Breaking up due to being in different denominations

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You are right that this is at the heart of the friction. And the reason why the issue about being unequally yoked together is part of this discussion.

It's not a case of one party being a member of one Christian denomination and the other spouse being a member of a different Christian denomination. It does matter which denominations we are referring to and what their own teachings are concerning inter-denominational marriages.
As my dad (ordained in the Wesleyan Methodist denom) used to say: "Catholicism is the falsest of false religions because they name the NAME of Christ."

Yeah - I did not get that either.

Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is inter-denominational marriage considered the same as being unequally yoked, even if both partner profess to be Christians?

A friend of mine was engaged to a Catholic man and she's Baptist. Her parents kept forcing the issue of converting, but he insisted he was a Christian. The woman's family invited him to their house one evening and made him get down on his knees (literally) and profess that Jesus was his savior. He complied with all this, but later on he didn't like all of it, being forced to do that.So things went sour and he ended the engagement and the woman is 42 years old and she might not get another chance to marry and a chance to have biological children.
So I guess what I'm asking is, why is Catholic considered not equally yoked with a Baptist and should an engagement break up over this, especially if the person(s) might not get a chance at marriage and family. I'm asking also because I know so many older singles who kept bypassing someone based on religious differences and they are still single and not happy about it. (Although yes, there are people who love being single and that's their choice).

I could get into a whole diatribe about the differences between Catholicism and Protestantism, but the issue here seems to be the woman's family, not the couple themselves. There *are* some major differences in beliefs between Catholics and Protestants, and I can easily see how two devout people in each denomination might not be able to reconcile those differences.

Upvote 0