Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Labor
First of all. George Takei is not happy about Sulu being gay in the new movie. The original Sulu was not gay.
Secondly I don't count Star Trek (2009) and Into Darkness part of Star Trek as they were reboots and absolutely terrible. KHAN WAS NOT WHITE HE WAS INDIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! J.J ABRAMS YOU SUCK!
Thirdly my favourite Star Trek is DS9 and Enterprise because I still have a crush on Connor Trinneer and I have actually met him in person!

Reactions: Starcrystal
Upvote 0

Starcrystal

Sheep in Wolves clothing
Mar 2, 2004
In the woods... was In an old church - was On the
✟14,805.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Since they have done so, why does it matter if new/alternative Sulu is gay?

Because it is sin. It is an abomination. It is addressed in Leviticus and Romans. We all know what happened in Genesis...

And now the media, news, movies, etc blatantly throws it in our faces, trying to force us...
it is a violation of 1st amendment constitutional rights because while many Americans follow Christ and do not believe in the sin of homosexuality, it is thrown in our faces, and now 5 out of 9 people in the Supreme Court decide to allow abomination.
that is almost a split decision, 5 to 4 and who speaks for the people? Who speaks for God, and his Holy word?

Upvote 0

Starcrystal

Sheep in Wolves clothing
Mar 2, 2004
In the woods... was In an old church - was On the
✟14,805.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No one forces you to watch Star Trek.
It is your fault if you cannot find better things to do.
It was only teenage wasteland.

Um, in the 60s Mom did..and that was before teenage Wasteland or ever I heard the Who song..
after that I got addicted...

When my Mom died at age 79 she had posters of Kirk and Picard in her house along with Charlton Heston, her major crush from 10 Commandments, Ben Hur, and Planet of the apes...

She was so obsessed with that dude she even took this in the 50s..Charlton Heston on left
© 1952, Greatest Show on Earth movie set, Sarasota Florida DO NOT USE OR SELL... I have the actual photo up in her desk
CH_50s.JPG

Reactions: civilwarbuff
Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Because it is sin. It is an abomination. It is addressed in Leviticus and Romans. We all know what happened in Genesis...

And now the media, news, movies, etc blatantly throws it in our faces, trying to force us...
it is a violation of 1st amendment constitutional rights because while many Americans follow Christ and do not believe in the sin of homosexuality, it is thrown in our faces, and now 5 out of 9 people in the Supreme Court decide to allow abomination.
that is almost a split decision, 5 to 4 and who speaks for the people? Who speaks for God, and his Holy word?
Not Star Trek, it takes pace in a future where Christianity has little to no influence. Why would you insist it adheres to a Christian morality?

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
That leaves Scotty, Chekov and Sulu.

Why do any of the original characters have to be gay? I really don't get this obsession that someone has to be gay.

If you really want a gay character, just make a new character.

This just makes no sense. we know the sexual orientation of several Star Trek characters (as I have already shown) but we don't know the religious views of any if the main TOS charactes.

Doesn't that mean that there's even less reason to oppose Kirk being a Muslim? After all, by your reasoning he could have secretly been one all along.

For that matter we could make Spock a Catholic, Scotty a Muslim, Bones a Shintoist and Uhura a Siberian Animist. Unless you hate these religions and don't think that they deserve representation in Star Trek?

Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,491,296.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was a Star Trek fan, but even when I watch the 90's version, with Picard. It's full of non-godly agenda.

It's just how most all TV works.

Picard was so ardently anti-theist that in one forum debate during the late 80s, I found myself on the same side as a pagan who was also offended by how Picard once violated the Prime Directive to smash one world's pagan god.

