Can God give us the feeling of the Holy Spirit twice?

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟177,048.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When I came to believe, it felt like there was a spring of water flowing throughout my body head to toe. It lasted for a few minutes, then faded and I felt filled with a good spirit and empowered. It was during late at night and I went to bed at the same time saying thank you to God. I loved reading the Bible more than ever, and started praying and singing my love for God has dramatically increased, and I want to worship and walk the Christian life. The other thing I forgot to mention is I can easily overcome sin, but it is still in my will to choose.

For about a week it started to really fade away, I can still overcome sin but I have a fear the Holy Spirit has left me since I wasn't feeling it inside anymore really. Sometimes I do get the feeling of it, but it's only a few pulses I could be mistaking it for something else I'm unsure.

I sort of have a fear that maybe the Holy Spirit left me, since I did slip up and fell into sin a couple times and I don't feel I have as strong as a connection to God.

I prayed one night and asked him for guidance, and I was telling the Lord my beliefs and asking him if I am on the right path. I said I don't know who you truly are but I acknowledge your existence that you are heavenly father Yahweh, and you sent your son Jesus Christ who is God in the flesh on this earth and died for my sins, and I accept you as my Lord and savior. After sincere prayers, I am in tears, and it felt like something was breathing on my neck when I was inside and no fan was running kinda spooked me at first.

I hope I am on the right path and that I am truly saved. I feel I am but I just am not quite 100% sure.

• Useful
Reactions: DennisTate

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
When I came to believe, it felt like there was a spring of water flowing throughout my body head to toe. It lasted for a few minutes, then faded and I felt filled with a good spirit and empowered. It was during late at night and I went to bed at the same time saying thank you to God. I loved reading the Bible more than ever, and started praying and singing my love for God has dramatically increased, and I want to worship and walk the Christian life. The other thing I forgot to mention is I can easily overcome sin, but it is still in my will to choose.

For about a week it started to really fade away, I can still overcome sin but I have a fear the Holy Spirit has left me since I wasn't feeling it inside anymore really. Sometimes I do get the feeling of it, but it's only a few pulses I could be mistaking it for something else I'm unsure.

I sort of have a fear that maybe the Holy Spirit left me, since I did slip up and fell into sin a couple times and I don't feel I have as strong as a connection to God.

I prayed one night and asked him for guidance, and I was telling the Lord my beliefs and asking him if I am on the right path. I said I don't know who you truly are but I acknowledge your existence that you are heavenly father Yahweh, and you sent your son Jesus Christ who is God in the flesh on this earth and died for my sins, and I accept you as my Lord and savior. After sincere prayers, I am in tears, and it felt like something was breathing on my neck when I was inside and no fan was running kinda spooked me at first.

I hope I am on the right path and that I am truly saved. I feel I am but I just am not quite 100% sure.

This may help you:

https://www.impantokratoros.gr/7F8475F3.en.aspx

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The apostles and those in the upper room were filled with the Holy Spirit. And then in Acts 4 the whole group, along with those who joined later, were again filled with the Holy Spirit.

31 And when they had prayed, the place where they were assembled together was shaken; and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and they spoke the word of God with boldness.

Remember, God dwells in us all the time. We have a choice whether to keep in step with the Spirit or not. Yet even those in Acts were not having such experiences every moment. They still had the Spirit, and there were times the Spirit particularly manifested itself.

We learn to trust even when we don't feel anything because we know the One we have trusted. Do not let this discourage you.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A little bit on the feeling part, and much more on the word of God, but I was hearing I could lose my salvation. So I'm not a 100% sure.
The Lord hasn't given you a spirit of fear, so, if you are walking around in fear (especially pertaining to losing your status as a son of God) then it isn't coming from God! And brother, don't go by feelings... they're nice, they can be a second witness, but His word must be the first witness. What did Paul say, "Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God." We hear the Word and we stand or act on what we heard... that is faith. And the just don't live by feelings, the just live by faith. :)

Blessings.
Ken

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello and welcome to CF. :)

God very frequently gives special experiences to new believers or those who are recently committed to Him. Everything He does is for our benefit. But those are for our strengthening and are ways of blessing us.

