Blood on a steak when it was not supposed to be there… I wiped it away, so was it OK and I consumed none of the blood?

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
If the juices are clear, especially for beef, you have overcooked it to oblivion and then several miles behind even that.

I just watched an SNL sketch involving that.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I just watched an SNL sketch involving that.

-CryptoLutheran
IMG_3498.gif

Reactions: ViaCrucis
Upvote 0

FrankDougans

Nov 24, 2023
Los Angeles
✟8,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Imo, the meaning of the scripture is you don't intend to eat blood. We all have had a touch of it. It wasn't planned. It's impossible to never ever have it in our mouth. Have you ever cut your finger and stuck it in your mouth to stop the bleeding?
Often we get sick due to the amount of exposure to a particular pathogen. So the less the better. Though we don't want to live in a sterile environment because then our immune system doesn't build leaving us very vulnerable to all pathogens. In an ideal world we would build that immune system gradually, not getting sick doing it. Your mouth has about a billion bacteria at any one time. We are not "clean" by any stretch of the imagination and if we could see small objects a lot better we'd realize that. Germophobes are living in their own alternate universe and really need to rethink their priorities. Many parents are creating very weak children by cleaning incessantly. What they should be concerned about are all the chemicals they are using to get rid of all the germs around them; because those chemicals are seldom safe for consumption and children tend to put everything in their mouths at a young age.

Upvote 0

Stephen3141

Mar 14, 2023
Southwest
✟39,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
See Genesis 9:3-4. I don’t think red meat is wrong - I was dining in a restaurant -, in fact, I like it a lot, but I do see blood as problematic, since biblically eating blood is forbidden. But I did eat it anyways AFTER praying and wiping away all marks of blood (I was in a restaurant). I do pray I made the right choice and the meat was undefiled (I believe it was, but am only 99 %ly sure, not 100, hence why I ask). God bless☺️
I think that the Bible promotes the proper slaughtering of animals.
This includes draining out the blood.
But blood that remains in the meat, is fine to eat.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

lanceleo

Apr 18, 2018
✟45,605.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Jewish dietary code does not apply to God's people today (1 Tim. 4:1-5), the spiritual principle remains: We must be a separated and obedient people. The lists of “clean” and "unclean" foods were reminders that the people must learn to distinguish between what God accepts and what He rejects.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,310.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I can't count all the times I served beef tartare to people.
Beef is generally very safe, even when raw. The "need" for it to be properly cooked at least on its surface is more to eliminate bacteria from processing the meat (when it was put on a not so clean table before serving, for example).

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And I understand God means not to drink blood for a purpose of practicing idolatry or in order to gain characteristics of some animal or human.
Yes, this is the point. At the time, pagan rituals included strangling the animal in order to preserve all the blood, which was then drunk as part of the ritual.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Yes, it was not blood.

However, what he probably meant is that, if you see a red liquid (myoglobin), it means the meat is not cooked properly.

Its not so dangerous with beef, because beef does not contain parasites like pork or chicken do. But it can have bacteria on its surface, being contaminated on tables or during processing. Thats why beef should be properly cooked at least on its surface.

I’ve only had black and blue, rare, or at most, inadvertently medium rare* or occasionally, in the case of tritip or other roasts, medium, steaks in my life and have never gotten sick from any of them. Any good steakhouse or roast beef venue such as Simpsons-in-the-Strand, Lowry’s (The Prime Rib) or various steakhouses in New York and Chicago, as well as El Gaucho and The Monsoon Club in Accra, where the ostrich is also best eaten rare, will follow excellent food safety protocols. Indeed when I lived in Ghana I found that dining primarily at a subset of the more expensive restaurants, and an Ethiopian restaurant, Lailbela, named after the great concentration of exquisite rock-hewn churches, was the best way to avoid food poisoning.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Beef is generally very safe, even when raw.

And delicious. Beef tartare and carpaccio for example are culinary delights.

On the other hand, it would be idiotic to eat raw chicken or pork, as I am sure you willl agree.

I generally prefer sushi and sashimi to cooked fish, although I enjoy both - raw salmon however requires special treatment and in general one should never eat raw fish not sold as sashimi grade. And some sushi, such as unaji (fresh water eel) is always cooked. Indeed, fresh water fish in general such as trout or lake perch, which I particularly love (the sadly closed Cape Cod Room at the Drake Hotel in Chicago is where I once had the pleasure of enjoying a platter of Lake Perch), must almost invariably be thoroughly cooked, since the goal is to dine on the fish without allowing some random amoeba to dine on oneself.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The OT prohibitions no longer apply to Christians so, if you like your steak rare, fine. Don't worry about it.
What does apply, however, is actual participation in the pagan rituals, which what the Acts 15 prohibitions were about...the specific acts of the pagan rituals. That was the distinction Paul made to the Corinthians about not worrying about the meat--because the rituals did nothing to the meat--but to worry about participating in the rituals, because participation did do something to the spirit.

• Agree
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,310.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And delicious. Beef tartare and carpaccio for example are culinary delights.

On the other hand, it would be idiotic to eat raw chicken or pork, as I am sure you willl agree.
Sure, both pork and chicken meat contain parasites and bacteria, for example salmonella. Its dangerous to eat them raw. Beef is safe as such, but if somebody put the beef on the table where lied a raw chicken meat before, for example, the bacteria would be on the beef too.

• Agree
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sure, both pork and chicken meat contain parasites and bacteria, for example salmonella. Its dangerous to eat them raw. Beef is safe as such, but if somebody put the beef on the table where lied a raw chicken meat before, for example, the bacteria would be on the beef too.
The salmonella danger of chickens is a result of modern processing techniques that do not keep the entrails separated from the chicken flesh. A chicken properly dressed. The old-school method of our great-great grandmothers did not pose that danger.

Upvote 0

Stephen3141

Mar 14, 2023
Southwest
✟39,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The Bible stipulates that an animal should be slaughtered, to that the
blood is drained out of it.

This is not a modern scientific command, as there is always some blood
in the meat, as measured by modern scientific standards. And there was,
in ancient times, when animals were also slaughtered properly.

This command should not be taken as modern scientific method.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums