United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
NewYorkTimes

Charges Against Bundys in Ranch Standoff Case Are Dismissed

09bundy-01-articleLarge.jpg

Members of the Bundy family and their supporters near Bunkerville, Nev., in April 2014. By KIRK JOHNSON

Jan. 8, 2018
A federal judge in Las Vegas dismissed charges against Cliven Bundy and his sons, Ammon and Ryan, on Monday.

Judge Gloria M. Navarro of Federal District Court, in a ruling from the bench, said that the government’s missteps in withholding evidence against the three Bundy family members and a supporter, Ryan W. Payne, were so grave that the indictment against them would be dismissed.

The decision could be appealed by prosecutors. But they would only be able to bring charges again if they won the appeal and the ruling was reversed — and they then got a new indictment from a new grand jury.

Judge Navarro declared a mistrial last month in the case, stemming from an armed standoff at the Bundy ranch in 2014 that had arisen over land-grazing fees. She said then that prosecutors had erred in failing to turn over important evidence to the defense, including video taken surreptitiously within the ranch during the standoff, and evidence that F.B.I. agents were involved in the incident.

The 2014 standoff, the focus of Monday’s hearing, was set off when the Bureau of Land Management seized cattle from Cliven Bundy’s ranch in Bunkerville, Nev., in an attempt to force him to pay decades of back fees for grazing his cattle on federal land. Mr. Bundy insisted he did not have to pay the charges because, he said, he had inherited water rights on the land. At the height of the standoff, hundreds of antigovernment activists, many of them carrying guns, rallied to the Bundys cause, until the confrontation ended with the withdrawal of federal agents.

Last edited:

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟92,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You know this is from January, right?
What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

5 months old, and a conservative victory against the liberal Obama Administration, don't ya like seeing that big flag waving, cowboy's on their horses riding?

Looks like freedom to me, what America is all about!

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,150,243.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Sounds like sour grapes from a person that lives in the UK, and has no interest in a great American conservative victory!
You posted a random story without comment. Interesting how the rule of law never seems to apply to the right. Great conservative victory if your an anarchist.

Upvote 0

Snappy1

Feb 19, 2018
Arkansas
✟30,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
It's an old story, that I'm pretty sure was already covered here when it happened. In January. Just making sure you're aware this isn't a new development.

5 months old, and a conservative victory against the liberal Obama Administration, don't ya like seeing that big flag waving, cowboy's on their horses riding?

No I don't.

Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
NewYorkTimes

Charges Against Bundys in Ranch Standoff Case Are Dismissed

09bundy-01-articleLarge.jpg

Members of the Bundy family and their supporters near Bunkerville, Nev., in April 2014. By KIRK JOHNSON

Jan. 8, 2018
A federal judge in Las Vegas dismissed charges against Cliven Bundy and his sons, Ammon and Ryan, on Monday.

Judge Gloria M. Navarro of Federal District Court, in a ruling from the bench, said that the government’s missteps in withholding evidence against the three Bundy family members and a supporter, Ryan W. Payne, were so grave that the indictment against them would be dismissed.

The decision could be appealed by prosecutors. But they would only be able to bring charges again if they won the appeal and the ruling was reversed — and they then got a new indictment from a new grand jury.

Judge Navarro declared a mistrial last month in the case, stemming from an armed standoff at the Bundy ranch in 2014 that had arisen over land-grazing fees. She said then that prosecutors had erred in failing to turn over important evidence to the defense, including video taken surreptitiously within the ranch during the standoff, and evidence that F.B.I. agents were involved in the incident.
I have one simple question.

Do you think that Clive Bundy should be held responsible for paying his grazing fees?

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟92,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have one simple question.

Do you think that Clive Bundy should be held responsible for paying his grazing fees?
His grazing rights go back in his family 1877 before the Federal Bureau Of Land Management, im not closely familiar with the case, but I do know Obama was flexing his muscle at the time, and he backed down.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
His grazing rights go back in his family 1877 before the Federal Bureau Of Land Management, im not closely familiar with the case, but I do know Obama was flexing his muscle at the time, and he backed down.

If you’re not familiar with the case why are you trumpeting about it being a conservative victory?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟92,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you’re not familiar with the case why are you trumping about it being a conservative victory?
I like the part where the bad guy's took the ranchers cattle, and the posse/malitia came in and the bad guy's let his cattle go, and rode away?

Pretty cool story, makes me think about John Wayne, Roy Rogers, and The Lone Ranger!

I just went and got my ole cap guns & holster out, it's howdy doody and buffalo bob time!

The 2014 standoff, the focus of Monday’s hearing, was set off when the Bureau of Land Management seized cattle from Cliven Bundy’s ranch in Bunkerville, Nev., in an attempt to force him to pay decades of back fees for grazing his cattle on federal land. Mr. Bundy insisted he did not have to pay the charges because, he said, he had inherited water rights on the land. At the height of the standoff, hundreds of antigovernment activists, many of them carrying guns, rallied to the Bundys cause, until the confrontation ended with the withdrawal of federal agents.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,150,243.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I like the part where the bad guy's took the ranchers cattle, and the posse/malitia came in and the bad guy's let his cattle go, and rode away?

Pretty cool story, makes me think about John Wayne, Roy Rogers, and The Lone Ranger!

I just went and got my ole cap guns & holster out, it's howdy doody and buffalo bob time!

“Bad guys?” If you don’t pay your bills....

If he believed he did not have to there is a place to challenge it, court.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,150,243.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Antigovernment activists, read anarchists.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Makes me think of people refusing to pay their bills and fighting the repo man when he shows up.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟92,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I don't believe the good guy's in government are pursuing the case any longer, if anything the bundy's might receieve settlement from the good guy's in government now for spending 1.5 years in jail on no information in discovery presented by the bad guys in government at the time.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,150,243.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I don't believe the good guy's in government are pursuing the case any longer, if anything the bundy's might receieve settlement from the good guy's in government now for spending 1.5 years in jail on no information in discovery presented by the bad guys in government at the time.
I repeat if you believe in law and order, you go to court. Yep the govt made a pigs ear out of what should have been a slam dunk case, but the Bundys response to the demand for decades of grazing fees was not the act of “good guys”.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,150,243.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
  • Winner
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I remember this story of how some white men, armed to the teeth with weapons, took over a bird sanctuary and threatened violence against federal agents. Not a surprise they got off. What a contrast how this situation was handled compared to the unarmed situation in Standing Rock last year.

Last edited:
Upvote 0