• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Blood Pressure

GracetotheHumble

Theology of the Cross
Mar 30, 2015
✟3,726.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
My blood pressure was pretty good today when I checked it: 125/88

I have been walking a lot, drinking red wine, eating potatoes, and drinking OJ.

It seems to be getting better every time I check it. For awhile my bp was in the 140's over 90's.

I was thinking about going on medication.

I am going to continue walking and drinking red wine and hopefully bp medication can be avoided.

Murby

Feb 4, 2016
USA
✟4,630.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
eating potatoes, and drinking OJ.

Stop eating potatoes and drinking the orange juice.. They're bad for you.
If you want orange juice, eat the entire orange.

If you want to improve your cardiovascular system through diet, cut out the sugars! Specifically, a sugar called "Fructose"...
This can get complicated but I spent about a month of my life studying it so I know what I'm talking about.. I'm going to dumb it down and shorten it up. I recommend you take my advice and do your own research from it.

Sugars come in many forms.. But the main culprit for health problems is related to a specific sugar molecule called "Fructose". It is found as added sugar in most manufactured foods, its found in table sugar (Sucrose is 50/50 glucose + fructose), and it is found in Fruits. Yes, fruits.. I'll explain below.

Our bodies require Glucose for life.. every cell in your body, and I believe every living thing on earth, burns and metabolizes glucose for energy. Of all the glucose you ingest, only about 1% to (5%?) gets converted by your liver into LDL Cholesterol.. (the bad stuff). That's not so bad.

Fructose however, can only be metabolized by one single organ in your body, and that organ can only do one thing with it.
Your liver is the only organ that can metabolize fructose and it turns almost 100% of it into the artery clogging LDL Cholesterol. So for every molecule of Fructose you ingest, you add to your LDL levels and that raises your blood pressure.. Some say its worse than salt and in my own experience, they are correct.

But Fructose is found naturally in Fruits! You say...
Yup.. but its kind of peculiar because in all common fruits, the fructose comes packaged with a natural antidote too.. All fruits are high in fiber and the fiber binds to the fructose and carries it through your digestive system in such a way that your body is never able to absorb it. The fiber encapsulates the Fructose sugar like throwing wet sticky gum into a pile of sawdust.
When you drink fruit juices like orange juice, you're getting all the sugars, but none of the fibers. This is why fruit juice is so bad.. If you want fruit, eat the whole thing!! Don't strip out the fiber.

When you research back to the 1700's and graph the average yearly intake of sugar in our society, the graph trajectory matches the cardiovascular disease trajectory almost perfectly. The more sugar we eat, the more health problems we have. And this stuff is everywhere! Manufacturers are shoving added sugar into everything.

Cut out the sugars and your blood pressure will drop on its own.. and so will your cholesterol. I cut sugar out of my diet and my cholesterol dropped by 30% within just 4 months.. and I never lost a pound of weight.. just a diet change.

Upvote 0

GracetotheHumble

Theology of the Cross
Mar 30, 2015
✟3,726.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

If you want to improve your cardiovascular system through diet, cut out the sugars! Specifically, a sugar called "Fructose"...
This can get complicated but I spent about a month of my life studying it so I know what I'm talking about.. I'm going to dumb it down and shorten it up. I recommend you take my advice and do your own research from it.

Sugars come in many forms.. But the main culprit for health problems is related to a specific sugar molecule called "Fructose". It is found as added sugar in most manufactured foods, its found in table sugar (Sucrose is 50/50 glucose + fructose), and it is found in Fruits. Yes, fruits.. I'll explain below.

Our bodies require Glucose for life.. every cell in your body, and I believe every living thing on earth, burns and metabolizes glucose for energy. Of all the glucose you ingest, only about 1% to (5%?) gets converted by your liver into LDL Cholesterol.. (the bad stuff). That's not so bad.

Fructose however, can only be metabolized by one single organ in your body, and that organ can only do one thing with it.
Your liver is the only organ that can metabolize fructose and it turns almost 100% of it into the artery clogging LDL Cholesterol. So for every molecule of Fructose you ingest, you add to your LDL levels and that raises your blood pressure.. Some say its worse than salt and in my own experience, they are correct.

Yup.. but its kind of peculiar because in all common fruits, the fructose comes packaged with a natural antidote too.. All fruits are high in fiber and the fiber binds to the fructose and carries it through your digestive system in such a way that your body is never able to absorb it. The fiber encapsulates the Fructose sugar like throwing wet sticky gum into a pile of sawdust.
When you drink fruit juices like orange juice, you're getting all the sugars, but none of the fibers. This is why fruit juice is so bad.. If you want fruit, eat the whole thing!! Don't strip out the fiber.

When you research back to the 1700's and graph the average yearly intake of sugar in our society, the graph trajectory matches the cardiovascular disease trajectory almost perfectly. The more sugar we eat, the more health problems we have. And this stuff is everywhere! Manufacturers are shoving added sugar into everything.

Cut out the sugars and your blood pressure will drop on its own.. and so will your cholesterol. I cut sugar out of my diet and my cholesterol dropped by 30% within just 4 months.. and I never lost a pound of weight.. just a diet change.

Thanks for the heads up. I don't consume much fructose because I don't eat any processed foods. I do eat fruit though.

I read OJ is good for your blood pressure because of the potassium.

Upvote 0

Murby

Feb 4, 2016
USA
✟4,630.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Pretty much all fruit is good for you if you eat the entire fruit..
All fruit juice is bad for you.. all of it.

If you want potassium you can get it from a banana or better yet, kale and spinach are loaded to the gills with it. Kale is an amazing food.. Looks like lettuce, tastes like lettuce (sort of).. I think its actually considered one of the "super foods" if I recall. My wife doesn't even use lettuce anymore.. we've switched to just kale. Its good, but don't try making a smoothy out of it because the dark green color makes the drink look like barf, even though it tastes good.

But ya.. fruit juice is about as bad as it gets.. Stay away from it..

Upvote 0

Bobinator

Jul 30, 2007
✟11,899.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Take at least 1/2 teaspoon of unprocessed earth salt with food or water every day. Then, check your blood pressure after 2 weeks. Himalayan is the best. Sea salt, celtic, redman's is good too. Stay away from table salt. That stuff will kill you. Stay off of meds. You don't need that junk.

Upvote 0

Murby

Feb 4, 2016
USA
✟4,630.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Fructose (Sugar) is what causes high cholesterol and leads to high blood pressure. OJ is packed full of sugar and the fibers are stripped away so your body absorbs all the bad stuff and none of the good stuff.

If you want potassium, eat dark leafy green veggies..also.. broccoli, peas, lima beans, tomatoes, banana's, squash.

Replace table salt with potassium salt substitute. Take a potassium supplement when you don't get enough of the above stuff.

Eat an orange.. Just don't drink the juice.. eat the entire orange so the fiber it contains locks up the sugars.

Reactions: GQ Chris
Upvote 0

GQ Chris

ooey gooey is for brownies, not Bible teachers
Jan 17, 2005
Golden State
✟38,342.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single

Interesting. Thanks for that info. Are you a nutritionist?

Upvote 0

Murby

Feb 4, 2016
USA
✟4,630.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Interesting. Thanks for that info. Are you a nutritionist?

You're welcome.. Hope it helps,

No, I'm not a nutritionist... But I do (did) have cardiovascular disease, and as an engineer, I couldn't put the proverbial books down until I learned everything about how, what, why, etc. I became a quasi-expert in the subject of what causes my condition.
I also had high blood pressure as a result..

Upvote 0
Nov 15, 2009
✟8,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was recently discussing blood pressure measurements with my father. Our discussion went along these lines. Dad felt his blood pressure was going up to much and was considering blood pressure medications.

I pointed out that there are studies finding lowing moderate high blood pressure does not improve ones health. The medication will work well at lowering blood pressure. The studies have found that with medications do not improve health, or increase life spans though. That is the most important item to question, at least I would think - will there be an improved health outcome when taking a medication? Some information on the blood pressure studies can be read here:

Does treating high blood pressure do any good?

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2012/04/02/does-treating-high-blood-pressure-do-any-good/

In the end, my father wanted to try the blood pressure medications. He recognized the studies I shared, but still wanted to see what would happen with taking medication. (His doctor was happy to prescribe them) After a few weeks of taking the hypertension drugs, the side effects were to much. The medication was taking him feel sick. He ended up stopping the medication.

Now dad has taken a more natural approach to lowing his blood pressure. I'm not sure if that will improve his health. It makes him happy though, which is what counts most. Dad is retired now, and as with many of his age knowing hospital testing results is an important item to discuss with friends.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rahm

Give 'em Heaven
Jan 10, 2008
Green Bay, Wisconsin
✟25,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

It seems to be getting better every time I check it. For awhile my bp was in the 140's over 90's.

I am going to continue walking and drinking red wine and hopefully bp medication can be avoided.
I've been trying a similar diet known as the Blood type Diet. Apparently each blood type ,metabolizes proteins and nutrients differently. My blood type (A-) should be on a vegetarian type of diet, and so far it has been revolutionary. I lost my high blood pressure, weight, and sleep better now than ever.

Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm an avid runner, since high school. But I am convinced about dumping fruit juices now. That wasn't the first time I read about what really causes heart disease.

As a runner, you are burning up the nutrients you take in much faster than those who do not have the same level of exercise regime and any negative impact is less or even zero.

With sedentary people, diet becomes much more important.

Reactions: GQ Chris
Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,654.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You need to be challenged here because you are spreading a bit of wrong information. Fructose is not bad. Too much fructose is a problem, long term but you are painting it to be worse than it is. Too much glucose is also a problem as it represents a toxin to the body at high levels in the blood which is why the body must keep the blood sugar level moderate. Anyway, Fructose is handled by the liver, that's true. Where I really have an issue is what you said about LDL. What you said about LDL shows a lack of understanding about cholesterol. LDL is not bad cholesterol. LDL is a Lipoprotein that carried cholesterol to every part of the body where it is needed. You would immediately begin dying without LDL. Cholesterol is extremely vital for life. So your rational of avoiding fructose because it converts in the LDL is rediculous. I have done lots of research myself for a few years and I have read and heard from quite a few doctors that fructose is converted to Fat by the liver and then stored. You are the first person I heard say that it is converted to LDL. So that is something I am not going to agree with but I am not going to say you are wrong until i look it up specifically.

Let me ask you this, why does the body need cholesterol?

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,654.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The most common cause of High Blood Pressure is a deficiency of the mineral magnesium. Magnesium and Calcium are the main minerals the body uses to allow your muscles to expand and contract correctly. Your arteries have muscles that help the heart to pump blood by also expanding and contracting to push the blood through the body. Magnesium is the relaxation mineral that expands or relaxes the muscle and when magnesium levels are low your muscle tends to contract but do not relax as much depending on how deficient you are and that forces the blood pressure high. Its like you have a hose and you squeeze the end of the host down a bit to have the water come out with more pressure.

So using things that causes vasodilation of the arteries would settle the blood pressure such as beets and even cayeene pepper is good short term but its best to give the body what it uses to regulate the muscles itself and that is magnesium which you can get from any dark green leafy vegetable and you would also find some magnesium and many other good minerals in Himalayan or Celtic sea salt as Bobinator said.

The other possible cause of high blood pressure is Peripheral Artery Disease of the Kidneys. This occurs when the tiny blood vessels of the kidneys become clogged and the kidneys begin to under function. The body has wisdom and the kidneys know when it is not receiving enough blood to filter. Once this happens the Kidneys secretes a hormone known as renin which then causes another enzyme angiotensin to be secreted and this increases the blood pressure in an attempt to get more blood into the kidneys. But unless the clogged blood vessels become unclogged this problem remains and you go to the doctor who gives you a drug (ACE Inhibitor) that blocks angiotensin production. Or they might give you a drug to block renin production. So now when the Kidneys tries to secrete renin its either blocked or the renin has no effect so the blood pressure remains normal. Years later that person will find themselves on dialysis because their kidney function goes right down the drain. So this is the other less common and also more serious cause.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DavetheSlave

Supporter
Jul 11, 2016
Idaho USA
✟23,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

True that. I have had a similar experience in trying to rid my diet of processed food and refined sugar.

Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It is good to constantly check your blood pressure but it is better to check the blood of Jesus. How to check?

I will praise for what He has done and I will put hope in His name.

Why put hope in His name? If you check on your medication, you check His name is able to heal you.

Reactions: shortangel
Upvote 0