Califormia
✟134,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
You can't go around saying "God doesn't need your help or your permission, He is God" and not expect people to become upset. Jesus said it and look at what people did to him. Paul said it, and look how he was treated. Calvin had to see it coming. :)
Believers have their part to play per the Great Commission - seems that that should be more of a focus than making contradicting assertions like "God doesn't need your help".

Paul relates believers to being the "Body of Christ".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Believers have their part to play per the Great Commission - seems that that should be more of a focus than making contradicting assertions like "God doesn't need your help".

Paul relates believers to being the "Body of Christ".
Not sure why you chose to respond to MY post with your comment, since the post was clearly humor given the statement that it was responding to.

I agree that "Believers have their part to play per the Great Commission". However, if we want to get real, NOBODY posts on a Christian Forum to "fulfill the Great Commission" ... this is not a WWJD activity. At the very best, it is an occasional "iron sharpening iron" moment, but far more often it is an opportunity to engage in "foolish debates, genealogies, quarrels, and disputes about the law, [which] are unprofitable and worthless" (Titus 3:9).

Of course, like any good Pharisee, we all have far too high an opinion of ourselves to ever admit that particular truth.

Upvote 0

John Mullally

Aug 5, 2020
Califormia
✟134,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
You can't go around saying "God doesn't need your help or your permission, He is God" and not expect people to become upset. Jesus said it and look at what people did to him. Paul said it, and look how he was treated. Calvin had to see it coming. :)
Not sure why you chose to respond to MY post with your comment, since the post was clearly humor given the statement that it was responding to.
Jesus and Paul did not say anything like "God doesn't need your help or your permission, He is God". Matt 18:18-19 is especially incongruent with that. Statements like that detract from many directives in the NT.

Matt 18:18 I tell you the truth, whatever you forbid on earth will be forbidden in heaven, and whatever you permit on earth will be permitted in heaven. 19 I also tell you this: If two of you agree here on earth concerning anything you ask, my Father in heaven will do it for you. 20 For where two or three gather together as my followers, I am there among them. NLT​

Upvote 0

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus and Paul did not say anything like "God doesn't need your help or your permission, He is God". Matt 18:18-19 is especially incongruent with that. Statements like that detract from many directives in the NT.

Matt 18:18 I tell you the truth, whatever you forbid on earth will be forbidden in heaven, and whatever you permit on earth will be permitted in heaven. 19 I also tell you this: If two of you agree here on earth concerning anything you ask, my Father in heaven will do it for you. 20 For where two or three gather together as my followers, I am there among them. NLT​
Oh, you are Semi-Pellagian and think God needs your help to save you … that explains a lot. Read Romans 9 and tell me God needs your help. Read John 10 and tell me that God needs your help. Sorry, I have no inclination to waste time arguing over nonsense.

Upvote 0

John Mullally

Aug 5, 2020
Califormia
✟134,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Read Romans 9 and tell me God needs your help. Read John 10 and tell me that God needs your help. Sorry, I have no inclination to waste time arguing over nonsense.
Theoretically God does not need anything. But He has chosen to partner with His Church, which Paul terms "the body of Christ". John 10 and Romans 9 do not contradict that. Here is more from Paul on that partnership.

1 Cor 3:6 I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the increase. 7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase. 8 Now he who plants and he who waters are one, and each one will receive his own reward according to his own labor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Theoretically God does not need anything. But He has chosen to partner with His Church, which Paul terms "the body of Christ". John 10 and Romans 9 do not contradict that. Here is more from Paul on that partnership.

1 Cor 3:6 I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the increase. 7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase. 8 Now he who plants and he who waters are one, and each one will receive his own reward according to his own labor.
I claim that "God does not requires help from the sinner to save them".
You claim "God chooses to use the saved to spread his word".

How does YOUR CLAIM refute (or have anything at all to do with) MY CLAIM?

Upvote 0

John Mullally

Aug 5, 2020
Califormia
✟134,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I claim that "God does not requires help from the sinner to save them".
You claim "God chooses to use the saved to spread his word".

