Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I was reading the book of John from a very old bible and it hit me that the other John is called a witness.
In fact in this first chapter he is called a witness, four times

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.
All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.
8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.
9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.
He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me.
And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace.
For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.
No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

The reason John was born was to be a witness
To witness to 'The Light',, the 'True Light'

A witness to the 'Light' , I've found that the book of John focuses much on 'light' I'll post in the next post.

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
John goes out of his way to equate Yeshua to the light of Genesis 1, and between the lines drawing upon Hanukka light symbolism.

Since the sun, moon and stars are not created until the FOURTH day, many believe that Light (named "Day" by God) is not the elementary particles (photons) that make up the physical phenomenon of light, but something else.

The primary suggestions are that it is a special force (described as being kept by God and given to the prophets to allow them to see what is happening elsewhere in the world, see through walls, see what is happening behind a corner, or see into the future) or that it denotes the entity called the Angel of the Lord, (Metatron,) to whom Yeshua is either equated or compared in many significant instances in scripture.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The LIGHT

1:4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.
8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.
9That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

3:18He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

5:33Ye sent unto John, and he bare witness unto the truth.
But I receive not testimony from man: but these things I say, that ye might be saved.
He was a burning and a shining light: and ye were willing for a season to rejoice in his light.
36 But I have greater witness than that of John: for the works which the Father hath given me to finish, the same works that I do, bear witness of me, that the Father hath sent me.

8:12Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

9:1And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth.
And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind?
Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him.
I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.

11:9 Jesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day? If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world.
But if a man walk in the night, he stumbleth, because there is no light in him.

12:34The people answered him, We have heard out of the law that Christ abideth for ever: and how sayest thou, The Son of man must be lifted up? who is this Son of man?
Then Jesus said unto them, Yet a little while is the light with you. Walk while ye have the light, lest darkness come upon you: for he that walketh in darkness knoweth not whither he goeth.
While ye have light, believe in the light, that ye may be the children of light. These things spake Jesus, and departed, and did hide himself from them.

44 Jesus cried and said, He that believeth on me, believeth not on me, but on him that sent me.
And he that seeth me seeth him that sent me.
I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness.
And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
This brings to mind the scroll from the DDS called the War Scroll.

John is believed by some to have been raised by the Essences, possibly at Qumran.

Could these be related?

The War of the...Sons of Light

Against the...Sons of Darkness

COL I
(1) For the In[structor, the Rule of] the War. The first attack of the Sons of Light shall be undertaken against the forces of the Sons of Darkness, the army of Belial: the troops of Edom, Moab, the sons of Ammon, the [Amalekites],
(2) Philistia, and the troops of the Kittim of Asshur. Supporting them are those who have violated the covenant. The sons of Levi, the sons of Judah, and the sons of Benjamin, those exiled to the wilderness, shall fight against them
(3) with [...] against all their troops, when the exiles of the Sons of Light return from the Wilderness of the Peoples to camp in the Wilderness of Jerusalem. Then after the battle they shall go up from that place

Herod was an Edomite. .........

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
John goes out of his way to equate Yeshua to the light of Genesis 1, and between the lines drawing upon Hanukka light symbolism.

Since the sun, moon and stars are not created until the FOURTH day, many believe that Light (named "Day" by God) is not the elementary particles (photons) that make up the physical phenomenon of light, but something else.

The primary suggestions are that it is a special force (described as being kept by God and given to the prophets to allow them to see what is happening elsewhere in the world, see through walls, see what is happening behind a corner, or see into the future) or that it denotes the entity called the Angel of the Lord, (Metatron,) to whom Yeshua is either equated or compared in many significant instances in scripture.

I have heard that in Hebrew it does not say 'Let there be light' but instead it says

'Be light' hayah or

It brings to mind

hayah

Asher hayah V'hoveh v'yavo

Upvote 0

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Devarim 11:21
Visit site
✟113,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
John 12:36 actually says (huioi) sons of light:

John 12:36 The Scriptures (ISR 2009)
36 “While you have the light, believe in the light, so that you become sons of light.” These words יהושע spoke, and went off and was hidden from them.

Paul says the same:

1 Thessalonians 5:5 The Scriptures (ISR 2009)
5 For you are all sons of light and sons of the day. We are not of the night nor of darkness.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Light is Life

Life is Light

Darkness is Death

Death
is Darkness

So In the beginning

1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep.
And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

So if we replace the words with Life and Death

1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
2 And the earth was without form, and void; and death was upon the face of the deep.
And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
3 And God said, Let there be life: and there was life.

Same here

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

Life overpowering death.

Revelation 21:4 He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death' or mourning
or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Lulav what is this war or the sons? Light and dark. The Col 1. Is this collosians.

When thinking about the witness Elisha a picture comes to mind. A sea of reeds is a person. Strain the gnat swallow a camel.
Are you thinking about the community scroll? Do you think John lived at Qumran before making his scheduled appearance?

When was there more than one prophet at the same time?

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
That's what I'm alluding to, looking for past prophets that prophesied at the same time, then perhaps we can determine who the two are that are spoken of in Revelation.

In Rev 11:3 most all the version say this or translate as this

And I will give power unto my two witnesses

But in reading the Greek I found that it can also read in English as

I will give power to two witnesses of me

This brings to mind Acts 1:8

But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my
witnesses
in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the ...

And later on in the same chapter
21 Wherefore of these men which have companied with us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us,
22 Beginning from the baptism of John, unto that same day that he was taken up from us, must one be ordained to be a witness with us of his resurrection.
23 And they appointed two, Joseph called Barsabas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthias.

Now there's lots of clues there if we are to use this.

To find a replacement for Juda they chose only two from all that had been there.
They had to have been there from the beginning from the Baptism of Jesus by John (his initiation into his mission)
until the ascension.

Now that narrows it down quite a bit.

These would qualify to be a witness to his resurrection, so how does that work, how does the

baptism and the ascension witness to the resurrection?

We'll get back to that.

But who was there at the Baptism and the ascension?

All twelve? Eleven? no

Since the gospel of John is where we started with the witness lets go there.

John (Yeshua's cousin) was a witness to the Spirit descending, and the baptism but he died before Yeshua

29 The next day John sees Jesus coming unto him, and said, Behold the Lamb of God, which takes away the sin of the world. 30This is he of whom I said, After me comes a man which is preferred before me: for he was before me.
And I knew him not: but that he should be made manifest to Israel, therefore am I come baptizing with water.
And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him.
And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.
34 And I saw, and bare record that this is the Son of God.

Now who was there that day?

35 Again the next day after John stood, and two of his disciples; 36 And looking upon Jesus as he walked, he saith, Behold the Lamb of God! 37 And the two disciples heard him speak, and they followed Jesus. 38 Then Jesus turned, and saw them following, and saith unto them, What seek ye? They said unto him, Rabbi, (which is to say, being interpreted, Master,) where dwellest thou? 39 He saith unto them, Come and see. They came and saw where he dwelt, and abode with him that day: for it was about the tenth hour. 40 One of the two which heard John speak, and followed him, was Andrew, Simon Peter's brother. 41 He first findeth his own brother Simon, and saith unto him, We have found the Messias, which is, being interpreted, the Christ. 42 And he brought him to Jesus. And when Jesus beheld him, he said, Thou art Simon the son of Jona: thou shalt be called Cephas, which is by interpretation, A stone.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two of Johns disciples left him and followed Yeshua.
One of these two was Andrew

Now after the ascension they returned to Jerusalem as ordered by Yeshua, these are those who witnessed the ascension

When they had entered the city, they went up to the upper room where they were staying; that is,

1. Peter and
  2. John and
  3. James and
  4. Andrew,
  5. Philip and
  6. Thomas,
  7. Bartholomew and
  8. Matthew,
  9. James the son of Alphaeus, and
  10. Simon the Zealot, and
  11. Juda the son of James.
Some believe the second of the two that came from John ben Zachariah was John ben Zavdei

So could the two witnesses be John and Andrew?

Upvote 0

pinacled

walking with the Shekinah
Apr 29, 2015
United states
✟171,798.77
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Are you thinking about the community scroll? Do you think John lived at Qumran before making his scheduled appearance?

When was there more than one prophet at the same time?
Sorry about the mistake. The abreveiatin Col. Must be for column.
Do I think Elijah was at Qumran? Yes.

Something that caught my attention a few years back was the 2 swords. Not sure if this is possibly related to the discussion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pinacled

Apr 29, 2015
United states
✟171,798.77
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Something that caught my attention a few years back was the 2 swords. Not sure if this is possibly related to the discussion.

Ah. There smart phones are so impractical. I should of proof read before posting. Sorry for any confusion.
Elisha/John at qumran. Yes.

Upvote 0

pinacled

Apr 29, 2015
United states
✟171,798.77
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Sorry Lulav. Would you please continue. It wasnt my intention to interupt. I just get so excited when fellowship grows in an area.
Once past the bowls hasn't yet come as far as I see. Though there may be more to the New Yerusalem than one eye can see.

Upvote 0