• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Burn out taking care of someone with Bi-polar and schizophrenia.

Johnboy60

Looking For Interesting News.
Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've been taking care of this lady for two years and now I can't take it no more because of the mood swings and she always wanting to kill herself. The local mental hospitals will only keep her for seven days and that all. She's been in eight hospitals for her conditions in last five years after her husband died from Cancer. Her family and friend's don't want her.

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟675,211.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Being a caregiver is not easy and it is common to get burned out. Remember you have to take care of yourself first, or you won't do anyone good in the long run. HERE is a resource for caregivers, that you might find helpful. Praying for you.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Johnboy60
Upvote 0

Johnboy60

Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm still taking care of this woman with Bi-polar. Now we have joined the Planet Fitness to try to burn off her lots of energy and she's 68 years old. She would have been on the street homeless if I didn't take her in.

Upvote 0

hope faith love

****LOVE****
Dec 29, 2019
SYLACAUGA
✟15,012.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Divorced
being bipolar 1 myself i will admit our emotions can become unstable as we go from high and nose dive straight into depression , sometimes i go thru a rapid cycling of all my emotions following one behind the other constantly and i've compared it to being on a emotional rollor coaster ... i noticed over the years my enviroment resulted in what i experienced there are lots of triggers that set the bp disorder off in directions and results in eposodes and way a bipolar person reacts on most occassions ... with me i have to figure out ways to clear or replace the rapid cycling thought process .. 1 thing i did that helped was completely stopping watching tv because things i saw in movies shows and even news triggered my episodes a great deal then i took the step to change over to music but quickly realized i have to also be careful of what songs i listen to because some songs trigger mental illness episodes too so i finally Got to the point of using relaxing or calming songs or music then i added uplifting scriptures to it and for the most part between these things along with my medications and regular counceling sessions im doing really God at the moment ... honestly i had to figure out thru trial and error and many differant approaches before i was able to become to a point of peace and calmness in my mind and spirit and the main thing i realized during the process was balancing the right amount of sleep and having my dr to put me on sleep meds cause i went 1 point 6 straight weeks without sleep and that was when i wound in the mental ward for the first time i had to go into the hospital because parinoia with my bipolar disorder made me too scared to sleep i also figured out other oulet that helped to ex coloring , and drawing it helped my mind focus so much i stopped focusing on the thought and feelings i was experiencing ... i still have the disorder its cause by a chemical balance in the brain and from time to time i still experience episodes but the best outlet i found was having someone to talk to about everything i was going thru *** hope this info helps anyone needing encouragement

Upvote 0

Cross Over the Lake

Jan 12, 2020
Lake Havasu City
✟17,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Republican
I've been taking care of this lady for two years and now I can't take it no more because of the mood swings and she always wanting to kill herself. The local mental hospitals will only keep her for seven days and that all. She's been in eight hospitals for her conditions in last five years after her husband died from Cancer. Her family and friend's don't want her.

It’s amazing how much schizophrenia is mentions on this site. Didn’t realize it was so common. I’ve been a certified nursing assistant for going on 8 years, so I definitely know how you are feeling when it comes to burn out. Is there any way the person you take care of can go to respite to give you a break? When was the last time you had a break and for how long? Just the seven days?

Upvote 0

Johnboy60

Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It’s amazing how much schizophrenia is mentions on this site. Didn’t realize it was so common. I’ve been a certified nursing assistant for going on 8 years, so I definitely know how you are feeling when it comes to burn out. Is there any way the person you take care of can go to respite to give you a break? When was the last time you had a break and for how long? Just the seven days?

It was only seven days.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist

Being a caregiver is not easy and it is common to get burned out. Remember you have to take care of yourself first, or you won't do anyone good in the long run. HERE is a resource for caregivers, that you might find helpful. Praying for you.

I'm still taking care of this woman with Bi-polar. Now we have joined the Planet Fitness to try to burn off her lots of energy and she's 68 years old. She would have been on the street homeless if I didn't take her in.
It was not for bipolar, but for other health concerns, I took care of someone for years with almost no help from family, friends, churches or government. Finally, always searching, I started calling the local support groups to find out how care providers survived when they had no resources or relief .... unexpectedly and thankfully one of them provided knowledge of what tests to ask for, and what to tell the doctors ..... in just five minutes or so on the phone they provided an accurate diagnosis/assessment, and practical and true knowledge from their own experience (and others in the support group likewise, in common) of what to do, what to ask for (concerning tests), and how to proceed.... this helped tremendously at just the right time ..... finding a group of those who have recovered might be the most exciting and most rewarding time , very joyful and a humongous relief for all involved.... as it was for us, and others likewise helped by finding out from others who had so to speak "been sifted...." as Scripture says someplace....

• Informative
Upvote 0

Starnchrist

Queen_E Formerly Soldier <3
Jul 7, 2010
New York
✟12,690.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I was recently diagnosed with Bipolar disorder and all I can say on her behalf is, don't give up on her. Atleast keep trying as you have done so far. I know It's not easy, but there has to be some kind of relief. Maybe there are programs out there that can help you. Try googling for something that will help take care of her and give you some form of relief. I know it's not easy and I applaud youre selfless effort in taking her in when no one else wanted to. I hope you hang in there.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟418,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know a guy who is bi polar. He calls me and vents. I don’t mind because I’m getting a pretty thick skin. I don’t know what to do for him so I listen. He wants affirmation so I give him some. He wants me to agree with him so I try to ground him. Blessingly he can take care of himself. I don’t mind being this to him he is kind of a friend. At church everybody talks kindly with him and likes him. But I have my moments! I wish I could help him more and I’m kind of afraid for his status as a Christian. He has a hard life with his family so needs to vent. He is a Christian and goes to service but doesn’t seem to get it in his life. Though he is new and he can’t take much correction. I guess he just needs more time. Any comments, advice or anything?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums