• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Blinds kill children over 400 since 1991

GreenEyedLady

My little Dinky Doo
Jan 15, 2002
Missouri
Visit site
✟4,791.00
Faith
Baptist
I want to share with everyone information that I have found about blinds in genreal.

First of all over 400 children have died they way my baby died since 1991.  It only takes 4 minutes for a child to get tangled in the blinds and die.  That means that a mother could put a movie in for her toddler, go downstairs to throw in a load of laundry, and the toddler climbs up on the window sill of the family room gets caught, the brain stopps functing at 3 minutes and the breathing stops one minute later.  Mom comes back upstairs to find her child hanging in the window, lifeless.

Think about how little time that is.  Think about what 4 minutes could do to the rest of your life.  Blinds are unsafe.  Regarless of what kits you buy or if you even get them custom made and spend 250 dollar on them.

I was at my friends house yesterday.  She lives in a $250,000 house.  All her blinds are custom made.  I showed her exatcly what happened.  Her blinds did the same thing my little cheap ones did.  and her's were made of wood, about 2 inches wide.

In the metal or plastic lblinds, even if you have the child proof kit, your baby, grandbaby, child that your babysitting can stick their head in the middle and get caught in the middle threads.

When we were kids, we had shades.  Buy them.  They are not that expensive and they sure do keep more light out than blinds do.  Home depot or lowes can cut them the size of your window.

Death is such a bitter sweet thing. 

When a babie dies, they go strait to heaven.  There are no stops, there are NO judgements like the judgement seat of Christ, nothing gets in the Lord's way of hugging the child in his arms.

Please, for my daughters memory, protect your children, your grandchildren, your friends children.  Get them out.  If you live in an apartment, tell the landlord.

Remember, it only takes 4 minutes.

GEL

PS.  Alot of uneducated people on Gods Word have told me that Cheyenne is now an angel.  Humans cannot be angels, nor can they become angels.  Angels are created messengers BY GOD.  Cheyenne is a saint, not an angel.  So remember that when you speak to people about the losses they have suffered in their lives.

Psalms 116 says "precious in the sight of the Lord IS the death of HIS SAINTS"  Doesn;t say angels....says saints. the verb used in present tense, not past, nor future.  She is in heaven, and she is our saint.  I have also NEVER found anywhere in the bible that says any woman is an angel. 

Stormy

Senior Contributor
Jun 16, 2002
St. Louis, Mo
Visit site
✟51,954.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Gel: I am sadden by your loss. God created us with mortal bodies...thus we are subjected daily to harm. But our souls are eternal and your daughter lives with God. I pray that you find the comfort that you so need within the love of God.

When we were kids, we had shades. Buy them.

Do you think shades are the answer? I thought that they have strings that could get wrapped around a child. I have a daycare and we either allow the sun to shine in or have draw drapes that have the cords attached to the floor.

Upvote 0

Auntie

THANK YOU JESUS!!
Apr 16, 2002
Visit site
✟27,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by GreenEyedLady

When we were kids, we had shades.  Buy them.  They are not that expensive and they sure do keep more light out than blinds do.  Home depot or lowes can cut them the size of your window.

Hello GEL,  I have shades thru out my house, and I like them better than the blinds.  Thank you for getting the word out about the dangers of window blinds.  I thought they were safe as long as the cords were out of the way, so I have learned from you that no blinds are safe--none of them.

Death is such a bitter sweet thing. 

When a babie dies, they go strait to heaven.  There are no stops, there are NO judgements like the judgement seat of Christ, nothing gets in the Lord's way of hugging the child in his arms.

Yes, little Cheyenne is with Jesus and in His arms.   

PS.  Alot of uneducated people on Gods Word have told me that Cheyenne is now an angel.  Humans cannot be angels, nor can they become angels.  Angels are created messengers BY GOD.  Cheyenne is a saint, not an angel.  So remember that when you speak to people about the losses they have suffered in their lives.

I guess people think of babies as angels because of the cheribums we see in paintings and art work.  But you are correct, Cheyenne is a saint. 

Upvote 0

OldBadfish

Dec 30, 2001
Montana
✟12,709.00
I offer my condolences on your loss GEL, I also praise God that Cheyenne is with the Lord.

Thank you for sharing that information, my blinds are outta here!!

Also I noticed there are many other cords too that we must be careful with, vaccuum cords, extension cords, cords under the computer desk, etc.

God Bless you GreenEyedLady

Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
GEL,

Take comfort sis, your little baby IS in heaven, and you will definitely see her again.

I want to share something with you that my Pastor talked abt just recently. I believe it will encourage you. It is taken from 2 Samuel 12:

18* And it came to pass on the seventh day, that the child died. And the servants of David feared to tell him that the child was dead: for they said, Behold, while the child was yet alive, we spake unto him, and he would not hearken unto our voice: how will he then vex himself, if we tell him that the child is dead?
19* But when David saw that his servants whispered, David perceived that the child was dead: therefore David said unto his servants, Is the child dead? And they said, He is dead.
20* Then David arose from the earth, and washed, and anointed himself, and changed his apparel, and came into the house of the LORD, and worshipped: then he came to his own house; and when he required, they set bread before him, and he did eat.
21* Then said his servants unto him, What thing is this that thou hast done? thou didst fast and weep for the child, while it was alive; but when the child was dead, thou didst rise and eat bread.
22* And he said, While the child was yet alive, I fasted and wept: for I said, Who can tell whether GOD will be gracious to me, that the child may live?
23* But now he is dead, wherefore should I fast? can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me. [ie you will see your daughter again]
24* And David comforted Bathsheba his wife, and went in unto her, and lay with her: and she bare a son, and he called his name Solomon: and the LORD loved him.

