• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Calvinism doesn't exist in early christian writers till Augustine

Discussion in 'Patristics' started by Jesusthekingofking, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Jesusthekingofking

Jesusthekingofking Member

+54
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    does the early church fathers teach Calvinism?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. alllivesmatter

alllivesmatter ta da,EL ROI

+586
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    US-Republican
    You mean EXIST in your title?

3. Cormack

Cormack Member

+111
    United Kingdom
    Baptist
    In Relationship
    They did not teach Calvinism, even many noteworthy reformed theologians agree that the nearest thing to Calvin’s theology was first taught by Augustine. Reformed theologian Loraine Boettner wrote that Augustine “the spirit filled theologian of the west” was “the first to see” a Calvinistic (or deterministic) style of religion in the church.

Before this time, at least according to the American theologian Loraine, the early church taught a kind of cooperative synergism between man choosing to repent and God choosing to forgive and save the repentant sinner.

If there’s anyone reading who’s still undecided and they’d like some great resources explaining the case against Calvinism, there’s Steve Gregg, Leighton Flowers, Dr. William Lane Craig, Jerry Walls.

While the case for Calvinism is widely known and expounded by famous teachers like Chris Date, Matt Slick, John Piper, A. W. Pink, James White, GotQuestions (they’re 4 pointers,) John MacArthur. Loads of well known popular speakers in fact.

4. SkyWriting

SkyWriting The Librarian Supporter

+6,748
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Ah. That's what I've been trying to tell people for years. They are two sides to the same coin.

5. Andrewn

Andrewn Well-Known Member CF Ambassadors Supporter

+1,430
    Canada
    Anglican
    Married
    Calvinistic predestination hijacked a large portion of the ReformationIt's a damaging view of God and of the world, perhaps worse than most heresies.

6. Cormack

Cormack Member

+111
    United Kingdom
    Baptist
    In Relationship
    Now you could quote Loraine Boettner, just throw up your hands and say “hey, it’s not just me saying it, Calvinists and reformed theologians think so too!”

Conflating mans choice to repent and believe with Gods choice to forgive and save is a common misunderstanding. When people make that mistake they’ll often say “you believe man has the power to save himself???” Etc etc.

Still, that’s not the point, the point is that man can respond in faith to God when He graciously makes the offer of salvation to all people.

Dr. Jerry Walls has two incredible lectures on this.

Sorry @Jesusthekingofking if this ^^ slightly hijacks your topic.

7. Jesusthekingofking

+54
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Biblical predestination in eph 1 means God before time save the elect in Christ. On the other hand I often heard calvinist say God degree some for salvation and some for damnation.

8. Jesusthekingofking

+54
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I have to watch the entire thing? Can you summarize in words?

9. Cormack

Cormack Member

+111
    United Kingdom
    Baptist
    In Relationship
    I could. Dr. Walls is a great speaker so listening is actually a lot of fun, still, the main theme of the talk is that Calvinists are using Christian language but they have a private Calvinistic meaning hidden behind many of the Christian words.

Predestination, sovereignty, even love, Calvinists will use these words but won’t always explain what they mean, they’re benefiting on the fact that the questioner doesn’t understand the Calvinists private use of the word.

The questioner hears a Calvinist say “God loves sinners,” and they believe in our shared understanding of what love means, but that’s not the way that the Calvinist is using the word love, he has a second meaning to the word love that he won’t always share. A Calvinist can use “love” and mean temporal blessing.

In this way Calvinists gather many people to their church who don’t fully understand or believe in Calvinism.

10. SkyWriting

SkyWriting The Librarian Supporter

+6,748
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
  11. Cormack

Cormack Member

+111
    United Kingdom
    Baptist
    In Relationship
    ^^^^ Just as an interesting side note, I recently listened to 5 point Calvinist Dr. James White reply to Jerry Walls above lecture (write me for a link if you’re having trouble finding that.)

About Calvinists misusing terms and misleading audiences James replied by blaming the audience, in essence he replied it’s not our fault you people don’t understand our use of words, you should educate yourselves.

Why an audience who are eager to learn would have to foreknow a Calvinists idiosyncratic misuse of words like love is anybody’s guess.

As much as I’ve benefitted from James books (e.g. The forgotten Trinity, What every Christian needs to know about Islam) my impression of James rebuttal video was that it’s almost like how a conman blames his victims for being swindled, “if they had more of an education this wouldn’t have happened. Serves them right. They were asking for it. They’ll know better next time.”

On topic: I’m of the opinion that Augustine (like James White, John Calvin and other Calvinists) misappropriated an entire arsenal of Biblical vocabulary to argue for an unbiblical viewpoint regarding God, man, salvation and free will (“free will” being another term Calvinists use but don’t believe in by the commonplace understanding.)

In short early Christians didn’t teach Calvinism.

12. Jesusthekingofking

+54
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    really? can a calvinist says 'God love mankind'? sometime they are so defensive and stuck in their system they neglect the simple truth.

13. Cormack

Cormack Member

+111
    United Kingdom
    Baptist
    In Relationship
    A Calvinist could say God “loves mankind,” but that love is a general thing, he “loves us all” (in their opinion) because he provides rain, food and holds back the evil in our hearts. He gives all of mankind a small taste of the joys of this life, but he doesn’t give his Son for all of mankind.

He gives people rain and crops and the joys of friendship, but not Jesus. Under Calvinism Jesus’ sacrifice isn’t for the world, it is for a special group only.

If you believe Jesus died for the world, then you can’t be a 5 point Calvinist.

“Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.” Not every Calvinist will understand that verse in the same way, but many will say hate means hate and God hated Esau.

God hates sinners and he didn’t elect many of them to salvation, furthermore it’s his prerogative if he “passes over” the unelected, damning them forever.

I believe Calvinism misses the heart of the gospel by making God into the Levite or the Pharisee, passing over the robbed and wounded man dying by the roadside.

Calvinists will reply “he’s God and he does whatever he pleases.” So our next question should be then what pleases Him?

Ezekiel 18:23 Do I take any pleasure in the death of the wicked? declares the Sovereign LORD. Rather, am I not pleased when they turn from their ways and live?