Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I think you can be a freemason and be christian, but I would not advise it.
a lot of it is symbolism for the sake of symbolism. also it has a gnostic vibe, while it is not anti-christian, it is also not christian.
it is only about 300 years old but there is all this ancient symbolism, just kinda silly

Upvote 0

Sphinx777

Nov 24, 2007
Bibliotheca Alexandrina
✟10,752.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think you can be a freemason and be christian, but I would not advise it.
a lot of it is symbolism for the sake of symbolism. also it has a gnostic vibe, while it is not anti-christian, it is also not christian.
it is only about 300 years old but there is all this ancient symbolism, just kinda silly

Have there been any reprieves from the Holy See concerning the ban on Catholics becoming Freemasons?

Catholicism and Freemasonry

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Have there been any reprieves from the Holy See concerning the ban on Catholics becoming Freemasons?
kinda, but not really, it used be something you were excommunicated over, now it is just looked at as a serious sin, like birth control, and like birth control many catholics do not really care what the Church has to say about it, there are a decent number of catholic masons and no one makes a big deal out of it.
Well not in america anyway, in south america and europe, the masons were far more involved in anti-catholic movements so it might be taken a little more seriously there

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't understand why a Christian couldn't become a Freemason. Freemasonry is not a religion, it is a society of religious people. Also, Freemasons have done a lot of good for society. Just look at what the Shiners, a group of Freemasons, do. They have set up hospitals for children whose parents can't otherwise afford appropriate care for their children. I say we should look at the Freemasons by their fruits and I honestly don't see any bad fruit coming from the Freemasons. But then again, maybe I haven't looked hard enough. If you know of any bad fruit coming from the Freemasons, post it here!

Upvote 0

SemperFidelis

Mean, angry Traditionalist
Jul 30, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
✟9,082.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals

Catholicism and Freemasonry

Nope, not at all. Unlike the 1917 Code of Canon Law, the 1983 Code doesn't EXPLICITLY ban Catholics from becoming Masons, which led some people to believe it was now considered OK, so The Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith issued a statement explicitly stating that the Church's position on Masonry remained unchanged and that any Catholic who was a Mason " is in a state of serious sin and may not approach Holy Communion".

It is also arguable that canon law still implicitly provides for the excommunication of Masons.

Either way, it is obvious that the Church still views masonic affiliation as an extremely serious matter.

You cannot be both a Catholic and a mason.

Blessings to you all,
:crossrc:
Steve

Upvote 0

ChristianFriend2012

Apr 20, 2008
✟7,684.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'll just briefly state that I agree with CountedWise and O.F.F. on this topic. Ex-masons have told me about the rituals and oaths that they themselves went through to climb the ranks, and they aren't very Christian rituals to say the least, the higher up in that "fraternity" they go, the more blatantly anti-Christ and even beyond it becomes. By the way, "fraternity"? Yeah right. Welp, its just a good ol boy's club folks, we can all go home now. No I don't think so. As an example, to better understand war, one might read "War is a Racket" by one of the most decorated marines in U.S. history, rather than say, go to a recruiter's office and stare at the perfect picture painted for you. Also when it comes to freemasonry, I choose to listen to Christians who were once devoted to Freemasonry to the point of going even beyond the 33 degrees, which I doubt any of us could or would want to imagine. If you yourself are a Christian, I recommend you do the same. Peace.

"Truth is stranger than fiction." ----Mark Twain

Upvote 0

lastblast

Feb 2, 2003
Visit site
✟15,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Its actually a requirement to believe in God to become a Freemason. Numerous Anglican Bishops have been Freemasons.

Is this the same Anglican church that embraces homosexuality and esteems men who are openly living in homosexual relationships (adulterers who have forsaken their families even)and are raised up in leadership positions?;)

Upvote 0
Its actually a requirement to believe in God to become a Freemason. Numerous Anglican Bishops have been Freemasons.

Not accurate. The belief requirement of Freemasonry is to "believe in the existence of a Supreme Being." There is an accounting in the Book of Mark where a man possessed by "Legion, for we are many", ran toward Jesus, fell at his feet and the voice within said, "What have we to do with you, Jesus, Son of the Most High God." The demon spirits know who He is, therefore they believe in His existence. That is a far cry from believing in Him and accepting Him as one's Lord and Savior.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SemperFidelis

Mean, angry Traditionalist
Jul 30, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
✟9,082.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
Wait a minute can't one be a prostitute and a Christian? Can't one be anything they want and be a Christian. I mean are there any perfect Christians out there? Please raise your hand.

Of course there aren't any perfect Christians out there, but freely choosing a sinful life - like prostitution, is a far cry from someone who is genuinely trying to live a holy life but falls short from time to time (or even all the time).

