✟84,192.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

King James Bible, Isaiah 53:
5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

Is this about physical healing or spiritual healing?

Matthew understood that as both. It does not mean that we can insist on it every time that we are sick. There is no guarantee that believers will always be physically healed by his stripes. There is 100% guarantee that by his stripes, our relationship with God is always restored if we believe, 1 Peter 2:
24 who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness—by whose stripes you were healed.

By his stripes, we are healed. Really?

Physically, sometimes. Spiritually, always.

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,982.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are hindrances to prayer such as "Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.' I Pet 3:7

Some point out Holy Scriptures that may show the root of some conditions such as "A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones." Pro 17:2 Books have been written on this area.

Pro 4 includes "My son, attend to my words; incline thine ear unto my sayings.
21 Let them not depart from thine eyes; keep them in the midst of thine heart.
22 For they are life unto those that find them, and health to all their flesh."

God is our healer.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,458.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Just posted a few Scriptures to encourage those who need help to look at the many aspects of healing.
"By His stripes we are healed", is not about physical healing of a sick person. It is healing from the condition of sin through the blood of Christ shed on the Cross, and He taking the penalty of the person's sin. Healing is part of the atonement, sure, but that will take full effect when we are resurrected in our glorified bodies, and therefore all sickness will be left behind.

• Winner
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟564,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A few points to prove that "by His stripes ye were healed" are, in fact, speaking about physical healing and not "spiritual healing."

1. There is no such thing as "spiritual healing" in the gospel. It is an invention borrowed from new-age teachings which teach this heresy at length. Nowhere in the NT do we find anything about "spiritual healing."

2. We are not spiritually healed. We are born again. Jesus and the apostles taught "ye must be born again." Not spiritually healed.

3. We are all dead in Adam. Both physically and spiritually. And it is an incurable wickedness that cannot be healed.

Jeremiah 17:9 LITV​
9. The heart is deceitful above all things, and it is incurable; who can know it?​

Dead things cannot be healed. They have to be raised from the dead. Even then, our spirits were not even "raised from the dead," they were eliminated and replaced by the spirit of Christ. We now possess the spirit of Christ. Not some patched-up, hosed-down version of our old Adamic man. He is gone.

4. 1 Peter 2:24 is a quote from a passage in Isaiah 53.
Isaiah 53:4-5 KJV​
4. Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.​
5. But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.​

Verse 4 is quoted in Matt 8:17. It proves beyond any doubt that these verses in Isa 53 are indeed talking about physical healing:
Matthew 8:16-17 KJV​
16. When the even was come, they brought unto him many that were possessed with devils: and he cast out the spirits with his word, and healed all that were sick:
17. That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, Himself took our infirmities, and bare our sicknesses.​

The golden rule of interpreting the Bible is to take it literally whenever possible. And it most certainly is literal here.
By His Stripes we WERE healed.
Also, notice that the verse in Isaiah says, "by his stripes you are healed."
In Peter, it is past tense "by his stripes you WERE healed."
More proof that healing is an accomplished fact! Healing, like everything else, is included in the atonement. Every promise. Every blessing, whether physical or spiritual, has been provided for us in the gospel! It has all been made good in the word of Jesus. In HIM!

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟284,613.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
"By His stripes we are healed", is not about physical healing of a sick person.
By what scripture are you establishing that? Or is this just a refutation of scripture? To be clear, I am addressing the content of the post.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,458.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
A few points to prove that "by His stripes ye were healed" are, in fact, speaking about physical healing and not "spiritual healing."

1. There is no such thing as "spiritual healing" in the gospel. It is an invention borrowed from new-age teachings which teach this heresy at length. Nowhere in the NT do we find anything about "spiritual healing."

2. We are not spiritually healed. We are born again. Jesus and the apostles taught "ye must be born again." Not spiritually healed.

3. We are all dead in Adam. Both physically and spiritually. And it is an incurable wickedness that cannot be healed.

Jeremiah 17:9 LITV​
9. The heart is deceitful above all things, and it is incurable; who can know it?​

Dead things cannot be healed. They have to be raised from the dead. Even then, our spirits were not even "raised from the dead," they were eliminated and replaced by the spirit of Christ. We now possess the spirit of Christ. Not some patched-up, hosed-down version of our old Adamic man. He is gone.