There's a divine principle in the Bible called "restoration". When God restores, he gives u up to 7 times more than what you had, in terms of quantity and quality.

And the way that happens is praise and worship instead of bitterness (i'm not accusing u of that). U see, David got up "anointed himself, and changed his apparel, and came into the house of the LORD, and worshipped", then he ate and slept with his wife Bathsheba.

The result was Solomon! David had i think 5-6 other kids. Yet Solomon was the greatest and recorded in the Bible.

When our church was much younger, we suffered similar losses, and my Pastor was at a lost. Then God told him not to ask why this why that (what's happened has happened but move on to greater things)...but showed him the principle of God's restoration.

Elsewhere in the Bible (Leviticus) also contain God's principle on restoration. eg when someone steals something from you, he is to pay you back double etc. Satan has stolen from you, but if you can claim your rights in Christ, God can restore 7-fold back to you.

God bless.

Upvote 0

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
*displaced* CA, soon to be AZ!
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've done some research on the web myself on this topic. I'm convinced that this particular type of incident is gravely under-reported. The Window Covering Manufacturer's Association has been working with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission since 1985, and from all the literature I've found, the experts feel that by eliminating the looped pull cord, the problem is solved.

From GEL's point of view, they've made a horrible assumption. NOBODY knows about the dangers that still remain in households all over the world. Miniblinds are fashionable; you do a web search and you'll find more blinds and decorating hints than you'd ever dream possible.

What to do? COMPLAIN!

First:
If you know of ANY INJURY from ANY PRODUCT sold in the United States, report it to the US Consumer Product Safety Commission. They aren't going to be able to help people if they don't know about the problem! You can email them at info@cpsc.gov, or you can get the form from their website at
http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PUBS/cpsr_nws07.pdf

Or you can call them at 1 (800) 638-2772

If you know of people who have had problems with miniblinds, contact the Window Covering Manufacturing Association, at 1 (212) 661-4261, or the Window Covering Safety Council at 1 (800) 506-4636.

If there is a product you know to be unsafe, tell someone. Either contact the Consumer Product Safety Commission, above, or also try Good Housekeeping
http://magazines.ivillage.com/goodhousekeeping/mail/spc/0,12876,287174_446688,00.html
They have an Institute where they test products and report to the readers of Good Housekeeping magazine.

There's also Cosumer's Union, the publisher of the magazine "Consumer Reports." They are available at
http://www.consumersunion.org/aboutcu/contact.htm

Let's tell everyone about Cheyenne!

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Upvote 0

GreenEyedLady

My little Dinky Doo
Jan 15, 2002
Missouri
Visit site
✟4,791.00
Faith
Baptist
This is an e-mail i recieved today.

Like I said every 2 weeks a baby dies from blinds. 2 weeks before Cheyenne died a baby die the SAME WAY

"If you want, I can mail you the feature article that was in our
newspaper here yesterday...It was a 14-month-old girl who died by
blinds here on Memorial Day, it was the middle thing in the blinds
(the one that pulls the blinds up)._ I have a feeling the mom would
like to hear from others, either you or I could try to find her
through the reporter._ Let me know if you want me to send you the
article._ Actually I think I'll e-mail the reporter now and give her
your name and addy to give to the mom, whose name is Valerie
Rountree._ She also has a 6-year-old daughter...will let you know if
the reporter replies and you can go from there, I hope it will work
out._ Also we have an active member of our group in AShburn VA, I'll
see if she knows anything about the Bellers.___
Btw I did once hear of a twin situation with this, about 10 years ago
in Denver (though sadly I'm sure there have been others with a twin
as well)._
Talk more soon._ Jean"

I will post the article as soon as it is sent to me.
GEL

Upvote 0

Messenger

Simplicity of Life
Jan 15, 2002
Missouri
Visit site
✟17,227.00
Faith
Christian
Thanks for sharing this with us Gel. I have shared your story with others. I believe sometimes we feel a false sence of safety when we see they sale baby proofing supplies to keep the long cord up you believe this is safe. My little girl use to play with blinds in her bedroom...I got tierd of them getting bent up so I took them down never realizing the danger. Cheyenne death is a great lose but as you told us 14 saved and turn to Jesus and many babies will live because of your story. I wish we could turn back time. She is so adorable! This is truely tragic. I understand what your saying she is a saint sometimes people use the word angel losely...I call my 2 1/2 year old my little angel.

Take care Gel...you and your family are in my prayers.
Love and God Bless you!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GreenEyedLady

My little Dinky Doo
Jan 15, 2002
Missouri
Visit site
✟4,791.00
Faith
Baptist
I got the article and cried when I read it. I immediatley called information to try and reach the April's mom. They live in Alaska. I got 1 number and called and left a message.
She called today. We spoke for 45 mintues about our trageties and our little saints. Please keep Valerie in your prayers also.
April died on May 27th Memorial Day...2 days after Cheyenne's bithday. April died the same way Cheyenne did. 2 weeks beofre Cheyenne passed away. THIS PROVES THAT IT HAPPENS EVERY 2 WEEKS PEOPLE!!!!!
THIS MUST BE STOPPED!!!
Please pray for my new site that i will be publishing soon. Pray that it will make a differance in people's lives. Pray that it will give comfort as well as SAVE BABIES. :pray:
GEL

Upvote 0