Can please anyone give me a yes or no answer whether masturbation is a sin or not?

Is masturbation a sin?

• yes

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • no

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hello guys. I just badly want to know whether masturbation is a sin or not I've watched many videos of many reformed preachers sharing their opinions on this topic but I couldn't even get a single and simple yes or no answer. I exposed myself to sexually immoral content when I was 4 years old and started to watch inappropriate content with my first cellphone when I was 9 years old. And I got addicted to inappropriate content and masturbation when I was 12. It was when I was 14 when I was invited to a church and got saved. I was still addicted to inappropriate content and masturbation even around the time I was a newly born again Christian. I succeed in not watching inappropriate content and masturbating for a few months but recently I've started to touch recently. So it brings a lot of guilt and shame when I touch and it makes me think that I'm going back to the time where I was a pathetic inappropriate content and masturbation addict. And I know that the bible doesn't say thou shalt no touch but I'm sure that God doesn't want Christians to touch. So please somebody tell me whether masturbation is a sin or not. I want a simple yes or no answer. Any answer would be very appreciated. I need help badly. Thank you for reading this and answering. God bless you.

Answer this question in your own heart: Does it bring glory to God?

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In Leviticus is said that people who had spilled their seed were unclean for a certain time period. That to me is a reference to masturbation as well as accidental nocturnal emissions.

Also, it is sowing to the flesh. If indulged in it only encourages more of the same temptation. We reap what we sow (Galations 6).

We are to walk in the Spirit not seek to gratify sexual desires. (I'm thinking of the first few chapters of Romans. Very early on, possibly chaoter 2, Paul describes a lot about carnality. He then talks about our new state and living by the Spirit. Perhaps Romans might be a good read).

OP you said you had a former problem with this area. Can you see how you questioning your convictions on this is can be a result of temptation? Anyway, God bless you brother. I hope you get through this trial, and trust in the Lord to keep you free from falling to temptation and that you keep your eyes on Him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WebersHome

Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In Leviticus is said that people who had spilled their seed were unclean for a certain time period.

Lev 15:16 . . . And if any man's seed of copulation go out from him, then he shall wash all his flesh in water, and be unclean until the even.

Lev 15:17 . . . And every garment, and every skin, whereon is the seed of copulation, shall be washed with water, and be unclean until the even.

Lev 15:18 . . .The woman also with whom man shall lie with seed of copulation, they shall both bathe themselves in water, and be unclean until the even.

Those rules pertain to sanitation; they have nothing to do with committing a sexual sin. If they did, then every woman who sleeps with her husband would be committing a sin when she does so, but I have yet to encounter a law in the Bible that forbids wives to be carnal with their husbands.
_

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,534.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello guys. I just badly want to know whether masturbation is a sin or not I've watched many videos of many reformed preachers sharing their opinions on this topic but I couldn't even get a single and simple yes or no answer. I exposed myself to sexually immoral content when I was 4 years old and started to watch inappropriate content with my first cellphone when I was 9 years old. And I got addicted to inappropriate content and masturbation when I was 12. It was when I was 14 when I was invited to a church and got saved. I was still addicted to inappropriate content and masturbation even around the time I was a newly born again Christian. I succeed in not watching inappropriate content and masturbating for a few months but recently I've started to touch recently. So it brings a lot of guilt and shame when I touch and it makes me think that I'm going back to the time where I was a pathetic inappropriate content and masturbation addict. And I know that the bible doesn't say thou shalt no touch but I'm sure that God doesn't want Christians to touch. So please somebody tell me whether masturbation is a sin or not. I want a simple yes or no answer. Any answer would be very appreciated. I need help badly. Thank you for reading this and answering. God bless you.
You haven't yet realized what it means to be a sinner. You think sin is something you do. Sin is not what you do but who you are. Everything you do is mixed with sin. The very best of your times close with the Savior is filled with sin.

Sin is not outside you but in your heart. You were born with a depraved heart full of lust and every evil imaginable. The act of sin is just the result of who you are by nature. You can no more avoid it than you can breathing.

Religion, especially Reformed religion, points you to what you do not what you are. ( I am a so-called Calvinist just not reformed) It is atrocious and points you away from the Savior instead of to Him.

