Can Muslims live with Christians in Britain?

zaire

Oct 5, 2004
✟2,403.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Once the Muslim population reaches 30%-40% they will have alot of power. Will people just leave giving the Muslims a greater majority?

Is it possible for Muslims and Christians to live in harmony?

Would you immigrate away like so many are already doing (as ive heard rumoured)?

When i say Christians i know that most people arent Christians in the Britain but Muslims see all as (maybe they dont...).

non-religious

Veteran
Mar 4, 2005
Herts
✟11,017.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
[bytheway]Once the Muslim population reaches 30%-40% they will have alot of power. Will the native people of the Islands just leave giving the Muslims a greater majority?

Is it possible for Muslims and Christians to live in harmony?

Would you immigrate away like so many are already doing?

When i say Christians i know that most people arent Christians in the Britain but Muslims see all as.
There's a lot of assumptions being thrown about here, so I'm not sure where you get your facts.

When you say "power" what exactly do you mean?

I'm also interested to know how you come to the conclusion that many people are "immigrating." Specifically who and from what source does this claim come from?

Upvote 0

ScottishJohn

Contributor
Feb 3, 2005
Glasgow
✟16,690.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Yes - absolutely. Muslims and Christians can live together peacefully in the UK, and have been doing so for centuries.

British Islamic Scholars are referred to in the Canterbury tales. We have record of an Englishmand called John Nelson makign a very public conversion to Islam in the 16th century. Oxford and Cambridge established chairs in Arabic in the 17th Century. Records from 1641 refer to a sect of Mohammedans established in London. 1649 sees the first English translation of the Koran. 1700 sees the first major immigration of Muslims to London - sailors from the East India company. in 1860 we have the first record of a Mosque in the UK recorded in London. 1869 and the opening of the Suez canal brings more Muslims to the UK - especially Yemenis. In 1886 the Pan Islamic society is founded in London, and so the history continues.

I would like to point out as well, that just as there are Christians who point out the decline in what they see as an acceptable moral baseline for our society and call for a return to more traditional morals, they have ready made allies on this issue within the Islamic community. Just as those who consider a more secular approach to life and morals can be found on both sides. Furthermore just as we expect the Muslims amongst us to reject the fundamentalist teachings in support of violence, I consider it hypocritical of us not to reject the message of hate and division born by parties like the BNP who proclaim themselves as defenders of traditional Britian but in reality stand against may of the historical merits of Britain, and instead represent a distilation of all that we have to be ashamed of.

As for power, I don't see a unified Islamic vote in the UK, just as I can't see a unified Christian vote either.

Reactions: Kehaar
Upvote 0

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,225.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
The Muslim population won't continue to grow at the rate that it has been growing. As Muslim girls are exposed to British culture and our education system, they will soon see that they are able to make their own choices in life. It's already happening.

Upvote 0

Martin^^

Feb 11, 2005
Scotland
✟8,860.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
From the National Statistics website (which I highly recommend, but I'm a bit funny like that):
http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=260

In 2005, IPS estimates showed that more Polish citizens migrated into the UK for at least a year than citizens of any other foreign country. An estimated 49,000 Polish citizens migrated into the UK in 2005, almost three times the 2004 IPS estimate of 17,000.

Once all these Polish Catholics reach 50% of the population, will they be able to live peacefully with their Protestant neighbours? Maybe the Protestants will all move to Holland and displace the Moslems?

Most racial conflict happens in areas of social deprivation. If we want to promote harmony, we should fight poverty.

Reactions: ScottishJohn
Upvote 0

Pogue

left CF, please see profile for further details
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2006
http://www.thesonscafe.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15
✟59,840.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Greens
I don't think the Muslim population will ever be that high, and I've never heard of anyone moving away because they think there are too many Muslims in the UK. I also don't see why that would lead to them having a lot of power; surely if there were more people, there'd be a wider range of opinion?
I don't know what you mean by the 'native people', either. That seems to imply that everyone in Britain had been there for centuries before Muslims began to come here, which wasn't the case. Immigrants from many different places have always been coming here, and there have always been unfounded worries that 'native people' (people whose ancestors came here further back in history) will become a minority.
Finally, I don't think that Muslims see every non-Muslim in Britain as a Christian, why would they? Like anyone else, they can see that there is a diverse range of religious beliefs.

Upvote 0

glo1

Hier stehe ich. Ich kann nicht anders.
Sep 23, 2006
✟10,681.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes - absolutely. Muslims and Christians can live together peacefully in the UK, and have been doing so for centuries.

I would like to point out as well, that just as there are Christians who point out the decline in what they see as an acceptable moral baseline for our society and call for a return to more traditional morals, they have ready made allies on this issue within the Islamic community. Just as those who consider a more secular approach to life and morals can be found on both sides. Furthermore just as we expect the Muslims amongst us to reject the fundamentalist teachings in support of violence, I consider it hypocritical of us not to reject the message of hate and division born by parties like the BNP who proclaim themselves as defenders of traditional Britian but in reality stand against may of the historical merits of Britain, and instead represent a distilation of all that we have to be ashamed of.
I came across this statement a couple of months ago (unfortunately it is just a news snippet, and I never found the full article)
The Archbishop of York believes Christians should see Islam as an "ally" in the struggle against secularism.

Dr John Sentamu thinks Muslims aren't offended by Christianity and prefer it to a secular state.

In a wide-ranging speech at York Minster, he also spoke of the recent conflict between Israel and Lebanon saying it cheapened human life.
http://www.premier.org.uk/engine.cfm...wn=1&pnid=2498

I agree that it would be great if Muslims and Christians united against the decline of morality in this country. Our teachings have much in common, that we could draw from!

Bytheway makes a good point: many Muslims perceive every non-Muslim to be a Christian - hence many have the impression that Christianity does not teach sound moral standards, and that Christianity (in comparison to Islam) takes a do-what-you-like-approach.

Whilst it may be right that Islam is much stricter and more rigid in it's teachings, I think it is our responsibility as Christians to teach the Muslim world just how Jesus taught us to live!

Personally I would like to see my Muslim neighbours get more involved in schools and the local community! Many keep themselves to themselves in the most frustrating way!

Interestingly I think there are many people in Britain who don't actually come in contact with Muslims ... would you agree?
There are pockets with fairly high Muslim populations, but mostly in urban areas.
My guess is that many people in rural areas may not actually meet any Muslims ...

glo

Upvote 0

kurabrhm

Feb 23, 2004
Southampton, Hampshire, England.
Visit site
✟2,333.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
You're assuming that the majority of people in this country are Christians! Who ever suggested that to you? Christian morals and values are what once inspired the leaders of this country. When the Church had great authority over England, this country was a very strong Christian nation. Not so now. the decline of the power once vested in the Church has meant that secularism has caught up instead and now far exceeds any religion in this country.
What's more dissapointing than anything else is the rise of secularism in this country. This has been a weakpoint for several decades now and in the aftermath of 9/11, extremist groups have sought to exploit this weakness to their advantage. Its no wonder that some people choose to emigrate. But it would be false to think that its all down to a rise in just the number of Muslims living in this country.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

non-religious

Veteran
Mar 4, 2005
Herts
✟11,017.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
[glo1]
Personally I would like to see my Muslim neighbours get more involved in schools and the local community! Many keep themselves to themselves in the most frustrating way!

I can see why you would come to this conclusion and your probably right. However I would say that society is generally a lot more insular and guarded now than it has ever been. Most people have lived on their streets for years yet still don't know their neighbours names. The Muslim community are not the only community that have isolated themselves. There is a sense of security and unity in numbers and that is why you find areas in cities and towns that have small communities of black or asain people. White English people are not exactly quick at coming forward and being inclusive. When my father's family came over from the West Indies in the 60s they, like many, were not welcomed. Of course a lot has changed, but I think there is an undue amount of suspicion and scrutiny taking place upon Muslims and unfairly so in my opinion.

My guess is that many people in rural areas may not actually meet any Muslims ...
Nor black people, Jews, Hindus etc......

