Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And the point is?

In Christ,
Kenith

:scratch: I was wondering that myself. I don't get what the OP has to do with Calvinism (or Catholicisim, Lutheranism, Anglicanism, Orthodoxy, Fundamentalism, etc..for that matter).

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Didn’t Jesus look into the rich, young ruler and ask him to sell all his possessions and follow him? Didn’t the man leave with great sorrow having rejected Jesus’ call?
Well, he was at least lucky enough to see the Christ in the flesh. :)

Matthew 20:28 even as the Son of Man did not come to be ministered to, but to minister, and to give his life a Ransom/lutron <3083> for Many.'

Upvote 0

Hairy Tic

May 4, 2005
✟2,144.00
Faith
Catholic
Didn’t Jesus look into the rich, young ruler and ask him to sell all his possessions and follow him? Didn’t the man leave with great sorrow having rejected Jesus’ call?
## Certainly :)

God's calling is effectual, and His grace invincible & irresistible, even so - the episode shows that the man did not answer the call of God on that occasion; it says nothing of the rest of his life.

Irresistible grace is irresistible, because man never finally gets the better of it - the all-ruling Sovereignty of God always has the last word :). This is entirely compatible with human refusals that precede our surrender to His grace. Once God has decreed to save a man, that man's salvation in Christ is absolutely certain - no matter how great his rebellion in the mean time. All struggling against God's Will to save, merely becomes another means by which God shows His grace to that person: because all our steps, without exception, are open to, & known by, Him.

Does that clarify ? ##

Upvote 0

CCWoody

Voted best Semper Reformada signature ~ 2007
Mar 23, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟8,255.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Rats. I thought it was a summons to one of our super secret meetings where we (the following has been stricken from the record)....

Recognize that all true Christians will be Calvinists in glory....

Your friendly neighborhood Cordial Calvinist
Woody.

Upvote 0

CCWoody

Mar 23, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟8,255.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And the point is?

In Christ,
Kenith
Talk about your Total Depravity. Here he was in the presence of the incarnate God and he says: No thanks, I like money better.

Woody.

Upvote 0

leothelioness

Apr 4, 2006
Southern US
✟112,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

God's calling is effectual, and His grace invincible & irresistible, even so - the episode shows that the man did not answer the call of God on that occasion; it says nothing of the rest of his life.

Irresistible grace is irresistible, because man never finally gets the better of it - the all-ruling Sovereignty of God always has the last word :). This is entirely compatible with human refusals that precede our surrender to His grace. Once God has decreed to save a man, that man's salvation in Christ is absolutely certain - no matter how great his rebellion in the mean time. All struggling against God's Will to save, merely becomes another means by which God shows His grace to that person: because all our steps, without exception, are open to, & known by, Him.

Does that clarify ? ##
Excellent post (that is if I understood it correctly ^_^ ).

When I read that I had to blink my eyes a few times to see if what I was reading was real. ^_^

A Catholic with Calvinist leanings. Don't think I've ever seen that (again, that is if I understood your post correctly- and I think I did! ^_^ ).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

When I read that I had to blink my eyes a few times to see if what I was reading was real. ^_^

A Catholic with Calvinist leanings. Don't think I've ever seen that (again, that is if I understood your post correctly- and I think I did! ^_^ ).
You can try to run from His effectual calling, but you can never hide nor lose it. Thank you LORD. :)

Jonah 1:1 And there is a word of Jehovah unto Jonah son of Amittai, saying: 2 `Rise, go unto Nineveh, the great city, and proclaim against it that their wickedness hath come up before Me.' 3 And Jonah riseth to flee to Tarshish from the face of Jehovah, :p

Upvote 0

leothelioness

Apr 4, 2006
Southern US
✟112,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
You can try to run from His effectual calling, but you can never hide nor lose it. Thank you LORD. :)

Jonah 1:1 And there is a word of Jehovah unto Jonah son of Amittai, saying: 2 `Rise, go unto Nineveh, the great city, and proclaim against it that their wickedness hath come up before Me.' 3 And Jonah riseth to flee to Tarshish from the face of Jehovah, :p
I guess it's a good thing we can't run from salvation. In the end we'll realise how good it was for us.

It's just like being a kind and running from mom when she tries to give you a bath, but when you get your bath and get all clean you realise just how good it feels and how glad you are that you gave in to mom. ^_^

It's no different with God and salvation. :)

Upvote 0

ksen

Wiki on Garth!
Mar 24, 2003
Florida
Visit site
✟20,679.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Who is to say that the young ruler didn't convert to Christ later on in his life?

And then I'd need to ask: what "call" do you think the young man was rejecting?

Upvote 0

ksen

Wiki on Garth!
Mar 24, 2003
Florida
Visit site
✟20,679.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

He's just following the example of St. Augustine. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Does that clarify ? ##

Good Day, Tic

Your first name would not happen to be Augustine would it :confused:

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Rats. I thought it was a summons to one of our super secret meetings where we (the following has been stricken from the record)....

Woody.

Good Day, CC

I thought the same thing.....

I hate to miss those. ^_^

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0

CCWoody

Mar 23, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟8,255.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A Thomistist (sp) catholic???

Woody.

Upvote 0

leothelioness

Apr 4, 2006
Southern US
✟112,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
St. Augustine is good. :)

Actually our theology was "founded" on the teachings of Augustine.

Augustine was a great apologist and theologian. :)

From what I see though most Catholics follow Arminius' theology. That's why I found it interesting.

Upvote 0

Hairy Tic

May 4, 2005
✟2,144.00
Faith
Catholic

## LOL - there's nothing wrong with your eyes. :D And thanks for the kind words. I do read St. Thomas Aquinas :holy: : who owed a lot to St. Augustine, so, he is close to Calvin in some respects. I admire Calvin's approach because he insists on giving God the supreme place - everything else is subordinated to that. ##

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.