And by your reasoning, could I be a serial killer and a Christian ? How about a rapist and a Christian ? I'm sure you see what I am getting at. So in short, NO, you can't be anything you want and a Christian.

Blessings
:crossrc:
Steve

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If you really want an answer to this question...one that's based on scripture and experience, not conjecture might I suggest
Beyond the Light

Illuminating...

Illuminating? Maybe.

It appears that thsi author left the organization with an anti-Masonic agenda. The following review is worth noting:

"A Wiccan for sixteen years! A Mormon! A Mason for nine years! What's next? Major league baseball? I found this title absent of credibility. Maybe he's placed a spell on readers. Anyway, how can we expect truth from someone who could have opened the door of any church and entered anytime to explore options. Even while practicing witchcraft, etc? But, he's abandoned the Mormans and witches. Is the Prophecy Center next? And, The Prophecy Center sponsoring his Google video? The same organization who advertises and supports Assist 247 which lowered the director's cholesterol level in thirty days from well over a thousand to a little over one hundred? You paying attention medical researchers?

Plus, anyone can locate a passage in the Bible to suit his/her purpose. The Great Book is not for the picking, but for those who should follow it. Schnoebelen lacks credibility and his book is only good for lighting barbecue pits..."

Upvote 0
I'm not in the business of defending Bill Schnoebelen. I know Bill, and he has always impressed me as being somebody who is quite capable of defending himself.

But, I tend to be a tad suspicious when somebody begins with, "It appears that", which means "I don't have the slightest clue, but for my own purposes, maybe this will sail."

Book burning. Hmmm. Quite a popular pastime in some parts of the world circa 1938.

I would be interested in knowing which champion of free speech you are quoting. Sorry if I seem to be a bit picky, but I've always found that if somebody's credibility is being questioned, it helps to know the credibility of the person who is "lighting barbecue pits...". Sorta smacks of somebody with a pro-Masonic agenda.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

izarya

Theurgist Extraordinaire
Sep 14, 2005
Oregon
Visit site
✟2,645.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Freemasonry is far too anti-Christian if you ask me.
How anti-Christian is it? and if it is as secretive as most outsiders say it is, then how do they supposedly know more about its "inner-workings and teachings that the people who are inside?

Hmmm.......

Search Engine Scholars?

Upvote 0

izarya

Theurgist Extraordinaire
Sep 14, 2005
Oregon
Visit site
✟2,645.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Bill Schnoebelen ranks right in there with John Todd. It would take lifetimes (plural) to gain admittance onto the portico of, initiation into, and then rise through the ranks of the NUMEROUS fraternal and spiritual and religious organizations that both (especially Bill) claim to have had association with and background in.

Also, as someone who has a background in the Rose Cross Tradition and is an initiate of the Golden Dawn and two of it's higher branches I know for a fact that the "rank" or degree which Bill claims to hold is speculative. Living aspirants in Rosicrucianism can only achieve up to the 9th degree and even this EXTREMELY highly rare. The last three grades that make up the third order are Master of the Temple, Magus and Ipsisimus; of which the last is speculative and is only achieved by members who have passed on (died) and are believed to be working for the benefit of the order from "the other side." Often referred to as "The Secret Chiefs." Most (99% or more) of Rosicrucians only go to the 7th degree and that in old age.

These guys take advantage of gullible people who are more than willing to believe anything that perpetuates their delusions and preconceptions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi, Gwenyfur.

Somewhat of a shame, actually, that the only two people who responded to your mentioning of Bill Schnoebelen's book opted for character assassination in lieu of discussing the contents of the book in regard to Freemasonry and its incompatibility with the Christian faith.

Interesting thing about character assassination is that it is so very often the weapon of choice for those who attempt to defend that which is indefensible. The ploy is, "If you do not like the message, kill the messenger."

I've been subjected to that myself. I don't know anything about Bill's past, but I do know that during the period of time I was in contact with him, he was in love with the Lord. Hopefully, nobody will find fault with that.

Upvote 0

izarya

Theurgist Extraordinaire
Sep 14, 2005
Oregon
Visit site
✟2,645.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hi, Gwenyfur.

Somewhat of a shame, actually, that the only two people who responded to your mentioning of Bill Schnoebelen's book opted for character assassination in lieu of discussing the contents of the book in regard to Freemasonry and its incompatibility with the Christian faith.

Interesting thing about character assassination is that it is so very often the weapon of choice for those who attempt to defend that which is indefensible. The ploy is, "If you do not like the message, kill the messenger."

I've been subjected to that myself. I don't know anything about Bill's past, but I do know that during the period of time I was in contact with him, he was in love with the Lord. Hopefully, nobody will find fault with that.
I'm not attacking his character, he puts forth false information to those who are less informed and attempts to pass it off as if it were true.

Period.

How can anyone take anything he says 'in good faith' after he is knowingly and purposely deceptive?

No need to answer that.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.