Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I mostly agree, but what has the Democrat party actually done about it besides lip service?

Which party continues to push new education initiatives?
Which party continues to push new anti-poverty initiatives?
Which party continues to push for the prosecution of civil rights violations and other anti-discrimination initiatives?
Which party continues to push for improvements in policing?
Which party continues to push for ways to encourage minority groups to participate in spheres in which they're under-represented?
Which party continues to push for expanded access to healthcare?
Which party continues to push for the cleanup of pollutants that disproportionately impact poor (often minority) communities?
Which party continues to push for research into phenomena that have disparate impacts on different communities?

I've been following politics for a couple decades now and I don't recall Republicans ever taking the lead on any of these, unless they had something to do with charter schools, gun ownership, or sentencing increases.

Wisdom is proved right by her actions. Although I recognize the need for it, in many instances people enslave themselves to government through programs like welfare. And there are all kinds of discriminating employers, many deny overweight people jobs because of the stereotype they are "fat and lazy" and not productive enough in their eyes. And impoverished people in general are denied education and eligibility for loans they probably are better off not being enslaved by. And impoverished people probably account for the greater populace with poor credit, which means denial for home loans and loans for property, so it's not all about skin color, it's a multi faceted problem.

I never said it was "all about skin color", but if you're denying that race was deliberately used as a factor to deny people loans, educations, jobs, and housing opportunities, then I suggest you go read a history book, because you're woefully wrong.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟370,999.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Thankful for Republican "honest Abe" it was one great step towards freedom in America, and led to other steps in the goal of ending one form of slavery, but others are right, there are other forms of slavery (human trafficking for instance), and other countries where it is still a greater problem, and countries where women are treated like slaves or worse. But maybe it's off topic and going down rabbit holes and out of context to go beyond human slavery in America as it relates to law.
Yes honest abe was a real PROGRESSIVE. Thanks to him and his PROGRESSIVE thinking America is better.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Don't fool yourself, debt and taxation are what enslaves most of the world today.

Yea , you pay tax for working (which is stupid ) then you pay tax while buying stuff with money that was alredy taxed so you are taxed twice . There is even inheritance tax , goverment make sure that you have to work to pay future taxes so it is taxing what your ancestors made so you are forced to work for them .

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟370,999.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
But you get stuff for paying taxes. Your money goes to pay for stuff. If you choose not to access that stuff (and sometimes, it is a choice) then that is your loss. And if you are lucky enough never to have to access it (like fire fighters or the police), just be happy with it.

How can taxation be theft if you receive services for it? NEver understand that argument.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟707,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Your knowledge of history appears to be lacking.

Civil Rights Act of 1964 - Wikipedia

Wikipedia hmmm

Here the truth

Steele says GOP fought hard for civil rights bills in 1960s

When the Senate passed the measure on June 19, 1964, -- nine days after supporters mustered enough votes to end the longest filibuster in Senate history -- the margin was 73-27. Better than two-thirds of Senate Democrats supported the measure on final passage (46 yeas, 21 nays), but an even stronger 82 percent of Republicans supported it (27 yeas, 6 nays).

Question: who filibustered the civil rights bill?

Answer: a Democrat

Civil Rights Filibuster Ended. At 9:51 on the morning of June 10, 1964, Senator Robert C. Byrd completed an address that he had begun 14 hours and 13 minutes earlier. The subject was the pending Civil Rights Act of 1964, a measure that occupied the Senate for 60 working days, including seven Saturdays.

The Grand Wizard at his best.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟370,999.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Wikipedia hmmm

Here the truth

Steele says GOP fought hard for civil rights bills in 1960s

When the Senate passed the measure on June 19, 1964, -- nine days after supporters mustered enough votes to end the longest filibuster in Senate history -- the margin was 73-27. Better than two-thirds of Senate Democrats supported the measure on final passage (46 yeas, 21 nays), but an even stronger 82 percent of Republicans supported it (27 yeas, 6 nays).

Question: who filibustered the civil rights bill?

