Can please anyone give me a yes or no answer whether masturbation is a sin or not?

Is masturbation a sin?

• yes

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • no

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters

Nate2020

Jun 15, 2020
Pyeongtaek
✟16,624.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Hello guys. I just badly want to know whether masturbation is a sin or not I've watched many videos of many reformed preachers sharing their opinions on this topic but I couldn't even get a single and simple yes or no answer. I exposed myself to sexually immoral content when I was 4 years old and started to watch inappropriate content with my first cellphone when I was 9 years old. And I got addicted to inappropriate content and masturbation when I was 12. It was when I was 14 when I was invited to a church and got saved. I was still addicted to inappropriate content and masturbation even around the time I was a newly born again Christian. I succeed in not watching inappropriate content and masturbating for a few months but recently I've started to touch recently. So it brings a lot of guilt and shame when I touch and it makes me think that I'm going back to the time where I was a pathetic inappropriate content and masturbation addict. And I know that the bible doesn't say thou shalt no touch but I'm sure that God doesn't want Christians to touch. So please somebody tell me whether masturbation is a sin or not. I want a simple yes or no answer. Any answer would be very appreciated. I need help badly. Thank you for reading this and answering. God bless you.

• Prayers
Reactions: Broken Fence

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, it's not a sin.

Nowhere in the Bible is it mentioned, and God is very specific about what constitutes sin.

Many people say "You can't have masturbation without lust", but you can.
Stimulating the orgasmic reflex and lust are two different things.

Upvote 0

Nate2020

Jun 15, 2020
Pyeongtaek
✟16,624.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
No, it's not a sin.

Nowhere in the Bible is it mentioned, and God is very specific about what constitutes sin.

Many people say "You can't have masturbation without lust", but you can.
Stimulating the orgasmic reflex and lust are two different things.
Hey, thanks for stopping by and replying. But doesn't masturbation violate some biblical principles? Like the bible doesn't display all the cuss words that we shouldn't be using but it gives us a category. So I think that masturbation does violate the bible but I don't know what that is. There is not a single time that I didn't feel guilty and shameful after masturbation so I really think that God is tryin' to tell me that He doesn't approve me of masturbating. I relapsed today a few minutes ago and I felt really guilty of doing that and I still feel bad about it. So what do you think brother??

• Agree
Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello guys. I just badly want to know whether masturbation is a sin or not I've watched many videos of many reformed preachers sharing their opinions on this topic but I couldn't even get a single and simple yes or no answer. I exposed myself to sexually immoral content when I was 4 years old and started to watch inappropriate content with my first cellphone when I was 9 years old. And I got addicted to inappropriate content and masturbation when I was 12. It was when I was 14 when I was invited to a church and got saved. I was still addicted to inappropriate content and masturbation even around the time I was a newly born again Christian. I succeed in not watching inappropriate content and masturbating for a few months but recently I've started to touch recently. So it brings a lot of guilt and shame when I touch and it makes me think that I'm going back to the time where I was a pathetic inappropriate content and masturbation addict. And I know that the bible doesn't say thou shalt no touch but I'm sure that God doesn't want Christians to touch. So please somebody tell me whether masturbation is a sin or not. I want a simple yes or no answer. Any answer would be very appreciated. I need help badly. Thank you for reading this and answering. God bless you.
My view is ... that it would have the simplest thing in the world for God to specify that masturbation is wrong.

Yet, He didn't ... and He was specific in disallowing many other types of sexual sin.

My conclusion is that God desires that we manage our sexual appetites (which He gave us), ... in the same way that we are called to manage our other physical appetites.

Spending all of your time under the influence of inappropriate content and masturbation is not a good thing. But neither is spending all your time operating under condemnation for something which God does not call sin.

God, Himself, has sort of set a limit to how intense our involvement in such activity in sexual stimulation can be. It's not something you can devote your entire life to ... the benefit begins to drop off with over-indulgement.

Also, your hormones won't always rage the way they do during your youth. The urge will moderate as you age, so don't fear that you will be ultimately lost to indulging.

I learned to MANAGE my indulgence when I was young. Sometimes I would give in to my hormones just to take the edge off of its strength. It is good to get into a habit of MANAGING your sexual desire/indulgence. You will have to do so for the rest of your life, if you're lucky.

At some point, you will be faced with the responsibility of managing your sexuality while married. You will choose when to indulge ... and when not. Your indulgence won't always be possible ... or appropriate, .. and you must learn WHEN to say "yes" ... and when to say "no". This is something that you can begin to master at this time ...

• Winner
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hey, thanks for stopping by and replying. But doesn't masturbation violate some biblical principles? Like the bible doesn't display all the cuss words that we shouldn't be using but it gives us a category. So I think that masturbation does violate the bible but I don't know what that is. There is not a single time that I didn't feel guilty and shameful after masturbation so I really think that God is tryin' to tell me that He doesn't approve me of masturbating. I relapsed today a few minutes ago and I felt really guilty of doing that and I still feel bad about it. So what do you think brother??

Since you want to be told that masturbation is a sin , I will tell you that it is a sin. If you feel guilty then there must be a reason. Ask God to forgive you and He will not only forgive you but disremember your sin.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Scripture says that "Satan" is the accuser of the brethren (i.e. christians).

Satan delights in making us "feel" condemned ... for a few moments of physical pleasure. But think about it ... we pursue physical pleasure in a number of ways, for example ... eating. Yet, noone tells us not to eat.

Now, we should MANAGE our eating. For instance, its not appropriate to whip out a Snockers bar in the middle of a Sunday service, ... or in the midst of a family dinner. But that doesn't mean that you can never eat a Snickers bar.

You also can't go and filch a rib off of your neighbor's barbecue, ... but you can fix your own barbecue, and enjoy the fruits therefore.

In my view, it is the same with your sexual appetite. It is a gift, ... but it is a gift which must be managed appropriately.

Most importantly, God never once condemns one instance of masturbation. It isn't even discussed in the scriptures.

Don't let Satan fool you into allowing undue shame to hobble your life ... and your effective service to God.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I know that the bible doesn't say thou shalt no touch but I'm sure that God doesn't want Christians to touch.
I agree with you. It's always been a hard thing for young people to overcome, but today with inappropriate content freely available to prepubescents, writing those images deep in their consciousness, it must be worse.

But while I believe masturbation is not God's best for us, it is important to keep it in a broader context. Recall that the Israelites could not dispossess all the Canaanites from the land in one shot. They fought one battle after the other and it took many generations to finally take all the land. If you can overcome masturbation at once, that is great. But if not, the important thing is not to despair when you fail and to continue doing what you can. Don't let it create a wedge between you and God. Work on cutting out the inappropriate content. Spend time worshiping the Lord and in Bible meditation each day. In this way you will be strengthening yourself for victory one day. When you slip, confess it and get back on track. 1Jn 1.9 says God will forgive and cleanse. Take your stand on that as you work towards overcoming. If your heart is sincere grace has you covered until that day.

For sin will not rule over you, because you are not under the law but under grace. - Rom 6:14 CSB​

Upvote 0

Nate2020

Jun 15, 2020
Pyeongtaek
✟16,624.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I agree with you. It's always been a hard thing for young people to overcome, but today with inappropriate content freely available to prepubescents, writing those images deep in their consciousness, it must be worse.

But while I believe masturbation is not God's best for us, it is important to keep it in a broader context. Recall that the Israelites could not dispossess all the Canaanites from the land in one shot. They fought one battle after the other and it took many generations to finally take all the land. If you can overcome masturbation at once, that is great. But if not, the important thing is not to despair when you fail and to continue doing what you can. Don't let it create a wedge between you and God. Work on cutting out the inappropriate content. Spend time worshiping the Lord and in Bible meditation each day. In this way you will be strengthening yourself for victory one day. When you slip, confess it and get back on track. 1Jn 1.9 says God will forgive and cleanse. Take your stand on that as you work towards overcoming. If your heart is sincere grace has you covered until that day.

For sin will not rule over you, because you are not under the law but under grace. - Rom 6:14 CSB​
But my sinning wasn't against my will. I indulged my perverse sexual desires and I was even doing the things that were preludes of me masturbating. Doesn't the bible say that if a righteous man sins, he shall surely die? Would God forgive me when I've done this evil deed in his sight for multiple times in the past promising Him that I would repent and love him with all my heart?

Upvote 0

Nate2020

Jun 15, 2020
Pyeongtaek
✟16,624.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
My view is ... that it would have the simplest thing in the world for God to specify that masturbation is wrong.

Yet, He didn't ... and He was specific in disallowing many other types of sexual sin.

My conclusion is that God desires that we manage our sexual appetites (which He gave us), ... in the same way that we are called to manage our other physical appetites.

