Manila
✟34,975.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Is this normal? Sometimes I study too much the Bible... not just reading, like watching sermon, theology, or any as long as about the Lord... I get burnout, or just that's really the measure of my Faith?

When I'm feeling that, I'm craving to play games, or watch a movie... or it's just I'm looking for a pause for a moment because of overload information?

truthisfreedom2019

Feb 28, 2019
Chetwynd
✟160,695.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ecclesiastes 12:12-14 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
12 But beyond this, my son, be warned: the writing of many books is endless, and excessive devotion to books is wearying to the body. 13 The conclusion, when all has been heard, is: fear God and keep His commandments, because this applies to every person. 14 For God will bring every act to judgment, everything which is hidden, whether it is good or evil.
Go out in the sunshine. Enjoy that which God has made. Walk and talk with him. Share that which you know with others.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,934,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @Aldrin25, we can overdo anything, including Bible Study. We are to practice the presence of God 24/7 .. e.g. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18, but to study the Bible w/o ceasing(?), I'm not sure that's possible to do w/o burnout (or that it's even advisable .. then again, it is ~very~ important to do regularly each day: Joshua 1:8, Psalms 1:1-3, 119:9-11, 105, 2 Timothy 3:16-17).

Wasn't it David who placed "Selahs" in a number of his Psalms? IOW, we can only take in so much information and once we have, we need to take time to consider it (chew on it, so to speak, via "Christian" meditation) before we stuff our minds full of new information.

Here's something else to consider, do you have an ~outlet~ for all the things you are learning? Dr. MacArthur, who logged 5,500 hours of study time on Matthew alone (for all of his many sermons on Matthew, as well his 4 commentaries), said that he probably wouldn't have been able to put in more than a just few hours of study time (rather than thousands of hours) if he did not have a regular outlet for all of the things he was learning.

Most of us do not have the opportunity to share what we've learned in weekly sermons, broadcast lectures, teaching Bible Study classes, etc., like Dr. MacArthur does, but we do have witnessing, apologetics, evangelism and fellowship opportunities (our church, family and friends, small group Bible studies) as well CFcom, of course :) So, why not get creative and figure out new/additional ways to start to be more of a blessing to others by sharing what you are learning with them, even a small part of it, as the Lord leads you? I think you'll probably end up feeling that 'you' are the recipient of the greater blessing however .. cf Isaiah 43:10 :oldthumbsup:

As for practicing the presence of God 24/7, when you see something cool or beautiful in a movie, praise Him for it. Or if you are having fun playing a video game, thank Him for your health, your friends, and/or for the opportunities and wealth that He has provided you with that allows you to have the fun you are having, etc. You can, in fact, praise Him and thank Him for (literally) EVERYTHING .. Romans 8:28.

God bless you!

--David
p.s. - you might also consider taking time to study a single verse or passage deeply, rather than always looking at larger portions of the Holy Writ and continually moving on to new portions of the Text. Take a verse like John 5:24 for instance. There seems to be no end to what it has to say/what we can learn from that one verse. BTW, Scripture memorization is extremely helpful with this approach to Bible study (and you can consider/study your verses/passages whenever/wherever you are).

Last edited:
Reactions: Aldrin25
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is this normal? Sometimes I study too much the Bible... not just reading, like watching sermon, theology, or any as long as about the Lord... I get burnout, or just that's really the measure of my Faith?

When I'm feeling that, I'm craving to play games, or watch a movie... or it's just I'm looking for a pause for a moment because of overload information?
I studied Roman tax law to try to learn about Matthew’s job. I studied the Talmud to try to get perspective on Jewish daily life during the time of Jesus. I studied geography of the Holy Land to try to learn Gospel journeys. Ancient Near Eastern history, archaeology and Egyptology helped my Old Testament perspectives. Several of the ten commandments were recorded in various editions of the Egyptian Book of the Dead before the Bible was written. I studied Eusebius to learn early church history. Revival videos increased my faith. Geology studies helped me learn science is truth. Vegan/pescatarian studies increased my health.

• Useful
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,698,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you so much guys. I hope I will get more answers here.
I think we all need time to process the info. I tend to take short breaks by reading something more light. Then I go back to study. It’s okay to break with TV or whatever in downtime as long as it’s not something vile or whatever.

• Agree
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

What your describing is very normal. And I also believe that the kind of pressure that forbids Christians from doing some of those past times comes from an a very unhealthy ideology. We were created to experience joy and life. Their are some groups and leaders that do not realize this and preach hyperspirituality to their followers, but this message itself contradicts other messages of the Bible about peace, joy and living a balanced life.

I also think some Christian leaders are narcissistic. I for instance can spend a lot of time studying the Bible, Christian history, theology etc. because those kind of things are in my wheel house or part of personality orientation/ spiritual gifts. But many times people assume that everybody should be like them and preach that sort of thing. If you are a fan of the Myers Briggs Personality Inventory their is a phenomenon called the Pygmalion Project where people tend to want to shape people around them according to their own personality or the one their culture values.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tony B

Oct 7, 2018
Tin Can Bay, Queensland
✟28,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

We need to strike a balance Aldrin. If we go to extremes in either direction we run out of balance. In my opinion we need to bear in mind Jesus’ words that we should look to wear His yolk, which is light and easy to carry.

It’s also possible for us to become spiritually obese.... we need to get out and share our spiritual knowledge with fellow believers and others, and exercise our new understanding. Face to face social fellowship with other Christians helps us learn, exercise, and achieve a balance, would you agree? :holy:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums