Can I Have a Buddha Statue as a Christian? Is It Idolatry?

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I used to have a friend, an elderly gay man, that had a house full of art and he had a Buddha statue in his bathroom, which isn't the most respectful thing to do, to use a religious symbol as bric-a-brac. Talk about cultural appropriation...

Upvote 0

A Realist

Living in Reality
Dec 27, 2018
Georgia
✟67,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you want your house to be riddled with demons..yeah, sure go ahead.
Uh....the OP was from 2012, and the member who posted it hasn't been seen since Feb 2013. You reckon one of them demons got him?

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,010,477.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Would a Muslim hang a cross in there house?

Old thread, new reply! ;)

Yes as i know one that has a few in her house as her husband is Catholic plus, she also attends mass while still being a strong Buddhist.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I am thinking of buying a little buddha statue for decorative purposes. Not to worship it or anything. Would that be sinful to do? Would it violate some christian commandment?

The image is representative of a worldview that is contrary to the truths of the Christian faith. Buddhism has led millions to an eternity separated from Christ. Why would you want to decorate your home with something symbolic of such falsehood and tragedy?

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am thinking of buying a little buddha statue for decorative purposes. Not to worship it or anything. Would that be sinful to do? Would it violate some christian commandment?

Personally I would refrain from allowing it to be in my house just out of respect for God. I would deprive myself of having something I want for the sake of respecting His commandments concerning idols. Remember that idols are actually demons and I have heard of people having a variety of problems due to having statues of idols in their home as decoration. When they removed the statutes their problems went away. I think it’s not worth the risk even if you know not to worship it.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
:doh:
Folks.....please note that the OP was in 2012, and the member who posted this OP hasn't been here since Feb 2013, so I'm sure it's safe to say that your replies to him/her are useless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist

Overall, it is best , clean and obedient to not have ANY statue at all.

• Agree
Reactions: Clara Bear
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Folks.....please note that the OP was in 2012, and the member who posted this OP hasn't been here since Feb 2013, so I'm sure it's safe to say that your replies to him/her are useless.

Kind of makes ya wonder if he got that budda statue and not long after has mysteriously disappeared. Hmmmm.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Show me where god is against Buddha statues.
"no idols", "no idolatry", "no other gods" etc .... He condemns them and curses those who have idols, as He Pleases. He's not just against them.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Exodus 20:4-5

New King James Version (NKJV)

4 “You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; 5 you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me,

Note that those who commit idolatry, have idols, etc,
are
described as "those who hate Me"(The Creator)....

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
There are some interesting responses so far. I just wonder if those who are advising against getting a Buddha as art appreciate some of the things that the Bible talks as in 1 Corinthians 8 and the consumption of food offered to idols. Or that a great many professing Christians have made an idol of government, giving it far more power and authority than God ever authorized, and by making it the caretaker for their needs they forget that God said "seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness" and the things we need will be added to us and that we are not to put our trust in princes (ie government).
=========================================
A much needed and not always heeded message today. (see the politic section)

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MOD HAT ON
Please note, this is a long dead thread. While thread necromancy is not against forum rules, it is not useful and the OP will likely never read your post. If the subject interests you and you would like to discuss it, start a new thread in the appropriate forum.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

POD Dwyer

Apr 27, 2023
Tipperary
✟8,001.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's fine!
It doesn't say anywhere in the bible "thou shalt not have any decorative Buddhas in your home."
Decorate your home in any way you like, it's YOUR home, YOUR space.
If you like it (and it looks good!) do it!!

Exodus 20:4-5 says, "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth

Upvote 0

I's2C

Aug 28, 2021
North Platte
✟35,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My reply would be why? If you entertain and a young convert comes to your home he/she might be offended, so as good Christian we shouldn't do anything that might offend a potential convert. If you walked into a brethren home and saw an idol of different faith, would you put your guard up?

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ADMIN HAT ON

Let me reply with what I posted three years ago (and only two posts back):

Please note, this is a long dead thread (from 2012). While thread necromancy is not against forum rules, it is not useful and the OP will likely never read your post. If the subject interests you and you would like to discuss it, start a new thread in the appropriate forum.

ADMIN HAT OFF

Upvote 0