The Lord God and Savior Jesus Christ took upon Himself all the sin of His elect. He put it away by the sacrifice of Himself. There is no more sin as far as they are concerned. They are clean in the eyes of a thrice holy God. Any who are in Him are without sin because He completely satisfied God on their behalf.

In Him is no sin.

(1Jn 4:17) Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.

(1Jn 3:5) And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.

Can you grasp what these verses are saying? As a believer you have no sin. Christ Jesus the Lord has put it away. He rose again because the sin that He bore is gone never to be found again.

Religion emphasizes looking at yourself and what you do. Truth simply looks to Christ as enough for God and enough for me. We walk by faith not by sight. that means that daily we do not look at or to ourselves to please God but to Christ who has already done all that is necessary.

We sin in every thought and deed while we live in this body of corruption. And looking at our sin only pours on guilt and bondage to a belief that we must be pure in this corrupt and evil flesh . It is impossible. We simply look to Christ as all in all. Christ, Christ, Christ is all our hope, all our acceptance and all we need.

Now does that mean we just live like a reprobate and follow our sinful desires as we please?

Of course not! We live with an eye on pleasing Him who loved us and gave Himself for us.We do not want to dishonor Him, though we can't help it because of the sin that is still in this body of death that we live in, but to live honorably and righteously as He is. We hate our sin and desire to be rid of it and seek daily to not let our old man rule us.

Don't give in tho the old man but walk daily by faith looking to Him who not only knows our sin but has already made it invisible to God. Don't live by rules and law but by faith in Him who pleased God for us and works in us to bring us to that holy and pure eternal bliss where we shall see Him face to face and be like Him. Without sin and without any of the desire to sin.

Look to Him! Hw is all we need and all we desire. God is pleased with Him and us in Him What else do you need?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Lev 15:16 . . . And if any man's seed of copulation go out from him, then he shall wash all his flesh in water, and be unclean until the even.

Lev 15:17 . . . And every garment, and every skin, whereon is the seed of copulation, shall be washed with water, and be unclean until the even.

Lev 15:18 . . .The woman also with whom man shall lie with seed of copulation, they shall both bathe themselves in water, and be unclean until the even.

Those rules pertain to sanitation; they have nothing to do with committing a sexual sin. If they did, then every woman who sleeps with her husband would be committing a sin when she does so, but I have yet to encounter a law in the Bible that forbids wives to be carnal with their husbands.
_
Hi, my post did not say that Leviticus labels it sinful. I said they would be unclean for a certain time period. Of course it wouldn't say intercourse with a wife was sinful as those organs were given to man in order to 'be fruitful and multiply' as opposed to gratifying the flesh unto being in bondage to it. Hence why I referred to Galations 6 too.

Thank you for providing the relevent verses I am glad that you have.

Upvote 0

JM

Coram Deo.
Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟738,496.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Calvin on the sin of Onan, "the voluntary spilling of sperm outside of intercourse between a man and a woman is a monstrous thing. Deliberately to withdraw from coitus in order that sperm may fall on the ground is double monstrous." Other historic commentators refer to natural law, the natural use of the body, based on the purpose for which it was created. Romans 1:26–27, 2:14

At the very least feeding the lusts of the flesh is probably not a good thing.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0

WebersHome

Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Calvin on the sin of Onan, "the voluntary spilling of sperm outside of intercourse between a man and a woman is a monstrous thing. Deliberately to withdraw from coitus in order that sperm may fall on the ground is double monstrous."

Gen 38:6-10 . . And Judah took a wife for Er his firstborn, whose name was Tamar. And Er, Judah's firstborn, was wicked in the sight of The Lord; and The Lord slew him.

. . . And Judah said unto Onan, Go in unto thy brother's wife, and marry her, and raise up seed to thy brother. And Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and it came to pass, when he went in unto his brother's wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest that he should give seed to his brother. And the thing which he did displeased the LORD: wherefore he slew him also.

It was an Israelite man's sacred duty in those days to cohabit with a deceased brother's wife in order to provide the childless dead man with an heir. The Lord lowered the boom on Onan because the practice of birth control in those instances is unforgiveable.
_

Upvote 0

WebersHome

Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So please somebody tell me whether masturbation is a sin or not. I want a simple yes or no answer.

There is no simple yes or no answer. This is something that each individual has to decide for their own self in accord with the principles stipulated in the fourteenth chapter of the epistle to the Romans.

In a nutshell; if you feel guilty with self gratification, then for you it's wrong, but for others maybe not.

NOTE: Self gratification is neither forbidden nor condoned in the Bible, i.e. it's a gray area. That fourteenth chapter in Romans strictly forbids debating gray areas.
_

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WebersHome

Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Gen 1:28a . . God blessed them and God said to them: Be fruitful and increase,

Some interpret that verse to be an edict requiring married people to have children; and that they have no business getting married for any other reason. But the wording is so obviously a blessing rather than a law.

It's always best to regard blessings as benefits, approvals, and/or empowerments unless clearly indicated otherwise. Some blessings have to be merited (e.g. Deut 28:1-13) but not this one. It was neither requested nor was it earned-- it was freely given without any strings attached and nothing asked in return.

NOTE: According to Gen 2:18-24, marriage is primarily for the purpose of companionship rather than procreation. And according to 1Cor 7:2-9, marriage is also for the purpose of carnal gratification. In other words: it's okay to marry for sex.
_

Upvote 0

WebersHome

Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The passage below has helped to warp thousands of innocent psyches; and to laden men with unnecessary guilt complexes.

Matt 5:27-28 . .You have heard that it was said: You shall not commit adultery. But I say to you, everyone who looks at a woman with lust has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Before we can even begin to apply what Christ said about adultery; we first have to categorize the "woman" about whom he spoke. Well; she's obviously somebody's wife because adultery is defined as voluntary carnal activity between a married man and someone other than his wife, or between a married woman and someone other than her husband. In other words; in order for an incident to qualify as adultery, at least one of the participants has to be married.

The Greek word for "lust" is epithumeo (ep-ee-thoo-meh'-o) which means: to set the heart upon.

Setting one's heart upon something is a whole lot different than merely liking something and wanting it. The one whose heart is set upon something is in the process of finding a way to get it; and as such comes under the rules that control covetousness; which read:

Ex 20:17 . .You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, his male or female slave, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.

In other words; when Jesus said "but I say to you" he wasn't introducing something new. It was old hat in the covenant that Moses' people agreed upon with God back in the Old Testament.

Coveting, per se, isn't a sin. Paul encouraged the Corinthian Christians to "covet earnestly" the best spiritual gifts (1Cor 12:31) and to covet prophesy (1Cor 14:39). To "covet earnestly" means you go after something with the full intention of possessing it.

Ex 20:17 doesn't condemn erotic fantasies nor a healthy male libido, no, it condemns scheming to take something of your neighbor's instead of getting your own.

Rom 13:14 . . Make not provision for the flesh, to fulfill the lusts thereof.

The emphasis there is not upon human nature's desires, rather, upon taking steps to fulfill them; which has the distinction of being the correct interpretation of Matt 5:27-28.

So then, are Ex 20:17 and Matt 5:27-28 saying that a man can't look across the street at his neighbor's Harley and drool over it, turning green with envy? Or that a man can't gape at his neighbor's buxom wife, undressing her with his eyes, and having erotic fantasies about her? No, the kind of lust we're talking about here doesn't imply that at all. It implies a man going after the neighbor's Harley, and his buxom wife instead of getting his own.

Coming at this from the opposite direction: in the movie "The Bridges Of Madison County", there's a precise moment when a married Francesca Johnson makes a definite decision to initiate an affair with free-lance photographer Robert Kincaid. Francesca was okay with Robert up till the moment of her decision; but from that moment on, Mrs. Johnson was an adulteress before she and Robert even slept together because it was in her heart to make it happen.

So; where does inappropriate contentography fit in? This is something that each individual has to decide for their own self in accord with the principles stipulated in the fourteenth chapter of the epistle to the Romans.

In a nutshell; if you feel guilty viewing inappropriate content, then for you it's wrong, but for others maybe not.

