Southeast Michigan
✟20,508.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Daddy, I love you and thank You for all that You have done for
me even though I deserve nothing from You and yet You have adopted
me and made me Your very own son through Christ.

I am not ashamed to call You my Daddy as You have done all and more than any
loving earthy Father could do to ensure that my future is assured and that I will be
with You forever as Your very own child...thanks Dad....

Romans 8:15
The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.”
Galatians 4:6
Because you are his sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, “Abba, Father.”

(vomit bags are available from the stewardess)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HisSparkPlug

Offspring of a Genius
Jul 31, 2013
✟2,947.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I don't get it. Why do people refer to God as "daddy" or "dad"? This seems beyond weird to me. I attended a church for a few months and they all referred to The Lord as daddy, papa or dad. It's not that I find it irreverent or anything, it just turns my stomach when I hear it. How does a person get to this intimacy with The Lord where one calls God daddy?
It is scriptural. Usually those who use these terms of endearment have an intimate relationship with the Lord. I call Him all of those things and it is not for anyone to judge who is worthy to speak to Him in this manner. Those of us who belong to Yeshua Ha-mashiach have the right as well as equal opportunity to have such an intimate relationship with Daddy, unless they don't want one. Another reason people don't chase a close relationship with Him is b/c they simply don't believe they can. It is imperative we be close to Him in this way - The bride of Christ needs to be close to their God intimately.

ABBA = Aramaic/Hebrew for "father" or "Daddy"

The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.” - Rom 8:15

Talk to Him like He's your Dad or your friend. Unless you prefer to be a servant.. servants are not permitted to be that close to Him. Myself, I want to be a friend of God.

“No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you.” John 15:15

Upvote 0

asiyreh

God is salvation
Mar 14, 2012
Ireland
✟9,457.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The following blog seems to disagree.

Aramaic Father's Day Discussion
It is traditional that I bring up the common myth that the Aramaic word "abba" means "daddy" around this time of year, but I must admit that this is the first year in a long time that sightings of that anecdote among the blogs are few. (So either, there isn't as much interest this year, or people are actually doing their research. :) )

So, for those of you who aren't familiar with this particular meme, it is common to find around the Internet and in sermons throughout the world that where Jesus is recorded in the New Testament to use the Aramaic word "abba" that the term was an informal word, the likes a child would refer to their pop (i.e. "dad" or "daddy").

This stemmed from an idea that was originally proposed by a scholar named Joachim Jeremias (b1900-d1979); mainly, that the form "abba" originated from "child-babble." The connection between "abba" and "daddy" was then popularized by his following.

However, this idea was immediately challenged by a number of other scholars, such as James Barr who published an article entitled "Abba Isn't 'Daddy'" (in the Journal of Theological Studies) which outlined the numerous problems with such an assertion and addressed them in detail.

Overall, I believe that Mary Rose D'Angelo summed up what happened next nicely:

"Jeremias began almost at once to retreat from the claim that "abba" had the same connotations as "daddy." In a sense, Barr's title (but only his title) misrepresents Jeremias. Even as Jeremias acknowledged that the word was in common use by adults and was used as a mark of repect for old men and for teachers, he continued to stress the origins in babytalk and the consequent intimacy as a special component of Jesus' use of the word. This meaning seems to have been the basis on which he regarded Jesus' use as absolutely distinct from the Judaism of his time.

The NT itself gives quite a different reading of αββα. Each of the three occurrences of αββα in the NT is followed by the Greek translation ο πατερ, "the father." This translation makes clear its meaning to the writers; the form is a literal translation -- "father" plus a definite article -- and like abba can also be a vocative. But it is not a diminutive of "babytalk" form. There are Greek diminutives of father (e.g., παππας [pappas]), and the community chose not to use them.

--Mary Rose D'Angelo. Journal of Biblical Literature, Vol. 111, No. 4 (Winter, 1992), pp. 615-616

And beyond this, many years after Jeremias' death, modern linguistic study of how children pick up speech has completely discounted his conclusions of abba as "babytalk."

But...

There is still a point of confusion: In Modern Hebrew, "abba" has become commonly used as... You guessed it: "Daddy." So, when a Hebrew speaker happens upon this anecdote, to them it makes "perfect sense." :)

The myth survives.