Answer: a Democrat

Civil Rights Filibuster Ended. At 9:51 on the morning of June 10, 1964, Senator Robert C. Byrd completed an address that he had begun 14 hours and 13 minutes earlier. The subject was the pending Civil Rights Act of 1964, a measure that occupied the Senate for 60 working days, including seven Saturdays.

The Grand Wizard at his best.
So was he a progressive a regressive?

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟707,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So was he a progressive a regressive?

He was a Democratic member who while saying he didn’t follow the KKK anymore, sure voted and acted like he did.

Upvote 0

Allandavid

Dec 30, 2016
Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
He was a Democratic member who while saying he didn’t follow the KKK anymore, sure voted and acted like he did.

So hardly a progressive, correct...?

You can always find a ‘black sheep’ or two in any political party...look at the examples of McCain, Flake et al in the Republican Party at present...

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟707,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So hardly a progressive, correct...?

You can always find a ‘black sheep’ or two in any political party...look at the examples of McCain, Flake et al in the Republican Party at present...

This black sheep stayed in the party rising to senior leadership for decades. Not one Democrat called for him to step down and he was embraced not just as as one of their own, but celebrity status. Certain Secretary of States and former Presidents advertising and have their photos taken. .

No amount of whataboutism changes that, nor the fact that the main opposition to the civil rights act cane from the Democrats who NEVER changed parties at that time nor any further time.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Rambot's signature line:

"Don't mind me. I'm a teacher and it's mid June. I'm a nut at work and cranky outside of it. I could end up being rude over the next little bit. I'm sorry if I am!

Thanks for being nice to me today!"

Been there! Did that for forty years. This too shall pass ---- just like kidney stones.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟370,999.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Rambot's signature line:

"Don't mind me. I'm a teacher and it's mid June. I'm a nut at work and cranky outside of it. I could end up being rude over the next little bit. I'm sorry if I am!

Thanks for being nice to me today!"

Been there! Did that for forty years. This too shall pass ---- just like kidney stones.
NOOOOOO! I've passed kidney stones too.

Uuuug.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟370,999.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Democrat. .republican. A rose by any other name.....especially through the 20th cent.

Ultimately he was not progressive in his thinking. Democrat or repub.

Upvote 0

Allandavid

Dec 30, 2016
Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
This black sheep stayed in the party rising to senior leadership for decades. Not one Democrat called for him to step down and he was embraced not just as as one of their own, but celebrity status. Certain Secretary of States and former Presidents advertising and have their photos taken. .

No amount of whataboutism changes that, nor the fact that the main opposition to the civil rights act cane from the Democrats who NEVER changed parties at that time nor any further time.

So, progressive...?

Upvote 0

Allandavid

Dec 30, 2016
Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

And to give the man his due, his rise to ‘celebrity status happened after he had jettisoned much of his racist attitudes of the past...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟707,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And to give the man his due, his rise to ‘celebrity status happened after he had jettisoned much of his racist attitudes of the past...

Pbbllllllt. And they took gullible out of the dictionary.

Much doesn’t mean all

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
xe0reOq.jpg

Context for passing time

Most of us understand the silent and inherent slavery in America is simply for the reason that many Americans are children of viscous slave owners, sympathizers, and racist. And, they are taught this behavior. They believe they are not racist, because they believe that their prejudices are truth.

There are many of these living who are the fruit of the same vine.

Jim Crow is still here, it's just evolved.

Essentially, but again most of the descendants of slave owners and sympathizers truly believe those who are affected by what most with eyes call racism are just lazy, and looking for excuse. So, this will never resonate. It is part ignorance and part prejudice.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,197,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
There is even inheritance tax
...on estates that leave more then $5,490,000 per heir and then only the amount above $5,490,000 assuming that there was zero estate planning prior to death in which case the person was very wealthy and very stupid.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
But you get stuff for paying taxes. Your money goes to pay for stuff. If you choose not to access that stuff (and sometimes, it is a choice) then that is your loss. And if you are lucky enough never to have to access it (like fire fighters or the police), just be happy with it.

How can taxation be theft if you receive services for it? NEver understand that argument.
I'm referring to property tax... if you think you own anything, try not paying your taxes and see who gets your property.

Upvote 0