• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Can OCD be "cured"?

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

For who can resist his will?
Aug 18, 2015
✟328,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The goal is to experience the trigger and not react. So no there isn't a cure but if you can not react which is possible long term then its basically a cure or it's as close to a cure as is possible.

Upvote 0

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've cured mines by challenging myself.

I got OCD after a infection, it caused me to excessively wash my hands to the point where my skin would start to dry, and break. I was scared of anything possibly unhealthy, and in a sense I still am.

But my current challenges are my OCD has left certain areas, and re-emerged in different areas. It went from hyper-cleanliness, to hyper-organization, and now it settled in a confusion of what is true or false.

Upvote 0

covergirl

Oct 4, 2014
✟20,816.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I can testify that God does heal OCD and sometimes it happens when we are asleep after struggling for years or just we walk in the door after having a hard day with it. It's not always an alter call, prayer, etc or if we read the Bible enough but grace on us that takes it away .just give it time and know Christ took our afflictions already at the cross. Isaiah 53.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The goal is to experience the trigger and not react. So no there isn't a cure but if you can not react which is possible long term then its basically a cure or it's as close to a cure as is possible.
Yes! I think most of us who have OCD will always have the tendency to be obsessive, but we can learn how to deal with the OCD in a way that can allow us to live mostly free from its control. It tends to flare up at times (for example, during times of stress), but we can put into practice the tools we've learned to manage it, and get it back under control. That's why it's so important to learn how to manage the OCD, either through therapy or our own self-education.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've cured mines by challenging myself.

I got OCD after a infection, it caused me to excessively wash my hands to the point where my skin would start to dry, and break. I was scared of anything possibly unhealthy, and in a sense I still am.

But my current challenges are my OCD has left certain areas, and re-emerged in different areas. It went from hyper-cleanliness, to hyper-organization, and now it settled in a confusion of what is true or false.
Challenging yourself to say no to OCD is a good way to gain control over it. :)

Upvote 0

Macchiato

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Ccccc
✟143,688.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I can testify that God does heal OCD and sometimes it happens when we are asleep after struggling for years or just we walk in the door after having a hard day with it. It's not always an alter call, prayer, etc or if we read the Bible enough but grace on us that takes it away .just give it time and know Christ took our afflictions already at the cross. Isaiah 53.

This is a beautiful answer. God is always with us.

Upvote 0