Upvote 0

Da_Funkey_Gibbon

I'm just like the others...
Jan 8, 2005
✟20,178.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
You're assuming that the majority of people in this country are Christians! Who ever suggested that to you? Christian morals and values are what once inspired the leaders of this country. When the Church had great authority over England, this country was a very strong Christian nation. Not so now. the decline of the power once vested in the Church has meant that secularism has caught up instead and now far exceeds any religion in this country.
What's more dissapointing than anything else is the rise of secularism in this country. This has been a weakpoint for several decades now and in the aftermath of 9/11, extremist groups have sought to exploit this weakness to their advantage. Its no wonder that some people choose to emigrate. But it would be false to think that its all down to a rise in just the number of Muslims living in this country.
A majority of Britons still call themselves Christian.

Upvote 0

theFijian

Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
West of Scotland
Visit site
✟63,625.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
A majority of Britons still call themselves Christian.

Which is pretty much irrelevant since the the majority of Christians are nowhere near a church service on sundays. Britain is most definitely not a 'Christian' nation anymore (if it ever actually was)

Upvote 0

kurabrhm

Feb 23, 2004
Visit site
✟2,333.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Which is pretty much irrelevant since the the majority of Christians are nowhere near a church service on sundays. Britain is most definitely not a 'Christian' nation anymore (if it ever actually was)
Thank You Fijian!!! You're the man!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

kurabrhm

Feb 23, 2004
Visit site
✟2,333.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Britain has never really been a Christian nation as such. I applaud the remarks made by thefijian. He is right. What Britain has had in the past is a conflict of faiths!!!! You had the Protestants up against the Catholics. Always fighting and blaming each other. It still carried on even to the 20th century in Northern Ireland while the rest of Britain in the 20th century got caught up in the "wonders" of industrialisation, followed by the service industry revolution.

Upvote 0

Judy02

Jan 9, 2006
England.
✟28,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Britain has never really been a Christian nation as such. I applaud the remarks made by thefijian. He is right. What Britain has had in the past is a conflict of faiths!!!! You had the Protestants up against the Catholics. Always fighting and blaming each other. It still carried on even to the 20th century in Northern Ireland while the rest of Britain in the 20th century got caught up in the "wonders" of industrialisation, followed by the service industry revolution.

True...I think religious dogmatism existed a lot more oin the past. Some see that as us being a 'christian nation'. Maybe the majority used to be who knows? I don't think we had it all right though...

Upvote 0

Judy02

Jan 9, 2006
England.
✟28,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, right.

Whether or not they practice their faith is another matter - but the majority of Brits still call themselves Christian.

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=293

Yeah I think thats an interesting statistic, that most people like to, in some form define themself somehow in connection with christianity. Seriously doubt all of them are born again believers but cud be wrong.

A lot of it could be to do with family tradition as well. My dad used to think he was a christian, because there was a history of church going, particularly on special occasions kinda thing when he was a kid, in his family. People perceive 'being a christian' in different ways, and it may not necessarily be the biblical reason xx

Upvote 0

Martin^^

Feb 11, 2005
Scotland
✟8,860.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Was Britain a 'more Christian' nation when more people attended church? Looking back at the social conditions of the 18th and 19th centuries, it is difficult to see them as morally superior or more spiritual.
What do we make of the 72% of Britons who call themselves Christian? It seems likely that they are mostly infrequent church attenders and would reflect the 'secular' values common throughout society. Do they have less commitment to their faith than card-carrying churchgoers, or do they regard Christianity as typified more by living a moral life and helping others than by going to church on Sundays?
I would also ask in what ways Christianity and secular values are incompatible.
Today, we tend to associate spirituality with disinterest in material things, yet many of the architects of the industrial age were Christians who saw their pursuit of industrial development as proper use of the talents God had given them. Christians also had a key role in improving the lives of the Victorian working classes and ending child labour.
I am wary of the wide use of the term 'secularism', as if it were some kind of competing philosophy. We are all part of the material world - that is not inherently bad, or contrary to spiritual development, just another area of life.

Upvote 0