Can a christian curse another christian?

profoundgrace

Lord restore my soul
Nov 13, 2019
Hawaii
✟18,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi All... I was hurt by someone I called a "friend" but who took advantage of me financially and other people. So I was finally fed up with him and cursed him - that God would cause him to reach rock bottom in his life to facilitate change and that God would teach him a lesson. For more than a decade he took advantage of people so he didn't have to work. He freeloads on people. I know all this cause he was also my ex boyfriend and he has hurt me a lot too.

Is it wrong to pray God to work on our behalf and pray ill will against someone who has hurt us? Didn't David from Psalms prayed those kinds of curses towards his enemies?

Im not sure if I should be feeling guilty over this, but this person is very selfish and being a Christian leader, doesn't set a good example. He borrowed money from a couple of people our Bible study group and never returned any of the money. He has made many promises he has broken. He is a Christian and he has accepted Christ. He used to do drug and was in jail for a while, God turned his life around and so he stopped doing all those things...but it seems like the financial irresponsibility and freeloading from people never changed in his life.

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Upvote 0

profoundgrace

Lord restore my soul
Nov 13, 2019
Hawaii
✟18,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Willing-heart

In Christ Alone.
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2017
Gloucester
Visit site
✟221,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is it wrong to pray God to work on our behalf and pray ill will against someone who has hurt us? Didn't David from Psalms prayed those kinds of curses towards his enemies?

It is not Christlike to pray ill against anyone so it is wrong if you should do so. Ask that God will change the person's heart. In fact, forgive the person cos that is what Christ did for you by dying for you while you were still a sinner.

“With the tongue we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not be so.” – James 3:9-10

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi All... I was hurt by someone I called a "friend" but who took advantage of me financially and other people. So I was finally fed up with him and cursed him - that God would cause him to reach rock bottom in his life to facilitate change and that God would teach him a lesson. For more than a decade he took advantage of people so he didn't have to work. He freeloads on people. I know all this cause he was also my ex boyfriend and he has hurt me a lot too.

Im not sure if I should be feeling guilty over this, but this person is very selfish and being a Christian leader, doesn't set a good example. He borrowed money from a couple of people our Bible study group and never returned any of the money. He has made many promises he has broken. He is a Christian and he has accepted Christ. He used to do drug and was in jail for a while, God turned his life around and so he stopped doing all those things...but it seems like the financial irresponsibility and freeloading from people never changed in his life.

Is this person your enemy? Doesn't sound like it. Sounds more like he needs to be held accountable though for sinning against his brothers and sisters.

Matthew 18:15-17
“If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every charge may be established by the evidence of two or three witnesses. If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector.

According to him Psalm 109 is a psalm of revenge. The psalm is to be read for three days with the name El (God) in order to bring God's revenge on the wicked enemies.

• Agree
Reactions: saved24
Upvote 0

profoundgrace

Lord restore my soul
Nov 13, 2019
Hawaii
✟18,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is this person your enemy? Doesn't sound like it. Sounds more like he needs to be held accountable though for sinning against his brothers and sisters.

Matthew 18:15-17
“If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every charge may be established by the evidence of two or three witnesses. If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector.

According to him Psalm 109 is a psalm of revenge. The psalm is to be read for three days with the name El (God) in order to bring God's revenge on the wicked enemies.

To be honest, there are times when I see him as an enemy and not as a brother. As he has influenced me for the worse, such as encouraging me to break the rules and even at one time encouraging me to drink beer when I didn't want to and to just try it. I just find it's a fine line sometimes. How do I take this anger in my heart? It it ok to be angry when someone has hurt us and taken advantage of us? Not necessarily curse but is it okay to pray that God discipline someone who hurt us? God says in the Bible, that vengeance is His and He will repay.

Upvote 0

Mathetes66

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Pacifc Northwest
✟90,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We can WARN people about those who do such things.

Eph 4:25-28 Therefore each of you must put off falsehood & speak truthfully to your neighbor, for we are all members of one body. “In your anger do not sin” : Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry; do not give the devil a foothold. Anyone who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with their own hands, so that they may have something to share with those in need.

I Thess 5:14,15 Brothers & sisters, we urge you to warn those who are lazy. Encourage those who are timid. Take tender care of those who are weak. Be patient with everyone. Make sure that no one repays evil for evil. Always pursue what is good for one another & for all people.

2 Thess 3:6-15 Our friends, we command you in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to keep away from all believers who are living a lazy life and who do not follow the instructions that we gave them. For you yourselves know how you ought to imitate us, because we were not undisciplined among you, nor did we eat anyone’s food without paying for it.

Instead, in labor & toil, we worked night & day so that we would not be a burden to any of you. Not that we lack this right, but we wanted to offer ourselves as an example for you to imitate.

10For even while we were with you, we gave you this command: “If anyone is unwilling to work, he shall not eat.” Yet we hear that some of you are leading undisciplined lives & accomplishing nothing but being busybodies. We command & urge such people by our Lord Jesus Christ to begin working quietly to earn their own living.

13But as for you, brothers, do not grow weary in well-doing. Take note of anyone who does not obey the instructions we have given in this letter. Do not associate with him, so that he may be ashamed. Yet do not regard him as an enemy, but warn him as a brother.

But I am more concerned of your resentment & lack of true forgiveness toward this man & because he has hurt you in the past. Forgive from the heart & no longer be a prisoner to those resentments. Be set free in Christ.

Psalm 37:21 The wicked borrows & does not repay, but the righteous shows mercy & gives.

It may be that you might not want to contribute to the temptation to wickedness in his life. You might then offer him work if he needs money, so he can do honest work with his hands & help others as well. I have done this on various occasions, even using this to teach my niece's boys how to honestly work & not be be lazy or doing this with homeless people.

Upvote 0

Ricky M

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2017
Los Angeles
✟130,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I believe that yes we can curse people, and have done so once with great effect. There is Biblical precedent for it. But it should ONLY be done under God's leading, and ONLY for God's glory. Any pretext of self or revenge in motivation is wrong and risks calling down curses upon yourself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I appreciate the verses about not cursing but blessing. But I would really like to understand why it was okay for David to curse his enemies?
quote one or more times David cursed his enemies in context please so this can be answered.
(first quote ananias and saphira in context; don't leave that hanging)

But wasn't Ananias and Sapphira cursed when they lied about money in the New Testament?
quote it here in full, and let's see.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
To be honest, there are times when I see him as an enemy and not as a brother. As he has influenced me for the worse, such as encouraging me to break the rules and even at one time encouraging me to drink beer when I didn't want to and to just try it. I just find it's a fine line sometimes. How do I take this anger in my heart? It it ok to be angry when someone has hurt us and taken advantage of us? Not necessarily curse but is it okay to pray that God discipline someone who hurt us? God says in the Bible, that vengeance is His and He will repay.

well ... why wouldn't you pray for the Lord to work in his heart and show him the error of his ways instead of being angry?

Proverbs 19:11
Good sense makes one slow to anger, and it is his glory to overlook an offense.

If you are angry in your heart ... then you are not at peace.

No offense, but even when we are "influenced" ... one is to flee the situation or stand firm and not give into temptations.

Better to forgive .... way way better .... and not harbor the anger.

Upvote 0

profoundgrace

Lord restore my soul
Nov 13, 2019
Hawaii
✟18,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
well ... why wouldn't you pray for the Lord to work in his heart and show him the error of his ways instead of being angry?

No offense, but even when we are "influenced" ... one is to flee the situation or stand firm and not give into temptations.

Yes that's why I finally broke up with him, but he was very manipulative and I was praying he would change as I cared about him.

Yes I admit I have anger in my heart for how he has treated me and other people. I pray God gives me the the strength and ability to forgive him, because I can't do this on my own.

Upvote 0

profoundgrace

Lord restore my soul
Nov 13, 2019
Hawaii
✟18,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I have prayed a lot to God to change him. At one point I felt God was using me to change him as I confronted him with the truth of how his actions negatively affected others. Alas, I don't think it brought any change. I will let God, in time, do His work in his life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

profoundgrace

Lord restore my soul
Nov 13, 2019
Hawaii
✟18,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
quote one or more times David cursed his enemies in context please so this can be answered.
(first quote ananias and saphira in context; don't leave that hanging)
Im sorry I don't know the Bible passages on top of my head. Will have to look it up

Upvote 0

Mathetes66

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Pacifc Northwest
✟90,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes I admit I have anger in my heart for how he has treated me and other people. I pray God gives me the the strength and ability to forgive him, because I can't do this on my own.

Thanks for your honesty & desire to be right with God and others! I will be praying for God's grace, that you will avail yourself of it & God will empower you to forgive from the heart & remove the anger & hurt and that the Holy Spirit will come alongside you & comfort you as only He can. Hallelujah!

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

A few principles relate:
1) What we do to others, we do to Christ himself.
2) No one born of the Spirit can curse Christ.
3) Pray for those who wronged you.

It is permissible, to pray that they learn patience, be drawn closer to Jesus. If He is really a Christian God will convict him for his wrong doing to others. If He is not born of the Spirit, there will be no change because he is not hearing God's voice through Scriptures.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
A few principles relate:
1) What we do to others, we do to Christ himself.

Only note the differences in Scripture - between doing to Christ Himself, vs doing to the sons of the devil.... vs doing to the sons of disobedience.... vs doing to those weak in faith..... etc etc etc

we are always to do as the Father Says, all the time, everywhere, all the time, every day.

Note for immediate example just posted:

1 Corinthians 5:1-2[ A horrible sin and a stern remedy ] It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and immorality of a kind that even pagans condemn—a man has apparently taken his father’s wife! Are you still proud of your church? Shouldn’t you be overwhelmed with sorrow and shame? The man who has done such a thing should certainly be expelled from your fellowship!

Upvote 0