Blessing children with baptism during communion?

DexterMorse2f

Jun 17, 2013
Tooele Utah
✟7,868.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The LCMS church I've been attending is small, and the pastor did something during the last communion I had never seen before.

He announced that the confirmed would receive communion, and that children could come forward for a blessing of baptism.

Then the kids who came forward had water placed on their head.

Is this standard practice in some LCMS churches?

I thought baptism was a one time thing, so I found it odd for that to replace communion for the kids.

alexnbethmom

Lutheran Chick
Aug 4, 2010
New Jersey
✟16,980.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
i have never heard of that, or witnessed that.....

my home church pastor would give a blessing to the kids during communion, he would place his hand on their heads and say something to the effect of "always remember the blessing and promises of your baptism - in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit", but there was no water involved.

my husband, when kids come up for the blessing, places his hand on their heads and says "may our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ bless and keep you in all your days - in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit" - but again, there is no water involved (unless he's actually performing a baptism).

i wonder if what you witnessed was more of a Catholic throwback, using water for them to remember their baptism, but was not really baptizing them again.

Upvote 0

DexterMorse2f

Jun 17, 2013
Tooele Utah
✟7,868.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
my home church pastor would give a blessing to the kids during communion, he would place his hand on their heads and say something to the effect of "always remember the blessing and promises of your baptism - in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit", but there was no water involved.

Yeah that sounds more like what he did.

It's good to know I won't have to call him heterodox to his face, or declare him "not a confessional Lutheran". Although by doing such, I'd feel like a true Lutheran. :p Jk Jk

Upvote 0

Lupinus

May 28, 2007
SC
✟8,723.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Allowing children to come up with their parents to receive a blessing while the confirmed receive communion is normal, at least to my knowledge.

But what you describe, unless there is a misunderstanding, is quite strange indeed. If he is baptizing/"rebaptizing" during this I would say he is in error.

Now, I have been to services where water was sprinkled about as a remembrance of baptism, so maybe that is the case....

Upvote 0

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Usually there is a blessing but no water involved.

I can't say that I know of a specific theological problem with using holy water for the blessing. A few churches that I've been to leave the baptismal font at the entrance to the sanctuary so that one can make the sign of the cross on their head with the water on their way in or out.

Upvote 0