Can a Christian listen to Berlioz and Liszt?

Unman87

Mar 7, 2023
Chorrera
✟7,842.00
Country
Panama
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique describes a diabolic Witches' sabbath, Liszt's Faust Symphony is about someone that sold his soul to the Devil (the same is done by Berlioz's La Damnation de Faust), Liszt's Dante symphony describes Hell and we have the Mephisto-Walzer. But at the same time, it is said that the Symphonie Fantastique was important in music history and had many innovations, and Liszt is said to be one of the greats and an innovator in music. So I don't know if I, as a Christian, can listen to the music previously mentioned.

Reactions: St_Worm2

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @Unman87, first off, WELCOME TO CF :wave:

You ask an interesting question, one that is not discussed directly in Scripture.

On the positive "it's ok to listen" side of things, the biggest advantage that we have with symphonic works is that they do not (typically) have words. So, the question is, could just listening to the 4th and 5th movements of Symphonie Fantastique cause a believer spiritual harm of some sort, especially if they didn't know the "back-story" behind the music (or even if they do)? Personally, I think not, unless someone chooses to mentally wander away from their focus on the music alone and become deeply involved with the back-story instead, perhaps bringing it to life in their mind's eye :oops:

I know the story and I have never sensed any spiritual ill-effect from it over my many years of listening to it and playing it, but that's me. You have to decide what is best for you (and how what you choose to do will affect the people around you too, especially if they know that you are a Christian).

You might also consider what is said in the following chapters/passages, as something there may prove to be useful to you if you can tie the topics together: Romans 14; 1 Corinthians 8:1-13; 1 Corinthians 10:23-30.

God bless you!!

--David
p.s. - if I have additional thoughts about this I'll return and share them with you (Dv).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,363.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique describes a diabolic Witches' sabbath, Liszt's Faust Symphony is about someone that sold his soul to the Devil (the same is done by Berlioz's La Damnation de Faust), Liszt's Dante symphony describes Hell and we have the Mephisto-Walzer. But at the same time, it is said that the Symphonie Fantastique was important in music history and had many innovations, and Liszt is said to be one of the greats and an innovator in music. So I don't know if I, as a Christian, can listen to the music previously mentioned.
I don't see any reason why not.
Listening to the theme to Superman will not make you able to fly around the world.
Listening to the Magic Flute will not make you a Freemason.
Listening to the Hallelujah Chorus would not make an unbeliever a Christian.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

If you have two ears, I think you "can" listen to it.

I don't know if you'll go deaf in the process when doing so, but I've listened to these and other similar pieces like Saint-Saens Dance Macabre, and I still have my auditory ability intact. :sorry:

Upvote 0

Chaleb

Mar 10, 2023
Florida
✟4,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The bible has rape, incest, murder, a Devil, , demons, ...... in it.

The world has all this in it, and perhaps your neighbors are doing it.

Don't worry about Opera.
Enjoy listening to your music.

Now , watching Opera is different because Opera can be very visually sensual as presented on Stage.
You have to use discernment, in THAT case.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Rite of Spring by Stravinsky is also "pagan" themed.

Are we going to have another "Bonfire of the Vanities"? Most of those artists were influenced by Romanticism, and their works were not meant to be taken literally, much less prescriptively, playing around with powerful symbols in our past. It was meant to be a kind of echo of a lost age of enchantment, a rebellion against the Newtonian worldview, which had no need for witches, gods, or devils.

Upvote 0

Stephen3141

Mar 14, 2023
Southwest
✟40,006.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
"Can" means is physically able to. the answer to THAT, is yes.

Upvote 0