but from his, life might be a lot shorter.

Just imagine if you and I slept for 23 hours each day and had only 1 hour of waking time. Life would pass by very quickly and we would be wondering how the world around us would be changing so rapidly. I wonder if cats have the same awareness?

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,528.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wonder how the movie "Matrix" affects people's thinking in this area?

I had an interesting thought about my Burmese cat. He spends most of his days and nights sleeping, and has a few minutes of actual consciousness each day. So, from his perspective, life must pass pretty quickly and seems pretty short. From our perspective, he might live as long as 16 to 17 years, but from his, life might be a lot shorter.

Just imagine if you and I slept for 23 hours each day and had only 1 hour of waking time. Life would pass by very quickly and we would be wondering how the world around us would be changing so rapidly. I wonder if cats have the same awareness?

Mmmm... I am needing an afternoon nap - maybe this means the days are being shortened for the elect ???

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Mmmm... I am needing an afternoon nap - maybe this means the days are being shortened for the elect ???
Rip van Winkle effectively had his effective life shortened by 20 years, so good luck on that nap!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He spends most of his days and nights sleeping, and has a few minutes of actual consciousness each day.
What if waking "consciousness" is just one narrow range of the possibilities of consciousness?

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟649,449.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced

One thing for certain, pain is real.

Hit your thumb with a hammer.

Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private

Maybe we're living in a dream that God is having.

Upvote 0