Boycotting Communist China

M

maelstrom

I think it's shameful that Christians around the world (especially America) aren't doing more to protest Communist China and all the human rights and religious freedom violations going on there...

So many Christians are being persecuted in Asia, but the church leaders around the world don't speak out about it--too busy counting their tithes and offerings.

We should all be staging a massive economic boycott against China.

pegatha

Apr 26, 2004
✟1,433.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Maelstrom, I'm concerned about human rights abuse and religious persecution in China. I'm also concerned about the US trade imbalance with China and its long-term effect on our economy, or even on our personal freedom. However, I honestly don't know how to go about boycotting them. Almost every single thing I need or want to buy is made in China. Our entire manufacturing base seems to have moved overseas. Is there anyone here who's managing to buy the things you need for your family, without buying any Chinese-made goods?

Upvote 0
M

maelstrom

That's my point--it's become virtually impossible NOT to support China.

That's why Christians should band together economically and start producing the needed essentials for trade with other Christians.

I'd like to see product labels saying "Made by Christians"

But there aren't that many Christian companies... the Bible warned us not to be unequally yoked with non-believers... Christians have chosen to ignore the Bible, and now they're economically yoked to Communists.

Personally I'm returning to commodity money such as gold or silver and using it to barter for things I need (it might take a while for me to transition entirely away from secular products, but I'm working on it at least)

Upvote 0

TheReasoner

Former christian, current teapot agnostic.
Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That's my point--it's become virtually impossible NOT to support China.

That's why Christians should band together economically and start producing the needed essentials for trade with other Christians.

I'd like to see product labels saying "Made by Christians"

But there aren't that many Christian companies... the Bible warned us not to be unequally yoked with non-believers... Christians have chosen to ignore the Bible, and now they're economically yoked to Communists.

Personally I'm returning to commodity money such as gold or silver and using it to barter for things I need (it might take a while for me to transition entirely away from secular products, but I'm working on it at least)

First off, let's look at one Christian company:
One2believe
They produce the Christian action figures found in WalMart.
So, let's see... The action figures are prduced in China, likely with violation of several human rights. In sweatshops in other words.
Then, when the goods arrive in the USA they are sold in Wal-Mart. A chain known for it's poor treatment of employees. Which I would certainly call unethical.

So, you can't trust "Christian" companies to be ethical either. Besides, the Lord called us to be lights in this world. Not to be OF it but to be IN it. Who will hear if no-one will go? We must be a light in the darkness. We cannot separate ourselves from the world by keeping in our closed communities, forming exclusive clubs... No-one will hear the gospel if we do not go out and are among the lost. If we don't go to them and spread the Lord's love, then we commit the greatest sin there is - we push them away from the Lord with our actions.

I know this might seem like nitpicking, but don't forget that the first Christians could easily be called communists given how they lived.
Chinese are God's children as well. We must work to see that we can open them up to the Lord. That cannot be achieved by shutting them out in the cold. Jesus loves communists as much as he does anyone else.

I agree that the human rights violations and restrictions are bad. And that something must be done about them. I just think we ought to do it like Jesus. When Jesus met with sinners in the bible he usually didn't hit them over the head. He welcomed them, and helped them change as a friend. I think we should do the same. CHina is comitting atrocities. Lt us be clear that this is not good. But we still must try to keep a friendship going with China so they will not shy away from the west and become our enemies. If we can keep them as friends we can build up influence and then help them change. China IS opening up. It IS becoming a better place to live. Let us praise them for those changes and help them make more.
The carrot always did work better than the stick in the long run.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LauraM

Sep 19, 2008
✟15,198.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Our entire manufacturing base has not moved overseas. It's just getting harder to find.

I don't believe that you should buy something from someone just because they say they are Christians, but I agree that we are responsible to God for the decisions we make.

The fact that so many things are made in abusive sweatshops in China isn't a good reason to throw up our hands and stop trying to do the right thing. We need to look at where something is made, try to be informed as to what kind of products and treatment we are supporting, and make the best decision possible.

For example:
Whenever I can I buy local products. The environmental impact of transportation is minimal and I'm supporting the local economy. I do exclude products from companies that treat their workers poorly. Whenever I have a choice in a retail store I choose the product that is made in a country with laws that protect human rights and environmental standards. Sometimes there are only products from China. In that case I decide whether I can find this product used or if should just do without the product. Most often I am able to find the product used.
This is my way of dealing with this issue.

Upvote 0

waterlemona

Dec 26, 2008
✟10,748.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I wish there was some way to help with human rights issues around the world, including China... but it is hard. I'm sure most of us don't like what is going on at all in China, but we don't know what to do.
Practically everything is made in China... Boycotting and protesting would be tough and even if it were to succeed, it could do more harm than good... the Chinese government may put more restrictions and keep a closer eye on people and their political and religious views. If the church leaders around the world did something, they may put believers in danger... think of all the underground and secret churches in China.
People might have less rights than now... their economy will weaken and the Chinese people will be poorer and even more people will be living in poverty. This won't help the Chinese people and it won't change their government. =(

So I agree with Faith Guardian... we should be friends, and give China credit. Their quality of life and human rights may not be like ours, but it is improving...
plus not everything made is China is guaranteed to be made in a sweatshop :p

As for sweatshops, I wish it was easier to know how products were made. I can't be sure that the locally made product I buy wasn't made by underpaid workers either.

Upvote 0

Covenant Heart

Principled Iconoclast
Jul 26, 2003
At home
Visit site
✟2,172.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Others
Are we protesting state terrorism at home? Are we implementing a massive, economic boycott here? Are we investigating which of those sweatshops in China are owned by American interests?

I thought that this was a place where social justice issues could be redressed. How is it that once again, the interests of earthly powers are overlaid upon the kingdom of God? Why should God bless this when the book of Revelation was written to show that this earthly system is under the wrath and curse of God?