Spending all of your time under the influence of inappropriate content and masturbation is not a good thing. But neither is spending all your time operating under condemnation for something which God does not call sin.

God, Himself, has sort of set a limit to how intense our involvement in such activity in sexual stimulation can be. It's not something you can devote your entire life to ... the benefit begins to drop off with over-indulgement.

Also, your hormones won't always rage the way they do during your youth. The urge will moderate as you age, so don't fear that you will be ultimately lost to indulging.

I learned to MANAGE my indulgence when I was young. Sometimes I would give in to my hormones just to take the edge off of its strength. It is good to get into a habit of MANAGING your sexual desire/indulgence. You will have to do so for the rest of your life, if you're lucky.

At some point, you will be faced with the responsibility of managing your sexuality while married. You will choose when to indulge ... and when not. Your indulgence won't always be possible ... or appropriate, .. and you must learn WHEN to say "yes" ... and when to say "no". This is something that you can begin to master at this time ...
So, brother, you think that we as followers of Jesus can compromise with masturbation?? And I also was that you're married in your status box and I have a question about marriage. I think as a teenager that marriage is going to solve every issue related to sex. I'll be able to have as much sex as I want to have with my spouse and I'll no longer lust after other women since I'll have a wife but you said that even in marriage we have to control our sexual desires. Why is that? Isn't marriage the cure for every sexual desire?

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, brother, you think that we as followers of Jesus can compromise with masturbation?? And I also was that you're married in your status box and I have a question about marriage. I think as a teenager that marriage is going to solve every issue related to sex. I'll be able to have as much sex as I want to have with my spouse and I'll no longer lust after other women since I'll have a wife but you said that even in marriage we have to control our sexual desires. Why is that? Isn't marriage the cure for every sexual desire?
There's nothing in the scriptures that indicates that masturbation is any kind of compromise.

And marriage is NOT going to solve your issues with sexual desire. You simply enter another realm of life, ... complete with sexual temptation.

That's why it is important ... for you to get a good handle on managing your sexual temptation right now.

Not everyone can be a "eunuch" ...

Matthew 19

11 Jesus replied, “Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given. 12 For there are eunuchs who were born that way, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others—and there are those who choose to live like eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it.”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nate2020

Jun 15, 2020
Pyeongtaek
✟16,624.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Since you want to be told that masturbation is a sin , I will tell you that it is a sin. If you feel guilty then there must be a reason. Ask God to forgive you and He will not only forgive you but disremember your sin.
But brother, I want the bible verse that clearly tells me thou shalt not touch under any circumstances. I know that masturbation is surely a no-go for every Christian regardless of our genders from my addiction but I really find myself compromising that masturbation is not a sin after relapsing since I don't know any bible verse that tells me clearly that I must not touch as a Christian. And sure I know that there are some biblical principles that are against any related deeds to masturbation but on the other hand, I also know many bible verses to justify that masturbation is not a sin. So how would you comment on this brother? I really need advice. I am sick of masturbating and wallowing in guilt and shame from it and repeating this cycle. Please give me your thoughts.

Upvote 0

Nate2020

Jun 15, 2020
Pyeongtaek
✟16,624.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Scripture says that "Satan" is the accuser of the brethren (i.e. christians).

Satan delights in making us "feel" condemned ... for a few moments of physical pleasure. But think about it ... we pursue physical pleasure in a number of ways, for example ... eating. Yet, noone tells us not to eat.

Now, we should MANAGE our eating. For instance, its not appropriate to whip out a Snockers bar in the middle of a Sunday service, ... or in the midst of a family dinner. But that doesn't mean that you can never eat a Snickers bar.

You also can't go and filch a rib off of your neighbor's barbecue, ... but you can fix your own barbecue, and enjoy the fruits therefore.

In my view, it is the same with your sexual appetite. It is a gift, ... but it is a gift which must be managed appropriately.

Most importantly, God never once condemns one instance of masturbation. It isn't even discussed in the scriptures.

Don't let Satan fool you into allowing undue shame to hobble your life ... and your effective service to God.
But doesn't the bible say that worldly sorrow leads to death, but godly sorrow worketh repentance and life? I think that we have to wallow in the condemnation that comes after signing in order to truly feel sorry for our sins. And also are you saying that masturbation is okay when it's done with moderation? What do you thin brother?