Nevertheless, happy Father's Day to all of the pas, fathers, pops, dads, papas and daddies out there, wherever you are!

Peace,
-Steve

Taken from - (The Aramaic Blog: Abba Isn't Daddy - The Traditional Aramaic Father's Day Discussion)

Reactions: parsley
Upvote 0

quietpraiyze

In The Secret Place
Nov 18, 2011
✟93,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I actually do call God 'Daddy' sometimes. I fully understand why some Christians aren't comfortable with that- and that's fair enough if it does these things FOR THEM.
It doesn't for me.

Those who have had a male parent and called him daddy- did it mean that because you didn't use the title 'Father' that you respected him less, or that it took away from his authority as your Father? I find it odd when I watch American TV shows to find that so many adult women call their father 'daddy', as it's not really done here (it's regarded as a very 'upper class' thing to do) I'm pretty sure that those woman have a great deal of respect for their fathers.

Of course it's an intimate endearment, title or whatever you want to call it. Which is why I use it. It's a very personal thing and I wouldn't use it in any situation than private prayer. Again, I understand that it's a little too informal for some- but I find it odd that people who would strongly object to it, are ok using the term 'Father'. It's only a more formal version, after all. If we're worrying about bringing God down to our level- you can't 'humanise' Him much more than calling Him Father! We proclaim an intimacy that's astonishing when we do that- we're basically bringing the Creator of the universe, the most Holy being of all- our Lord.... right down to the most intimate child-parent level. It's a darn good job that the Bible makes it clear that it's not just ok- but exactly right to call God Almighty 'father'- because if we did it off our own back that'd be some cosmic gall, wouldn't it????

I personally look on it as one of those things that if a Christian is fine with it, they have the freedom to do so- but if another is uncomfortable with it, then it's fine for them not to do so. I have no right to call a Christian .. I don't know.. repressed (or some silly term) because they'd prefer not to use the name 'Daddy' and they don't have the right to imply that I am 'bringing God down' to any sort of lower level or don't have a very deep respect an awe for Him because I sometimes do.

I have deep reverence for God and deep understanding of His holiness and I always feel very sad when it's immediately assumed that to refer to God as 'Daddy' at all must be taking something away from His holiness and that those who use the term are not as respectful as those who don't. We're perfectly capable of seeing God as an intimate parent and a Holy, awesome God (and I mean 'awesome' in it's proper meaning- not the slang for fantastic/ cool/ etc)

I know I've waffled on- but I'd like to just say one last thing- and that's that for some people, relating to God with that sort of intimacy may not be necessary- for some of us, it's a precious thing. I didn't have the best view of Fathers per se in my youth. My Grandfather was the nearest I had- but actual Fathers- nope. For me the term 'Father' for God meant something- but because of the slight formality of it- and because it seemed to have got dulled down to a 'title for God' rather than the astonishing relationship it was meant to be, as far as many were concerned, it didn't really hit me until, during a very hard time in my younger life.I was praying alone and broke down and sobbed, calling out to God like a child- and I called Him 'Daddy'- because that's how I was coming to Him- as a helpless child needing her parent and abandoning myself totally to Him- with complete trust, with complete need, admitting that I couldn't do things under my own steam and it was an expression of love, reliance and total faith in Him- far from being something that trivialised God- it was something that let me move into a deeper and even more respectful relationship with Him- because I fnally knew what it was to be a daughter of God. For someone with no actual father and a step-father who rejected me- finding that intimacy with God has been so special and meaningful.

I have to say that I don't call God 'Daddy' as a matter of course. I don't pop it into every prayer- it's usually when I come to Him in times of recognising my helplessness and when I just need Him- like a child needs her Daddy. The vast majority of the time, I don't call Him that. I'd only ever use it privately- because it is intimate and I'm not thrilled about being written off not being respectful enough and because I acknowledge that some are not comfortable with it, so I wouldn't do that to them.

Thank you for saying this. :)

Upvote 0

HisSparkPlug

Offspring of a Genius
Jul 31, 2013
✟2,947.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Daddy, I love you and thank You for all that You have done for
me even though I deserve nothing from You and yet You have adopted
me and made me Your very own son through Christ.
I am not ashamed to call You my Daddy as You have done all and more than any
loving earthy Father could do to ensure that my future is assured and that I will be
with You forever as Your very own child...thanks Dad....

