Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I came to faith in reading the word of God, where its power and truth filled every part of my being, including places I didn't even know I had.
Sometimes I could hardly breathe because of the joy of it all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟793,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I don't recall mine. My mother does ...er, did; she's gone now, but then, I guess, that implies she does again, or still.

What I do recall is the change from fear of the untrustworthy nature of my act of "accepting" Christ, to the joy in the altogether trustworthy nature of God doing as he pleases with me and the rest of his creation.

Upvote 0

Psalm 27

Aug 21, 2020
Uk
✟117,343.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I read a commentary on John 3, which said that the born again experience wrought such a substantial change, on a person's soul as well as their actions, that it was unmistakable.

I am wondering if born again is gradual, or not just a 'one off' experience.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I read a commentary on John 3, which said that the born again experience wrought such a substantial change, on a person's soul as well as their actions, that it was unmistakable.

I suspect it may not be experienced the same for everyone, or that maybe it is a special infilling if one already believes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,941.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You appear to believe there is a clear difference between the salvation experience vs the born again experience?

Upvote 0

Psalm 27

Aug 21, 2020
Uk
✟117,343.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
You appear to believe there is a clear difference between the salvation experience vs the born again experience?
Not necessarily. Just trying to find others experiences. To see how they differ, or if

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,432.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What happened? Can you explain it?
I knew intellectually turning to God resulted in forgiveness of sin and the receiving of the Holy Spirit. I also knew if I humbly correctly accepted God's forgiveness as pure undeserved charity I would automatically have Godly type Love (Luke 7), but I had to physically feel it happening to me to believe it really happened, the washing o my sins away, placing myself in the hands of another, the joining of now fellow Christians greeting me.

Upvote 0

Psalm 27

Aug 21, 2020
Uk
✟117,343.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I knew intellectually turning to God resulted in forgiveness of sin and the receiving of the Holy Spirit. I also knew if I humbly correctly accepted God's forgiveness as pure undeserved charity I would automatically have Godly type Love (Luke 7), but I had to physically feel it happening to me to believe it really happened, the washing o my sins away, placing myself in the hands of another, the joining of now fellow Christians greeting me.
You reminded me of my experience. In 98, I mentally said to The Lord 'I know You can't forgive me for what I've done, but I'm begging You anyway' then He began to change my heart.
...around that time, there was a man at work, who I loathed, because he was a thief. He had actually stolen from me (although I had little proof).

One day, I glanced at him, and he looked all nervous. Then I felt a strange compassion, realising that God actually loved him. I even argued "Him! but he steals things".
Then, God revealed the things that I had stolen in my life. :|

The change in my heart was so remarkable and definitely not of me, (why don't i feel that way about everybody?)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

An historical theological question that appeared in the Reformation was this: Does regeneration precede faith, or does faith precede regeneration? The Lutheran answer is that it is neither: Faith is regeneration.

Since faith is God's gift to us, something He gives, works, creates, and strengthens by His grace, by Word and Sacrament, then we speak of the beginning of this work regeneration. A new creature is made, something that did not exist previously now exists. Faith comes extra nos, from outside ourselves, God takes what is dead and makes it alive. God takes what does not exist and speaks it into existence.

When that happens, and precisely how that happens can be very different for different people.

While Jesus, in talking to Nicodemus, refers clearly to baptism when He speaks of a birth of water and the Spirit. Which is why the Church historically has always identified the Sacrament of Baptism with the new birth. Because Christ did, and Scripture generally does (see also Titus 3:5).

But it is not Solus Baptismus, "baptism alone". The word of God works, creates, and strengthens faith (Romans 10:17). That word, present in baptism, makes baptism salvific--"This baptism which now saves you" as we read in Scripture. The Scriptures say that Christ "cleansed us with the washing of water with the word" (Ephesians 5:26), so we see that it is not the water, but the word connected to the water, which is living and powerful and active.

Thus the one who hears the word and believes is a new creation.
The one who is baptized now has faith, and is a new creation.

Whether one is baptized and then raised in the faith; or whether one is raised in the faith and is baptized; or if one comes late in life, hearing the word and then being baptized. It is always the same gracious power and work of God.

God works through Word and Sacrament as Means of Grace, to accomplish His powerful work in us, to make us new, to give us life everlasting, to declare us forgiven and justified for Christ's sake.

-CryptoLutheran

• Informative
Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

Psalm 27

Aug 21, 2020
Uk
✟117,343.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
An historical theological question that appeared in the Reformation was this: Does regeneration precede faith, or does faith precede regeneration? The Lutheran answer is that it is neither: Faith is regeneration.

Since faith is God's gift to us, something He gives, works, creates, and strengthens by His grace, by Word and Sacrament, then we speak of the beginning of this work regeneration. A new creature is made, something that did not exist previously now exists. Faith comes extra nos, from outside ourselves, God takes what is dead and makes it alive. God takes what does not exist and speaks it into existence.

When that happens, and precisely how that happens can be very different for different people.

While Jesus, in talking to Nicodemus, refers clearly to baptism when He speaks of a birth of water and the Spirit. Which is why the Church historically has always identified the Sacrament of Baptism with the new birth. Because Christ did, and Scripture generally does (see also Titus 3:5).

But it is not Solus Baptismus, "baptism alone". The word of God works, creates, and strengthens faith (Romans 10:17). That word, present in baptism, makes baptism salvific--"This baptism which now saves you" as we read in Scripture. The Scriptures say that Christ "cleansed us with the washing of water with the word" (Ephesians 5:26), so we see that it is not the water, but the word connected to the water, which is living and powerful and active.

Thus the one who hears the word and believes is a new creation.
The one who is baptized now has faith, and is a new creation.

Whether one is baptized and then raised in the faith; or whether one is raised in the faith and is baptized; or if one comes late in life, hearing the word and then being baptized. It is always the same gracious power and work of God.

God works through Word and Sacrament as Means of Grace, to accomplish His powerful work in us, to make us new, to give us life everlasting, to declare us forgiven and justified for Christ's sake.

-CryptoLutheran
How does a Lutheran explain the pre-water baptism gift of The H.S. in Acts 10?

44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.

46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,

47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?

48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.

46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,

47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?

48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

The expression Lutherans use is "Word and Sacrament". It is impossible to separate them, it is not "Word or Sacrament" or "Word" and "Sacrament" as though they were two things. Word and Sacrament is one thing.

The answer to your question is right there in verse 44, "While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word."

Does that invalidate what Peter said in Acts 2:38? Of course not.

Word and Sacrament.

-CryptoLutheran

• Informative
Reactions: Psalm 27
Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

This is how I believe and why it happened !!

#1 One , because , those in Acts 10:27-45 these person , the HOLY SPIRIT was poured out .

#2 It meant that there was a CHANGE coming and that change happened in Acts 28:25--28 where Israel was SET ASIDE and Paul was to the Gentiles .

This is just a capsule of what happened to Israel !!

dan p

Upvote 0