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
But my sinning wasn't against my will. I indulged my perverse sexual desires and I was even doing the things that were preludes of me masturbating. Doesn't the bible say that if a righteous man sins, he shall surely die? Would God forgive me when I've done this evil deed in his sight for multiple times in the past promising Him that I would repent and love him with all my heart?
Of course God will forgive you. Is your sin more powerful than the blood of Messiah? He told us to forgive 70x7 if sin is repented; He will do no less.

Observe even in the OT:

"But if the wicked person turns from all the sins he has committed, keeps all my statutes, and does what is just and right, he will certainly live; he will not die. "None of the transgressions he has committed will be held against him. He will live because of the righteousness he has practiced. "Do I take any pleasure in the death of the wicked? " This is the declaration of the Lord GOD. "Instead, don't I take pleasure when he turns from his ways and lives? - Eze 18:21-23 CSB​

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

When I was younger and less-knowledgeable about the Bible, I got into some sexual practices that I thought were not forbidden by Scripture. I won't go into detail, but I was wrong. God led me to the passages which dealt with the topic, and they clearly spelled out His disapproval in no uncertain terms. I stopped, but relapsed a few times before repenting (turning around) and leaving it behind.

As another poster mentioned, satan can make us feel guilty about anything, and he will often focus on things which bring us closer to God, or things that help us stay on a righteous path. I believe masturbation is a great tool for managing our sex drives, and avoiding the problems of uncontrolled sex. Of course, some people take the road of struggling to suppress sexual feelings in favor of holy pursuits, and that's great for people who can, but some people find it much more difficult than others. The important thing is: if there's a way to lessen the sexual tension for young men which doesn't disobey Scripture and makes obedience to Scripture easier, why not use it?

Jesus said: "My yoke is easy, and my burden is light". I think this is one example of this truth.

I have two sons who are now in their twenties. I homeschooled them, including sex education. I told them that masturbation is harmless, doesn't contradict the Bible, and helps them control their sexual behavior. I also told them to only do it privately and alone, and clean up after themselves. They're good young men.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This particular topic is a gray-area issue, viz: it's a matter to decide via the dictates of one's own personal conscience. As such it falls within the jurisdiction of the rules and regulations spelled out in the 14th chapter of the epistle to the Romans.

NOTE: Rom 14:1 forbids debating gray-area issues.
_

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But doesn't the bible say that worldly sorrow leads to death, but godly sorrow worketh repentance and life? I think that we have to wallow in the condemnation that comes after signing in order to truly feel sorry for our sins. And also are you saying that masturbation is okay when it's done with moderation? What do you thin brother?
God doesn't say that masturbation is wrong.

Who else are you going to listen to ???

• Agree
Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can't answer your poll because it is both.

An analogy would be alcohol, is it wrong to let any alcoholic drink to pass your lips, Yes? No? The answer is both yes and no. It can be good for the health to drink a glass of wine and low alcohol wine was widely used in Palestine and Jesus had no issues with turning the water into wine for people to drink, and it was good wine.

1 Timothy 5:23
23 Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses.

Ecclesiastes 9:7

7 Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart, for God has already approved what you do.

Yet we also know that alcohol can be misused and cause many hardships. People get drunk, they abuse and kill people because of it, they get addicted to it.

Ephesians 5:18
Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit,
Proverbs 20:1
1 Wine is a mocker and beer a brawler; whoever is led astray by them is not wise.

So back to your original question and its answer of yes and no.

I exposed myself to sexually immoral content when I was 4 years old
You experienced child abuse. Do not blame yourself for this, you did not expose yourself, the adult looking after you allowed you to discover this. Your little 4-year-old self did not buy a computer and navigate to such a site, an adult lay down the ability for you to see this, the adult is solely to blame. A demon may have attached itself to you that day, a demon of lust. You may need praying over and you certainly need therapy.

started to watch inappropriate content with my first cellphone when I was 9 years old.
It is common for sexually abused children to move onto more and other sexual abuse activities. Children's whose minds are free of this do not gravitate that way. This is definitely a demon of lust.

I got addicted to inappropriate content and masturbation when I was 12
inappropriate content is sinful and very addictive. It can and will wreck relationships so that you can't have a healthy relationship. In this case, the masturbation was connected to the inappropriate content and connected to the images. This is sinful. This demon of lust is working hard to bring you down. You need to be delivered from it.

