Can Presbyterians Publicly Disagree with Their Denomination?

jinc1019

Christian
Mar 22, 2012
North Carolina
✟17,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello. Just wondering what the tolerance is for Presbyterian denominations allowing their members to say things publicly that disagree with certain denominational teachings. For example, would a PCA church be okay with a member (not an officer) questioning paedo-baptism publicly online or with friends?

I agree with 90% of the Westminster standards, but definitely not everything, and I'm wondering if I can in good conscience join a church knowing that I have disagreements. I'm not looking to stir up trouble in a Presbyterian church, but I also take church authority very seriously and don't want to lock myself into a church where I cannot freely speak my mind.

By the way, where I live, there are only two confessional Presbyterian churches, Evangelical Presbyterian Church and Orthodox Presbyterian.

Thanks for your time.

-Justin

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello. Just wondering what the tolerance is for Presbyterian denominations allowing their members to say things publicly that disagree with certain denominational teachings. For example, would a PCA church be okay with a member (not an officer) questioning paedo-baptism publicly online or with friends?

I agree with 90% of the Westminster standards, but definitely not everything, and I'm wondering if I can in good conscience join a church knowing that I have disagreements. I'm not looking to stir up trouble in a Presbyterian church, but I also take church authority very seriously and don't want to lock myself into a church where I cannot freely speak my mind.

By the way, where I live, there are only two confessional Presbyterian churches, Evangelical Presbyterian Church and Orthodox Presbyterian.

Thanks for your time.

-Justin
Maybe move on to a different denomination. That 10% may be what distinguishes them . Blessings.

Upvote 0

jinc1019

Christian
Mar 22, 2012
North Carolina
✟17,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Maybe move on to a different denomination. That 10% may be what distinguishes them . Blessings.
I understand the point. Unfortunately, there is no single denomination that shares all of my beliefs, and I'm not really a good fit for most evangelical/Baptist churches, because I do have a higher view of the sacraments than most of them. I have not totally ruled out going in that direction, though.

Upvote 0

9Rock9

Sinner in need of grace.
Nov 28, 2018
South Carolina
✟73,672.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

Thanks for your time.

-Justin

Well, if you are questioning infant baptism, maybe discuss it with a Reformed Baptist? They're basically Presbyterians minus that part.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

Thanks for your time.

-Justin
Hello Justin (@jinc1019), the conservative Presbyterian denominations (that I know of) do not require their congregants to hold the same kind or level of fidelity to their beliefs that they do of their pastors and elders. So, disagreeing and/or questioning a doctrine, especially to gain a greater understanding of it, is always acceptable. Standing on a soapbox and publicly teaching against a church doctrine (such as the doctrine of the Trinity) is another matter, of course, except in the liberal end of the Presbyterian Church (e.g. PCUSA), though from what I'm gathering from you, a liberal denomination is not what you're after.

Why not call, email or meet with the pastors of the churches that you are interested in joining, tell them that you have disagreements with some of things that are taught in the WCF, and then ask them if having such disagreements and/or questioning them will be a problem for you (or them) going forward.

If you don't mind me asking, which parts of the WCF are you in disagreement with?

Also, if you have the time, I would be interested to know if you disagree with any of the points of the Shorter Catechism? (I ask because I have a friend who has no problem with anything that the SC teaches, save a very minor disagreement with the wording of two of its Q & A answers .. and he is an EO priest ;)).

God bless you!!

--David
p.s. - see this from the PCA: Membership Vows & the Third Commandment

Last edited:
Upvote 0