Does anyone here actually believe anything about anything, or has the church completely caputulated to Constantine's great compromise?

Upvote 0

LookThroughDifferentEyes

We are all trapped, in prisons of the mind..
Mar 10, 2007
Queensland
✟17,624.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It's quite complicated -- there are many things to take into consideration. Workers who migrate to the city usually need the work to support their families, it's all they have. Their menial wages help overcome poverty. What if they didn't have this? And think of the state of the economy, in our part of the world.

However, is IS the consumer who demands cheap products, which puts pressure on companies to find the cheapest labour. I try my hardest to avoid Chinese-manufactured products, and anything made in sweatshops.

I don't agree with the Christian-made thing though; but I do agree that communities should start making and trading their own products. Doesn't have to be exclusively Christian.

Upvote 0

feo

Angels Fall First
Feb 14, 2004
Arizona
✟12,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Are we protesting state terrorism at home? Are we implementing a massive, economic boycott here? Are we investigating which of those sweatshops in China are owned by American interests?

I thought that this was a place where social justice issues could be redressed. How is it that once again, the interests of earthly powers are overlaid upon the kingdom of God? Why should God bless this when the book of Revelation was written to show that this earthly system is under the wrath and curse of God?

Does anyone here actually believe anything about anything, or has the church completely caputulated to Constantine's great compromise?

I think we both know the answers to your questions :(

I'm just afraid to say 'em out loud.

Upvote 0

kingdomlives

Mar 15, 2009
Kennesaw, GA
✟15,127.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
America isn't much better than China these days; in fact, freedom in America is disintegrating to such a state that America and China might as well be the same country before long.

The whole world has been taken over by a globalist banking cartel with a very anti-Christian agenda. All of the governments are basically controlled by the same financial interests at this point. The whole human race is being enslaved into debt.

I don't think it's right for Christians to be participating in a global economic system that is giving rise to global superstate ruled by elitists. The Bible says to come out of Babylon, lest you partake in her sins!

But Christians aren't coming out of Babylon, or being unyoked from the world. They're conforming to the world more than ever.

What if taxes go up to 100% to pay for the ever-increasing debt? How will churches operate if the government seizes all property and wealth to turn over to its creditors? There won't BE any churches or Christianity at that point, except for State churches and underground Christians. But I don't hear any leaders speaking out against it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
There are many injustices, but if you look at a photo of a Chinese city, you will see that some of the residents are doing just fine.

"Ernst & Young published a report last year (2005) on the Chinese luxury market that says 13.5 percent of China’s consumers can afford luxury items."

"Merrill Lynch estimates that there were just under 400,000 [millionaires in China] at the end of 2004."

SCT - Shopping Centers Today Online

"It is estimated that 223,000 households in Beijing will hire full-time domestic helpers over this year (2005), and another 225,000 will employ part-time maids."

Domestic crisis looms as maids head home

Affluence certainly does not mean there are not human rights violations. But we might have missed what else has happened in China lately.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
There are many injustices, but if you look at a photo of a Chinese city, you will see that some of the residents are doing just fine.

"Ernst & Young published a report last year (2005) on the Chinese luxury market that says 13.5 percent of China’s consumers can afford luxury items."

"Merrill Lynch estimates that there were just under 400,000 [millionaires in China] at the end of 2004."

SCT - Shopping Centers Today Online

"It is estimated that 223,000 households in Beijing will hire full-time domestic helpers over this year (2005), and another 225,000 will employ part-time maids."

Domestic crisis looms as maids head home

Affluence certainly does not mean there are not human rights violations. But we might have missed what else has happened in China lately.

Upvote 0

essential

May 30, 2009
✟15,187.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think it's shameful that Christians around the world (especially America) aren't doing more to protest Communist China and all the human rights and religious freedom violations going on there...

So many Christians are being persecuted in Asia, but the church leaders around the world don't speak out about it--too busy counting their tithes and offerings.

It's because we're so in debt to China, literally.

Upvote 0

Nobody1

Jun 5, 2009
✟499.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I have done more then you know these past ten years trying to fix China. Now, I just wait for all of that to come home to me.

Let them make our toys, our trains, our goods. We will be the leaders and they can be our workers because they have no understanding of the Will of God.

China's affairs are their own. (My work has been in defense of our rights.)

Where China attacks us to steal from us: expose them to the shame they deeply deserve.

Where China fails in delivering the goods we deserve: expose them to the shame they deeply deserve.

Who knows that God may not relent? If they repent of their wicked ways.

Surely, there are Christians in China, and obviously it is not those I speak of: the Kingdom of God is in the heart. And so is the Hell of the Children of Hell.

A child of God can work in the most miserable of settings, but their hearts can be in Heaven.

And which is greater, China? The Kingdom of God and Heaven, or your little foolish ideas that only destroy yourself and your own country.

Preach against the totalitarian nations. Let them drink deep of our Christian culture, for our goodness shames them. We should open those doors and keep them open that they might know whose way is right and whose way is wrong.

This is why China tries so foolishly to curb the internet. They are rightly scared of "mere" words.

They are guilty and they know it. It is absolutely sickening. How long can they contend against us?

However long it takes to smash their hearts into pieces, to make them real people and not hard hearted morons.

Has it not been told, is it not plainly obvious: tyranny is idiocy. Why do the people support it.

Forget scapegoats. The Chinese Christians need to consider their own neighbors as their important allies or enemies. Do not put it all on the heads of the government: for it is their own people who refuse to rise up, their own that embrace lies and cowardice.

Who will then take up the mantle to teach them the truth?

Well, we have, here from America.

And we shall surely continue to, for our horizon is truth.

Upvote 0