Masturbation with no connection to inappropriate content, no connection to any women that you see, no connection to past images is not sinful, however I doubt you can be free of those images even if the demon is gone. Once seen, things can't be unseen. It is the same way for an alcoholic, even though it is healthy for a normal person to drink a glass of wine, the recovering alcoholic (they are always recovering never cured) can never even take a small glass, do you see now why it is both a yes and a no?

Upvote 0

Of the Kingdom

Nov 26, 2018
Atlanta, Georgia
✟48,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nate,

Masturbation is commonly associated with the sin of lust. We know that viewing inappropriate content is sinful, whether masturbating or not. Wed know it's sinful because God tells us that lust is sinful. We can also figure out that it's disrespectful and harmful to ourselves and the persons portrayed or imagined. I will pray for your strength to put away the inappropriate contentography and reduce the effect of remembered images in your life.

If you have an unfriendly neighbor and you speak harshly to him or even think bad thoughts about him, you have fallen short of God's standards. The Holy Spirit may remind you and motivate you to repent of the sin. My point is that all our activities come with the risk that we will act or think badly, thus sinning. The more you mature in Christ the more sensitive you will be to such weaknesses.

If you were to touch without lustful thoughts, not excessively, then I cannot find any verse in the Bible declaring it to be a sin, and I think it would not be. It is very hard to avoid lustful thoughts, however, so your mileage may vary.

Please recognize that while you are in the flesh you will not be able to avoid all sin. Please seek God's grace to help you avoid the most serious sins first. Those should include things like inappropriate contentographic images and unkind words. I can't say if you will ever be able to touch without some element of sin, but you can put yourself in tune with the Holy Spirit and make progress. You can celebrate the overcoming of sin in your life, because Jesus has overcome it already. Realizing He is changing our behavior, freeing us from the practice of sin, is awesome.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

You asked for a simple yes or no.

So yes.

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Lust is one of the Seven Deadly Sins, correct?.....without Lust being involved, masturbation would have as much appeal as an Alcoholic drinking a NON Alcoholic Beer.
Of COURSE it is a sin! ......stop looking for excuses or compromises ..... own up to the fact that you are a Sinner who enjoys sinning.....you think that this will shock God? He already knows it.Even the Bible says that there is “ Pleasure in Sin”......The Bad News here is that even though Sin can be “ Pleasurable”—- It is only Pleasurable, “ For a Season”.....
You can grit your teeth, summon up all of the Will- Power that you can and be become the most successful Non-Masturbater after in the County and you are still going to have problems though. Jesus said that if you even have a Lustful “ thought” you are as Guilty as an Adulterer......gulp!
So now what does one do? The first thing is to make sure that you are a Christian and make sure you understand how Christianity works .Because Of the Price That Jesus Paid on the Cross, Grace and Forgiveness are open to every Human on the Planet.....to get those two Goodies, one must Turn to God as a Lost Sinner and put his Total Trust in Jesus it Save Him.....Simply Believe the Gospel Of 1Cor15:1-4, That Saving Gospel that declares if you Believe that Jesus died for your sins and rose from the grave, God will “ finish the job that He started” and “ Save you to the Uttermost”....
Lust is one of those sins that can be deep inside us ..... If one will REST in the Gospel Of Grace, God will put His Holy Spirit Inside Of us, and that Spirit, given time, will get to work on Transforming us.Only HE can clean up that “ inside of the cup”—— and THAT is where this problem resides.....Legalists hate to hear what us about to follow, but the Truth is, “Where Sin abounds ,Grace abounds that much farther”. That is not an excuse to sin.You do not EVER want to go down THAT Foolish, dangerous Road! God also says that “ your sin will find you out” and God will Chastise “ those that are His”.....
You will NEVER gain Victory over Lust on your own.....The best thing you can do is take this problem and “ Give it to Jesus”, do your best to try to live a life that is pleasing to Him , and when you mess up, confess your sin to Jesus to restore a broken Fellowship and thank Him for His Grace....If you are a Believer, ALL of your sins are on the Cross.....none of this has ANYTHING with to do with your Salvation.We are not saved by our Behavior— We are Saved by Our Belief, out Faith Plus Nothing ....

90% of the Population admits to Masturbation......most of the 10% left over are lying...If one “ wants” to do it, they are as guilty in God’s Eyes as the one that does it.....make sure you qualify for the Grace that God makes available for ALL of us weak sinners stuck in these flesh bodies......Trust in the Gospel Of Grace— Grace is the only answer for us....

• Winner
Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0