Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I've got no issue with this; however, I have to wonder how these same folks would react to "Bring your Quran to School Day".
I did bring my Bible to school, back when I was in high school as an assertion of my religious freedom. Yes, it was a secular public school. I could have no problem with other students bringing a Quran, which hits a little closer to the truth than the Darwinian bibles (textbooks) that everyone else was toting to class. I always support the students' right to maintain beliefs contrary to those of the teacher. It's healthy, and we need people who don't just sit there and have their ideas spoon-fed to them.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Exactly! but I guess it could work because it would make sense to bring a Christian bible to a Christian school. Than to bring a quran to a Christian school.
This day has been an event for at least four years. It's not just for Christian schools, it's all schools nationwide.

Upvote 0

SaintCody777

The young, curious Berean
Jan 11, 2018
Miami, Florida
✟53,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I have that day marked on my calendar. I bring my NKJV pocket Bible to a liberal leaning university not just on "Bring your Bible to School Day" but everyday.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have that day marked on my calendar. I bring my NKJV pocket Bible to a liberal leaning university not just on "Bring your Bible to School Day" but everyday.
Why do you bring it? Do you have breaks in between class where you have free time to read it, and actually read it? Or it is a display of your religion?

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I did bring my Bible to school, back when I was in high school as an assertion of my religious freedom. Yes, it was a secular public school. I could have no problem with other students bringing a Quran, which hits a little closer to the truth than the Darwinian bibles (textbooks) that everyone else was toting to class. I always support the students' right to maintain beliefs contrary to those of the teacher. It's healthy, and we need people who don't just sit there and have their ideas spoon-fed to them.
what’s a Darwinian bible ? Science Textbooks teach summarized lessons on what scientists have already learned about nature? If you want to learn science you have to have at least a working understanding of older research and what it has already figured out.

PS no one cares what Darwin said. his research is old enough to get just a brief summary in middle and high school. That’s not studying evolution, as evolution is a multidisciplinary graduate level field.

.( I swear I don’t understand creationists at all)

Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
  • Agree
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Augustine seemed to think if we are mature in the faith we wouldn't even need a bible.

"And thus a man who is resting upon faith, hope and love, and who keeps a firm hold upon these, does not need the Scriptures except for the purpose of instructing others. Accordingly, many live without copies of the Scriptures, even in solitude, on the strength of these three graces" Augustine from (De doctrina Christiana Book I, Ch. 39 "He who is mature in faith hope and love, needs Scripture no longer").

I am sure that is a wild thought to some. But, many of us have so much scripture in memory that we could probably do fine without them if the situation ever arose where we had no access.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Augustine seemed to think if we are mature in the faith we wouldn't even need a bible.

"And thus a man who is resting upon faith, hope and love, and who keeps a firm hold upon these, does not need the Scriptures except for the purpose of instructing others. Accordingly, many live without copies of the Scriptures, even in solitude, on the strength of these three graces" Augustine from (De doctrina Christiana Book I, Ch. 39 "He who is mature in faith hope and love, needs Scripture no longer").

I am sure that is a wild thought to some. But, many of us have so much scripture in memory that we could probably do fine without them if the situation ever arose where we had no access.
Augustine? He was a 4th-5th Century Christian theologian, right? That was a long, long time before scriptures were mass produced and were available to common people.

There was likely a practical reason why he said that, the masses couldn't possess a copy anyway and most people likely couldn't read it if they did possess it.

However...for those who actually follow Jesus' teachings, it is important to understand that Jesus did NOT issue a book of Scripture for people to study. He issued -two- commandments for people to follow. And they were short and succinct.

As a follow-up to that final statement of Augustine you quoted, -I- think it is important to remember Paul's discussion on the issue of faith, hope and love...."The best of the three is love."

Today, far too many Christians order those three things differently than Paul did. They actually think the words are listed in the order of importance.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Augustine? He was a 4th-5th Century Christian theologian, right? That was a long, long time before scriptures were mass produced and were available to common people.

There was likely a practical reason why he said that, the masses couldn't possess a copy anyway and most people likely couldn't read it if they did possess it.

However...for those who actually follow Jesus' teachings, it is important to understand that Jesus did NOT issue a book of Scripture for people to study. He issued -two- commandments for people to follow. And they were short and succinct.

As a follow-up to that final statement of Augustine you quoted, -I- think it is important to remember Paul's discussion on the issue of faith, hope and love...."The best of the three is love."

Today, far too many Christians order those three things differently than Paul did. They actually think the words are listed in the order of importance.

I appreciate your remarks. I posted the Augustine quote in reference to the OP. I take it "Bring Your Bible to School Day" is a way of making a point. We might assume it is a celebration of religious freedom. But, I tend to doubt that.

Per the OP article the point is, "Bringing their personal Bibles to school and initiating conversations about how God’s love has changed their lives." So, it is not about religious freedom, but about a Christian's freedom to proselytize in school. As a Christian, I have no issue with Christians sharing their faith. But I am certain some Christians would be very uncomfortable with a similar day for others to share their respective faith with their children. I mean, do Christian parents want their children to be proselytized by a Muslim or a Hindu? I doubt it.

Either we allow every school age child to have a day to share their faith (whatever that faith might be) openly and honestly at school, or we don't allow anyone to have a special faith day. Is there a different way? I am open to suggestions.