Upvote 0

Jutta2

Sep 8, 2015
✟884.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Honestly, guys, I do not understand all the fuss. Gene (the creator of Star Trek), was a more open and tolerant man, a liberal Democrat, who created a wet, in which all dealt tolerant with each other. Since kissed a white commander a female African American communications officer, since the first officer (Riker in TNG) in a being without gender that feels feminine love, all signs of a liberal basic setting of the series. I am about to become a fan of the series. Because as a bisexual woman could find myself in some episodes.
However, I find the decision Sulu present them as gay, somewhat unfortunate, because the character was created as a heterosexual. It is better to let a gay relatives occur to Sulu, which would fully accepted by Sulu. Maybe played by George Takei?

Reactions: RedPonyDriver
Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I may not like Georges lifestyle, but I am glad he said he was against it and would rather they just make a new character. I would be less offended by that. No need to mess with an old one. Even George said not to mess with Genes vision of the crew.

Although it is funny that we attack Trek for doing this, yet we are ok with humans marrying and making love to aliens. Aliens which aren't always a specific sex. I mean if are getting technical, that stuff should matter too. ^_^

But thats not what turned me off to Trek anyways recently. I was the decision that the new Trek tv series will be PAY subscription for online only. As in you won't see it on your normal tv or even on cable. Only if you PAY for it online. Which is terrible. I'd rather watch it on tv and have normal ads then have a ad free version where I have to pay per episode. This is why the new Trek tv show will flop.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟313,210.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I do like this reincarnation of Star Trek, and I prefer they stay away from the social issues of today, but these writers live in the real world too.

Star Trek is nothing but realistic. They don't even try to exploit the full potential of their fictional gizmos!

They have true AI (nuf said), the replicator and transporter together can be used as automated ship self-repair system that could probably repair damage a lot faster than clones of Mr. Scotty himself....Do they really need a massive crew compliment and hence, a massive ship that is much more difficult to keep in one piece??

Warp mechanics also enables a ship to weigh virtually nothing or have close to zero mass.....This simply means if you use it everytime, you can have a Romulan Warbird be as nimble as a type 9 shuttlecraft. And the warp field has in many cases been exploited in such manner in many ST episodes for anything other than using it to fly faster than speed of light. So we know it works... And since you have close to zero mass if using warp field for such manner, you can generously increase armor protection without any weight penalty...

All that said, Star Trek apparently has more concerns for political agendas.

Upvote 0

stephen583

Jan 12, 2016
Salt lake City, UT
✟31,701.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Having grown up during the 60's and 70's, I watched as Star Trek technology moved from the television screen to the real world. Before then, we didn't have automatic pneumatic doors at grocery stores, personal desk computers, personal communicators (cell phones), disrupter stun guns (tazers) and of course space shuttles and space stations. I don't think even Gene Roddenberry foresaw the impact Star Trek technology would have in shaping our world when he created the television program.

However, like the OP states... I'm kind'a over it. Now everything talks, not just computers. Talking automated registers at grocery stores, talking cars, recorded automated customer service representatives, (even the V.A. has an automated crisis line), select option "one" if you are suicidal, select "two" if you are just depressed, select "three" for councelling on alcohol, or drug abuse, select "four" if you killed yourself while listening to this recording, and thank you for using the V.A's Crisis Hotline. Lol.

I don't think all this technology has made mankind any more human. Technology has actually become quite rude and dismissive of the critical need for personal human contact and empathy. We've become isolated by computer games and movies on demand. We download the latest computer game cheat codes, and college term papers, until we've lost all sense of honesty and the worth of personal accomplishment. How does any of that make us better people ?

CURSE YOU GENE RODDENBERRY !!! YOU ARE THE DARK SIDE OF THE FORCE !!!

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Honestly, guys, I do not understand all the fuss. Gene (the creator of Star Trek), was a more open and tolerant man, a liberal Democrat, who created a wet, in which all dealt tolerant with each other. Since kissed a white commander a female African American communications officer, since the first officer (Riker in TNG) in a being without gender that feels feminine love, all signs of a liberal basic setting of the series. I am about to become a fan of the series. Because as a bisexual woman could find myself in some episodes.

