Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
This i find hard to take on board. All the passages and references about the Bride. It unsettles and confuses me. I would value some guidance on this comparison please.
I think it alludes to the relationship of The Church and Christ. How should i think of all this in terms of prayer and my personal relationship with Jesus Christ?

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This i find hard to take on board. All the passages and references about the Bride. It unsettles and confuses me. I would value some guidance on this comparison please.
I think it alludes to the relationship of The Church and Christ. How should i think of all this in terms of prayer and my personal relationship with Jesus Christ?

Throughout the old testament Israel, and specifically Jerusalem, is considered to be God's wife. He even divorced her once for infidelity. It's the reason Jerusalem is called "the harlot".

But it is not quite the same as we consider marriage as a whole. It is not a physical or sexual relationship or anything of the sort. It is a covenental relationship the only analogy we have to describe it is marriage. Each one promises to the other a pledge and the two become one.

Sometimes when I read that I get a little creeped out by it but it is caused only by our first impression of marriage. That is marriage as a physical relationship rather than a spiritual joining of the two.

Upvote 0

GaveMeJoy

Nov 28, 2019
San diego
✟41,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Hello,
Is the part of the metaphor that doesn’t play well for you related to like gender dynamics? Or why is it particularly weird for you etc?

For me when I read these verses I see a sacrificial love and headship emphasis, not anything related to like gender or marriage outside of that.

Also marriage was very different when these verses were written, which might be relevant. Marriage was much more about commitment, headship than like romantic love type things.

Reactions: Grace2022
Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The day in which all of the redeemed are finally gathered with Christ in the new age is referred to in Revelation 19 as, the marriage of the Lamb.
Jesus is the Lamb Who sacrificed Himself for the church so that He might win us to Himself. Imagine a man whose heart is set upon a lady to become his future bride. He woos her until he's won her heart. This is what God does to us in the Gospel. Our Christian experience can be thought of as God preparing us to be His bride for eternity. He is committed to fit and fashion us for our heavenly dwelling. Jesus said, I go to prepare a place for you, and so He does, as a man accommodates his home for his bride-to-be.
There is no greater image to portray God's commitment to His people and the spiritual intimacy He shares with them than that of marriage. He has covenanted to love and cherish the church for as long as they both shall live. I will never leave you nor forsake you says the Lord.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In a old Jewish wedding. A price was paid for her. He then goes back to his fathers house to make them a home. She stays behind and gets ready and keeps those candles lite for she does not know when he will come back for her. About a year later mostly at night he comes back for her with some friends. Makes a loud noise as he gets closer so she knows. He takes her back to his fathers house for about a week.

I think to try to compare this (bride) to marriage that we know here on this earth.. very unwise. Its not even close. Try to look at through His eyes. This is NOT what He wanted. He longs for us MORE then we eve for Him. He loves us SO MUCH! And then we say HE .. yet HE is ..God is not He not She.. He is ALL everything. This tiny bubble is all we know. Not even close to all He has already made for us..and then ALL that is to COME! Just hold on.. this ride? oh.. it gets SO MUCH BETTER!

Upvote 0