???Can a churches worship genre be all....??

ComingWitDaBig3

Jus Coming In!!
May 10, 2009
✟7,717.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I was pondering on this topic:

Can the worhsip genre be all...Hip Hop? Reggae? old school like blues, jazz? or any other than than traditional genre like you would here in an anglican church or (depending to where you attend church) one's traditional church?

Personally: I think there can and is, it's just I haven't heard many testimonies of this.

All thoughts welcomed...:)

Last edited:

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

Can the worhsip genre be all...Hip Hop? Reggae? old school like blues, jazz? or any other than than traditional genre like you would here in an anglican church or (depending to where you attend church) one's traditional church?

Personally: I think there can and is, it's just I haven't heard many testimonies of this.

Why not.So long as it is not country music.lol.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Seeing the the main purpose of the music during the worship service is to prepare your heart for the coming word, among other things, then that is what your concern should be. I think this mostly has to do with whatever trips your trigger sort-of-speak.

And it's not just about genre but volume. I know many people who don't like blaring music in worship, likewise people who want blaring music. Some churches, like The Church of Christ, don't play music at all in their worship, they just sing.

The main point is you should ask whether if whatever is being played is preparing you. Jesus said that the true worshippers of God will worship him in spirit and in truth (John 4), if you need something to get you there, use it. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Reactions: gratefulgrace
Upvote 0

Leah

2 Corinthians 5:21
May 26, 2005
✟7,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why not.So long as it is not country music.lol.

^_^

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the country music genre, either. But I'd still listen to it, and any genre of music, so long as they portray and bring the message of Christ and His awesomeness. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Frogster
Upvote 0

Andy S. Wright

Hiding In Plain Sight
Jun 6, 2009
Texas
✟11,256.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
IMHO, the worship service isn't about us; it never has been. Worship is supposed to be about God and God alone. It's about what pleases HIM, not us. I believe scriptures clearly indicate what pleases God isn't located in a hymnal, a lead sheet or a music track; its located in our hearts.

I do not believe God cares about the genre of music being played. He's seeking for "true worshippers" (John 4:23). People who get hung up on the scriptural requirements for worship music fail to recognize their own musical bias plays a huge role in their conclusion; and by "huge role" I mean 100% of it. It is very easy to mask our own prefrences with righteous rhetoric so that it sounds very holy and scriptural.

Truth is, true worshippers can worship God regardless of what music is being played. It is the prideful posers in our churches who make mountains out of musical molehills.

That's just my .02. Do with it what you will.

ASW

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
^_^

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the country music genre, either. But I'd still listen to it, and any genre of music, so long as they portray and bring the message of Christ and His awesomeness. :thumbsup:

It is always about some guy in a pick-up truck,that lost his job.And how him and Amy,are going to finally get it right.:D

Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Unless you're planning on bringing back the harp and the lyre, its all contemporary to a degree from a biblical timeframe perspective.

IMO, what really matters most is it Christ-centered, cross-focused, and can the worshippers join in on the worship with minimal undue distractions caused by the music itself.

Upvote 0

ComingWitDaBig3

Jus Coming In!!
May 10, 2009
✟7,717.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I can understand the part of it not being focused right, worship is for God, not us. I asked this question because only to see if it may be an anomaly (Based on the posts so for, it's not).

'tis true Nephilimiyr, volume can be a problem with certain people.

BTW, I like a lot of the statements that talk about true worshippers, why, 'cause it's true, that's what God is looking for, not the genre.

When a worship service is valued based on the style of music it becomes entertainment, not worship.

~Jim

Mercy triumphs over judgment. ~James 2.13
Good post Jim, :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sk8Joyful

Aug 23, 2005
✟28,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
worship is for God, not us.
What does God, from our worshipping Him, need? & get, - you think.

BTW, I like a lot of the statements that talk about true worshippers,
why, 'cause it's true, that's what God is looking for
'false'-worship, vs. true-worshippers: by what Beliefs, & actions do you define each?

People throw words around, but very few think to discuss
how these translate into actions that matter... both to God, & christians. :wave:

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
What does God, from our worshipping Him, need? & get, - you think.
God is love and one of the qualities of love is that it has to share itself and give, not necessarily recieve. I'm at odds with this notion that worship is for God only and only about him, not for or about us. In fact, I've always believed that worship was mainly for us. It releases God's goodness and power in our lives when we praise and worship him. I would have to disagree with anyone who says that praise and worship is not about us but about God only.

'false'-worship, vs. true-worshippers: by what Beliefs, & actions do you define each?

People throw words around, but very few think to discuss
how these translate into actions that matter... both to God, & christians. :wave:
Actions? I would rather say that praise and worship comes from the heart and from the spirit. Although that might cause us to act in certain ways, our actions during praise and worship is only a result, and or reflection, of what's coming from our heart and spirit. God share's his love with us, we recieve it and share it back with him, and if we truely have recieved his love we will want to share it back to him and others. To me that is true worship. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
For the purposes of basic definition:

Worship is meditative and praise is expressive.

People tend to make sacred what they like. Bottom line: If the music you listen to helps you be meditative and or expressive then it is doing what it is designed to do.

Worship music is just like the gifts of the Spirit, sermons, pastors, teachers, prophets, etc... They are not designed to be the focus, but to be used as tools that serve to help the believer focus on God.

Upvote 0

hopeinGod

A voice crying in the wilderness
Jul 26, 2004
Florida
Visit site
✟2,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I am one who will walk out of a loud service, no matter the point at which it arrives, be it in worship, dramatics, announcements, goofy extroverts, or the sermon.

As a Vietnam era veteran, my ears were severely effected by the daily use of pneumatic tools and manning the 5"38 artillery. My ears now ring louder than the average volume of a TV set, 24/7. And for this disability, I get a whopping $127 a month.

To be balanced, I should also mention that I do experience silence, from God, in response to 30 years of praying for healing.

Dave

Upvote 0

ComingWitDaBig3

Jus Coming In!!
May 10, 2009
✟7,717.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
(1)What does God, from our worshipping Him, need? & get, - you think.

(2)'false'-worship, vs. true-worshippers: by what Beliefs, & actions do you define each?

(3)People throw words around, but very few think to discuss

(1,2) I'm going to combine and explanation for both good points: If I am a true worshippper this means that I truly love the Lord and am devoted to Him and thus express it in some way, in this case maybe with singing and music (thus God needs to know that I am willing to sacrifice everything for my devotion to Him, and he gets my loyalty to Him). A false worshipper would mean quite the opposite.

(3) 'Tis true, words are very powerful and should be noted for thier proper use.

:cool:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoverofMuzik

Hi everybody !! :)
Dec 3, 2009
BC, Canada
✟16,101.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Wow ! Gotta say I really appreciate the comments on here regarding this subject matter. Incl. the country music ones, lol.

I too believe that it's all about the One Who is being worshiped not the one doing the worshipping. And that you could have one that is of just one genre, I have heard of there being a cowboy church..... so it can be done. Tho that would not be 4 me.....lol

Blessings, LoverofMuzik

Upvote 0

IchoozJC

Dec 5, 2004
✟10,672.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I bet if we visited a tribe in Africa that had recently had many new converts, and sat in on one of their services, we could figure this out very quick!

The church i attend has been going through some difficult times with worship. There is a lot of older folks that prefer their hymns and such, but the younger generations have increasingly brought in more contemporary worship. Especially with the new worship leader. So there is some grumbling going on. It's very sad. But it's also very difficult. Ever tried convincing a 70 year old christian who was saved as a child and grew up on hymns, that contemporary worship is all good in God's book? Though some share the same thoughts that you guys do, most can be very stubborn.

But I agree with you all, you have a very biblical understanding of it.

Upvote 0