✟27,827.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hello!

I am a music-loving Calvinist. While I am very blessed by the hynms that are sung at my Reformed Baptist Church, I was wondering if anyone knows of any Reformed Baptist or Calvinistic music groups with some more modern music (you know, something that I can sing to while I wash dishes). Currently, I know of no such groups and would appreciated it ever so much if someone could help me out.

CoffeeSwirls

snaps back wash after wash...
Apr 17, 2004
Ankeny, Iowa
Visit site
✟8,437.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
http://www.reformedpraise.org/ may have some songs you would like. Jars of Clay is comprised of PCA members. There are other songs out there, but I wouldn't say that I'm an authority. I do have one CD called "Hymns: Ancient and Modern" that takes some great songs and modernizes them that I highly recommend. If you want something a bit edgy, Derek Webb has some good stuff as well.

Derek's musical style isn't edgy, by the way, but the lyrics are. In his album "She Must and Shall go Free" there is a song called "Wedding Dress." Webb has come under fire by some within the industry for his harsh language within the song, as the chorus repeatedly, though gently, uses the word “harlot” to describe the church. A little Bible Study will, of course, show that this is simply a Biblical term used many times to describe the church. I am so easily satisfied / By the call of lovers so less wild / That I would take a little cash / Over your very flesh and blood // Cause I am a harlot I do confess / I put you on just like a wedding dress / And I run down the aisle

Reactions: Proeliator
Upvote 0

Erinwilcox

Delighting in His Goodness
Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2005
Maryland
Visit site
✟27,827.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Thanks for the info. I checked out the website and enjoyed some of the music there.
As for the other song that you mentioned, I agree that the use of the word "harlot" is scriptural, however I do not know how comfortable I would be "singing along" to a song like that. Perhaps it is just a worry over what others might think, but not everyone would understand (at least at face value) why the word is used unless they asked (and how many people are really going to do that).

Upvote 0

AndOne

Deliver me oh Lord, from evil men
Apr 20, 2002
Florida
✟20,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Not sure if you like music with a bit of a harder edge - but if so - check out the group "Bean Bag." This is the only hard core/hard rock Christian group out there that I would consider "Calvinist." I absolutely love the song "Whiplash" which is about the eternal security of the believer. Lyrically - its rather simple, precise, and to the point - but you will not find this topic covered anywhere else in hard Christian music. They remind me a lot of "Rage Against The Machine" - the way they speak/sing with authority and precision. Musically they are a bit more talented than "Rage" - believe it or not. I'm not sure if these guys are around any more - if not it would be a shame....

Reactions: reformedfan
Upvote 0

FivePointCalvinist

Sep 20, 2005
Port Moody, BC
✟15,388.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
I could name a bunch. Jars of Clay are Reformed (check out their newest album, "Redemption Songs" - they've got a bunch of old hymns that they've revamped).

Also, check out Red Mountain Music (google it - I can't seem to be able to post a link) - the website of the music ministry from Red Mountain Church from Birmingham, AL, has some of William Gadsby's hymns that they've reworked, jazzed up, and put onto a CD.

Also, Indelible Grace is the touring band from Belmont University's Reformed University Fellowship group.

Upvote 0

CoffeeSwirls

snaps back wash after wash...
Apr 17, 2004
Ankeny, Iowa
Visit site
✟8,437.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I'll look into those as well, FPC. Just so you know, you will be able to put pictures and links in your posts after a certain number of regular posts. I can't remember the number, but it doesn't take too long. If you want it to speed up, you can always "cheat" by chatting with the Chrisbot. It's pretty brain numbing, to be sure.

http://www.christianforums.com/f111-chat-with-chrisbot.html

Upvote 0

Erinwilcox

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2005
Maryland
Visit site
✟27,827.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Thanks everyone for the great response! I can't wait to check out all of the great music! It is so difficult to find music that is doctrinally correct-I'd rather have the instrumental than listen to bad theology! I really appreciate all of the information!

Upvote 0

firenze

Apr 5, 2005
✟15,216.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Politics
US-Republican
FivePointCalvinist said:
I could name a bunch. Jars of Clay are Reformed (check out their newest album, "Redemption Songs" - they've got a bunch of old hymns that they've revamped).

Also, check out Red Mountain Music (google it - I can't seem to be able to post a link) - the website of the music ministry from Red Mountain Church from Birmingham, AL, has some of William Gadsby's hymns that they've reworked, jazzed up, and put onto a CD.

Also, Indelible Grace is the touring band from Belmont University's Reformed University Fellowship group.

One of my friends was asked to record some music for Red Mountain Music, I think. Pretty cool ;)

Also, I agree with the Derek Webb recommendation. She Must and Shall Go Free is very good. Also try Matthew Smith and Sandra McCracken.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

frumanchu

God's justice does not demand second chances
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2003
Ohio
✟62,780.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
CoffeeSwirls said:
http://www.reformedpraise.org/ may have some songs you would like. Jars of Clay is comprised of PCA members. There are other songs out there, but I wouldn't say that I'm an authority. I do have one CD called "Hymns: Ancient and Modern" that takes some great songs and modernizes them that I highly recommend. If you want something a bit edgy, Derek Webb has some good stuff as well.

Derek's musical style isn't edgy, by the way, but the lyrics are. In his album "She Must and Shall go Free" there is a song called "Wedding Dress." Webb has come under fire by some within the industry for his harsh language within the song, as the chorus repeatedly, though gently, uses the word “harlot” to describe the church. A little Bible Study will, of course, show that this is simply a Biblical term used many times to describe the church. I am so easily satisfied / By the call of lovers so less wild / That I would take a little cash / Over your very flesh and blood // Cause I am a harlot I do confess / I put you on just like a wedding dress / And I run down the aisle

I still haven't gotten around to picking up Derek's album, but I'm a huge Caedmon's Call fan. Many of their songs have a Reformed undertone to them. Not sure how much of that was due to Derek and how much comes from the other members. Any time somebody mentions the word "Reformed" and "music" in the same sentence the song "Prove Me Wrong" from the Long Line of Leavers album comes to mind, particularly the first verse:

Sometimes I fear maybe I'm not chosen,
You've hardened my heart like Pharaoh,
And that would explain why life is so hard for me.
And I am sad Esau, hated,
Crying against what's fated
Saying, "Father, please is there any left for me?"
IIRC, rnmomof7 told me the group Salvador is also Reformed.

Upvote 0

Erinwilcox

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2005
Maryland
Visit site
✟27,827.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I've recently found that FFH seems to have some Reformed theology in them.

Their new song, Worth it All, sounds like election:

“Don’t be afraid, I’ve redeemed you. I’ve called your name. You’re mine. When you are in over your head, I’ll be there with you. When you’re in rough waters, you will not go down. When you’re between a rock and a hard place, it won’t be a dead end—Because I am God, your personal God, the Holy of Israel, your Savior. I paid a huge price for you. . .That’s how much you mean to me! That’s how much I love you! I’d sell off the whole world to get you back, trade the creation just for you.” (Isaiah 43:1-4)

O Child, you’ve never known
How I really feel
Cause you’ve never been shown
O child, you’ve never known
That my love is real
Cause you’ve never been shown
I’m about to show you for myself
So listen baby,
You don’t need nobody else - cause

You are mine, you are loved
You have always been thought of
When you hurt I feel it every time
You are mine, you are loved
And I’m never giving up
Till I’ve dried all the tears you cry
Long before you took a breath
I took your pain upon my chest
I knew your name, I heard you call
It was worth it all
It was worth it all
You are worth it all

O child, it wasn’t fair
How they walked away
Left you standing there
O child, I saw your tears
Was with you everyday
Through the lonely years
I’m about to bring back what was lost
So listen baby,
You don’t need nobody else - cause

Bridge
No matter where you go I’ll come and find you
You are precious to me…My everything
No matter what they’ve done I will repair you
You’re a masterpiece to me…Only I can see
That underneath the hurt and the pain
Is a picture of me

O Child, where did you go
Please don’t walk away
I love you so
So here I come to say

But my favorite song from them, You Found Me, sounds sort of like Irresistible Grace

I’ve got nowhere to turn
I’ve got nowhere to hide
And I’ve got no alibis
You’ve been following me
You know my history
And no matter how hard I try
I can’t explain away
The way I feel today
There’s only one thing I can say

You, You found me
You found me and You called me from the wilderness
From my cave of emptiness
You, You found me
You found me in the places of my loneliness
You told me there is more than this
You captured me with tenderness
You found me

There were so many days
Trying to figure out ways
To explain what I feel inside
I tried to fill up my soul
Without losing control
This desire never did subside
I’m ready to give in
I know I’ll never win
The hide and seek I’ve been in
In the pit of despair, I was all alone there
I wasn’t looking for You
But You found me anyway
You put Your hand on my face
Then You changed my name
Nothing can separate me from You

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

frumanchu

God's justice does not demand second chances
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2003
Ohio
✟62,780.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Erinwilcox said:
I've recently found that FFH seems to have some Reformed theology in them.

You catch the occasional hint of it. I haven't listened to them much lately The last album of theirs that I got was entirely to bubble gum for me. They almost seemed to have regressed musically, at least for awhile.

I rarely listen to CCM anymore.

Upvote 0

Erinwilcox

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2005
Maryland
Visit site
✟27,827.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
frumanchu said:
You catch the occasional hint of it. I haven't listened to them much lately The last album of theirs that I got was entirely to bubble gum for me. They almost seemed to have regressed musically, at least for awhile.

I rarely listen to CCM anymore.

Well. . .I only hear them on the radio, so I guess I've only heard some of the better ones. Something that I think that you'd probably enjoy (I know that I love it) is the CD "Hear My Prayer," with Mathew Burtner. It is an instrumental collection of solid hymns. The music is beautiful and soothing. There are no vocals, but you know that the words to the hynms are solid.

Upvote 0

erin74

Ministry is about people not structures.
Feb 8, 2005
rural australia
✟26,267.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The music that our anglican/reformed diocese uses the most is this:
http://emu.mu/
The congregational stuff is great, and good to listen to - well as a 30ish year old it is - hopefully not too daggy for the younger set. If so try the garage hymnal.
Check out their gospel according to groove if you like jazz - the track 'freedom' is a great sermonette to music.

also Stuart Townend is excellent (very lilting irish stuff). I think some of the Emu CD's has his stuff too.

Ruth Buchanan is a friend of ours who has re-written the music to some great old hymns and some of her own stuff.
http://www.ruthbuchanan.com/
check out Rock of Ages of the album "songs for the wealthy beggar" - it is fantastic

Upvote 0