Senior Veteran
Dec 29, 2003
Fairfield
✟4,755.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050916...MdqP0AC;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Bush Rules Out Tax Hike to Fund Recovery

By TERENCE HUNT, AP White House CorrespondentFri Sep 16, 7:13 PM ET

President Bush on Friday ruled out raising taxes to pay the massive costs of Gulf Coast reconstruction, saying other government spending must be cut to pay for a recovery effort expected to swell the national debt by $200 billion or more.

Hours earlier, Bush vowed to help rebuild the region with an eye toward wiping out the persistent poverty and racial injustice that exist there.

"As we clear away the debris of a hurricane, let us also clear away the legacy of inequality," he said at a prayer service at Washington National Cathedral in memory of Hurricane Katrina's victims. Polls suggest a majority of Americans believe the president should have responded quicker to Katrina, and high percentages of blacks tell pollsters they believe race played a role in the slow response by all levels of government.

At the White House, the chairman of Bush's National Economic Council, Al Hubbard, made clear that Hurricane Katrina recovery costs are "coming from the American taxpayer." Another top aide, domestic policy adviser Claude Allen, said the administration had not identified any budget cuts to offset the disaster expense, and Bush did not name any either.

Congress already has approved $62 billion for the disaster, but that is expected to run out next month and require another budget-busting installment. The federal deficit was projected at $333 billion for the current year before the storm slammed into the Gulf Coast more than two weeks ago.

Some fiscal conservatives are expressing alarm at the prospect of such massive federal outlays without cutting other spending.

"It is inexcusable for the White House and Congress to not even make the effort to find at least some offsets to this new spending," said Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla.

Bush, who declined to try to put a price tag on the costs, expressed no worry.

"You bet it's going to cost money. But I'm confident we can handle it and I'm confident we can handle our other priorities," he said during a news conference with Russian President Vladimir Putin. "It's going to cost whatever it costs."

Bush said it's important that government quickly restore the region to give people hope, and repeated his statement from Thursday night's speech from the heart of the New Orleans' French Quarter that the federal government would cover most of the cost of rebuilding schools, bridges and other infrastructure. Asked who would pay for the work and how it would impact the nation's rising debt, Bush said "the key question is to make sure that the costs are wisely spent."

"It means we're going to have to make sure we cut unnecessary spending," he said. "It's going to mean that we maintain economic growth and we should not raise taxes."

Without being asked, Putin stepped up to respond to Republican worries that Bush was writing a blank check for hurricane recovery that would increase the debt on generations to come.

The old Soviet Union had lived by the rule that money should not be taken from the pockets of future generations, Putin said. "But we never thought about the existing, current, present generations. And at the end of the day, we have destroyed the country not thinking about the people living today."

"Therefore, of course, yes, we need to spend money," the Russian leader said. "There is no two ways about it."

Opening Friday's joint news conference with Putin, Bush thanked his guest for sending supplies to the Katrina relief effort, saying the gesture would help "lift the spirits" of hurricane victims. The Russian said that Katrina provided "serious lessons" for Russia and other countries. Putin did not specifically mention the criticism of relief efforts in the Gulf Coast.

The hurricane killed hundreds of people across five states, forced major evacuations and caused untold property damage.

Bush also said he wants Congress to consider changing the law to allow the military to step in immediately if a catastrophic disaster occurs again. "It's important for us to learn from the storm what could have been done better," he said. Under fire, the White House has accused state and city officials of not authorizing federal involvement quickly enough, although critics say the administration didn't need approval to act.

What in the hell is he doing? We have declared war on 2 countries, had a major disaster, yet he STILL won't raise taxes to pay for all of this? He has driven us so damn far into debt, spending and spending and spending, and NOW hes talking about using money wisely? Seriously, where does he think the money will come from?!?!?

Doctrine1st

Official nitwit
Oct 11, 2002
Seattle
Visit site
✟12,523.00
Faith
Politics
US-Others
Venezuela sends cargo of 300,000 barrels of gasoline direct to Louisiana

"Chavez Frias broke the news on arrival in the USA and has reminded reporters that the Venezuelan government had offered 8 electrical plants and drinking water supplies to help the homeless, aid which has been rejected."

Nah, we got a huge line of credit from foreign countries.....

Upvote 0

Law of Loud

Apparently a Librul Moonbat <[wash my mouth][wa
Aug 31, 2004
Seattle
✟10,493.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Holly3278 said:
Personally I'm glad he isn't raising the taxes.

I don't want to have kids anymore. I don't want to put them through the hell that America's becoming, just so we don't have to pay any taxes. Because, as this deficit keeps skyrocketing without even the remotest attempt to stabilize it, our currency is going to keep inflating, and given time, our market is going to really struggle.

We can continue to hedonistically run the deficit. And our kids will suffer for this. For their sakes, I pray you never have any, and I don't either.

Upvote 0

HumbleMan

Ragamuffin
Dec 2, 2003
Mississippi by way of Texas
✟17,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is the stubborness of our president. There are two factors that eroding tax base- higher unemployment means less personal income taxes. The loss of jobs to India, China, Bermuda, etc, means less corporate taxes coming in.

