College Park
✟72,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So you believe that everyone who wears a hat is sinning because they are disobeying a command from Paul. Does this mean that if I am driving along the motorway wearing my baseball cap, and decide I want to pray, I have to take my hat off first?
In my other post I said this is commanded for worship and prayer. Yes, Paul is saying remove your hat if you pull over to pray, or while driving.

I didn’t write the Bible, and I only relayed what 1 Corinthians is referring to. So if it’s a command and we object, or refuse , and don’t do it out of disobedience, wouldn’t that be a sin?

It’s only during church services, church gatherings, prayer meetings, reading the Bible, on our knees praying, speaking in tongues, singing praise and worship, and any other type of worship, a man is to not cover his head, and a woman is to cover her head.

Going to the store, work, changing your tires, cleaning the house, etc, it’s not required.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
In my other post I said this is commanded for worship and prayer. Yes, Paul is saying remove your hat if you pull over to pray, or while driving.

I didn’t write the Bible, and I only relayed what 1 Corinthians is referring to. So if it’s a command and we object, or refuse , and don’t do it out of disobedience, wouldn’t that be a sin?

It’s only during church services, church gatherings, prayer meetings, reading the Bible, on our knees praying, speaking in tongues, singing praise and worship, and any other type of worship, a man is to not cover his head, and a woman is to cover her head.

Going to the store, work, changing your tires, cleaning the house, etc, it’s not required.
Actually, I do most of my praying at home where I don't wear a hat, so God still hears my prayers. :)

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually, I do most of my praying at home where I don't wear a hat, so God still hears my prayers. :)
May He hear your prayers always and grant your petitions.

God bless!

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,895.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I truly apologize if I was wrong. So I will hear your understanding of the scriptures.

Outside of how I explained the scriptures, can you please provide your explanation of each scripture below in case I misunderstood.

1 Corinthians 11:5 KJV.

1 Corinthians 11:4 KJV.

1 Corinthians 11:6 KJV.

1 Corinthians 11:7 KJV

1 Corinthians 11:3 KJV

1 Corinthians 11:9 KJV
I'm sorry for the delay in replying.

Paul was writing his letter to the church at Corinth.
There were a number of problems in the church: chapter 3 describes their divisions and how they followed different Apostles. In chapter 11 Paul describes how there were inequalities while celebrating the Lord's supper - some arrived early and ate all they wanted so that others missed out; some got drunk. In chapter 14 it seems that they were boasting about spiritual gifts - some thought that speaking in tongues was the best gift and showed that they were more spiritual. It seems also that some Corinthians believed that because they were saved and forgiven, they could do what they wanted, 1 Corinthians 6:12. In chapter 5 Paul criticised them for being proud of their sexual promiscuity, 1 Corinthians 5:1-2.
So it's not surprising that Paul said that they should think of others. He wrote that they were all the body of Christ; each with a role to play. He said that the quality they should desire above all others was love - which was patient, kind, didn't boast and always protected others.

In chapter 11 Paul says that covering their heads in worship is a sign of submission - at least for the women.
It's not about hair. If it was, then when Paul said that it was disgraceful for a man to have long hair, he would have stated the required length. How long is "long"; half an inch, 2 inches, below the collar? How long was Jesus' hair? How long was Paul's?
He implied that it was disgraceful for women to have short hair - "if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well cut off her hair". If it's true that short hair on women was a sign of prostitution, then yes, it would have been disgraceful - they would have been advertising that they were in that profession and "available".
Those verses tell me that it was a cultural thing. Samson, in the OT, had long hair; he had been commanded not to cut it. That was part of a Nazarite vow taken by Samson, Samuel and John the Baptist. Jesus chose to live in Nazareth and was called a Nazarene, but it it not certain that he took the Nazarite vow. So long hair had not always been considered disgraceful for men.

Obviously not all of 1 Corinthians was just for the Corinthians - love is universal, the Holy Spirit gives gifts to all and the teaching about resurrection and our resurrection bodies also universally applies.
But the teaching about hair length and fashion reflected the culture of the time.
Yes - and?

What's that got to do with whether or not we wear hats?