What people often don't understand is the variation in spiritual life, and we also tend to base far too much on our feelings.

God never leaves us. We can reject Him, but He does not abandon us. However, there comes for everyone a time to grow as well. We must learn to be faithful to our our life in Christ, and trust in Him even when these early "sweets" are no longer part of our experience. They may come and go - it depends on our individual walk. But to focus on them and seek for them is counterproductive to our spiritual life. We replace God with feelings in that case, and He won't help us to do that.

Don't fear God has left you. It's time to live the Christian life, walk it out in faith now. Temptations vary for different people - don't be surprised if they come.

But be careful in looking for all these "indicators" of how to proceed. The enemy can intrude and offer thoughts and sensations too, and is all too happy to do so if he can deceive us. Trust rather in what we know to be true.

God be with you.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟736,252.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Your experience is the same as many Christians God often when we are first saved will give us strong spiritual experiences to build our faith. Over time God allows these to fade, for we don't need to know every intimate thought of God, we just need to trust his word to us. God's word is powerful, it contains all the power and love that you have felt. There are generally two things God would have for us, where possible with in the circumstance a good natural life, a blessed life, and a life of purpose and mission. God enables us to choose how far we push the purpose, while granting us life. I am not saying you will never have a problem in life, problems come and go, but ultimately God will bless you. Just study the bible, get to know God's nature through it, whilst being thankful for what he has shown you experiencually.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

I think that it is common to have times when you have a lot of the Holy Spirit then it seems to fade for a while..........

At first it seems like our prayers are answered more powerfully... but more is expected of us as we grow and learn.....

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Do you believe that you are filled with the Holy Spirit because you feel it, or because the Word of God says it?
For many centuries the institutional church taught that all believers were filled with the spirit on conversion, on christening, on baptism, etc. -take your pick.

Anyone who taught about the baptism in the Spirit, or the gifts, was condemned as a false teacher.

You can in fact see this false theology being taught vociferously on this forum. They use the same words you use above to claim something that is patently not true.
It is only after they humble themselves and seek God that the Holy Spirit comes on them.

If you are filled with the Holy Spirit, it should be tangible, either by the gifts, or that sense of inner peace.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
For many centuries the institutional church taught that all believers were filled with the spirit on conversion, on christening, on baptism, etc. -take your pick.

Anyone who taught about the baptism in the Spirit, or the gifts, was condemned as a false teacher.

You can in fact see this false theology being taught vociferously on this forum. They use the same words you use above to claim something that is patently not true.
It is only after they humble themselves and seek God that the Holy Spirit comes on them.

If you are filled with the Holy Spirit, it should be tangible, either by the gifts, or that sense of inner peace.
For many years I believed that the evidence of being filled with the Spirit was speaking in tongues or the manifestation of the other gifts. But after more recent careful examination of New Testament Scripture, there is more support for the position that a person receives the fullness of the Holy Spirit when he receives Christ, and it is the indwelling Spirit who works conversion, transformation, and the believer being born again. Then he continues working in the believer to form Christ within him.

Therefore I have come to believe that the person receives the whole package at conversion. But, in saying that, it is another thing to allow the Holy Spirit to flow out of the person with the gifts. That takes learning and experience, and a bit of maturity.

I have come to also believe that the prime evidence of the filling of the Spirit is a transformed life where the fruit of the Spirit is radiating out of the person. Where the person was opposed to God, not understanding the Bible, seeing church as a drudgery, not wanting to be a religious nut, wanting to live life first, etc.; now, the person loves God, love His Word, finds fellowship at church the high point of his week, wants to live a life that glorifies Christ, is not afraid to identify himself with Christ and share the gospel. It is that difference that shows that a person is truly converted and filled with the Spirit.