Star Trek (in its various forms) has certainly been very progressive over the years, unafraid to take on controversal topics. Hopefully that will contiune in the future.

However, I find the decision Sulu present them as gay, somewhat unfortunate, because the character was created as a heterosexual. It is better to let a gay relatives occur to Sulu, which would fully accepted by Sulu. Maybe played by George Takei?

Except that we do not know what Sulu's sexual orientation was in TOS or the later movies. His television character was rather limited so that issue was never discussed, and I don't recall it ever being addressed in the movies that followed.

I know that George Takei has come out against makiing Sulu gay. Of course he is entitled to his opinion, but the fact is that he hasn't played the character for years. We don't allow Sean Connery to dictate what future James Bonds should do, why would we give that authority to George Takei?

Upvote 0

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
How many genders are there, and how many of them has the left made up?
There are two genders: Maculine and Feminine.

There are two sexes: male and female. Males are the result of an XY chromosome pair, and are born with penises. Females are the result of an XX chromosome pair, and are born with vaginas.

Made up genders? Hmmm... How about Abimegender, Adamasgender, Aerogender, Aesthetigender, Alexigender, Amaregender, Apconsugender, Astralgender,.... the list appears to be endless.

Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟184,782.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private

There are two sexes: male and female. Males are the result of an XY chromosome pair, and are born with penises. Females are the result of an XX chromosome pair, and are born with vaginas.

Made up genders? Hmmm... How about Abimegender, Adamasgender, Aerogender, Aesthetigender, Alexigender, Amaregender, Apconsugender, Astralgender,.... the list appears to be endless.
Seems like those made up genders are really just classifications for people, but really have nothing to do with gender.

Astralgender: A gender that feels connected to space.

Thanks. You answered the question. The left has made up no genders, and there are only 2.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟405,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

So X,XX,XXY,XYY,XXXY Genders don't exist ?

Reactions: RedPonyDriver
Upvote 0

Te're'sa

Romans 6:1-14
Feb 2, 2016
Northern NY/Canadian border
✟44,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So X,XX,XXY,XYY,XXXY Genders don't exist ?
Even according to the contributors on a sexuality and gender forum I used to frequent, chromosomes don't determine gender. Those are only genotypes, and will produce either male, female, or intersex, which has only to do with which body parts a person has and/or doesn't have at birth. They say "gender" is in the mind, not in the body or even the chromosomes. If you're going to argue for the existence of more than two genders, at least start from a generally accepted basis.

Generally, X and XXY will produce a female, and XYY will produce a male. No idea about the last. And all of these genotypes can accompany genetic disorders. I say generally, because there's a chance these - and even XX/XY - can be intersex as well. Biology messes up sometimes.

P.S. You forgot XY, which is normal male... or else you forgot that XX is normal female... why include one but not the other?

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟405,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Even according to the contributors on a sexuality and gender forum I used to frequent, chromosomes don't determine gender. Those are only genotypes, and will produce either male, female, or intersex, which has only to do with which body parts a person has and/or doesn't have at birth. They say "gender" is in the mind, not in the body or even the chromosomes. If you're going to argue for the existence of more than two genders, at least start from a generally accepted basis.

Generally, X and XXY will produce a female, and XYY will produce a male. No idea about the last. And all of these genotypes can accompany genetic disorders. I say generally, because there's a chance these - and even XX/XY - can be intersex as well. Biology messes up sometimes.

P.S. You forgot XY, which is normal male... or else you forgot that XX is normal female... why include one but not the other?
Simple Typo.

Upvote 0

AGTG

Mar 11, 2014
✟6,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟184,782.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Meaning, Star Trek from its very inception, was a tool to destroy traditional, Christian values in our nation. And it's merely continued it's course, they're just at warp factor 10 now. Enjoy!
Christian values?

It is a futuristic sci-fi television show. I can't think of any sci-fi show or movie which ever reinforced Christian values. Can you name any?

Did Star Trek destroy your Christian values?

Upvote 0