Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A man who doesn't have a lot of experience with women can easily get nervous around one to whom he is attracted. He is making himself vulnerable by letting her know of his affection, and there is a buildup of expectation which always (not just in romance) carries the high probability of a steep, painful letdown.

Nervousness can carry over into intimidation if the man places too high a value on the woman. If his ideas of self-worth and the enjoyment of life are wrapped up in her acceptance of him, she not only can break down his expectations (a zero-sum game); he has given her the power to subtract value from his life (a negative-sum game). This means that she can make his life worse by rejection than it was before he met her - and so the object of his desire becomes a threat to him. That, obviously, is not healthy. But it is all too common. Almost normal, in fact; but tragically so.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes, because the bathroom at the mall is full of bears and or other scary animals.
So true. The owners of malls are remiss in not permitting the carrying of personal firearms in their bathrooms for defense against bears and such. Chupacabras and Sasquatches, too.

Upvote 0

Blank123

Legend
Dec 6, 2003
✟56,875.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Bears_Fullpic_1-775250.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mustang333

Apr 15, 2005
✟15,461.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A man who doesn't have a lot of experience with women can easily get nervous around one to whom he is attracted. He is making himself vulnerable by letting her know of his affection, and there is a buildup of expectation which always (not just in romance) carries the high probability of a steep, painful letdown.

Nervousness can carry over into intimidation if the man places too high a value on the woman. If his ideas of self-worth and the enjoyment of life are wrapped up in her acceptance of him, she not only can break down his expectations (a zero-sum game); he has given her the power to subtract value from his life (a negative-sum game). This means that she can make his life worse by rejection than it was before he met her - and so the object of his desire becomes a threat to him. That, obviously, is not healthy. But it is all too common. Almost normal, in fact; but tragically so.

Well put, especially where this comes from man putting too much focus on woman.

Upvote 0

Ayersy

Friendly Neighborhood Nihilist
Sep 2, 2009
England
✟17,209.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I can say this: if a guy is the least bit attracted to a girl, the girl can get away with a LOT- silly things, stupid things, rude things, mean things... if a guy is attracted to a girl he will forgive her for murder. This of course can be true with girls too but in my experience it does not manifest itself in the same way, or as often. The point is that, based on my experience as a guy and knowing plenty of other guys and understanding how guys think, I would assert that girls have very little to worry about when it comes to "screwing up" in front of a guy early on in a friendship/relationship and really don't have anything to be intimidated about in terms of the way they act.

I'd say you're spot-on, with that.

Considering I forgave my ex for cheating on me, and was going to take her back, yet was still nervous about screwing up in front of her, and apologized profusely for any tiny mistake I made, when she pretty much did whatever she wanted.

I'd rather get in an argument with a bloke. We have a punch-up, swear at each other, then buy each other a pint and forget about it. You get on the bad side of a girl, and you'll never forget it. :(

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Stravinsk

Neo Baroque/Rococo Classical Artist
Mar 4, 2009
Australia
✟9,955.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Politics
US-Libertarian
This is an echo of what has already been said in this thread.

As a male, the only time I've been intimidated by a female is to the extent I am spiritually/sexually attracted to her. And of the two - it is the attraction of spirit that dominates. I've talked to females about this and some assume it is a lust thing. It isn't. There is sexual attraction...but it is mingled with emotion and vulnerability - and it is the latter that is actually intimidating - to be physically affected (heart beat increases, sweating) just when she walks into the room.

It's also pretty rare for most women to have that effect on me.

Upvote 0

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'd say you're spot-on, with that.

Considering I forgave my ex for cheating on me, and was going to take her back, yet was still nervous about screwing up in front of her, and apologized profusely for any tiny mistake I made, when she pretty much did whatever she wanted.

I'd rather get in an argument with a bloke. We have a punch-up, swear at each other, then buy each other a pint and forget about it. You get on the bad side of a girl, and you'll never forget it. :(
There is a catch to it.

The fact that she'll never forget it, or forgive it, means she isn't worth keeping for the words, "I'm sorry" only do so much and are only worth so much and changing one's actions and mental thoughts are only worth so much. As compared to the bloke who gets over a punch and buys you a beer...the bloke means he's worth keeping around.

A girl that holds grudges shouldn't be intimidating...they are only someone to let go.

Upvote 0