NOTE: Viewing inappropriate content is neither forbidden nor condoned in the Bible, i.e. it's a gray area. That fourteenth chapter in Romans strictly forbids debating gray areas.
_

Upvote 0

JM

Coram Deo.
Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟738,496.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
NOTE: Viewing inappropriate content is neither forbidden nor condoned in the Bible, i.e. it's a gray area. That fourteenth chapter in Romans strictly forbids debating gray areas.
_

Godly wisdom gained from a biblical worldview disagrees. Encouraging sin is sin.

Upvote 0

JLHargus

Sep 10, 2018
Columbus
✟33,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hello guys. I just badly want to know whether masturbation is a sin or not I've watched many videos of many reformed preachers sharing their opinions on this topic but I couldn't even get a single and simple yes or no answer.

Catechism of the Catholic Church: 2352 By masturbation is to be understood the deliberate stimulation of the genital organs in order to derive sexual pleasure. "Both the Magisterium of the Church, in the course of a constant tradition, and the moral sense of the faithful have been in no doubt and have firmly maintained that masturbation is an intrinsically and gravely disordered action." "The deliberate use of the sexual faculty, for whatever reason, outside of marriage is essentially contrary to its purpose." For here sexual pleasure is sought outside of "the sexual relationship which is demanded by the moral order and in which the total meaning of mutual self-giving and human procreation in the context of true love is achieved

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Abi Salomao

Jul 7, 2020
Antioch
✟649.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Single
So please somebody tell me whether masturbation is a sin or not. I want a simple yes or no answer.
Yes.

As one who has those self-inflicting wounds healed by Jesus and those chains broken by the same, there is power in the blood. You must acknowledge that every failure in regards being a "living sacrifice" [Rom. 12:1] wounds the heart of Christ Jesus, wounds the heart of the Father, and grieves the Holy Ghost.

Rom_12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.​

Without meaning to belittle you, or your situation, or statements, what is the evidence that you are 'born again'? Being under conviction is not such evidence. Have you truly called upon the name of the Lord Jesus Christ to deliver you from so great a death [2 Cor. 1:10]?

Jesus, by the Holy Ghost, overcame all the lusts of the flesh, the lust of the eyes and the pride of life. If you desire to be made free, He will make you free, but there will be an exchange that takes place.

Your mind is the drug factory that you are 'fiending' for. The lust cycle. This must be shattered by Jesus Christ. He will stand in the gap of the mind and heart if you desire. Satan will come and attempt to whisper in your ear about your past, about your pleasure, about how little harm you do to yourself (which he will never show you how it all accumulates in your destruction). Instead, you must go and read about Gethsemane, and about Calvary over and over until it is fixed in your mind. Your actions brought this about.

Consider the shame of Calvary. The shame you feel and depression of failure of being unable to break free of the cycle. Christ Jesus bore your shame, your guilt, your punishment. He took your sins, even the sin of the whole world, upon Himself. It was crushing out His life in Gethsemane, even to the sweating of blood. It killed Him at Calvary.

You must confess upon your knees to God, in the plainest manner, and tell Him your sins, leave nothing unsaid. Tell Him all the darkness, and then ask for mercy, ask for grace, ask for the LORD Jesus to save you, in those very words. You must cry out. You must seek after until you have what you need. Freedom. Clarity. Peace. Rest.

For every time you release, your life is spilling out of you [Pro. 4:23], and it will drain you, especially males, for they nearly use up all their Zinc in their pouring out, and this will bring, over time, catastrophic results, from simple hair loss, anxiety, to complete madness [zinc is used in neuron communication and in the central nervous system]. Zinc is precious, but this is not all that takes place in the cascade effects. The adrenaline, and morphine, gonadotropins, etc like compounds run throughout the body, eventually breaking it down when too much is present, and nothing is gained by this selfishness. Overworking the system, can even bring on further disease and invite more disease (for one weak part of the system, the body must rely on other areas and tax them more), increasing inflammation, cancer, etc.

You must admit plainly to God that you are a drug addict, a sex addict, a pleasure addict [2 Tim. 3:4].

You must step out of the darkness and hiding and move into His marvelous light and openness.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Willpower

^^^ awesome resource.. read the book, it actually helps you to develop self control aka willpower.

I believe that masturbation is a matter of self control, and that can be mastered with practice, and yes, I also see it as a sin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0