(vomit bags are available from the stewardess)

Love it!
I use the vomit bags to deliver knicknacks to friends - They're also great for packing lunches in.. ha!

Upvote 0

Angelfrog

Rock, paper, JESUS! I win!
Oct 22, 2009
Sitting on a cloud in England.
✟9,863.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, I'll explain this best as I can as far as why in part it turns my stomach. People who I barely know and who with I probably won't be intimate friends or with even casual friends with but just happen go to the same church AND refer to God as "daddy" to me as if they are implying we are all brothers and sisters in the Lord...but those same people actually don't even know or care to know my last name...and they aren't interested in being a "brother" or "sister"; they just enjoy referring to God as Daddy and talking to me about it as if I'm part of a family. This bothers me a lot. I don't get it. None of my close true friends call God Daddy in front of me thankfully. Well one does but I ignore it and focus on dust falling until the squeamish feeling passes.

Is it more that it's the people using the term in a way that squicks you out, rather than an actual 'problem' with God being addressed as 'daddy' at all?

I mean- in my case, for example, as I said- I only use the term privately. Would that be different to you, as it isn't being 'shoved down your throat', so to speak, or would you still find the idea nauseating, even though you'd never hear me use it?
(I have zero intention of battle stations- I'm just curious :) If it does make you want hurl, fair enough.)

What you mention- I can kind of see what you mean. I think that happens in a lot of ways- not just how Christians refer to God. Some Christians are automatically 'Brady- Bunch' Christians and some are 'Ok, we're God's children- but that doesn't mean you get to act like my BFF, move in to our 'spiritual' house together and stay up plaiting my hair all night while making friendship bracelets'

I'm more in the second camp. I don't like forced relationships or situations where they should be allowed to develop naturally (if they do) I think I'm allergic to Christians who use certain aspects of Christianity to manipulate a closeness or 'proof' of spirituality- whether it's done by using certain terms, trying to look for 'evidence' of your own spirituality or whatever.

Not quite the same thing- but I was in a women's meeting that I sometimes went to- not my own church but I had friends there. I ended up one day praying with a woman who I was nodding acquaintance with- we didn't really know each other. The 'how' we ended up praying together isn't relevant- but she started praying in tongues- then paused. I carried on praying quietly. She prayed in tongues a bit louder- and paused- looking at me. This went on for a while- and it was very obvious that she was waiting for me to pray in tongues as well. the fact that I prayed in English seemed to frustrate her.
Whether I can/ do or can't/ don't is not the point in my opinion. I was annoyed at the fact that she was more concerned with 'proving' something than what we were praying about. I've no idea why it was a big deal to her. I don't know if she had some twisted idea that she had to check out my 'credentials' as a Christian, or if she was looking for proof that we were 'the same', or if she needed her own sprituality validated in some way. Frankly, I didn't care. I refused to be manipulated and, whether I'm capable of quoting Shakespeare in tongues or not, nothing in the world would have prompted me to pray in any way other than silently or in English!

After the prayer time was over, she looked at me and said 'Do you ever pray in the spirit? It's important'
I just said 'Is there any other way of praying?' and left it at that. Talk about a grim look!

But- all that off topic rambling aside- I don't like that sort of attitude you mean, znr- and I think if I was listening to a group of Christians whose use of 'Daddy' was aimed more at those hearing it than as a deep personal intimacy with God- then, yeah- that'd tick me off, too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ezeric

HE loves me too.
Mar 2, 2010
Canada but really in JESUS! (in HIS Covenant)
Visit site
✟12,835.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok, not to derail the thread, so I am happy to start a new one, but I was ministering to a girl that was abused by her (father), and when she was shaking and needing prayer and ongoing support (of course), she in NO WAY, could call on GOD as "FATHER"....

So, being led in LOVE, trying to get her to understand she has a 'PARENT' that loves her.
I asked if she "had a mother that loved her?"

And she answered "yes!"

So, we then said you have a PARENT called GOD, but 'SHE' (like a mother) loves you can you pray to her like that?

She did, and found salvation and started to rebound and grow...

GOD is SPIRIT.
This is not about gender but about closeness.

Also one time I was leading a Jewish Rabbi to a relationship with YESHUA.
HE had a hard time calling HIM - JESUS - but YESHUA was ok.
but then in prayer, it was only prayed 'Dear GOD'..couldn't say 'FATHER' either.

So, I asked the LORD, 'how do I minister to this Jewish Rabbi about you, and he is getting 'hung up' on the names, and now can't get close to you?'

The LORD spoke to me (DADDY spoke) "Do you think I AM insecure?"

Is your GOD insecure?

I then told him that (explained it to him), and now he calls him 'ABBA' - DADDY.

There are also, both masculine and feminine words used for GOD in the Bible, but that is for another topic too.

Sorry Znr, not trying to go off topic. You've always impressed me that you are not afraid to be 'real' and there is no pretense about you as you are honest before us here and before your and my GOD.

Thank-you...

-eric

Reactions: parsley
Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think my aversion to the use of such informalities as "Daddy" stems both from my own personal conviction that I shouldn't approach God with casual informality (like, "Hey bro, was up?") and from the fact that I was abused as a child and to this day have never had a good relationship with my own dad. I cannot say the word "Dad" or "Daddy" and experience the slightest shred of a warm, fuzzy feeling. It does not bring up a feeling of safety, security, comfort, respect, admiration, trust. Therefore, calling God "Daddy" is absolutely and utterly bizarre and uncomfortable for me. Perhaps, since I never called my own dad "Father"... that term is easier for me to use. Plus the fact that it's more respectful and reverent. It does not detract from the feeling of intimate communion one bit. There's a difference between intimacy and informality.

I don't pretend that this all makes sense, so just bear with me :)

Upvote 0

Angelfrog

Oct 22, 2009
✟9,863.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think you make the point perfectly, Inkachu- in that for many people it reflects on one's own personal experience and what those terms mean to them.

You had a horrific experience of what a 'Dad' or 'Daddy' is- and that leaves a nasty after taste around the name/ word. whatever. You find it easier to use 'Father' as it wasn't a term you used for your dad. What you say about how you feel makes complete sense.

For me, I didn't have an experience like that- it was more about rejection - and I never called anyone Dad or Daddy, so those connotations have never been there. I suppose if anything, I used the term 'Father' more- as in referring to 'my biological father' and 'my step father'. I used Grandad- but that was a different word for me.

Interesting, isn't it? I fully believe that God meets us where we need to be met- and would never 'force' a term on us that is painful to us.

The only time it bugs me is when there's an assumption by some people that if someone calls God 'Daddy'- they're not having/ experiencing/ showing full respect for God- that using the term MUST equate to being informal in some detrimetal way. For me personally, that couldn't be further from the truth.

I agree that calling God that should never lead one into having a 'buddy/buddy mentality around God. He's my friend, for example- not my 'chum' or 'pal'.

So, for some I can see that calling God 'Daddy' would be- for them- the equivalent of calling Him 'buddy' or whatever instead of 'friend'.

For them- yes, 'Daddy' wouldn't be right for them. It doesn't make Christians who have called God 'Daddy' any better or worse- just different.

I'd hate it if anyone here implied that the Christians who don't use the term aren't 'mature' enough to be intimate with God on that level, (utter nonsense- one can be 'formal' and intimate just as one can use an informal term and be full of awe): just as I don't like the idea of being accused of being informal equating to disprespectful (I don't think for a minute that's what you're saying, Inkachu- just in case I haven't worded this too well!!!!).

I do agree that there is a limit- that although God desires intimacy with us there needs to be respect. Just like our biological parents (as they should be, not as some have failed)- we can and should be intimate with them because we're their child- but no matter how informally we may define our relationship- there's still that 'Honour your mother and father' bit that keeps- or should- keep that perspective.

I would say God is my friend. I wouldn't start saying 'Hey mate, how's it going?' That'd make me cringe. To me 'Daddy' isn't the same- it's still in the confines of (God's perfect) parenthood and has that need for respect and honour attached.

I think it's very useful to look at how we treat God- just to do an internal 'check' on our attitudes and see if how we refer to HIm has become disrepectful or if it's truly (appropriately) intimate.
Good thread- znr- I like being made to think rather than just go on through force of habit.

