Sydney, Straya
✟1,167,262.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My wife and I are currently on holiday in Greece, having met up with our eldest daughter and her husband who are visiting from the U.S.
We were incredibly blessed to discover a relatively new church here in Thessaloniki, a 30 minute walk from where we are staying, dedicated to the Dormition of the Theotokos. We came for a vigil service a few days (nights) ago and then again for the feast day. The church is huge and is absolutely beautiful inside. There are still a few walls, columns and ceilings that have yet to be frescoed but the bulk of the church is already finished. We were in tears the first the we walked in.
20220815_104253.jpg

20220811_212049.jpg

20220815_102423.jpg

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,167,262.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Blessed Feast!

Which church is that (I can't find one named 'Dormition' but maybe I'm not searching the Greek term)? It looks wonderful. Thessaloniki really has some wonderful churches
Ekklisia Kimisi Theotokou
Google Maps

Reactions: Dewi Sant
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,167,262.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
thanks!
My local one when I'm in Thess. is St. Therapon's
Google Maps
Have you visited Analipseos (Ascension)? It was our original home parish when we were living here
Google Maps

I'm surprised we never visited St Therapon. It is straight up to the end of Markou Botsari and we used to live near the park above Vasilisis Olgas. Looking at the photos on google, it is absolutely beautiful

Last edited:
Reactions: Dewi Sant
Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My wife and I are currently on holiday in Greece, having met up with our eldest daughter and her husband who are visiting from the U.S.
We were incredibly blessed to discover a relatively new church here in Thessaloniki, a 30 minute walk from where we are staying, dedicated to the Dormition of the Theotokos. We came for a vigil service a few days (nights) ago and then again for the feast day. The church is huge and is absolutely beautiful inside. There are still a few walls, columns and ceilings that have yet to be frescoed but the bulk of the church is already finished. We were in tears the first the we walked in.
View attachment 319749

View attachment 319750

View attachment 319751
Lovely! Blessed Feast!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums