✟27,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

Proverbs 2:9-15-9-15 The Message (MSG)

So now you can pick out what’s true and fair, find all the good trails! Lady Wisdom will be your close friend, and Brother Knowledge your pleasant companion. Good Sense will scout ahead for danger, Insight will keep an eye out for you.
Genesis 1 | MSG Bible | YouVersion
What do you think about brother knowledge? Is he real? Do you interact with him? What's he like? I think I am experiencing him right now. I asked him to show me something, and he did!

So what are your thoughts?
Looks like the passage is saying if you have wisdom and knowledge, your good sense will keep you out of trouble.

The context of the proverb is the teachings and a life spent applying them, and applying what you learned from applying them.

Reactions: sandman
Upvote 0

Nick01

Jul 31, 2020
Chattanooga
✟27,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Looks like the passage is saying if you have wisdom and knowledge, your good sense will keep you out of trouble.

The context of the proverb is the teachings and a life spent applying them, and applying what you learned from applying them.
is brother knowledge a real person?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
is brother knowledge a real person?
I don't think it's part of the trinity. Solomon didn't know about that. He had all manner of earthly knowledge, but his lack of spiritual knowledge resulted in depression and idolatry later on in life.

Upvote 0

YeshuaFollower

Veritas vos liberabit
Dec 6, 2022
eastern townships, Quebec
✟17,234.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

So now you can pick out what’s true and fair, find all the good trails! Lady Wisdom will be your close friend, and Brother Knowledge your pleasant companion. Good Sense will scout ahead for danger, Insight will keep an eye out for you.
What do you think about brother knowledge? Is he real? Do you interact with him? What's he like? I think I am experiencing him right now. I asked him to show me something, and he did!

I do not think they are real people, they simply represent wisdom and knowledge simply written in a poetic way, Our heavenly father can give us wisdom and knowledge through his HOLY SPIRT according to his will if we ask.

JFF

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You are using The Message translation which corrupts scripture. There is no such thing as brother knowledge or lady wisdom.

NKJV Proverbs 2:9-15

Then you will understand righteousness and justice,
Equity and every good path.
10 When wisdom enters your heart,
And knowledge is pleasant to your soul,
11 Discretion will preserve you;
Understanding will keep you,
12 To deliver you from the way of evil,
From the man who speaks perverse things,
13 From those who leave the paths of uprightness
To walk in the ways of darkness;
14 Who rejoice in doing evil,
And delight in the perversity of the wicked;
15 Whose ways are crooked,
And who are devious in their paths;

Upvote 0

By_the_Book

Life lived by the Bible is life worth living.
Jul 25, 2022
St. Augustine
Visit site
✟30,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

I've been doing postings about the Book of Proverbs, verse by verse, on a blog that I write. This passage was covered quite some time ago but if you go to the archives Proverbs 2 is easily found - www.ThoughtTidbitsFromGod.org

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
You are using The Message translation which corrupts scripture. There is no such thing as brother knowledge or lady wisdom.

NKJV Proverbs 2:9-15

Then you will understand righteousness and justice,
Equity and every good path.
10 When wisdom enters your heart,
And knowledge is pleasant to your soul,
11 Discretion will preserve you;
Understanding will keep you,
12 To deliver you from the way of evil,
From the man who speaks perverse things,
13 From those who leave the paths of uprightness
To walk in the ways of darkness;
14 Who rejoice in doing evil,
And delight in the perversity of the wicked;
15 Whose ways are crooked,
And who are devious in their paths;

In the case of wisdom we have Proverbs ch. 8. And elsewhere in Jewish wisdom literature. In the works of the Jewish philosopher Philo of Alexandria this led to a confluence of Wisdom and the Logos, and Christianity somewhat adopted. In Christianity this was further amplified by, for example, St. Paul where he says that Christ is God's power and wisdom.

The early fathers of the Church at times spoke of Christ as God's wisdom (though, in at least some cases, wisdom is identified with the Holy Spirit). The most famous church in Constantinople, Hagia Sophia ("Holy Wisdom") is called this as a reference to Jesus Christ as Himself being Holy Wisdom. That as the Logos He is Divine Wisdom Himself.

However, I am unaware of the personification of knowledge in Jewish Wisdom Literature or anywhere in Christian tradition.

And looking at the Hebrew, and even the Greek of the LXX, I can't find anything to support "Brother Knowledge" as a reading whatsoever. It appears to be the author of the Message's own poetic license and nothing else. While "lady wisdom" could be justified poetically on the basis of the personification of wisdom elsewhere in Proverbs (though not here in chapter 2:10), no such justification exists for a "brother knowledge".

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,180,783.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

My thoughts are you should get yourself a Bible that isn't a paraphrase. There are many good English translations available.

Reactions: ViaCrucis
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums