Albuquerque
✟36,726.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Christmas lights are usually efficient LED's these days.
My point?

"If Bitcoin were a country, it would rank in the top 30 worldwide for energy use. That’s roughly enough electricity to power countries with populations in the tens of millions, with an environmental burden of an estimated 34 megatons of carbon emissions or more, according to Digiconomist’s Bitcoin Energy Consumption Index.

Of course, Bitcoin isn’t unique among cryptocurrencies in terms of its environmental burden, but its high profile and uniquely inefficient transaction approval system make it an easy scapegoat. The blockchain technology that underlies it, meanwhile, could be the key to a greener future."

While people are being pestered to reduce greenhouse emissions and governments blackmailing/bribing businesses to help, bitcoin is a massive addition for absolutely no benefit to anyone. At least you can see Christmas decorations.

Sorry, I guess global warming isn't big on my radar screen.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm interested in the few gambling comments here. Why do you think buying Bitcoin is gambling?

When I think of gambling, I think of a game of chance; luck, with little skill involved. But market movements are quite predictable. No you won't win 100% of the time, but with the right skills and experience you can be assured to win a majority of the time, or to at least manage your risk well enough to limit your downside while gaining wins that are 2-3x your losses. Trading is about executing on probabilities. Sure there's risk involved, but the same is true of any type of business. A shop keeper has no guarantee that he'll profit off of everything he stocks his shelves with.

Now, if you don't know what you're doing and you're just hopping into a market on hope or hype (as many do, granted), that's gambling.

Here's a passage worth looking at: Matthew 25:14-30

I haven't actually invested in cryptos myself, but I'm an active swing trader in the stock market.

Bitcoin is a gamble. It has no assets. You know how people complain that the dollar is'nt tied to gold? Well Bitcoin is tied to nothing. It's tied to the ability of technology to produce it and use it. And the cost of electricity.

Upvote 0

linux.poet

Electric Nightfall
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2022
Poway
✟203,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Well Bitcoin is tied to nothing. It's tied to the ability of technology to produce it and use it. And the cost of electricity.
This looks contradictory to me.

Personally I think cryptocurrencies are based on the value of the internet itself. Bitcoin is based on the value of the hardware that makes the Internet possible, while other currencies, such as Ethereum, are based on the strength of online communities with the proof-of-stake transaction model.

I don't see any spiritual prohibition against investing in Bitcoin. The Bible does not specify the types of silver and gold that we will need to buy and use.

Reactions: Quasiblogo
Upvote 0

ulrichgood

Nov 10, 2023
Toronto
✟10,239.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Engaged
The decision to buy Bitcoin is a personal one and isn't restricted by religious beliefs. Many Christians see it as a form of investment. It's essential to consider individual convictions and do thorough research. On a separate note, for those engaging in crypto transactions, exploring privacy options like cryptomixers, such as Coinomize, can ensure a secure and confidential experience.

Upvote 0