Can I get in trouble for posting just the video portion of my own work on a copyrighted Christian So

Russ Campbell

An ounce of faith overcomes a ton of fear!
Site Supporter
Mar 12, 2017
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
✟93,154.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
As far as I know th I s has never been done or I have never seen it on Facebook. Can I get into trouble for posting on Facebook just my video.portion of a copyrighted Christian song? In my case I display a lot of pictures of Jesus timed to the music only there is no music there. I am waiting for the artist of the song in question to respond to an email asking for permission.in writing to.post the whole thing. Note that with the video portion of my work with the exception of pictures, it is all my own work. I painstakingly transcribed lyrics and displayed them in the video. Russ Campbell

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As far as I know th I s has never been done or I have never seen it on Facebook. Can I get into trouble for posting on Facebook just my video.portion of a copyrighted Christian song? In my case I display a lot of pictures of Jesus timed to the music only there is no music there. I am waiting for the artist of the song in question to respond to an email asking for permission.in writing to.post the whole thing. Note that with the video portion of my work with the exception of pictures, it is all my own work. I painstakingly transcribed lyrics and displayed them in the video. Russ Campbell
Photos are subject to copyright law. If you used someone else's photos in your video without permission, you might be liable for copyright infringement. If you take photos in a museum, that is taking photos on someone else's private property. You would need permission from the museum to publish them, even if you used your own camera. Some museums allow no photography, others allow photography for personal study, but not for publication unless you pay them a fee and get written permission. Some museums allow photography and publication without permission.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am talking about photos of Jesus that are readily available on pinterest and other sites, everyone is doing that.
Some of the stuff on Pintrest is copyrighted. If millions of people will see your work, you have a higher risk of a copyright infringement suit than if no one clicks on your video.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Copy write only applies to selling a product or video or song that is copy written.
Not so. Churches used to get bankrupted back in the 80s and 90s over copyright infringement for their hand scrawled overheads. No one was buying or selling anything.

That was why CCLI was formed.

Upvote 0

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Not so. Churches used to get bankrupted back in the 80s and 90s over copyright infringement for their hand scrawled overheads. No one was buying or selling anything.

That was why CCLI was formed.

Yes, they where profiting from the hand scrawled overheads, if not, there would be nothing to sue over, its that was the case, every one in life can be sued for hanging pictures of people in there business or house.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, they where profiting from the hand scrawled overheads, if not, there would be nothing to sue over, its that was the case, every one in life can be sued for hanging pictures of people in there business or house.
Not so. The only reason they were using overheads was so people could follow the lyrics, and the overhead was cheaper than buying hymnals or printed sheet music for everyone. Making copies of the lyrics (whether you make money or not) is illegal in the US without paying royalties to the copyright holder.

Those churches were not making any money from the overheads. In one particularly egregious case, Bill Gaither sued a small church for a hand written overhead of "He Touched Me," and bankrupted the congregation. Took their building right away from them.

You should read up on US copyright law.

Reactions: justme6272
Upvote 0

justme6272

Jul 3, 2011
✟88,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I painstakingly transcribed lyrics and displayed them in the video. Russ Campbell
It's not clear what you mean by this. If you mean that you wrote all the words down by listening to the song and put them out on the Internet without permission of the copyright holder, then yes, thats' a copyright violation. Youtube is flooded with such violations, but if the copyright holder doesn't complain, youtube doesn't do anything about it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0