While I don't like taxes in general, I think his tax cuts should have been phased in slower and dependent on the national debt, and they should have been more proportionately distributed. Bush is a great example of why a flat tax is better than the current system.

Upvote 0

mnphysicist

Have Courage to Trust God!
May 11, 2005
South East Minnesota (east of Rochester)
Visit site
✟57,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
pantsman52 said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050916...MdqP0AC;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl
What in the hell is he doing? We have declared war on 2 countries, had a major disaster, yet he STILL won't raise taxes to pay for all of this? He has driven us so damn far into debt, spending and spending and spending, and NOW hes talking about using money wisely? Seriously, where does he think the money will come from?!?!?

Future growth, the same as all those speculation in the real estate market.

Now, we could cover it without additional debt, by simply raising all personal income tax levels (excluding diaster areas) by 7-9% for 2 or maybe 3 years. I don't think that would be all that popular either, and it would put the economy into a serious header for the next 10 years, and kill off most social programs. Otoh, banking on future growth is going to catch up at some point.

My guess is when all is said and done, little will change, tiny increases in taxes, a few cuts in programs, and a huge increase in debt. This will continue until the debt becomes overwhelming. Right now, the debt is still under the GNP, so its probably not a big deal to many.

Ron

Upvote 0

MaryS

Sep 12, 2004
✟3,195.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
HumbleMan said:
Bush is a great example of why a flat tax is better than the current system.

A flat tax is something Steve Forbes has always pushed for. He has a method whereby people could pay their income tax with a postcard instead of all the forms they go through.

I remember reading about how Russis implemented a flat tax and doubled their revenues.

Most people confuse the terms debt and deficit. Deficit is the amount that is being spent that exceeds the revenues for a given year, whereas the debt is the total of all accumulated deficits from the beginning.

As long as our country's GNP continues to grow, I don't think we have a major problem. I don't remember what the last GNP numbers were, but the annual spending/revenues that I last saw numbers on were right around $3 trillion. The amount that spending exceeds revenue in a given year is know as "deficit" and as a percentage of revenue, it's not so huge. The really huge deficits were during WWII when we were running deficits of close to 300% of GDP/GNP. The current deficits are running between 3 to 4% of GDP/GNP.

Upvote 0

Inconel

Cold-Hearted Realist
Mar 2, 2005
✟15,996.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I hope he slashes pork spending and doesn't give in to making big government even bigger.

There are two factors that eroding tax base- higher unemployment means less personal income taxes. The loss of jobs to India, China, Bermuda, etc, means less corporate taxes coming in.

Federal tax revenue keeps increasing, but spending increases even more. Democrats make a career out of creating a dependent lower class which eats out of their hand, Republicans are silent because they fear being called names if they do anything about it. No amount of tax revenue could pull us out of this situation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pantsman52

Senior Veteran
Dec 29, 2003
Fairfield
✟4,755.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Inconel said:
I hope he slashes pork spending and doesn't give in to making big government even bigger.

Federal tax revenue keeps increasing, but spending increases even more. Democrats make a career out of creating a dependent lower class which eats out of their hand, Republicans are silent because they fear being called names if they do anything about it. No amount of tax revenue could pull us out of this situation.

Ya, who would think that increasing taxes would help pay for a huge defecit. Silly me.

Upvote 0

ClaireZ

Senior Veteran
Apr 29, 2004
USA
✟12,188.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Holly3278 said:
Personally I'm glad he isn't raising the taxes.

I am pretty sure that raising taxes wouldn't affect most of us here much. The people that the tax cuts have benefited the most are much richer than most of us could ever dream of.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Law of Loud

Aug 31, 2004
Seattle
✟10,493.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
OddBeani said:
Yay. Yet another bush hating thread. Creativity, anyone, please? Bush Bashers anon should be started for half the members of CF alone...

Yeah. Bush won't raise taxes for something that will cost billions. It's Howard Dean's fault.

Upvote 0

Law of Loud

Aug 31, 2004
Seattle
✟10,493.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Cerberus~ said:
We could pay for this disaster 3x over with all the money wasted on pork-barrel speanding. We don't need to raise taxes. There's plenty of money in the government. All we need now is ppl who know that just throwing money at problems doesn't fix them.

Yes, because rebuilding a city the size of New Orleans cost ~50 million, which is less than that bridge they're building in Alaska.

Cerberus, Bush has promised to rebuild New Orleans, without raising taxes. I don't think you realize what the cost of such a massive reconstruction project will be, considering the majority of the city should probably be condemned right now for the water damage it's taken.

Upvote 0

Doctrine1st

Official nitwit
Oct 11, 2002
Seattle
Visit site
✟12,523.00
Faith
Politics
US-Others
OddBeani said:
Yay. Yet another bush hating thread. Creativity, anyone, please? Bush Bashers anon should be started for half the members of CF alone...
It seems rather people are concerned about our escalating historic massive debt given the two quamires we have going on as wars, and frankly you should be too since our debt is being consumed by the First Bank of China as we help build there military complex. So rather than ad hominen, if you have a lucid argument that rests these dire straights that our president continualy places us in, please feel free to submit it. :)

Upvote 0