Bush/Blair prepare for a frosty reception....

Silvio Dante

Nov 11, 2003
✟948.00
Faith
Catholic
alonesoldier said:
'millions of people will turn up in the streets'

this according to the original OP. The fringe elements always have a way of over stating their case. I want them to eat some crow when the number is under one million. It has to be, their are only between 7 and 8 million people in the entire city. A strong showing of 750,000 showed up to oppose the war back in March. Do you take your crow with or without ketchup?

You really are a true servant to the Bush Dynasty....:rolleyes:

You're gonna be in for a big surprise....:D

Upvote 0

alonesoldier

Senior Veteran
Dec 30, 2002
Lawton Oklahoma, Officer Career Course
✟3,405.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Your only making things harder on yourself, your going to look like an even bigger fool. The BBC and all others are expecting tens of thousands, not millions. You sure you don't want to back out of this claim? I hear crow have lice.

Upvote 0

alonesoldier

Senior Veteran
Dec 30, 2002
✟3,405.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
TO THE BBC YEAH YEAH YEAH

Organizers of Thursday's march, expected to draw as many as 60,000 people, are eager for Bush to see them. They also want the public to see images of protests, not just pomp and ceremony.

Forty-three percent of those questioned in an ICM survey for the Guardian newspaper said Bush should visit Britain, while 36 percent said he should not. ICM said it's survey had a margin of error of 3 percentage points.

Upvote 0

alonesoldier

Senior Veteran
Dec 30, 2002
✟3,405.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The Stop the War Coalition (search), the main organizers of a series of protests, raised its estimate for Thursday's march in central London from 60,000 to 100,000.

"Opposition is just snowballing," Lindsey German, a protest coalition leader, said Tuesday. "We fully expect that over the next three days the true view of the British people will become evident.".

Bush has said he's glad to be visiting a country where people are free to protest.

A poll published Tuesday in the Guardian newspaper suggested that more Britons welcomed the visit than the number who opposed it.

Forty-three percent of those questioned in an ICM survey said Bush should visit Britain, while 36 percent said he should not. Some 62 percent agreed that America was "generally speaking, a force for good," while 15 percent thought it was "an evil empire."

Upvote 0

Silvio Dante

Nov 11, 2003
✟948.00
Faith
Catholic
that one guy said:
Or you can look at it as a majority of those polled didn't oppose his visit. :)

Talking to you is fun, like those riddles in the classified section of the newspaper. ;)

Cheers mate. its good to get as many views as possible out in the open.

I can't believe why my "Imagine the scene" thread was deleted though. Smacks of unneccessary censorship to me....

Upvote 0

alonesoldier

Senior Veteran
Dec 30, 2002
✟3,405.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Imagine the scene was deleted because it had no point. You have to have a subject to start a thread.

Just can't admit you were wrong. Majority support the U.S and the President is their right now and no where near a million people are showing up.

Upvote 0

ThePhoenix

Aug 12, 2003
✟5,476.00
Faith
Christian
alonesoldier said:
Imagine the scene was deleted because it had no point. You have to have a subject to start a thread.

Just can't admit you were wrong. Majority support the U.S and the President is their right now and no where near a million people are showing up.
Excuse me, where was the line: X% support President Bush and the War in Iraq, Y% Oppose it. Because your statistics proved NOTHING.

Upvote 0

alonesoldier

Senior Veteran
Dec 30, 2002
✟3,405.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
A poll published Tuesday in the Guardian newspaper suggested that more Britons welcomed the visit than the number who opposed it.

Forty-three percent of those questioned in an ICM survey said Bush should visit Britain, while 36 percent said he should not. Some 62 percent agreed that America was "generally speaking, a force for good," while 15 percent thought it was "an evil empire."

Supporters of Prime Minister Tony Blair's Labor Party were slightly more likely, 51 percent, to welcome the visit than were backers of the opposition Conservative Party, 45 percent, although Conservative policies are generally more in tune with Bush's views.

The poll had more good news for Blair: 47 percent of those questioned said they supported the decision to go to war in Iraq, up from 38 percent in a similar poll in September. Opposition to the war was down 12 points to 41 percent.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Silvio Dante

Nov 11, 2003
✟948.00
Faith
Catholic
alonesoldier said:
Imagine the scene was deleted because it had no point.

Ah. So it was you who went running to the Moderators :rolleyes:.

The thread was an exercise in ironic humour. An appreciation of which is sadly lacking in many Americans today.

By the way since when does 43% constitute a majority...?

Upvote 0

Duggie

Oct 9, 2003
STEVENAGE
Visit site
✟892.00
Faith
Christian
There is a silent majority who actually support Bush/blair and have no issue with Bush's visit to our shores. My question to all these protesters would simply be where were you when Saddam was murdering all those people? I can't remember seeing tens of thousands of protesters on the streets of London making their voice heard for the Kurdish people Saddam slaughtered.

It's just blantant hypocrisy!!!

Upvote 0

alonesoldier

Senior Veteran
Dec 30, 2002
✟3,405.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
As you can tell by my Nixon quote, I for one believe in the great silent majority, who work hard and pay their taxes and who do not find it necessary to march against the liberation of 25 million people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Duggie

Oct 9, 2003
STEVENAGE
Visit site
✟892.00
Faith
Christian
Silvio Dante said:
What about the oppressed in Zimbabwe, Sudan, parts of Nigeria. Oops I forgot thats Africa. Doesn't count in the eyes of the 'Silent majority'....:rolleyes:
My point exactly!!! but surely your not making comparisions between Mugabe and Bush, are you? Where are the protesters in regard to Zimbabwe? Instead of protesting against a president who has removed a tyrant who systematically tortured and murdered his own people. Why are you not on the streets protesting against a regime that is guilty of all the above, including mass starvation. Robert Mugabe seems to have no visible opposition in either Europe or North America!!! Those who protest Bush are certainly silent:(

Upvote 0

alonesoldier

Senior Veteran
Dec 30, 2002
✟3,405.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So far the protest have been very small and President Bush is recieving royal treatment. Tomorrow comes the real test, between 60,000 and 100,000 are expected to take to the streets. Some here on this board say the number will be over 2 million where as only 750,000 showed up to protest the actual war last march. Can't wait to see how it goes down. Gotta love free speech.

Upvote 0

alonesoldier

Senior Veteran
Dec 30, 2002
✟3,405.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Looks like only 35 thousand people showed up for the big march, which is 15 thousand less than the expected 60 thousand and 65 thousand short of the best estimate of 100 thousand and a mere millions short of constituting ‘millions and millions’ as the original post predicted. In fact according to a poll in the liberal guardian most people in the UK welcomed our President. Mean time these 35 thousand protesters toppled an effigie of President Bush, burned U.S and UK flags and shouted and chanted for anarchy.

A noted author has sent a letter to the Guardian which was put in print today, this is what he had to say.

Frederick Forsyth:

Dear Mr President,

Today you arrive in my country for the first state visit by an American president for many decades, and I bid you welcome.

You will find yourself assailed on every hand by some pretty pretentious characters collectively known as the British left. They traditionally believe they have a monopoly on morality and that your recent actions preclude you from the club. You opposed and destroyed the world's most blood-encrusted dictator. This is quite unforgivable.

I beg you to take no notice. The British left intermittently erupts like a pustule upon the buttock of a rather good country. Seventy years ago it opposed mobilisation against Adolf Hitler and worshipped the other genocide, Josef Stalin.

It has marched for Mao, Ho Chi Minh, Khrushchev, Brezhnev and Andropov. It has slobbered over Ceausescu and Mugabe. It has demonstrated against everything and everyone American for a century. Broadly speaking, it hates your country first, mine second.

Eleven years ago something dreadful happened. Maggie was ousted, Ronald retired, the Berlin wall fell and Gorby abolished communism. All the left's idols fell and its demons retired. For a decade there was nothing really to hate. But thank the Lord for his limitless mercy. Now they can applaud Saddam, Bin Laden, Kim Jong-Il... and hate a God-fearing Texan. So hallelujah and have a good time.

Frederick Forsyth
Novelist

Upvote 0

Silvio Dante

Nov 11, 2003
✟948.00
Faith
Catholic
There were well nigh on 1/4 of a million on the streets today. You don't fill trafalgar Square and the surrounding streets going back for over a mile with 35,000.

Considering it was a week day with many people in work I'd say it was pretty impressive.

Did the US networks show the protest and the felling of a mock Statue of Bush a la Saddam's statue in Baghdad...?

Upvote 0

alonesoldier

Senior Veteran
Dec 30, 2002
✟3,405.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yes they did, why else would I have mentioned it in the post. CNN, FOX News, MSNBC and BBC have estimated the crowd at 35,000. Polls indicate most people were pleased he was there. I think you should except the fact that your orignial assesment was wrong.

Perhaps now I go to far, but I would ask you to consider the possibility that people who burn their countries flag (the UK) and call for anarchy are not necessarily on the moral high ground. In fact the protest was an anti bush protest not an anti war protest, with beefs ranging from the enviornment to palestine. And 35,000 was all they could muster.

Upvote 0