How does YOUR CLAIM refute (or have anything at all to do with) MY CLAIM?
I refute your vague claim that Jesus and Paul said "God doesn't need your help or your permission, He is God" as you stated below. I argued that that point is refuted by God partnering with His Church (I assume your includes believers as it is not qualified and you are posting on christianforums).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I refute your vague claim that Jesus and Paul said "God doesn't need your help or your permission, He is God" as you stated below. I argued that that point is refuted by God partnering with His Church (I assume your includes believers as it is not qualified and you are posting on christianforums).
The whole topic (and the post that I quoted and was responding to) is/was all about CALVINISM. Do you have a clue what Calvinists believe and teach? Do you have a clue that it is all about SOTERIOLOGY? This whole topic is about people getting saved and how it happens.

I have wasted too much time on your nonsense.

Get back to me when you have something to say about the actual subject that everyone except you is discussing.

Upvote 0

John Mullally

Aug 5, 2020
Califormia
✟134,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The whole topic (and the post that I quoted and was responding to) is/was all about CALVINISM. Do you have a clue what Calvinists believe and teach? Do you have a clue that it is all about SOTERIOLOGY? This whole topic is about people getting saved and how it happens.

I have wasted too much time on your nonsense.

Get back to me when you have something to say about the actual subject that everyone except you is discussing.

You can't just accuse me of nonsense for refuting your non-biblical post (below) that you will not defend and then demand that I move on to another topic.
You say that Jesus and Paul said "God doesn't need your help or your permission, He is God". Time to get your concordance out and use it to confirm or deny Jesus and Paul said anything close to that! Let me know what you find.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
and then demand that I move on to another topic.
Point of clarification: I “demanded” that you move back to the subject of THIS TOPIC.

You say that Jesus and Paul said "God doesn't need your help or your permission, He is God". Time to get your concordance out and use it to confirm or deny Jesus and Paul said anything close to that! Let me know what you find.
Gladly, but not by continuing to thread crap on this topic.
Start a new topic and ask me and I will bury you in scriptures that you will ignore.

This topic is about SOTERIOLOGY since it is about Calvinism and the ECF/writers … that makes the subject “God saving people”. Your inability to understand what THIS topic is about does not obligate me to follow you down YOUR rabbit holes.

• If you believe that God needs your help to save you, that is your issue.

• If you believe that God needs your permission to save you, then that is your issue.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cormack

“I bet you're a real hulk on the internet...”
Apr 21, 2020
London
✟94,797.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Pollard shared. . .

This topic is about SOTERIOLOGY since it is about Calvinism and the ECF/writers … that makes the subject “God saving people”.

John asked in reply. . .

You say that Jesus and Paul said "God doesn't need your help or your permission He is God". Time to get your concordance out and use it to confirm or deny Jesus and Paul said anything close to that! Let me know what you find.

It’s an objection to do with your soteriological claim placed on the lips of the apostle Paul and Jesus Christ, @atpollard.

It’s related to certain soteriological assertions and whether or not they’re present in the scriptures. Whether or not the discussion is fruitless depends on you too, sir.

Paul said it, and look how he was treated. Calvin had to see it coming. :)

Paul was violently persecuted in his own lifetime, being stoned, whipped, imprisoned and ultimately murdered, I’m not sure the kind of internet ribbing that Calvin goes through can compare.

Not to mention that John Calvin seemed like something of a bully in his own day and age, not the victim. He sided with an order to behead others, enforced religious rituals and rites upon people, overseen absurd prohibitions like outlawing dance and was involved in the burning of someone at the stake.

If John Calvin seems like any version of Paul, it would be pre regenerate, non Christian Saul. I’d enjoy and read any poster who wanted to argue for a gentler portrait of Calvin though.

• Informative
Reactions: John Mullally
Upvote 0

John Mullally

Aug 5, 2020
Califormia
✟134,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Gladly, but not by continuing to thread crap on this topic.
Start a new topic and ask me and I will bury you in scriptures that you will ignore.

This topic is about SOTERIOLOGY since it is about Calvinism and the ECF/writers … that makes the subject “God saving people”. Your inability to understand what THIS topic is about does not obligate me to follow you down YOUR rabbit holes.

• If you believe that God needs your help to save you, that is your issue.

• If you believe that God needs your permission to save you, then that is your issue.
I have repeatedly called out your bluff on Post #20 and you have dodged with labels and insults. If there is a rabbit hole - YOU introduced it. Chief among the many things I disagree with in that post is your easily falsifiable claim that Jesus and Paul state "God doesn't need your help or your permission, He is God". Its premature to declare others have issues because they don't agree with you when you refuse to defend your own assertions on this thread (i.e. Post #20)! I don't have to start a new thread to point that out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have repeatedly called out your bluff on Post #20 and you have dodged with labels and insults.
You called me out in post #41 and I responded with an explanation in post #42. Everything after that is your disliking my answer and trolling me for a fight.

I am finished responding to you. Your question was asked and answered.

Upvote 0

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It’s an objection to do with your soteriological claim placed on the lips of the apostle Paul and Jesus Christ, @atpollard.
Sadly, it is not. Soteriology was addressed and rejected in a previous post in the conversation. It is a trolling of a humorous response to a post about “poor Calvin not being allowed to Rest In Peace” that wants to rehash the C v. A debate (as if there has not been enough ink spilled on that topic.) Do you really want me to start to defend Calvinism on this topic? I don’t.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

John Mullally

Aug 5, 2020
Califormia
✟134,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
You called me out in post #41 and I responded with an explanation in post #42. Everything after that is your disliking my answer and trolling me for a fight.

I am finished responding to you. Your question was asked and answered.
Post #42 was a lot of snark. It was not clear to me as being a retraction of what you stated in Post #20.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cormack

Apr 21, 2020
London
✟94,797.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
It is a trolling of a humorous response to a post about “poor Calvin not being allowed to Rest In Peace” that wants to rehash the C v. A debate (as if there has not been enough ink spilled on that topic.)

C v. A debate? Whole words would be appreciated rather than code, just for the sake of clarity. If it’s Calvinism versus Arminianism, that’s not the topic and there are many different non Calvinistic perspectives (though Calvinists prefer the C v. A dichotomy.)

Most non Calvinist posters on the forum have never read from Arminius and couldn’t begin to teach you what Arminianism means.

I for one am not an Arminian and neither is John, not so far as I’m aware. At least from my point of view, Arminius was too deep into Augustinian theology and employed ideas like prevenient grace in order to remove an issue man simply doesn’t have (i.e. an inability to respond to Gods own calls to be reconciled.)

Point being there’s more than just the boring Calvinism v. Arminianism dispute going on nowadays, insisting on the two categories as if the field is no wider doesn’t do much for the fruitful conversation. Calvinists have a cultural habit of insisting upon C vs. A rather than engaging with the actual points of contention.

Soteriology was addressed and rejected in a previous post in the conversation.

Which number post was that? Because I don’t think John would agree with you that soteriology has been rejected on his side or mine.

Do you really want me to start to defend Calvinism on this topic? I don’t.

You don’t have to, it’s your choice and if you’re not interested it’s best you don’t reply. Right? Surely the least fruitful thing would be for you to continue posting about how fruitless everything seems to be, instead of saving your pearls from the swine who don’t know how to appreciate them.

My thought on conflict however is that it often takes two to create fruitless and disharmonious conversation, so you could try and engage with Johns point of contention, maybe sharpening your own iron or risk edifying others in the process, because so far accusing others of trolling and insisting the whole thing is fruitless is the most fruitless thing people can do.

Lots of your points so far appear to be Calvinistic culture talking points.

Upvote 0

Cormack

Apr 21, 2020
London
✟94,797.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
It is a trolling of a humorous response to a post about “poor Calvin not being allowed to Rest In Peace” that wants to rehash the C v. A debate (as if there has not been enough ink spilled on that topic.)

Do you still feel it’s wise to compare John Calvins lot in life to the persecution that Paul the apostle suffered?

Fifty eight people were executed during the first five years of Calvins Geneva leadership, that’s not the sort of track record that being internet flamed can expunge. John Calvin wasn’t a Pauline figure in history, he was tyrannical (to say the least.)

Paul wrote about not holding feast days over each other and about no foods being unclean in themselves, while John Calvin forced people to attend religious services and wanted to decide whether or not people had too much food on their plates.

Replies at the level of “leave Britney alone!!!” seem beneath Christians when we hear about Calvins unchristian conduct.

• Informative
Upvote 0

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The topic is …

Calvinism doesn't exist in early christian writers till Augustine

… and I have said what little I had to say on that topic in post #17. Post 20 was humor in response to a quoted post and everything after has been off-topic and unprofitable, so I leave the rest of you to discuss it (or me) without me.

Bye.

Upvote 0