Upvote 0

asiyreh

God is salvation
Mar 14, 2012
Ireland
✟9,457.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well if you're all going to do it, I'm doing it too. I actually tried it last night, it's quite nice. Think I'll keep it in private though. We're quite a conservative bunch over here, when it comes to matters of the Spirit. Not always a bad thing though. I think we help to anchor you wacky liberals (Jk) and keep you from drifting too far from the shore. On the other hand I think you help to lighten us up a little, and not be Mr. and Mr's grumpy all the time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It's a relationship. The amazing thing is that we have the right to relate to God as Father at all. And in Christ we have such freedom that we can address the Lord as Abba, or Daddy, or Precious Father, or any other sincere term of endearment.

What works for one person might not work for the next - at least at this season in their life. And what works in my prayer closet might not be what I want to do when praying with others. So there's a lot going on.

I think the church gets caught up in trends, and it becomes "in" to do something one way. It becomes liturgy, if you will. But God is always interested in the heart, not so much the form.

Also, we all have filters we bring to our understanding of what a father is. The filters of some are quite distorted, and they may have a hard time relating to "daddy". But we all should understand that that level of intimacy is legitimate, and in its place, to be desired.

Paul twice uses "Abba" to describe the intimacy we have with the Father in Christ. I also see that Jesus Himself uses Abba to address the Father when He's in the garden preparing to give himself on the cross. I guess He needed that level of intimacy at that frightful time.

We're no different. Hard trials are coming, and intimacy with the Lord should be our top priority at any cost.

Upvote 0

Ark100

The Lord is my Refuge
Mar 11, 2012
✟10,421.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
I don't get it. Why do people refer to God as "daddy" or "dad"? This seems beyond weird to me. I attended a church for a few months and they all referred to The Lord as daddy, papa or dad. It's not that I find it irreverent or anything, it just turns my stomach when I hear it. How does a person get to this intimacy with The Lord where one calls God daddy?

znr, people do so because they feel close to God in their 'own' way. What may seem weird to you is not to another. Calling God 'DADDY' is absolutely fine with Him. God is not so much enthralled with our 'fancy words' as much as He is with our HEARTS towards Him and how true and deep we really are when we are approaching Him.
I have called God DADDY and I still do at certain times in my worship times with Him.
I call Him ABBA FATHER, and I use varieties of His name to worship Him.
God loves it all, and is not against any of it.
Our heart is what attracts The Father, and how we worship Him IN TRUTH
Let not the one who does not eat meat condemn the one who does, and vise versa.
God bless:)

Upvote 0

jjust19

Jun 5, 2013
QLD, Australia
✟7,836.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I find it to be a little irreverent at times... Like, imagine if you were talking to a king and said, "Okie dokey pointy hat guy." It doesn't sound too respectful, does it? I call God my Father. That's as far as I go, for even Jesus said to call him Father and only him. But, I guess it's alright. Sure you're playing with fire, but I can't see anyone going to hell for calling God a synonym of father.

Upvote 0

Angelfrog

Oct 22, 2009
✟9,863.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I find it to be a little irreverent at times... Like, imagine if you were talking to a king and said, "Okie dokey pointy hat guy." It doesn't sound too respectful, does it? I call God my Father. That's as far as I go, for even Jesus said to call him Father and only him. But, I guess it's alright. Sure you're playing with fire, but I can't see anyone going to hell for calling God a synonym of father.

So calling God 'Daddy' is playing with fire?

Rather unfair, don't you think?

I'll be a little blunt here- have you read what other posts have actually said- those who've replied that they do call God by that term sometimes?
If you had, I don't see how you could possibly equate using the term 'daddy' in a personal, deeply meaningful way with calling a king 'pointy hat guy'.

No one's said that they do the equivalent of sitting down and saying 'Yo, Daddio, dude!" to God.

Fair enough that you wouldn't use the phrase yourself- but to say those of us who have are playing with fire is unfair, untrue and judgemental. Please read what I posted before about respect and reverance for God.

This is exactly the thing was talking about earlier when I said that personal preference is one thing- but automatically judging Christians who use the term as disrespectful or 'wrong' in some way is another matter, (as is judging those who prefer not to use the term 'daddy').

Upvote 0