I believe that right from conversion, the believer has the potential and ability to manifest any of the gifts of the Spirit, and he should followed what Paul taught: "Pursue love, and desire Spiritual gifts".

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can God give us the feeling of the Holy Spirit twice?

OF course!!! 1000 times - 10,000 times. Whether you happen to feel the "Warm Bubblies" or not isn't the issue. It's whether you are walking in FAITH (Heb 11:1) that you're Cleansed from your sin, and PERFECT in the sight of God with Jesus' righteousness.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I was looking for a place where Yahuweh Sovereign Almighty Creator
says He uses stumbling to teach someone, but couldn't find it again, yet.

This did come up though, and may be appropriate for us all to meditate upon:

Hebrews 12:13-15 TPT - for as you keep walking forward on ...

"https://www.biblegateway.com › passage

for as you keep walking forward on God's paths all your stumbling ways will be divinely healed! "

since I did slip up and fell into sin a couple times and I don't feel I have as strong as a connection to God.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
OF course!!! 1000 times - 10,000 times. Whether you happen to feel the "Warm Bubblies" or not isn't the issue. It's whether you are walking in FAITH (Heb 11:1) that you're Cleansed from your sin, and PERFECT in the sight of God with Jesus' righteousness.
The main feelings we have when the Holy Spirit is working in and through us are joy and peace. We often experience the "wow!" emotion as well when we see Him doing something wonderful either in us or through us. The Scripture says that we rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory.

Also, the Holy Spirit can bring feelings of conviction when we need correction, and these can be quite unpleasant, and we can feel very unsettled until we get things right with God. It is like the jolt of hitting the "electric fence" when we get off the track.

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was looking for a place where Yahuweh Sovereign Almighty Creator says He uses stumbling to teach someone, but couldn't find it again, yet.

2 Chron 32:31 where Hezekiah went off the rails.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

K2K

Jul 21, 2010
✟50,646.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It sounds like you are 'on the right path'.

The Lord never leaves you! We don't need to feel Him, but He does love doing incredible things at times. That feeling you talked about it certainly one of the incredible things He does. You described it really well, but He came come in many ways.

Still the Lord explained that He (the Spirit) will guide us into all truth and that by speaking to our spirit.

Jn 16:13 But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and will disclose to you what is to come.

So the feelings are great and very encouraging, but primarily we need to seek His voice and what He has to say to us! Remember it is the Holy Spirit speaking the Words of our Lord's to our spirit, so we pick up what He says in our spirit, not our physical ears. Because we don't practice listening with our spiritual ears we often pick up what He is saying to us as an unction or understand that God is telling us something. If we practice more we hear Him better. So it is not really about the feelings but about His voice. Still, I hear my wife but I love her hugs. The love of God is incredible, but let those who have an ear to hear (us) hear what the Spirit has to say to them.

Upvote 0

GaveMeJoy

Nov 28, 2019
San diego
✟41,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced

The indwelling of the HS is not an emotional feeling or physical experience, please don't fear that you have lost anything. The word tells us that no one will snatch us from the Father's hand. No works will ever justify you, but John 15 tells you how to know that you are saved. If you continue to bear fruit, and move towards God, as opposed to away from him--though there will be ups and downs--you will persevere to the end and God will say "well done, my good and faithful servant!" Be encouraged and read John 15. Remain in the vine!

Upvote 0

GaveMeJoy

Nov 28, 2019
San diego
✟41,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
The indwelling of the HS is not an emotional feeling or physical experience, please don't fear that you have lost anything. The word tells us that no one will snatch us from the Father's hand. No works will ever justify you, but John 15 tells you how to know that you are saved. If you continue to bear fruit, and move towards God, as opposed to away from him--though there will be ups and downs--you will persevere to the end and God will say "well done, my good and faithful servant!" Be encouraged and read John 15. Remain in the vine!
Not to say that works save you, or you will lose your salvation, but that if you are truly saved, the fruit will come, Christ speaks it himself.

Upvote 0