Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Which standard of judgement from the Bible - OT or NT?
Matthew 5:
"38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ 39 But I say to you, Do not resist an evildoer."
"43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may be children of your Father in heaven"

On what authority do you use a NT judgement on an OT act?

Remember the Israelites didn't act on there authority to butcher any people group, each time they acted on a command from God.
Whether you accept that this happened is irrelevent it is what is recorded.
You also have to deal with the fact that every death is the result of God ending that life.

Upvote 0

mcarans

Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2018
Wellington
✟136,444.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The NT and OT are not equal revelations. "Indeed, to this very day, when they hear the reading of the old covenant, that same veil is still there, since only in Christ is it set aside.15 Indeed, to this very day whenever Moses is read, a veil lies over their minds" 2 Corinthians 3:14-15
It is through the revelation of Jesus that the veil is lifted and we can understand the Old Testament.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
"...the atrocities (and treacheries) of Joshua...the dangers of believing in a God whom we cannot but regard as evil, and then, in mere terrified flattery calling Him ‘good’ and worshiping Him...whether the doctrine of the goodness of God or that of the inerrancy of Scriptures is to prevail when they conflict. I think the doctrine of the goodness of God is the more certain of the two. Indeed, only that doctrine renders this worship of Him obligatory or even permissible."

More here

What are your views on Lewis's thoughts?

This guy Chuck Missler has some interesting theories on how bad the Caananites were behaving.

Upvote 0