4. 1 Peter 2:24 is a quote from a passage in Isaiah 53.
Isaiah 53:4-5 KJV​
4. Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.​
5. But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.​

Verse 4 is quoted in Matt 8:17. It proves beyond any doubt that these verses in Isa 53 are indeed talking about physical healing:
Matthew 8:16-17 KJV​
16. When the even was come, they brought unto him many that were possessed with devils: and he cast out the spirits with his word, and healed all that were sick:
17. That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, Himself took our infirmities, and bare our sicknesses.​

The golden rule of interpreting the Bible is to take it literally whenever possible. And it most certainly is literal here.
By His Stripes we WERE healed.
Also, notice that the verse in Isaiah says, "by his stripes you are healed."
In Peter, it is past tense "by his stripes you WERE healed."
More proof that healing is an accomplished fact! Healing, like everything else, is included in the atonement. Every promise. Every blessing, whether physical or spiritual, has been provided for us in the gospel! It has all been made good in the word of Jesus. In HIM!
Fine in theory. If it is working out in practice, then instant divine healing should be a widespread happening every time a sick person has prayer or hands laid on him or her for healing. Every believer who has heart disease, cancer, cerebral palsy, deafness, and blindness should be instantly healed. Trouble is, the actual evidence shows that very few, if any, are instantly healed, and most who are prayed for either get well by natural or medical means, remain chronically disable or unwell, or die. So there is something wrong somewhere. Usually, it is the sick person who is blamed for not being healed, but if healing is guaranteed as your theory postulates, then it would not be up to the sick person to become healed, but it should happen automatically according to your interpretation of the Scripture.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,458.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
  • Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟564,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The observable evidence supports a "no" answer to that question.
Same thing that happened in Jesus's day. And He marveled at their unbelief.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,458.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Same thing that happened in Jesus's day. And He marveled at their unbelief.
It wasn't that they did not believe in divine healing. They refused to believe that Jesus was any different than the person who grew up among them. We have churches like that today. The liberal ones don't believe in a historical Jesus, and the prosperity ones preach a totally different Jesus. And the majority of the rest believed that the gifts, including divine healing, ceased after the Apostolic Age.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,982.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jehovah Rapha, our healer:

-"Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:
3 Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases;" Psa 103
-"And Elisha sent a messenger unto him, saying, Go and wash in Jordan seven times, and thy flesh shall come again to thee, and thou shalt be clean." II kings 5:10
-"18 The Lord is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit." Psa 34

God created us, He can certainly heal us.

Determined the time and place of our births:
-“And he made from one man every race of men to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted epochs and the fixed boundaries of the places where they would live;” (Acts 17:26)

He formed us:
-“For You formed my innermost parts; You knit me [together] in my mother’s womb” Psa 139:13
-“-“The spirit of God hath made me, and the breath of the Almighty hath given me life.” Job 33:4
-"I will put ligaments on you, place muscles on you, and cover you with skin. I will put breath in you, and you will live. Then you will know that I am Yahweh." Eze 37:6
-"Have we not all one father? hath not one God created us? why do we deal treacherously every man against his brother, by profaning the covenant of our fathers?” Mal 2;10

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,562.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"By His stripes we are healed", is not about physical healing of a sick person. It is healing from the condition of sin through the blood of Christ shed on the Cross, and He taking the penalty of the person's sin. Healing is part of the atonement, sure, but that will take full effect when we are resurrected in our glorified bodies, and therefore all sickness will be left behind.

Healing is part of the atonement and the stripes were physical.

Like forgiveness is given and the propensity for sin remains, so healing is at times given and the propensity for sickness remains.

But as you say, until resurrection time it is partial in application until we are resurrected and made anew on that wonderful day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,458.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Healing is part of the atonement and the stripes were physical.

Like forgiveness is given and the propensity for sin remains, so healing is at times given and the propensity for sickness remains.

But as you say, until resurrection time it is partial in application until we are resurrected and made anew on hat wonderful day.
In Matthew, Jesus took that part of Isaiah 53 to serve as a sign and fulfillment of His healing ministry. The healing through Peter and John of the lame man was also a sign and a fulfillment of Isaiah 53 to support their preaching of the Gospel to the Jews. Similarly, Paul's miracles of healing involved the same sign to support his preaching of the Gospel to the Gentiles. The point is that if Jesus has the power is to heal through the preaching of the Gospel, then He has the power to save through the same Gospel. The most notable examples of healing are connected with the preaching of the Gospel. When real divine healing occurs, people get saved, sometimes in great numbers.

But when a ministry of healing is attempted without involving the preaching of the Gospel, it doesn't work, because the Holy Spirit is solely interested in the salvation of souls and when preachers align themselves with His purpose, then He will heal and save. This is why people like Todd Bentley, Todd White, Benny Hinn, and Kenneth Copeland, when they claim healing, nothing happens, because they don't preach the Gospel, nor the same Jesus who sent the Holy Spirit to gift the body of Christ to work out God's plan and purpose of the salvation of lost sinners.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,562.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In Matthew, Jesus took that part of Isaiah 53 to serve as a sign and fulfillment of His healing ministry. The healing through Peter and John of the lame man was also a sign and a fulfillment of Isaiah 53 to support their preaching of the Gospel to the Jews. Similarly, Paul's miracles of healing involved the same sign to support his preaching of the Gospel to the Gentiles. The point is that if Jesus has the power is to heal through the preaching of the Gospel, then He has the power to save through the same Gospel. The most notable examples of healing are connected with the preaching of the Gospel. When real divine healing occurs, people get saved, sometimes in great numbers.

But when a ministry of healing is attempted without involving the preaching of the Gospel, it doesn't work, because the Holy Spirit is solely interested in the salvation of souls and when preachers align themselves with His purpose, then He will heal and save. This is why people like Todd Bentley, Todd White, Benny Hinn, and Kenneth Copeland, when they claim healing, nothing happens, because they don't preach the Gospel, nor the same Jesus who sent the Holy Spirit to gift the body of Christ to work out God's plan and purpose of the salvation of lost sinners.

This is why Jesus sent word back to JB that the poor have the Gospel preached to them, Christianity was not meant to be a rich man's sport. - this preaching to the poor, is largely absent in the modern church.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟564,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We know the term "mindset." As in:
"What is your mindset regarding politics?"

I think we have a "faithset" also. This is the collection of beliefs that we hold about life and what Jesus/God has already done for us.
What is your faithset about healing? His word is abiding in you. At the first sign of a sniffle, what comes up out of the abundance of your heart?
Is it:
"Oh no, not another cold. I hope it is not the flu again!"
"I can't miss any more work!"
"Why does this always happen to me?"

Or does this float up:
"Thank you, Lord, I know your stripes have already healed me. I know you have given us all things that pertain to life and godliness!"

The thing is, you have to have established this "faithset" before the trial comes. When the car is careening toward the cliff, that is no time to try and muster up some faith. You have to have a pre-existing faithset about God's will, your life, and your future. If your pre-existing faithset is "What will be will be, I hope everything is going to be ok." Then I suspect there may be trouble for you.
So much of our discussion about faith and why we (I) push faith scripture is to encourage believers to develop this "faith set."

"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟284,613.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We know the term "mindset." As in:
"What is your mindset regarding politics?"

I think we have a "faithset" also. This is the collect of beliefs that we hold about life and what Jesus/God has already done for us.
What is your faithset about healing? His word is abiding in you. At the first sign of a sniffle, what comes up out of the abundance of your heart?
Is it:
"Oh no, not another cold. I hope it is not the flu again!"
"I can't miss any more work!"
"Why does this always happen to me?"

Or does this float up:
"Thank you, Lord, I know your stripes have already healed me. I know you have given us all things that pertain to life and godliness!"

The thing is, you have to have established this "faithset" before the trial comes. When the car is careening toward the cliff, that is no time to try and muster up some faith. You have to have a pre-existing faithset about God's will, your life, and your future. If your pre-existing faithset is "What will be will be, I hope everything is going to be ok." Then I suspect there may be trouble for you.
So much of our discussion about faith and why we (I) push faith scripture is to encourage believers to develop this "faith set."

"
Yet we have "believers" on here actively questioning God's written word, and discouraging trust in God's faithfulness to His promises. Me, I need all of the encouragement I can get. It's one of the reasons I push back so hard, but also because the goal of the discourager is to weaken the entire body.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟218,041.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yet we have "believers" on here actively questioning God's written word, and discouraging trust in God's faithfulness to His promises. Me, I need all of the encouragement I can get. It's one of the reasons I push back so hard, but also because the goal of the discourager is to weaken the entire body.

Its more to reinforce what Paul teaches all of us to do, to get God's approval today, in 2 Timothy 2:15.

Rightly divide the word of truth.

Imagine you meet a Christian who want to claim Genesis 15:5 as God's promise to him, and he push back hard against anyone who attempt to teach him that promise was specific to Abraham.

How would you respond to that?

Upvote 0