Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Do any of you keep a 'bucket list' of future things to do? Any suggestions?
Truly, though aware of the term, I haven’t really handed it the latitude as appropriate? Be it a little or a lot seems to stem from my feeling that the Christian precept is to live more for the immediate than “taking thought for the morrow”. Yet that doesn’t say plans shouldn’t be given place (Luke 14:28).

“Therefore, salt is good, , “

Luke 14:34​

Maybe, we stir-the-pot too aggressively at times. :)

Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟988,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD,
"plans to prosper you and not to harm you,
plans to give you hope and a future.

Jeremiah 29:11​

Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I would like my strength back, after a bad dose of flu 2 years ago and a week in bed I have never returned to normal.
I ask the Lord to direct me to renew my strength 'as the eagles'
:)

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I would like my strength back, after a bad dose of flu 2 years ago and a week in bed I have never returned to normal.
:)
I pray also for you and myself and others for renewed health!

Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟988,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I pray also for you and myself and others for renewed health!
Asking the Lord to enable our faith and extinguish doubt for these and every last need on this forum, Have mercy Lord Jesus on your people, you know our hearts Lord and conscience undeterred for the accord found in the unity of the Spirit as we gather to mount that faith in one request for these few with your seal Lord. Amen!

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟777,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I don't really know what the future holds. I do know that God will take care of all my needs as he has faithfully done in the past.
I've often considered doing something for my next major birthday, such as a flying lesson. I spend a lot of time playing with flight simulators and it would be nice to do the real thing! We'll see!
I am currently pondering over whether in the future I am being led to serve in a Christian community, not in the First Order, but as a tertiary. I am waiting for direction on that one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Truly, though aware of the term, I haven’t really handed it the latitude as appropriate. Be it a little or a lot seems to stem from my feeling that the Christian precept is to live more for the immediate than “taking thought for the morrow”. Yet that doesn’t say plans shouldn’t be given place (Luke 14:28).

The Bible does not say we should never make future plans. Jesus said, "Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will care for itself." But that is not the same as saying, "Only think about what you do today." It is perfectly fine to have a bucket list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: quietbloke
Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟988,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
“Therefore, salt is good, , “

Luke 14:34
‘Salt therefore is good, connecting this verse with what has gone before.
This similitude was thrice used by Christ with different applications.’
- Perowne
The Bible does not say we should never make future plans. Jesus said, "Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will care for itself." But that is not the same as saying, "Only think about what you do today." It is perfectly fine to have a bucket list.
You’re leaving Jesus’ word (Luke 14:34) on competent, steadfast planning a bit unprotected

A bucket list must incorporate humility in recognition of a faithful Creator.

Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, and spend a year there and engage in business and make a profit.” Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away. Instead, you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we will live and also do this or that.” But as it is, you boast in your arrogance; all such boasting is evil.

(James 4::13-16)​

I happen to like some of the older translations choice of wording there,

Solomon determined to build a house

Paul had determined to sail by Ephesus

I have determined there to winter.

Then the disciples, , determined to send relief unto the brethren

Barnabas determined to take with them John

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes, I have one. I broke down my calling into small steps and included all I wanted to accomplish through my work for Him. I call it my vision and its derived from this text:

And the LORD answered me: “Write the vision; make it plain on tablets, so he may run who reads it. For still the vision awaits its appointed time; it hastens to the end—it will not lie. If it seems slow, wait for it; it will surely come; it will not delay. —Habakkuk 2:2-3

I took the vision and turned it into bite sized affirmations. I pray over each and pursue five at a time until they’re attained then move on to others.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I have one. I broke down my calling into small steps and included all I wanted to accomplish through my work for Him. I call it my vision and its derived from this text:

And the LORD answered me: “Write the vision; make it plain on tablets, so he may run who reads it. For still the vision awaits its appointed time; it hastens to the end—it will not lie. If it seems slow, wait for it; it will surely come; it will not delay. —Habakkuk 2:2-3

I took the vision and turned it into bite sized affirmations. I pray over each and pursue five at a time until they’re attained then move on to others.
Such a helpful post,'LaBella'

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Such a helpful post,'LaBella'

Thank you for the kind words. :)

If others are interested in creating a list, I recommend the Warren Buffett approach to goal setting. You choose 25 things you want to accomplish. Select five to focus on. As you achieve them add another item from your list. Its meant to narrow your focus and keep you on track.

Take your five items and apply the principles of the 12 Week Year. He demonstrates how to pursue goals in weekly increments. The system emphasizes structure, realistic timeframes, and accountability. The book is really good.

And here’s a verse for your efforts:

Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men. —Colossians 3:23

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for the kind words. :)

If others are interested in creating a list, I recommend the Warren Buffett approach to goal setting. You choose 25 things you want to accomplish. Select five to focus on. As you achieve them add another item from your list. Its meant to narrow your focus and keep you on track.

Take your five items and apply the principles of the 12 Week Year. He demonstrates how to pursue goals in weekly increments. The system emphasizes structure, realistic timeframes, and accountability. The book is really good.

And here’s a verse for your efforts:

Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men. —Colossians 3:23
So helpful and practical!

• Friendly
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0