Burke Casts Himself as Saintly and Francis as a Heretic in a Sermon to SSPX Members

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Link:

Cardinal Burke extols saint who condemned heretic bishop

Cardinal Burke is out of control.

Never before has the phrase "Pride goeth before the fall" seemed so aptly applied to a Cardinal.

How long do you think it's going to be before this guy becomes an out and out Anti-Pope or formally joins forces with the SSPX?

He's lost all semblance of balance.

It may be time to formally issue an edict from the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith forbidding him from "teaching".

I remember warning people about him at least as far back as 2004. I'd like to think he'll reconcile himself to the Church, but he seems to be drifting further and further away, and getting more and more combative. I think Pope Francis may need to act more strongly against him as a damage mitigation measure so that the Cardinal doesn't ferment dissent for as long as he can and do something formally schismatic on a timetable that works the best for the Cardinal and allows him to bring the most people with him. My feeling is that it would be best for the Vatican to act now before his movement grows too big to handle.

• Haha
Reactions: Michie

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Burke said that in the face of falsehood — even from those of high ecclesial rank — the necessary response of "St. Cyril and of all the faithful in every time and place" is to resist.
I may be wrong but I read this as a disguised insult to Pope Francis.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
My feeling is that it would be best for the Vatican to act now before his movement grows too big to handle.
I trust your perspective on this is not too biased FaB? :)
But Burke does seem to be trying to sabotage the influence of Francis. A shame really.

• Agree
Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Can the more informed people on this thread comment about what I've heard, that in the recent past (30+ years ago) this sort of thing was way less likely? That is, the Cardinals were much more compliant?

• Agree
Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Clergy of the Church have even spoken against it. This is outright slander but you are free to believe what you choose.
I respect David's opinion of course but even he can be biased. He's only human.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
National Catholic Reporter= fake news with an agenda.

The term "fake news" was first widely used to refer to conservative sites that would simply make things up like "Pope Endorses Trump" that were completely without basis and that would jump to the top of most shared stories on Facebook anyway. Interviewers would sit down with the owners of the sites that had those stories, and the owners would admit that they made things up out of thin air to generate ad revenue. One even went so far as to say that he tried making up fake news to appeal to liberals, but he decided to stick with making up fake news to appeal to conservatives after seeing that liberals did not click on his sample stories in very large numbers, whereas conservatives were more gullible (His assessment, not mine).

Trump has attempted to claim the term "fake news" for himself and apply it to real journalists reporting accurately on real stories, as part of his ongoing effort to undermine any institutions that can stand up to him in this country, but I refuse to go along with his misappropriation of the term.

More to the point, the National Catholic Reporter is the United States' oldest Roman Catholic newspaper that is not operated by the Church directly (i.e. a newspaper of a religious order or a diocese) and instead practices independent journalism. It was around before, and will be around after, any other independent outlet you can cite that is based in the United States and devoted entirely to coverage of the Catholic Church. I have never seen anyone prove anything they've published has been inaccurate, but rather only that they disagree with opinions expressed in it's editorials, which of course is a far different matter than being wrong on the facts.

Upvote 0