Can dividing the Body of Christ on prejudicial grounds and taking the Lord's Supper, result in serious sickness - even death... ???

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟381,612.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is one of the most serious warnings in the New Testament.

1 Cor 11
27 Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty concerning the body and blood of the Lord.
28 Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup.
29 For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment on himself.
30 That is why many of you are weak and ill, and some have died.
31 But if we judged ourselves truly, we would not be judged.
32 But when we are judged by the Lord, we are disciplined so that we may not be condemned along with the world.

What exactly was He meaning ?

Do folks suffer under this warning today?

What does the original Greek reveal about discerning the Body - is this a reference to the Body of Christ the Church ?

Comment greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Benjamin Müller

May 19, 2018
Western New York
✟43,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
In preparation for Passover we are always reminded of this and the theme pre-Passover is for us to examine ourselves. Have we slacked off; have we improved? Without examination you can't set spiritual goals, because without examination you don't know where you're failing and where you're succeeding.

For me this years examination, I realized that I get caught up in materialism, covetousness and greed and so the "new year resolution" so to speak, was to focus on spiritualism, giving, and servitude. Less of me and more of you.

Without actively repenting and practicing righteousness, God will not hear our prayers (or at least answer them) We know God heareth not sinners. And so if we remain in our sins, we remain in our sicknesses and sufferings. So, yes, people do suffer today by not discerning the Lord's Body and where they are in that body. We are to judge ourselves, so that we are not condemned with the world. We judge ourselves by honestly examining our spiritual growth and honestly confessing our sins, and diligently setting a goal to improve where we are failing.

Upvote 0

Benjamin Müller

May 19, 2018
Western New York
✟43,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
So discerning the Lords Body includes the whole Body of Christ ?

So if I have a prejudice against a certain denomination I should confess, repent and correct that ???
There is truth and error in every denomination and I'm not going to be tolerant towards error. That doesn't mean I'm going to be prejudice and cruel to individual people in those denominations because I don't know what they agree with, what they disagree with or where their hearts lie, only God knows that.

There's a difference between being prejudice toward or hating (false) doctrine, and being prejudice towards and hating people.

We stand for truth; we don't repent for being intolerant towards lies. We are not the children of the Devil who was a liar and a murderer from the beginning; we're children of Christ who is Light and Truth.

I'm not going to judge people while they are on their pursuit for truth, and that pursuit is a life-long journey. But I will judge false doctrine and reject that doctrine or denomination that teaches lies.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟326,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

1 Cor 11
27 Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty concerning the body and blood of the Lord.
28 Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup.
29 For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment on himself.
32 But when we are judged by the Lord, we are disciplined so that we may not be condemned along with the world.

What does the original Greek reveal about discerning the Body - is this a reference to the Body of Christ the Church ?

He's talking about the Eucharist. It is, and always has been, the Christian belief that the bread and wine after blessing become the body and blood of Christ. Paul taught that eating the Eucharist "in an unworthy manner" could result in death. Note that eating and drinking in an unworthy manner brings judgment on the person. To participate in the Eucharist in a state of unrepentant sin is to participate in an unworthy manner. That is the reason for confession before participating. He goes on to say "let a person examine himself", meaning examine his conscience before in order to prevent that judgement. He also says "if we judged ourselves" we would not be judged.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟381,612.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He's talking about the Eucharist. It is, and always has been, the Christian belief that the bread and wine after blessing become the body and blood of Christ. Paul taught that eating the Eucharist "in an unworthy manner" could result in death. Note that eating and drinking in an unworthy manner brings judgment on the person. To participate in the Eucharist in a state of unrepentant sin is to participate in an unworthy manner. That is the reason for confession before participating. He goes on to say "let a person examine himself", meaning examine his conscience before in order to prevent that judgement. He also says "if we judged ourselves" we would not be judged.

Yes - and the warning includes putting things right with a brother first.

So we need a right attitude towards ourselves and the Body of Christ.

• Agree
Reactions: Lukaris
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟381,612.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes - and the warning includes putting things right with a brother first.

So we need a right attitude towards ourselves and the Body of Christ.

There are some on CF who believe they are exclusively recipients of salvation but don't state it to avoid a ban.

These folks are in danger of not discerning the Body of Christ and are in danger of the consequences that go with this warning.

Upvote 0

Benjamin Müller

May 19, 2018
Western New York
✟43,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
There are some on CF who believe they are exclusively recipients of salvation but don't state it to avoid a ban.

These folks are in danger of not discerning the Body of Christ and are in danger of the consequences that go with this warning.
Whatever consequences they may or may not have is not your concern; don't worry about them; worry about your own salvation and relationship with God. They will have their day in court as we all will.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟912,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

1 Cor 11

I was at a Catholic funeral and the Priest said only those who are practicing Catholics can take part in communion. Communion is not what it used to be. :( Blessings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟281,047.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
1 Cor 11:27 Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty concerning the body and blood of the Lord.

I see it as referring back to 1 Co 11:17-22 and profaning the Lord's Table, coming to it as a secular banquet, without discerning the body of the Lord and making no distinction between the Lord's Supper and a secular banquet.

There seems to be a greater penalty for disobedience at the beginning of an era, as in Nadab and Abihu, Uzzah, Ananias and Saphira, to establish the importance of obedience to the command. I tend to see 1Co 11:29-32 in that light.

• Useful
Reactions: Carl Emerson
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟381,612.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Whatever consequences they may or may not have is not your concern; don't worry about them; worry about your own salvation and relationship with God. They will have their day in court as we all will.

Are you suggesting in this age there is no requirement to warn of the consequences of sin?

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟381,612.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I see it as referring back to 1 Co 11:17-22 and profaning the Lord's Table, coming to it as a secular banquet, without discerning the body of the Lord and making no distinction between the Lord's Supper and a secular banquet.

There seems to be a greater penalty for disobedience at the beginning of an era, as in Nadab and Abihu, Uzzah, Ananias and Saphira, to establish the importance of obedience to the command. I tend to see 1Co 11:29-32 in that light.

Such a warning may also apply to ones attitude to the Body of Christ otherwise the warning to find peace with your brother before partaking would not have been made.

Actually this is the issue that was fundamental to the disagreement between Paul and Peter. Peter was wrongly discerning the Body of Christ.

So I am more inclined to see different levels of truth are associated with this warning. Interesting that such a serious warning is not higher in the consciousness of modern day believers.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟381,612.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Mmmm... Jesus commanded a return to first love -

Rev 2
2 “‘I know your works, your toil and your patient endurance, and how you cannot bear with those who are evil, but have tested those who call themselves apostles and are not, and found them to be false.
3 I know you are enduring patiently and bearing up for my name's sake, and you have not grown weary.
4 But I have this against you, that you have abandoned the love you had at first.
5 Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent, and do the works you did at first. If not, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place, unless you repent.

Would that the blessings and penalties return...

Upvote 0

Ain't Zwinglian

Feb 23, 2020
Oregon
✟108,770.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To participate in the Eucharist in a state of unrepentant sin is to participate in an unworthy manner. That is the reason for confession before participating. He goes on to say "let a person examine himself", meaning examine his conscience before in order to prevent that judgement. He also says "if we judged ourselves" we would not be judged.
Amen. Examining oneself is admitting were are sinful and needing the forgiveness of sins given in the Sacrament "This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins." Mt 26:28). This confession of sin is accomplished in the Lutheran liturgy most simplisticly......in the public confession of sin and absolution before being admitted to the table. All congregates who have publically confessed sins, go to communion with a clear conscience.

Last edited:
Reactions: HTacianas
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟281,047.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Mmmm... Jesus commanded a return to first love -
Rev 2:
2 - “‘I know your works, your toil and your patient endurance, and how you cannot bear with those who are evil, but have tested thosewho call themselves apostles and are not, and found them to be false.
3 I know you are enduring patiently and bearing up for my name's sake, and you have not grown weary.
4 But I have this against you, that you have abandoned the love you had at first.
5 Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent, and do the works you did at first. If not, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place, unless you repent.
Would that the blessings and penalties return...
That could be seen as in keeping with penalty at the beginning of the NT church era.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟381,612.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That could be seen as in keeping with penalty at the beginning of the NT church era.

Yes - but where is the justification for a rule change ?

First Love for them was a loving community - that is still His will for us don't you think ???

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟281,047.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

1 Cor 11

Yes. I know of a church where people suddenly started dying. The pastor was perplexed. I was not. The problem is, to be brutal, self correcting. Those with the wrong attitude either realise their error and are healed, or continue in sin and leave this earth.

• Informative
Reactions: Carl Emerson
Upvote 0