I was hoping the Augustine quote would remind us of a simple fact about our faith. We can carry a bible and talk about our faith all we want to, but the true witness of our faith will be in how we live it out, especially in relation to those who don't share that same faith. If we seek privileges (rights?) for ourselves that we are unwilling to extend to others, what does that say about our faith, our love?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Jim Daly: It’s Bring Your Bible to School Day – A celebration of religious freedom and God’s love

I've got no issue with this; however, I have to wonder how these same folks would react to "Bring your Quran to School Day".
This came to my attention via facebook memes posted by the same people who posted ones demanding that people be disqualified from holding office due to being muslim, unironically demanding that people abide by the constitution in the same post, so in a number of cases I don't have to wonder.

Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
I appreciate your remarks. I posted the Augustine quote in reference to the OP. I take it "Bring Your Bible to School Day" is a way of making a point. We might assume it is a celebration of religious freedom. But, I tend to doubt that.

Per the OP article the point is, "Bringing their personal Bibles to school and initiating conversations about how God’s love has changed their lives." So, it is not about religious freedom, but about a Christian's freedom to proselytize in school. As a Christian, I have no issue with Christians sharing their faith. But I am certain some Christians would be very uncomfortable with a similar day for others to share their respective faith with their children. I mean, do Christian parents want their children to be proselytized by a Muslim or a Hindu? I doubt it.

Either we allow every school age child to have a day to share their faith (whatever that faith might be) openly and honestly at school, or we don't allow anyone to have a special faith day. Is there a different way? I am open to suggestions.

I was hoping the Augustine quote would reminds us of a simple fact about our faith. We can carry a bible and talk about our faith all we want to, but the true witness of our faith will be in how we live it out, especially in relation to those who don't share that same faith. If we seek privileges (rights?) for ourselves that we are unwilling to extend to others, what does that say about our faith, our love?

I agree with what you say. I think that how people live their lives is the most powerful testimony to their spiritual beliefs. I recall reading someplace that Justin Martyr is reported to have said that after watching Christian after Christian displaying absolute peace while facing death on the Colosseum floor, he felt compelled to learn about the faith which gave them such peace at the time of their death.

Far too many Christians today think they can threaten, brow beat, trick or otherwise coerce non-Christians into joining their religion when the most powerful tool they have is simply living the life Jesus both demonstrated and taught.

The joy of living the life of self-sacrificing love for everyone whether they deserve it or not is the only thing necessary for a Christian to testify to the power of God's Love for all.

As Paul also said, "So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I’m bankrupt without love." A whole lot of Christians are bankrupt in today's world.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Per the OP article the point is, "Bringing their personal Bibles to school and initiating conversations about how God’s love has changed their lives." So, it is not about religious freedom, but about a Christian's freedom to proselytize in school.
Religious freedom is about being able to observe and do the precepts of one's religion without hindrance. A major precept of Christianity is to spread the Gospel.
Mark 16.
Matt 28

I was hoping the Augustine quote would remind us of a simple fact about our faith. We can carry a bible and talk about our faith all we want to, but the true witness of our faith will be in how we live it out, especially in relation to those who don't share that same faith. If we seek privileges (rights?) for ourselves that we are unwilling to extend to others, what does that say about our faith, our love?
Perhaps you quoted the wrong church father. I believe it was St Francis of Asisi who said "Preach the gospel at all times. Use words only if you have to."

• Useful
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Religious freedom is about being able to observe and do the precepts of one's religion without hindrance.

No, it isn't.
Religious freedom is about being able to observe and do the precepts of one's religion without hindrance to the point it does not infringe on other people.

Your right to swing your fist ends at the tip of my nose.

A major precept of Christianity is to spread the Gospel.

Irrelevant. A major precept of Islam is to publicly blast out the call to prayer every few hours.

• Winner
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,139.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I brought a copy of Dianetics to school. I think I was a junior in high school. I'd heard about Scientology on the radio. Even at age 16, I was already very skeptical of all religions. And this "church" sounded especially weird. But when I found a copy of Hubbard's book at a used book shop, I thought it might be worth a dollar to learn what all the hoopla was about. I was going to start reading it during study hall. I couldn't make it past page 3. It was an unintelligible muddle of pseudo-intellectual jibber jabber about "engrams," and other supposedly toxic mental states. One of the few books I can honestly say is unreadable. And I wasted a dollar. Which in 1967, was probably equivalent to $8 today.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,545.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Religious freedom is about being able to observe and do the precepts of one's religion without hindrance. A major precept of Christianity is to spread the Gospel.
Mark 16.
Matt 28

Perhaps you quoted the wrong church father. I believe it was St Francis of Asisi who said "Preach the gospel at all times. Use words only if you have to."

And a major precept of many native American religions involves peyote or other drug use. Yet there has never been a bring your peyote to school day.

Personally I am getting tired of Christians invading my peace by trying to spread their faith by knocking on my door. Some day I'll cease being polite and I'd sure those same Christians will insist that I am evil.

Reactions: MissRowy
Upvote 0

MissRowy

Ms Snarky
Site Supporter
Oct 31, 2012
Western Sydney
✟250,212.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Labor
Personally I am getting tired of Christians invading my peace by trying to spread their faith by knocking on my door. Some day I'll cease being polite and I'd sure those same Christians will insist that I am evil.

I left the Campus Bible Ministries at uni for the same reasons...they were trying to push Christianity onto people who did not want it. Also I found them very one-sided on certain issues.
Also I am over being polite. If they try to push their religion onto me they'll meet about 20kg of wood in their face

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Also I am over being polite. If they try to push their religion onto me they'll meet about 20kg of wood in their face

Going about daily life with a fencepost in your kit must build some serious muscle mass.

Upvote 0