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,895.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The members are the church!
Yes, they are.
But Paul, like others, believed that Jesus would return in his lifetime. He was not writing to people who would become believers 2000 years later; he had no idea that the church would last that long. He certainly had no idea how culture, and fashions, would change.
Paul says that if a woman does not cover her hair, she might as well have it cut off. But if it was disgraceful for a woman to have her hair cut or her head shaved, then she should cover her head, 1 Corinthians 11:6. In those days, or maybe even just in that society, it would have been disgraceful for a woman to have her hair cut short or her head shaved. But it isn't today. Many, many women have short hair - although, again, Paul does not discuss length. Some have lost their hair due to chemotherapy, or alopecia. Is Paul saying that as well as the agony of cancer, a woman who loses her hair through no fault of her own, is disgraced in God's sight? Surely not?
Why doesn't he discuss medical conditions which may cause a woman to lose her hair? I would suggest because he either didn't know about them, or that he wasn't writing about women who might, several centuries later, suffer from them. Why didn't he mention men who had had long hair or whose Nazarite vow prevented them from cutting it? I would suggest because he wasn't concerned with such matters. He was writing to the Corinthians about equality; not boasting that the leader they followed was better than someone else, not boasting that they could behave as they liked because they had been saved and not boasting that their spiritual gift was better than the spiritual gift given to someone else.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,895.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In my other post I said this is commanded for worship and prayer.
Sorry, but you believe it is commanded. That's not the same as saying that it is.
Yes, Paul is saying remove your hat if you pull over to pray, or while driving.
Paul had no idea was "driving" was.

I didn’t write the Bible, and I only relayed what 1 Corinthians is referring to.
No, you've said what you believe it is referring to - how you interpret it.
So if it’s a command
It's not.
and we object, or refuse , and don’t do it out of disobedience, wouldn’t that be a sin?
If God had commanded "every time a woman prays they MUST cover their heads, and if a man is wearing a hat and wants to pray he MUST take it off", and we didn't do it; yes, it would be a sin.
But God hasn't said that.

As I said before, Paul also says that we should pray continuously - why does he not mention head covering there?
Why did Jesus not say, "when you go into a room to pray, either take your hat off, or put one on - depending on whether you are male or female"? When the disciples asked, "teach us to pray", why did Jesus not say, "after you have covered/uncovered your head, say 'Our Father ......."?

It’s only during church services, church gatherings,
As you have correctly said, we are the church. A Bible study group is a small church. Christians meeting for coffee and talking about God, Scripture and faith, are the church.
on our knees praying,
I, for one, almost never pray on my knees - It wouldn't be easy to get up again.
A lot of older/disabled Christians don't pray on their knees - it would be physically impossible for them.
So using that logic, we can never pray while we're out shopping or doing housework.
Yet Paul said to pray continuously.

Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, they are.
But Paul, like others, believed that Jesus would return in his lifetime. He was not writing to people who would become believers 2000 years later; he had no idea that the church would last that long. He certainly had no idea how culture, and fashions, would change.
Paul says that if a woman does not cover her hair, she might as well have it cut off. But if it was disgraceful for a woman to have her hair cut or her head shaved, then she should cover her head, 1 Corinthians 11:6. In those days, or maybe even just in that society, it would have been disgraceful for a woman to have her hair cut short or her head shaved. But it isn't today. Many, many women have short hair - although, again, Paul does not discuss length. Some have lost their hair due to chemotherapy, or alopecia. Is Paul saying that as well as the agony of cancer, a woman who loses her hair through no fault of her own, is disgraced in God's sight? Surely not?
Why doesn't he discuss medical conditions which may cause a woman to lose her hair? I would suggest because he either didn't know about them, or that he wasn't writing about women who might, several centuries later, suffer from them. Why didn't he mention men who had had long hair or whose Nazarite vow prevented them from cutting it? I would suggest because he wasn't concerned with such matters. He was writing to the Corinthians about equality; not boasting that the leader they followed was better than someone else, not boasting that they could behave as they liked because they had been saved and not boasting that their spiritual gift was better than the spiritual gift given to someone else.
Your beef is with God not me. You’v decided to question Paul who is Jesus’s servant. You can spin it whatever way you want. If you don’t think it’s for believers 2000 years later, so be it. None of what you have said is based on scripture.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry for the delay in replying.

Paul was writing his letter to the church at Corinth.
There were a number of problems in the church: chapter 3 describes their divisions and how they followed different Apostles. In chapter 11 Paul describes how there were inequalities while celebrating the Lord's supper - some arrived early and ate all they wanted so that others missed out; some got drunk. In chapter 14 it seems that they were boasting about spiritual gifts - some thought that speaking in tongues was the best gift and showed that they were more spiritual. It seems also that some Corinthians believed that because they were saved and forgiven, they could do what they wanted, 1 Corinthians 6:12. In chapter 5 Paul criticised them for being proud of their sexual promiscuity, 1 Corinthians 5:1-2.
So it's not surprising that Paul said that they should think of others. He wrote that they were all the body of Christ; each with a role to play. He said that the quality they should desire above all others was love - which was patient, kind, didn't boast and always protected others.

In chapter 11 Paul says that covering their heads in worship is a sign of submission - at least for the women.
It's not about hair. If it was, then when Paul said that it was disgraceful for a man to have long hair, he would have stated the required length. How long is "long"; half an inch, 2 inches, below the collar? How long was Jesus' hair? How long was Paul's?
He implied that it was disgraceful for women to have short hair - "if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well cut off her hair". If it's true that short hair on women was a sign of prostitution, then yes, it would have been disgraceful - they would have been advertising that they were in that profession and "available".
Those verses tell me that it was a cultural thing. Samson, in the OT, had long hair; he had been commanded not to cut it. That was part of a Nazarite vow taken by Samson, Samuel and John the Baptist. Jesus chose to live in Nazareth and was called a Nazarene, but it it not certain that he took the Nazarite vow. So long hair had not always been considered disgraceful for men.

Obviously not all of 1 Corinthians was just for the Corinthians - love is universal, the Holy Spirit gives gifts to all and the teaching about resurrection and our resurrection bodies also universally applies.
But the teaching about hair length and fashion reflected the culture of the time.

Yes - and?

You missed the scriptures I listed.

Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hebrews 12:22-23. I listed this scripture in relation to the woman wearing a head covering because of the angles and needing power on her head, 1 Corinthians 11:10. When we pray we are in the company of the angles; the assembly of the first born (Jesus Christ).

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,895.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your beef is with God not me. You’v decided to question Paul who is Jesus’s servant. You can spin it whatever way you want. If you don’t think it’s for believers 2000 years later, so be it. None of what you have said is based on scripture.

No, it isn't with God.

In this passage, Paul does not say "this is God's command, and will stand for all time, in all cultures".
Therefore, the statement that a) it is a command from God, and b) it is for believers today, is interpretation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,895.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You missed the scriptures I listed.

No, they are included in 1 Corinthians 11.
Paul is talking about submission, not being proud etc.

If you think this Scripture is for us today, you need to address the points I made about women having short hair today and losing their hair through chemo or alopecia.
If Paul was directly addressing our culture, why did he not include such things? Why did he not acknowledge that some men could have long hair? Did he know how long Jesus' hair was - and how long is "long" anyway?

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,895.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hebrews 12:22-23. I listed this scripture in relation to the woman wearing a head covering because of the angles and needing power on her head, 1 Corinthians 11:10. When we pray we are in the company of the angles; the assembly of the first born (Jesus Christ).
God and the whole host of heaven see us at all times - even in the bath. So I doubt that they are going to be offended if women don't wear a hat.

How do you explain 1 Corinthians 11:15 which says that a woman's long hair is a covering? If a woman's head is covered by long hair - and we don't know Paul's definition of "long", then why does she need a hat? (Not that the word "hat" is mentioned anywhere in this passage.)

Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, they are included in 1 Corinthians 11.
Paul is talking about submission, not being proud etc.

If you think this Scripture is for us today, you need to address the points I made about women having short hair today and losing their hair through chemo or alopecia.
If Paul was directly addressing our culture, why did he not include such things? Why did he not acknowledge that some men could have long hair? Did he know how long Jesus' hair was - and how long is "long" anyway?
The scripture is not talking about hair. It’s talking about putting a veil over a woman’s head, a scarf or something similar.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,895.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The scripture is not talking about hair. It’s talking about putting a veil over a woman’s head, a scarf or something similar.
It says that it is disgraceful for a man to have long hair, 1 Corinthians 11:14, that a woman's hair is her glory and that it is given to her as a covering 1 Corinthians 11:15.
It says that if a woman does not cover her head when she prays, she might as well have her hair cut off or her head shaved, 1 Corinthians 11:6. If having a shaved head would be a disgrace (it would have identified her as a prostitute), she should cover her head. So yes, the Scripture is talking about hair.
Any woman who has short or cropped hair or who is bald, is doing what Paul says - she has cut her hair off. It's not a disgrace today: I doubt anyone would bat an eyelid.

Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It says that it is disgraceful for a man to have long hair, 1 Corinthians 11:14, that a woman's hair is her glory and that it is given to her as a covering 1 Corinthians 11:15.
It says that if a woman does not cover her head when she prays, she might as well have her hair cut off or her head shaved, 1 Corinthians 11:6. If having a shaved head would be a disgrace (it would have identified her as a prostitute), she should cover her head. So yes, the Scripture is talking about hair.
Any woman who has short or cropped hair or who is bald, is doing what Paul says - she has cut her hair off. It's not a disgrace today: I doubt anyone would bat an eyelid.
You have to look at all the scriptures.

1 Corinthians 11:6, “For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head.”

The scripture is comparing the difference: it’s saying if it’s is a shame for a woman to cut her hair or shave her hair off, then she should wear a head covering because without a head covering it is considered the same disgrace as if she has shaved her head.

Therefore the scripture is saying a woman should wear a head covering. It’s not talking about hair as a covering because she already has hair.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,895.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You have to look at all the scriptures.

1 Corinthians 11:6, “For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head.”

The scripture is comparing the difference: it’s saying if it’s is a shame for a woman to cut her hair or shave her hair off, then she should wear a head covering because without a head covering it is considered the same disgrace as if she has shaved her head.

Therefore the scripture is saying a woman should wear a head covering. It’s not talking about hair as a covering because she already has hair.
Yes - "IF it is a shame for a woman to have her hair cut off".
In those days it would have been; today, no. Some women lose their hair through illness. Others make a choice to have closely shaved heads. It may not to be to our taste, or be something that we would choose for ourselves, but it's not a disgrace.
In fact, the disgrace today would be if a woman lost her hair due to chemo, and others demanded she cover it up.

Verse 15 still says "long hair is given to her as a covering."

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
1 Corinthians 11:
2 I praise you for remembering me in everything and for holding to the traditions just as I passed them on to you. 3 But I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man,[a] and the head of Christ is God. 4 Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head. 5 But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is the same as having her head shaved.6 For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head.

7 A man ought not to cover his head,[b] since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man. 8 For man did not come from woman, but woman from man; 9 neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. 10 It is for this reason that a woman ought to have authority over her own[c] head, because of the angels. 11 Nevertheless, in the Lord woman is not independent of man, nor is man independent of woman. 12 For as woman came from man, so also man is born of woman. But everything comes from God.

I just bought a hat and now dont know if i can wear it. What do you guys think?

Yes you can wear it.

If you recall Jewish dress they specifically cover their heads with a tallit to pray, and some go farther and wear a skullcap all the time. Women on the other hand only cover their heads as a sign of marriage.

It's Christianity again turning tradition on it's head. It's saying Christ is the symbol of man's humility before God, and He is your cover.

Wearing a hat (fashion) is neither here nor there as it's not a symbol of your faith or your humility before God, nor is it meant as such. Keeping the sun out of your eyes is just that, keeping the sun out of your eyes.

Just don't wear it in Church. (My husband never ever wears a hat in church, nor does he pray with one on, but he does wear hats otherwise often).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

shaul

Nov 27, 2022
Columbus
✟19,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
1 Corinthians 11:
2 I praise you for remembering me in everything and for holding to the traditions just as I passed them on to you. 3 But I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man,[a] and the head of Christ is God. 4 Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head. 5 But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is the same as having her head shaved.6 For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head.

7 A man ought not to cover his head,[b] since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man. 8 For man did not come from woman, but woman from man; 9 neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. 10 It is for this reason that a woman ought to have authority over her own[c] head, because of the angels. 11 Nevertheless, in the Lord woman is not independent of man, nor is man independent of woman. 12 For as woman came from man, so also man is born of woman. But everything comes from God.

Feel free to wear your hat. All Orthodox Jews wear a head covering as a sign of their faith (called the kippot or yarmulke) a sign that they are subservient to the Lord (Hebrew transliteration Adon -- אָדוֹן ).

What Paul was saying if you pray with your hat on, you dishonor your own head. Of course this was a full covering, not the skullcap.

Upvote 0

Stephen3141

Mar 14, 2023
Southwest
✟39,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
1 Corinthians 11:

Are you a man, or a woman? And in what situation, are you asking about?

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟401,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
Are you a man, or a woman? And in what situation, are you asking about?
a man (why would a woman ask about wearing a hat?) and in all situations

Upvote 0