Visit site
✟27,827.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I've also been enjoying some of the music of Avalon and Selah--perhaps not exactly Reformed, but definitely some of it is not as mushy as some of the other stuff out there! Selah's CD of hymns has some really rock solid old ones on there!

Upvote 0

AndOne

Deliver me oh Lord, from evil men
Apr 20, 2002
Florida
✟20,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
A bit of a rather radical band - UNDEROATH -on their latest CD has desiringgod.org (Piper's website) down as an organization that they support. Interesting - there music suddenly makes sense in light of the doctrine of Total Depravity...

Upvote 0

epistemaniac

Mar 4, 2006
north central Indiana
✟1,528.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
I also appreciate the recommendations..... I second the Caedmon's Call recommendations.... I went to see them in concert and they had a book table filled with Reformed books on theology..... OVE their stuff... so well produced and so great lyrically..... my son and I were listening to the Song "There You Go", in particular the line:

When I asked for and deserved a stone
You broke and gave your body as bread
And even the stone that dropped down and rolled away
Spoke of the one who bled

my son... he was about 12 or 13 at the time.... well you could just see his face as it all came together for him and it hit him very hard.... he broke down in tears and he and I prayed right there and then, in our basement, right in front of the washer and dryer lol.... as he asked for forgiveness for his sins and thanked God for the sacrifice Jesus made, the broken body.... as he realized, at least partially... the enourmity of what Jesus did.... I believe he was, at that moment, saved.... the full song is here:

There You Go

Is this the strange feeling
Of you working all to good
'Cause I am so confused
I don't even ask for what I should

When I asked for and deserved a stone
You broke and gave your body as bread
And even the stone that dropped down and rolled away
Spoke of the one who bled

There you go working good from my bad
There you go making robes from my rags
There you go melting crowns from my calves
There you go working good of all I have
Till all I have's not that bad

When I asked for and deserved a serpent
You gave a net full of fish
And even the serpent that told the lie
When lifted high foretold the gift

For you so loved the unlovable
That you gave the ineffable
That who so believes the unbelievable
Will gain the unattainable

good stuff musically (folk/rock maybe?.. hard to cetegorize them exactly) !! I love ALL of their albums.....

also, while I can't say for sure... I have always heard that Michael Card is Reformed, as is Wes King and for the heavey metal lovers out there.... the band Precious Death is most defintely reformed.... reading through the credits on the sleeve of their CD leaves no doubt as far as this band is concerned...

blessings,
Ken

Upvote 0

MrsJoy

In love with my wonderful husband
Jan 17, 2007
✟9,890.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the info. I checked out the website and enjoyed some of the music there.
As for the other song that you mentioned, I agree that the use of the word "harlot" is scriptural, however I do not know how comfortable I would be "singing along" to a song like that. Perhaps it is just a worry over what others might think, but not everyone would understand (at least at face value) why the word is used unless they asked (and how many people are really going to do that).
I actually enjoy his work. dh loves him so we have his cds, but some of them are quite out there for sure.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

strengthinweakness

Engaged to be married to Starcradle!
May 31, 2004
Maryland
✟8,717.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
If anybody here likes rap type stuff (my hubby does), check out Tripp Lee, LeCrae, and Shai Linne.

If you think that kind of music is from the devil, I'll just go crawl back in my hole and you can pretend I didn't say anything.;) :blush:

Wow! I didn't think that there would be anyone else here who cared for hip-hop at all! For the people who hate it, please know that God can work mightily through this art form (yes, it can be art, and good art at that :) ). There are actually a number of Reformed rappers whose lyrics are some of the most deep, edifying, and challenging that I have ever come across in any musical form. I just recently got a CD by Timothy Brindle entitled Killing Sin, and it is nothing short of a lyrical masterpiece. The title comes from Romans 8:13. For hip-hop fans, the beats and samples are outstanding! :) Check out this disc and many others at http://www.lampmode.com/http://www.lampmode.com/http://www.lampmode.com/

Also, Erin, have you ever heard of Sovereign Grace Music? This line of Reformed praise and worship CDs comes from the Reformed Charismatic movement of churches which was spearheaded by C.J. Mahaney and Covenant Life Church in Gaithersburg, MD. Regardless of whether one is charismatic in theology or not (I'm undecided but very cautious about it), any Reformed Christian should love the lyrics of Sovereign Grace's songs. The music is often good too! Go to http://www.sovereigngraceministries.org/, and click on "Resources."

Upvote 0

eutychus

the phlegmatic one
Feb 7, 2004
Louisville
Visit site
✟16,062.00
Faith
Calvinist
Politics
US-Others
Other excellent Christian reformed musicians are:
Andrew Peterson
Andrew Osenga

As a matter of fact, I'd wager that many Square Peg Alliance (squarepegalliance.net) members are reformed, but that would be a guess.

There's also Red Mountain Music who do reworked hymns like Indelible Grace.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jun 22, 2014
✟15,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello!

I am a music-loving Calvinist. While I am very blessed by the hynms that are sung at my Reformed Baptist Church, I was wondering if anyone knows of any Reformed Baptist or Calvinistic music groups with some more modern music (you know, something that I can sing to while I wash dishes). Currently, I know of no such groups and would appreciated it ever so much if someone could help me out.

Farms and Fields Project:
If anyone is interested in sound doctrine teaching from Scripture set to a contemporary Christian beat, feel free to check out the Farms and Fields project. The music is free and songs are all originals! Thank you! ~ Kim

[www].soundcloud[dot]com/farmsandfieldsmusic

Here is the Facebook page for all updates:

[www].facebook[dot]com/farmsandfieldsmusic

If you desire to contact me in person, feel free to: farmsandfieldsmusic@gmail[dot]com

Upvote 0